• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I would love to hear the vinyl remaster of this pick. I don't really have a "favorite" year for band. Sure, I like some ears better than others but, i consider myself blessed to "like it all". With that being said, Dicks Picks #2, 10/31/71, single disc knockout release! would definitley be in my "you can only take 10 shows with you" stack!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

My 48 was handed off to USPS, and the phuqing idiots sent it to the wrong post office. Who knows if I’ll ever see it. Dumbasses

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

BTK....once again, I'm sure we were at alot of the same shows .... I have great memories of Halloween at BCT in 84 ... both the music AND the crazy costumes ... as I recall, they did a great "halloween space". Also (still have) one of my favorite t-shirts ... black, full moon in upper left corner featuring Jerry's face in the surface, skeleton with shades playing a pumpkin guitar flying through the frame... "Halloweeeeeeeeen at Berkeley". Good times had by all..........tcc

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!!!

Awesome sonic upgrade on the UCLA show. Super nice crunchy Other One. But I knew that already. Did you?!!!

Looking forward to 10/24/70 on drive home.............

Music is given to us with the sole purpose of establishing an order in things, including, and particularly, the coordination between man and time......

Rock on,

Doc
To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also........

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

39 years ago today ( along with top China cat and allot of other folks who post here on this forum) we were having a great time with the the Good old Grateful Dead at the tiny BCT. Great show , great run. The Dead had put up big sheets of paper out in the lobby on the walls so you could write them messages.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I noticed when I ripped 48 in someone out there in internet-land created an into symbol....

17 - The Other One →

versus using ->

I like it, now I need to figure out how to use it!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Hopefully 48 will warm me up as it appeared in our box serendipitously this WE (no notice)
10/24/70 interesting after 1 spin…

Hope this posts…

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 2 weeks

Sold out.. ?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Danehead

Yes, looks like it sold out

#46 and #47 are still available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

yes seemingly sold out.

Meanwhile my own copy is supposedly out for delivery. No notice rec'd.
edit/update: sure enough, received today!

user picture

Member for

8 years

… believe it or not , Kieth is only credited of playing piano on only one of the Dave’s Picks series so far which is Dave’s Picks #45. He also plays keyboards on this release as well.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Oh man I loved the BCT! Probably rubbing shoulders with some of you all there. We were so lucky in those days we had a connection for "family tix" down in front maybe center 8 rows back. I had a D5 in the brand new taping section and would run back there for the flip! Oh what fun we had!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In the house. Getting reading to rip it!

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I bought the yearly subscription and I'm kind of worried that there's no shipping notice yet.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nitecat

Nice Brent tribute.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

No shipping notice at all but my USPS account says I will be receiving DP #48 tomorrow 10/31. I'm pretty much fed up with the customer service.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

No shipping notice, but it arrived anyway, along with a few inches of snow!

I was heading out to run an errand and grabbed Pure Jerry from July 1977 off the shelf for the drive, but then found #48 in the mailbox, so stuffed that in the van's CD player instead.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

40 years ago tonight, The Grateful Dead were tearing it up in their hometown and we were lucky enough to be there. It was really hard to get tickets for these shows at the tiny Marin Vets Auditorium. The Dead played great, and we really cut loose and had a great time. Next stop Halloween and the last St Stephen.

I think it was Thatmike that mentioned this book by David Cain a year or so back. It's a Deadheads guide, in that it written by one, for others, of all the shows from October, briefly reviewed according the the writers subjective views. Hugely enjoyable it is, too. Maybe not for everyone - he talks about things he doesn't like as well as what he likes, which might freak some people out. But I like it.

He attaches a rose to shows he really recommends, and I noticed he gave one to The Frost show from 10/9/82 which I think -forgive me if I'm wrong- Cousins recommended recently. Obviously a show to look out for if I've got that right.

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

yesterday no. 4756 w/out notification, no BIGGIE as that happens from time to time,
enjoy PAULEY and the Kiel Opera everyone!

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

10/12/68 has to be up on top of that list October shows, because it is a knockout and should be an official release. Cousins is right about 10/9/82 at the Frost, it was a blast and definitely should be released.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 2 weeks

Fastest "sold-out" in a few years I believe.. Hopefully that will mean more 70/71..

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

but the website won't let me post the discount code I ran across that brought the price down to $89.73....Hey Now That's Bogus Folks That Be!!!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

test

Edit. damn I cant respond to icecreamkids kind words about my tribute to brent!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Damn, there's nothing objectionable in my response to kid AT ALL. Why is my post being blocked? Marye???

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by nitecat

gfy

there's either gremlins in the machine or this is just another example of lameness taking over the world

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

#5925 has arrived unannounced.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Is the Kiel Opera House a different venue from the Kiel Auditorium?

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Back at the tiny Marin Veterans Auditorium with the Good old Grateful Dead for Halloween. The last time the Dead would play St. Stephen. I saw the Dead play it 2×, 7/13/76 at the Orpheum Theatre was the other time. The Dead first played St. Stephen 5/24/68 in St. Louis, they played it 289 times.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

made it home.

Trying to decide...halloween. Do a crack a cold one and delve into it tonight?

Maybe a bowl will help me decide.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Same building BITD but separate with one side auditorium and the other side opera house with the stages actually back to back. Auditorium torn down later but they left the opera house standing, now renamed. That wasn't the first auditorium on that site either as I recall.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

10/12, 1968.

Been forever, over 20 years since I listened to it.

A little philosophical discussion. I tend to agree that as much of the early stuff as possible needs to be released as soon as possible as there are precious heads that either went to that show or wished they had, that would like it to be released while they are with us. I still want the newer material but I think we owe it to these older heads to help them get what they need.

Edit: I still believe they will move to streaming only sometime in the not too distant future. I also think they are putting out these elegant releases as only they can do it. 25 years from now, these physical shows with elaborate artwork will be worth a fortune. I mean there are kids that pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for the digital image of a lunchbox, because it is the only image of that particular lunchbox. I am so happy I grew up when I did, the best of times, now may be entering the worst of times.

Trouble posting - I would image many realize how close we are to quantum computing. Once we have that, there are no passwords as computers can crack any code.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

10-31-71 vinyl has been delivered on 10-31.

Number 18/3500 no less.

Probably won’t spin it for a few days as I’m going with DaP48 first.

Now to taste test some candy before I start handing it out….

Saw your message nitecat.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Made it home despite it going to the wrong post office. I never got a shipping notification

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Never mind that #9641 had hit my mailbox several hours earlier today. It’s all good. Not spinning it tonight but read the liner notes already. Loves me some Bill Walton.

I’m a big fan of the Keith initiation tour so this one helps to salvage a somewhat lackluster year in the Dave’s Picks series. Very encouraging to see it sell out this quickly.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I had to go with disc 3 first, because I don’t have time for the whole ‘71 show tonight.
I just gotta say, when the boys bust into a St. Stephen riff towards the end of Good Lovin, well, let’s just say I “lost my mind” a little bit.
I’m always hesitant to put ‘70 ahead of ‘71 ( mainly because I know Doc is on here) and with his complete 1971 expertise and knowledge, it seems silly to prefer 1970. But I do. It’s just a bit more raw and unhinged. I’m sure Doc loves ‘70 stuff too, but, I like what I like. In fact, I will coin a phrase none of you have ever heard before:
It’s ALL good!! 😂🤣

user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Hey now is out of control

Can't post anything

Proudfoot style posts the only way to go now

EDIT: of course this one gets through right away

....which is a first for me. Like Mr. Ones, I'm going to start with 10.24.70 right now. Because I've got a double header tonight. Corpse Bride, followed by the new Evil Dead movie. Let's get greasy and gross.
Happy Halloween you freaks!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html