• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

If I had missed the page for the sale of #38. Now I know this is maybe a new rule for sales. Ship subscribers and dont open for sale until the day of release. Not sure if that is true or is it the or some special artwork??? Cant wait to see. I hope it is the poster for these shows, which I have. Will write more later, not wanting to spoil the trip...

Edit: well just checked my farseer email and see the artwork. Not the poster. Email sent 10 minutes ago...

Edit 2: OOOps wrong show poster is for March shows, see old brainism

• Gary Farseer
    JoshbytheBay-Without a Net-Mind Blown Pt 1

I watched a documentary a few days back. I am sure you all have seen on the History Channel the various docs. I cant remember what the title was, and like I have written, memory aint what it used to be. It was on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had posted a few years back that on the day off during the NYE1987 run, my friends and I walked to the mid-point of the Golden Gate Bridge and back, somewhere around 10 pm. It was super cold and a strong western wind. In the documentary, it talked about them at one point putting up a net to protect the bridge builders. I also remember a couple of years back that they had a drive to collect money to put another permanent net type device to prevent jumpers. Any way, long story short, I never put it together that the live album, Without a Net, was not just shot in the dark title (about the circus coming to town and the razor's edge of improvisation without a net) but also some San Fran history to boot. Those guys were on top of so much Americana that it is mind blowing.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I wouldn't worry about a shipping notice. For #36 I never received one but it came the usual 4 days after date like all the others. Come to think of it a notice has been an iffy thing. More than a couple of times I didn't get one yet it came nonetheless.

• Vguy72

....I want that glass.

• icecrmcnkd

Get out of bed, brew some GD tea, and upload that chat.

• 1stshow70878

No worries Jimbobwe and Proudfoot. Keep the faith. I was thinking the same then got my shipping notice here in Colorado this week showing Monday 5-3 for delivery. You never know. My July '78 box is #36/15,000.
    Cheers!

• proudfoot
    I haven't received a shipping notice yet, either

What, me worry?

With all the versions of "The Shipping Blues" in the past, one might.

Give it until at least next Friday before any panicking.

No, I am still not a robot.

• Jimbobwe

MDA - I also live in Colorado and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation email...we must be the last batch of subscriptions to ship. Hopefully we hear something soon.

• MDA
    Default Avatar

I have been seeing that a bunch of people have had their 38s for a few days now. I’m sitting here in Colorado still waiting on a shipping notice. Should I be worried??

• Sixtus_

...I've noticed this same thing on the sound Thin. You've described it pretty well. And, I don't hear a whole ton of Phil either, which usually helps to solidify and round out the overall sound with some deeper depth. Not so much here. I assume it's because of the limitations of a two-track to some extent.

I will say though, the 'Let Me Sing Your Blues Away' caught me surely off guard, where I had to stop and do a double take before a huge grin took over my stolen face. It's a pretty jaunty tune, a shame it was shelved so soon.

Hope Others' are receiving theirs and enjoying the ride - off to get #2 JAB shortly, here's to hoping for no adverse events!

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Regarding the posts on shipping issues for Dave's Picks, I was told my order shipped in January and here we are in March, stll no delivery. Informed overseas orders take longer, however I live in New York state, which last time I checked was still in the United States.
My advice, next time just order from Amazon (yes they sell Dave's Picks) you will have your merchandise in two days.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I have to chime in here on a current conversation. One of the things that struck me when I was first seeing the Dead was they were so low key, tuning up between songs, cracking jokes with the audience. No showbiz here, and it was very appealing to this 17 year old at the time.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

In reply to by nitecat

I was once channel-surfing and stopped when I saw; The E Channel True Hollywood Story of Jerry Garcia replete with scandalous voice over. Of course I thought Jerry Garcia Hollywood???!!! The man was the antithesis of Hollywood.

Sounds really nice.
On my first listen.

And to think, I got it from Uncle Bezos for less than from Rhino, and free shipping that only took 2 days and had tracking that worked.

If only Rhino valued its customers like Uncle Bezos does.
And let’s not forget that WMG let our personal info be stolen.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just recalled this anniversary just passed, made me recall it's still overdue for vinyl release. Not that it would be released smoothly and equitably. And, yes, foolhardy of me to even bother to ask about another release when there are still several of us who also passed the 4 month mark on no DaP 36, and my order for the glass and shirt and a la carte DaP 37 have yet to finish processing, but I really want that That's It For The Other One on vinyl. I remember downloading it at the library as a college freshman off the then lightning fast T3 connections. Whole show took 45 min to download while I knocked out a couple of papers. And then heard Bill Graham's, "The American version of the Japanese film, Magnificent Seven, the Grateful Dead." Needless to say the next 20 minutes left a smoking crater of my mind before my next class. That Cryptical Reprise is just ripping, and I do not know of one that powerful. There are better Other Ones by far, and better complete TIFTOOs, but I'd love to find a comparable Cryptical ending. And they opened the show with it!

There are those who will point out we need this vinyl like a hole in the head, but trepanning gets a bad rep. I definitely want this on vinyl more than I wanted the last few Dave's Picks and I already own this in the cd box set (thanks again Pierre!), but when they announced the vinyl releases of these I was more pumped because it meant down the line this show would be released on vinyl. So make with the brown vinyl box Dave. Pretty please.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

mostly because they were so...theater.

I always liked the GD being so in the moment. no jumping around, no pyrotechnics, no "ARE YOU READY FOR THIIIIISSS?"

anyway

to those singing the Shipping Blues...my sympathies. I hope I never win that Frustration Lottery.

some receive a ship-ment
some receive a shit-ment

Uncle Bezos...lol

back when the Viaduct still operated in Seattle, there was a section of tunnel. At the entrance, someone graffiti'd, "FUCK BEZOS".

What blew my mind at my first show was how completely and effectively they destroyed my brain with their powerful brand of sonic sorcery, mind = blown, a full cranial Chernobyl. Then little by little after space it somehow magically rebuilt itself.. atom by atom, synapse by synapse starting with a calming and placid standout version of the wheel. Sometime right around dawn it was better, faster, stronger than it had ever been and all was fine with the world.

Or it could have been the acid. Hard to say. Let's call it a tie.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

All I know I could not leave it there. The thing I remember most vividly about my first show was that, to my amazement, somewhere there in the second set, I started dancing, Me, who never danced, anywhere, to anything! And I didn't even realize I was doing it. Just dancing out of pure joy to (I think) a Scar>Fire. This was back before taping was really much of a Thing, so I'd never heard that particular segue before, didn't even know they ever did that.

Mind = blown. Body = dancing.

And then I had this flash of self-consciousness, like, dude, you are a tall geeky white man, and you cannot dance without embarrassing everyone within 100 micrograms, what the fudge do you think you're doing? And then I looked up, and all around, and I saw that EVERYBODY in the theatre was dancing, from front to back, top to bottom. And smiling. Smiling! And I thought, I have seen the Stones, I have seen Zeppelin, I have seen the Who, but I have never seen this. What is it about this band? They're just standing there and playing, how can they do that?

Still trying to figure that out.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

50 years ago today………………

March 5, 1971
Oakland Auditorium Arena

Black Panther Benefit.

Not a lot is known about this show---either how it came about, or what the Dead played that night. I have never seen published full set lists for the show, and I have never heard of (or even heard rumor of) circulating audience or soundboard recordings of this show. According to first hand accounts, “Midnight Hour” and “Lovelight” were played. The rest currently remains shrouded in the fog of time…….

An enigma wrapped in a mystery.

See: http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2010/02/march-5-1971-oakland-auditoriu…

Rock on!!!

Doc
The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Hey DOC, they say it's was a short show not even an hour long.

ps, also looks like they stuck to cover songs, could have only been five or six songs played.

Starting with Anthem of the Sun in 1976. I had no idea how they presented themselves on stage, or the fact that they changed the set list every night until the 1980s. When they came to London in March 1981, it never occurred to me to see them more than once - and it amazed me when I heard the live broadcast of the show from Essen Germany in March that year, and realised they played a different set to the one I had seen. Its very different, following the Dead if you don't live in America. The music that turned me on initially was the music they recorded in the 1960s, and had nothing to do with me seeing them live.

Alvarhanso...I agree with every word you said. 3/1/69...I'd rather have that on vinyl and not get the rest of what comes out this year than the other way round.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

I like this game.

What blew my mind at my first show, July 16 1990, was the fact they opened the Second set with Sugar Magnolia, played the entire (awesome) set, they ended it with Sunshine Daydream. Not really having had too many tapes yet back then, I was totally unaware of the ubiquitousness of this sandwich technique which they had clearly pulled off god knows how many times before; however in my relative naiveté, I thought it was just the COOLEST thing ever...like, that whole set was JUST ONE GIANT SUGAR MAGNOLIA JAM!!!

The other thing that totally blew me away was just all of the friggin PEOPLE, all the the Deadheads EVERYWHERE. Like 100,000 of us. By far the biggest gathering I had ever been to in my existence at that point, and the sheer magnitude of the party was a true eye-opener. And everyone was just so god damn HAPPY.
I realized then, The Good Ole GD are Happiness Ambassadors.
The End.

Happy Friday DeadFreaks!
SIxtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

...By the LSD, a particularly heavy dose. But I was so focused on the women twirl dancing in the aisles & concourse that the music seemed like a separate event, though happening at the same time. One More Saturday Night, for some strange reason, really jumped out at me. Bobby’s vocals can do that sometimes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

....the way they segued songs too! Prior to the Dead, the only other concerts I attended had been heavy metal or punk shows, so these guys were a complete 180 from anything I had witnessed prior. The music, especially in the second sets, never seemed to stop. Then I discovered Phish in 1993. My segue appreciation learning curve by that point made them easy to slide into.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

First show: Pigpen? You may come to the vaccination clinic any time. The show from 3/18/67 will be playing in the waiting area to help calm those with needle anxiety.

First show: Keith? You may come in beginning in April. The show from 4/25/77 will be playing.

First show: Brent? You are welcome beginning May 1st. You will hear the show from 5/6/81 playing.

First show: Vince? We hope to be able to vaccinate you at your local outdoor amphitheater in June, and 6/14/91 will be playing to soothe you.

Never saw the GD live? You likely have immunity because you contracted Covid while continuing to hear live music this past year, figuring you were young and invincible. Your nerves will eventually relax on their own as you hit middle age.

You saw Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions? We should have seen you in January, except you don't know how this Interweb thing works, so you missed your window. Stay home and hit the bowl to calm your nerves.

Not planning on getting vaccinated? We don't want to see you at any Dead & Co. shows once the rest of us get our shots. :)

user picture

Member for

10 years

In 7th grade, our social studies teacher, Mr. Mariano, had an after-school "Rock & Soul Club," where we took turns playing our records. I already had Jimi's Smash Hits and "Red House" was my number, along with "Along the Watchtower." Someone else's older siblings were into this "Grateful Dead" band, so I borrowed Live/Dead to check them out. I put on "Dark Star" and couldn't understand what came out of the speakers. Basically, a super low volume series of notes that I just couldn't "get." Whatever that was, I recognized that I was not yet ready for it.

Fast forward to a year or so later and my older brother brings home Skull & Roses, then American Beauty and we wore out both spinning them over and over. About that time, I got to my first concert, The Chambers Brothers. My mom drove me, then picked me up afterwards!

A year later, I turn 15 in August, then catch the Dead 9-19-72 at Roosevelt Stadium, a hellhole if there ever was one. The crowd is the biggest I've ever been in. I have a chunk of hash. I am determined not to lose my brother and his friends who gave me a ride. I lose them inadvertently, immediately. The music is loud, the crowd is huge, the band doesn't sound exactly like the Skull & Roses album we had been spinning. No recognizable songs. No recognizable people. And, yet, I had no fear, no trepidation, as the band rocked the crowd of maybe 15,000. Every single thing totally unfamiliar, yet I enjoyed myself. Okay, after 2-3 hours I was a little tuckered out. No food, no water, nothing but a toke or two to keep going. After about 3 hours, I was kinda thinking, "WTF? Great show! Probably about time to wrap it up about now!" After the show I stationed myself by the exit by the entrance where we came in, and succeeded (thank the gods!) in snagging my ride home. You did not want to be 15, lost in Jersey City, NJ, at any time of day or night. Or at any age...

Basically, in a nutshell, I had no idea what I was involved in. Not sure I had tripped yet. That was probably spring '73. I did notice the funny look in a lot of people's eyes, yet everyone was friendly, cool, fun. And I wanted to know more about this weird circus. The ABB played Madison Square Garden in May '73 and I caught one night. So when the GD came back around that June for a double-bill with the ABB at RFK, we were on it like white on rice. Tripped heavily at my second show, 6-9-73 and went up front for China Cat > Rider, guided by a non-tripping friend. Then back to a seat in the stands for the ABB's late show, popped another half tab. Holy crap! A month and a half later, we're up front at Watkins Glen, on Jerry's side, catching the soundcheck while stretched out on our sleeping bags, passing around this, that and some other things. We were snagged, hook, line and sinker.

And here I am, 49 years later, sucking up the vault releases and tellin' stories.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

..I woke up this morning with ‘three little birds’ on my ‘Doorstep’
* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HNBCVM4KbUM

... they told me, June Boxset this year?! 2021

My brother and sisters I welcome Also it Looks like RSD 2021 #1&#2 in June TWOo and more through out the year to come... 2021 is going to be a grateful year indeed! Nothen left to do but Smile Smile smile!
* this info came from a prankster so reader’s beware... peace be with you all on this grateful Friday! I’m knee deep in ‘1968’ the past two days so I’m taking a step forward this afternoon into 1971days & performances starting with the beautiful & soulful sound on 8/7/71 Dicks Picks #35
San Diego, at the ‘Convention Hall’ which this release includes a plethora of 1971 Bonus Songs/performances of 1971... A “5 star” release in my opinion. Rock On you beautiful people! 🙏❤️💀🌹
PS - primo post Hendrixfreak, thanks for sharing as well! :)

Hey LMG, are you saying the box set will be released in June this year?

Sweet, let's get it out.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

My DaP 37 was stuck an hour and a half away waiting to be accepted by USPS for a month. I finally contacted USPS customer service through email and two days later it showed up. I am pretty sure it was my email to USPS that finally got ti delivered since it doesn't look like it went to through the normal channels to get it delivered. 7842/25000 found it's way home!

Hope that this may help others to get their DaP37.

ps. I have to say that I did tell them that it was a rare "limited edition numbered and that it was sold out."

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

and to the rest of you beyond frustrated souls who have yet to receive yours, hang in there!
This ones definitely worth the wait!

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

After observing (and participating a little on) this forum, it’s interesting to see that we have our own kind of ‘soap opera’ going on here.

We consistently have a little bit of drama, a good bit of fun and humor, a little intrigue (what is the next box…?), deception (is this for real?), and camaraderie. We have our fair share of steadfast participants, ’snobs’ (it’s all good), die-hards and bystanders.

Sometimes I feel like a teenager trying to figure out what it all means. Like attempting to understand, interpret the labyrinthine posts by LMG (again, it’s all good!), or trying to decipher the acronym of songs and albums. It seems like heiroglyphics, but I manage. It feels like learning a new language, or how to use SnapChat or Instagram. Wait. What?

Which means we all keep coming back for more.

Again. It’s all good. Thanks for allowing anyone to get on the bus.

Hey HendrixFreak, I live in DTC. Grew up in Rye. Saw many shows in '71 at Capital Theatre in Port Chester but not the GD. Catching up now.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Road Trips Download: Philadelphia, Nov 5, 1979
A download of the complete November 5, 1979 show from the Spectrum in Philadelphia.
Road Trips Download: Philadelphia, Nov 6, 1979
A download of the complete November 6, 1979 show from the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

Could anyone sell me a copy of these two performances from 1979, one of my favorite eras in band’s history. I would be very grateful for anyone’s help being able to provide CDs, I have no computer. Just internet on phone.
Can any one please help. I can pay money, or trade which ever you prefer. I’m hoping someone here can help this old DeadHead out. I never ask for anything on this website but I’m really looking forward to listening two these two performances & recordings on my home entertainment system.
Thank you for any help anyone... 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

A fox box would rox
Go to a lake to listen on the dox
Watch a shell of rowing jox
Eat bagels with cream cheese (no lox)
Then a raven nox
innoculated against smallpox
Fuzzy white sox
Dance around on Tic Tox
Do you hear the populi vox?

Thank you; I have a whole collection of such poetry at the publisher. Order your copy today! Only $59.99....

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Fox
Socks
Box
Knox
Knox in box
Fox in socks
Knox on fox in socks in box
Socks on Knox and Knox in box
Fox in socks on box on Knox

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....is not one of the Suess books that they are going to stop publishing. There are six, and I've only heard of one of them. They are relatively obscure.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Actually have a copy of Mulberry Street that my father was given in 1938!
Unfortunately it has a few pages that are ripped and the binding is held with tape...
I used to love that book when I was a wee lad.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

My initial copy of Dave's Picks 37 was defective in discs 2 and 3. I contacted Warner Bros./Rhino, who sent me replacement discs 2 & 3. Replacement disc 2 was defective in the same place. This is the 3rd or 4th defective discs I have received. After this, I will no longer buy cds from dead.net. If they don't care any more for their customers than to cut quality control and REPEATEDLY ship defective discs, then they are not going to get any more of my business.

Have you tried playing them in a different CD player?

What type of player do you have?
Some people have previously reported that high-end players are less forgiving with minor disc scratches and dust.

On the other hand, replacing defective discs with defective discs has happened before with 6-17-76 CD3. Eventually Rhino figured out the issue and manufactured discs that weren’t defective.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

Too risqué years ago, it’s acceptable in 2021.

Titled
“The cat in the hat and the grinch get caught together in a bathroom stall at a highway rest area”.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

...do you think all those super high notes were enhanced by the tightness of those jump suites?

EDIT: I think Bob coulda used one of them jump suits ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

I have noticed an “anomaly” at about the 6 minute mark of Not Fade Away. There is a sort of channel swapping. It’s kind of hard to describe but it is more detectable when I’m listening on headphones. I never really considered complaining to Rhino about it though since it just seems like a random occurrence. Remember the “caveat emptors” on Dicks Picks? That’s what I feel this falls under.......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

Love ‘78 Dead, in many ways more so than ‘77. I just have to comment about this version of Brown Eyed Women...What were the drummers listening to? They are playing off-beat, the wrong beat, and playing to an entirely different song during this song, lol. What a train wreck! Everything else sounds great so far....

You hear that awkward drumming on browneyedwomen on a few april 78 shows. They were trying something different.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

There's a Jerry quote floating around there when he accosted the drummers on break or after a show somewhere and told them to get their act together, "you guys sound like a popcorn popper"

I like that they were adventurous and experimented. I like it more that with very few exceptions when the train jumped the tracks then knew it and either gently steered it back on course or abandoned ship.... (That whistle on 78-82 Truckin' and slide guitar mockery of cats in heat?) Gotta love the Good Ole Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

A few months back, as I was enjoying the two new Port Chester releases (and revisiting Ladies & Gentlemen and Three From The Vault) I had asked if anyone knew what guitar Jerry played during that period. It was clearly a thicker sound than the Stratocasters he played later in '71 through '72, and definitely not as mid-rangey as the SG. All of the sites I had found on his guitars had large gaps, and I had not found anything on the Peanut (I think Jim and a couple of others knew about the short stint of the Peanut, and the riddle was solved for me).

I just came across the most comprehensive accounting of Garcias guitars as I've ever seen (with pictures):

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2019/08/jerry-garcia-instrument-history-…

Icecrmcnkd - I got a laugh out of your Dr. Seuss post. The irony...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html