• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html