• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

In no order...originals only...

Dark Star
Caution
Born Cross Eyed
Cryptical
St Stephen
The Eleven
Here Comes Sunshine
Weather Report Suite
Loser
Candyman
Morning Dew
Wharf Rat
Stella Blue
New Potato Caboose
Candyman
Shakedown Street
Scarlet Begonias
Help/Slip
King Solomon’s Marbles
Victim
Blues for Allah
Mountains of Moon
What’s become of the Baby
Attics of My Life

Ok, that’s stream of consciousness, so only 10...

Dark Star
King Solomon’s Marbles
Help/Slip
Here Comes Sunshine
Weather Report Suite
Wharf Rat
St Stephen
The Eleven
Loser
Cryptical Envelopment
BONUS: 73-73 Eyes

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Since you left out Rider, you can't have the jam in between! And, what's a live version without the jam in between! :-P

-edit- oops, I was reading older posts first LOL Sorry, Daverock just saw your message about the jams...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I didn't leave out Rider in my second list of favourite music.

Ha - no problem!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...this is a whole lot harder than I thought LOL I Chosen these top ten songs from the Grateful Dead complete musical songs and live performances! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

The Dead played covers so unfaithful to the original versions, they absolutely became their own.

Top Ten:

The Same Thing
Brown-Eyed Women
Death Don't Have No Mercy
Loser
Me And My Uncle
You Win Again
Mr. Charlie
Jack A Roe
Big River
Don't Ease Me In

It's pretty hard to have a top ten. When I first went over songs, I started with 40.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

INPO

Jack Straw
Scarlet>Fire (Scarlet if I can only have one)
Help>Slip>Franklins (Franklins if I can only have one)
Wharf Rat
The Other One
Dark Star
St. Stephen
The Eleven
Here Comes Sunshine
Mountains of the Moon

Rubin and Cherise would be on the list, but it really is a JGB song.

Top 5 covers

Morning Dew
Peggy-O
She Belongs to Me
Visions of Johanna
Rubin and Cherise (That way I am covered)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....Cumberland
Caution
The Eleven
Still pondering. (I'm sneaking in an extra)

....happy wife, happy life.
With everyone disagreeing these days, can we all just agree that Dark Star, PITB, Truckin' and The Other One are givens?? Serious question. Look deep in your Grateful Dead lovin' soul, and you know its true.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Dark Star
St. Stephen
The Eleven
Playin' in the Band
Eyes of the World
Ripple
Two Souls in Communion
Sugaree
Help on the Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower
Althea

Really all of the rest of them too...Honestly it would have been easier to pick my least favorite songs but I am not sure I would have 10.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Help>Slip>Franklin
Brown-Eyed Women
Sugaree
Scarlet>Fire
Jack Straw
He's Gone
Bertha
The Other One
Dark Star
Wharf Rat
Loser

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Wave to the wind
Easy answers
I fought the law
Samba in the rain

Ok enough snark

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I can paste the link into my comment box, but when I press save to send it to the forum it doesn't cross over.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I have not made comments here for a while. Just wonder if there are other folks in Europe that still has not got their Dave´s 34 delivered? On April 30 I got an upbeat "Good news! Your order is on the way!" Since then 47 days have passed and no sign whatsoever of my order with bonus dics. I hope other people have been more lucky.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by bjornindia

Bjornindia….I get the impression a lot have now been delivered-I got mine here in England about a week ago. Hopefully yours will arrive in the next day or so-but if not it might be as well to contact Marye

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Dark Star of course
The Wheel
Stagger Lee
Althea
Bertha
Estimated-Eyes (but mostly 73/74 Eyes)
Throwing Stones
Scarlet-Fire
Help-Sliplnot-Franklin's Tower
Truckin-The Other One
China-Rider

So many more!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Dark-Star

Impossible!!

Like others, I am including covers and medleys.

Morning Dew
Eyes of the World
Dark Star
TOO
PITB
China>Rider
Help/Slipknot!/Franklins
To Lay Me Down
Comes a Time
All the Dylan Covers (Desolation Row floats to the top)
All the other Garcia Ballads

I left so many off!!! Impossible.

Edit: Adding Scarlet>Fire. Something up there must have to get bumped..
Correction: Replace TOO with all songs on Anthem of the Sun, and somehow add in Viola Lee Blues.
Edit#2: Adding in all songs from WMD and AB, and Brown Eyed Woman + Jack Straw. These songs are true classics and should be granted a waiver from counting towards a top 10 list.

This is one of those impossible riddles that's impossible to solve.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...this exercise/Game makes my brain twitch! Lol ha ha!
Top 11 Dead Songs-

1. "That's It for the Other One"
2. Cryptical Envelopment
II. Quadlibet
The Faster We Go, the Rounder We Get
3. New Potato Caboose"
4. "Born Cross-Eyed"
5. " Alligator"
"Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)
6. St. Stephen"
7. Dupree's Diamond Blues"
8. "Doin' That Rag" 4:41
9"Mountains of the Moon"
"10. China Cat Sunflower
11. "Cosmic Charlie
& if I’m allowed, 3more...
*#12Morning Dew
*#13Cream Puff War"
*#14"Viola Lee Blues"
...I’m melting., melting
M
E
L
T
I
N
G
Y

Have a grateful day everyone, take care my brothers and sisters! 🙏❤️💀🌹🤠pigpen RIP Fat Man RIP😔

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I can't believe no one included this in their top ten. A perfect song, and I don't think I've heard Garcia give it an uninspired performance.

Great song! The music was written by Jerry Garcia and John Dawson of NRPS and the lyrics are by Robert Hunter!
The final song arrangement performed in the studio is quite different than the original composition if I remember correctly.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The most played Grateful Dead song around campfires across the United States for going on 50 years.
-BAR/NONE-

I need to add to this. The most played song of ANY song played around campfires in the United States for going on 50 years , period.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Strider 808808

I concure with strider88 , good Ol campfire music, much like the two albums ‘American beauty’and ‘working mans dead‘ both scream out Americana!
Primo good Ol’Grateful Dead sing along songs!

I think we have to assume all the songs from American Beauty and Working Mans Dead were grandfathered in, add in the never released on Studio LP songs from E72.

Yes, how could we forget FOTD? Perhaps because it's one of those rare songs were the studio version is the classic, best version and it never really climbed as high live (my opinion).

Brown Eyed Woman, Jack Straw, Attics, Brokedown Palace, Cumberland Blues.. goodness, what a treasure chest.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

"You can borrow from the devil or you can borrow from a friend, the devil give you twenty, when your friend got only ten".

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Need I say, ….as well to count.

Really ANY song on SOME night can be a exploding head moment. What might serve the community better is a definitive list of EVERY song and what is the BEST version of that song. I'm sure as a family we can come to together and create one list we all agree on, right? Lets say for instance, "The GREATEST Looks Like Rain, EVER, is from 1983-04-16". I think that is a statement we all can get behind. Next, Day Job, I KNOW I saw one, somewhere, wow! Probably still picking pieces of my skull off the ceiling!.

So what's funnier, 10 favorites or BOAT list? :-)

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

The more recent comments got me wondering: are we listing the best songs, as they exist in their pure construction, or are we listing the songs that we enjoyed most in a live setting? Friend of the Devil, as mentioned, is a perfect song, but perhaps was not always the best song at a concert. On the other hand, The Eleven might be the epitome of a Grate concert song, but would likely not have been that interesting on an album.

Top Five Concert Songs:
The Eleven
China-->Rider
Eyes
Scarlet-->Fire
The Other One

(Plus Let It Grow as a sixth. Whoops!)

This started as simply “your 10 favorite original GD songs“ (I think?)...but of course any time you ask a bunch of bolos and bozos to complete a task your gonna get more than you bargained for! Lol 😉

EDIT: I don’t know Dennis, that 10/10/82 LL Rain is a real dazzler! And what are you thinking....we can’t even put a favorite song list together and there’s only a few hundred of those, how the hell are we going to chose a best version lists from the THOUSANDS of versions....there’s always one folks! LOL

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

70's: probably from 78 imo, 5-14 or 7-5? Jerry loved to rip the solo in 78.
80's and beyond: 10-3-87

Best version that I have heard so far, the version from Dead Set. Jerry and Brent kill it on this version.

Love the way this song changed in 1976, with the extended versions.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....Shakedown Street. Added to
Brokedown Palace
The Eleven
Cumberland Blues
Caution
That's five. I'm getting there. Reminder. I'm not including Dark Star, PITB, Truckin' or TOO. Those are no brainers IMO.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...this Lazy Summer Home....

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Relix Magazine 1978

Which are your favorite songs, the ones you are proudest of?

I like Ripple a whole lot and It Must have Been The Roses, Cumberland Blues, Dupree, Ramble on Rose is a particular favorite - there's something funny about that song.

Friend Of The Devil "I thought that was the closest we've come to what may be a classic song."

- Robert Hunter

I've said this before, the best Looks Like Rain is Frost Amphitheatre, October 10, 1982. Bob's speech and then his and Jerry's outro is simply perfect. "They say into each life a little rain must fall. In my life, it's coming' down like a big brick wall".

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'll have to tune that one in again later. Thanks!

P.S. Nice work Sixtus if that's your gate :-) What does the plaque say?

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Personally, I can only complete this 10 favorites list in the following manner:
Studio-not in order
Truckin’
Uncle John’s Band
Casey Jones
Friend Of The Devil
Terrapin Station
Estimated Prophet
Ripple
St. Stephen
Brokedown Palace
Crazy Fingers

Live-kind of in order
Dark Star
Viola Lee Blues
Turn On Your Lovelight
Caution
Cold Rain & Snow
Wharf Rat
Morning Dew
Here Comes Sunshine
Bird Song
Blues For Allah-yeah, I know, but all 3 versions are SPECTACULAR!!

So now, it’s time for y’all to rip me a new one!!
And don’t forget......Music is the Best!!

First.. great conversation, I need to look back to the origin.

Second, I love that none of us (a couple exceptions, bless their souls) can follow the rules. Bend them perhaps... I get a kick out of that, and in a benevolent way.

Back to your regularly scheduled St. Stephen>The Eleven.

Edit: Includes the William Tell Bridge.

user picture

Member for

7 years

1. Eyes 2. pitb 3. Tennessee jed 4. TIFTOO 5. Bird song 6. Dark star 7. LIG 8. St.stephen 9. Cosmic Charlie 10. Morning dew P.S.- not in order and may change due to state of mind. Bonus- Mr.charlie.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

It seems fidelity might be lost, unfortunately...
...it reads, upon close inspection:

'The Lazy Gate'

Surrounded by Familiar, Happy Icons of Grateful Lore.
Covered among rampant roses, pink.

The current and existing entrance into the Gardens of Sixtus; this being our first exposure to the joys of nature it being our inaugural summer here; we truly have no idea What will pop, and When. Each jaunt among the gardens delivers newly found joys of nature's bounty and immense offerings - coupled with opportunities for reflection.

Be well, All!

Sixtus

P.S.
The Eleven:
Eyes; H>S>F (is that one or three? (I'm calling One)); Estimated; TMNS; Crazy Fingers; Bird Song; Dark Star; Peggy 'O; Terrapin; Scarlet>Fire; Wharf Rat

user picture

Member for

7 years

And peggy-o, Estimated and Help/slip/frank. Wow, this is not easy.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Love their take on that tune..

From some google searches, I think that song might have originated in the 1500's (could be wrong, would love some fact checking).

A personal favorite.

I have never met a Peggy-O I would not Marry-O.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

So I've read the usual suspects:
-Long Strange Trip
-So Many Roads
-Deal-Kreutzman
-Cornell 77
-Searching for the Sound-Lesh (my vote for the better of the five)

Next, I think I'd like to read the "Bear" "Steve Parish" or "Bill Graham" bios...anybody read them? Any suggestions for some interesting Dead related/or loosely Dead related books you've enjoyed?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by RobbZ

I have read them all.

Phils book was quite good.. McNalleys and Blairs were equally good. Long Strange Trip was perhaps the hardest read, but rewarding.

Parishes, although perhaps the most entertaining, had it's drawbacks.

I like them all. I did not read the dis't book that came out in 2015. I have no interest in gossip, but history is fun.

Of the unread, the Bear book is certainly the most fun. Rosie McGee wrote a book that was fun too, as did I think one of Bears GF's, but that might be the Bear Book you speak of.. great fun.

Also, highly recommended are the two Orange Sunshine The Brotherhood of Eternal Love books (yes there are two). Great reads.

Edit: The two Owsley Books are (I think)
Bear: The Life and Times of Augustus Owsley and
Owsley and Me: My LSD Family: Stanley, Rhoney Gissen

Really both must reads. Great books.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I've read every goddamn rock biography I've been able to get my hands on. The Dead ones you've mentioned are all good. I'm currently 2/3 way through the Ted Templeman autobio. Just before that was John Entwistle's first - ! - though boring and slowly written, the man was hands down the best bass player I ever saw.

I am highly intelligent and an extremely fast, voracious reader with a photographic memory. On the surface, a statement like that may come across as egotistical, fantastical, or just arrogant, but in reality it's just true.

So like scenes in real life, I can vicariously place myself into the situations of the protagonists, rock heroes in these books I devour. Having done all the drugs and had all the sex and endured slight flirtations with the law, I have soaked into my being all of these shared experiences, of our collective bad ass conscicenceness. I am he as you are we and we are all together... that was from memory, either mine or someone else's, did I get it right?

Lennon, porn, insanity, drugs. The one your mother warned you about.

Ever been thinking a thought and wanted to spit it out before someone else said it first? Felt like you fed it to them when they did? Yes, of course. Ever been tripping and had the same shared feeling wash through the room, invisible though tangible, with everyone making eye contact and laughing and locking in, together, though for an indeterminately brief and instantly lost period of time?

We're all as connected as those groves of Aspen trees they call the world's largest living organism. Or whatever the fuck. When you glance at the clock, how often is it 12:21 or 3:03 or 2:22?

Just words. Be well and carry on.

\m/

user picture

Member for

7 years

PM back at you. I'm going to get workingman's dead now before I forget.

The first one I read was by Hank Harrison, and my edition was called simply "The Grateful Dead." First published in 1973. Apparently Harrison was the bands manager for about 5 minutes around 1966. But there is very little mention of him in any books apart from his own-which are actually more about him than the band. He wrote a follow up, and a third was promised, although I don't think that ever materialised. As the first two were shameless exercises in self promotion, this might not have been a bad thing.

My favourite was "The Music Never Stopped" by Blair Jackson, that came out about 1983. It opened with a great review of them playing Ventura, and the appendix had a review of tapes. This was the first time I had ever read about tapes, and I used to read his review of them and wonder how on earth you got hold of them. Little did I know what was just round the corner..

I haven't read many of The Dead books that have come out over the last 10 years. Rosie McGhees is one that interests me. A really good book that refers to the Dead throughout, "Heads -A biography of psychedelic America" by Jesse Jarnow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

"The Jefferson Airplane and the San Francisco Sound" by Ralph J. Gleason (Ballantine Books, 1969)

Subtitled "The story of The Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Big Brother and the Holding Company, The Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Fillmore Auditorium, Bill Graham, The Family Dog and the coming of age of rock 'n roll in San Francisco"

That covers pretty much everything one could wish for. Of course the venerable Mr. Gleason was there right in the thick of it so he knows as much, if not more than anyone. It also contains 16 pages of photos and a 22 page interview with Jerry Garcia, the guru and a pretty comprehensive 10 page list of San Francisco bands.

This has been out of print for decades and is probably incredibly hard to find now, unless it has either been reprinted or published in digital form. Well worth seeking out.

https://www.dead.net/features/blog/literary-underground-grateful-dead-r…

There are used copies out there but they are not cheap.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Yes, the Ralph Gleason book on San Francisco bands is another good one. I have just remembered the Garcia one-"A Sign Post To New Space," which I thought was excellent-although I seem to remember reading that Garcia himself was subsequently embarrassed by it.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html