• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html