• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Another obsession of mine. Last year we got those 2 first sets from the Warfield. I bought them on vinyl and they sound great. Then we got from Garcia the Electric On The Eel shows, with the bonus disc being one of the 1st JGAB shows, Acoustic On The Eel, with the only FOTD ever played. But yes, gimme more...!!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

https://youtu.be/h9r_AOTNJFg

Keithfan, I've had a first press vinyl of Live at Leeds since 1995, but had the cd first, and being a first pressing with full media kit, I never play the record. I've had all the official releases, but since 1998, I've also had a bootleg of the complete SBD, in the correct running order and full recording, including solos that got excised along the way. Since I "grew up" on the cd reissue, I barely remembered the Daltrey scream. But you've now set me on a detour into the Who at least until a certain box set hits my porch. And I'll try to listen to all the versions of Live at Leeds and see if I can pick up differences.

Hope all stay well in Deadland, and that if we all need to take a self-quarantine break next weekend, we just may get through this box set multiple times pretty quickly. My wife would be furious.

user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I have friends in the CDC. They are dedicated public servants. My mother in law is 103 years old. My wife is a cancer survivor. I have had four major surgeries in the past eighteen months. My daughter is a paraplegic from a spinal cord injury with respiratory issues. For all of us the corona virus is an existential threat. To come on a format provided to us to share musical enthusiasms and throw shade on the CDC, who for unfortunate reasons, is all we have as a credible source of information on this disease and how to behave to prevent its spread is beyond the pale. Shame on you.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 10 months

Golly, the previous Box Set didn't even ship until the Monday AFTER it's Friday release date, arriving at my place the following Friday. I don't need Overnight Shipping or anything like that, I just honestly don't understand why these Box Sets inevitably won't be shipped out to us on Monday or Tuesday so that we do, in fact, receive them on their Friday Release Dates. I don't care if the thing comes "Media Mail" as long as it's shipped out 5 days prior to the Street Date.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

38 years ago today, I saw the Dead at the Reno Centennial Coliseum. Show had a lot of energy, the Dead seemed into it. They did a Dear Prudence jam.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

No school, so at home
Wife working from home, so at home
Daughter home from college due to shutdown of campus

those two in the same house...they transform into wenchybitchy creatures from hell.

AAGH.

I sure do miss the old days before this bullshit virus.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Nappy,I didn't make it to that show, it was my dad's birthday and we were having a birthday party for him. It looked like it was a better show than the Reno show.. Also missed 4/22/79, it was my mom's birthday.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

... I have to agree. Those two shows released for RSD were/are “Primo” ! What was the real treat was they used “completely new source “ for that release. Never before used for any past release from these series of performances. The LP is beautiful sounding on my set-up. Sounds like the band is playing in my room! Excelent mix & mastering for sure! The source material is golden. The Cd sounds just as amazing as the LP. Great desperation aucusticaly to me in my opinion .
Have a grateful day everyone , be safe be kind!
Peace be with you my brothers ‘n sisters! 🙏💀🌹
...ps View From The Vault 4 Soundtrack, love this Release aswell , 1987 DEAD , I dig it !😎
...and believe if of not, I have been enjoying 1971 again this past whole week like ‘Carlo13 mention. There’s just so many golden moments in 1971, I love it. The Doc really paved the way/Road to see the absolute beauty & chias in the Dead’s 1971 history! The two 7- releases from the Road Trips Series are Primo, I love them both! Summer 71’ Wow!!! Rock On & a grateful weekend to all...Nothen left to do but
Smile smile smile!
Listening to RT Wall Of around release this morning, primo audio again whicjh can be a tricky thing due to the sound system durning that time period;Wall Of sound. 6/74

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I have a link on my desktop I've yet to do anything with. Has one gotten that Japanese cd of Bob Dylan singles, it's a two cd set. If I understand right it's all the 45's from 65 to 80(?). Might be worth having. Anyone get it?

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Stay safe out there! Would love to see them ship this box early so we can listen as we hunker down and ride out the storm.

Be a Barrier and not a Carrier!!! Social Distancing will save lives!

Grateful my job allows me to work from home. Got a Boston Butt and a Corned Beef, planning to do some smokin' listening to some smokin' GD! Next stop is to get some tasty beverages!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by boblopes

As strange as this sounds, I was pleased the two shows on my calendar next week (wolf bros and Melvin's JGB) were postponed. It looks like Phil isn't turning 80 just yet either.. The spring that never was??

Kids are home from school... life is beginning to stop. Stay safe my friends.. play dead.

Wow, hard to believe 39 years ago this evening....
Funny story about this one. First because I took the greyhound as I didn’t have a car yet and was just starting to break out of only going to somewhat local shows. Short of hitching, that was the only way I was going to get there.
In those days, shows were often GA and being young and fanatical as we were, that meant we usually tried to get up front on the rail. We aspired to be that front row dude in the dead movie, lol.
Utica was no different, but man what a shitty New York “spring” day; cold, damp, and wet...so being young and naive, I had the bright idea that I’d bring a bottle for folks in line to help pass the hours waiting until doors, and brace the chill etc...So after being talked into going for a big dinner, which cost me much of my little cash reserve, I snagged a big bottle of Seagrams 7 and Seven up, which was the nectar of choice with the hard rock band and crew I worked for...
I say naive because most heads weren’t that into drinking like that, at least not before a show. So there I am with this huge bottle and pretty much no one to share it with. Now in those days I could do some serious damage with 7/7 because I had a pretty good tolerance etc. But that big ol bottle was probably too much, or at least it would be later..
So they finally let us in and everyone starts the mad dash for the stage, and of course as I’m jumping over the boards to get on the floor Baracho falls over the edge lol. But being young and numb I bounce right back up and make it up front right in front of Jerry’s gear.
So all might of been good except Dave Homal starts firing up joint after joint, which if anyone remembers what Fabulous Furry Freak Brother Fat Freddie would say “getting drunk, then getting stoned is like pissing in the wind”.
So eventually the aud starts spinning and things are going south, but being the young, dumb, fanatic there was no way I was giving up that spot (idiot! I’m sure I could of gone off to the Lou and they would of saved my spot)
So no surprise I barf over the rail into that little space that there usually was between the stage and the wall, (so much for that expensive dinner!) then proceed to basically pass out sleeping slumped over the wall. Now the security was not pleased, and the young dudes next to me weren’t pleased, and I believe people were making noise about removing me which I was not going to do. Ironically, these guys got too high on acid and eventually one of them ended up having to get handed over the wall to security and removed, while I stuck it out.
I don’t remember much, but I do remember waking up because I could tell the lights went down, and of course there is nothing like that DH roar! So a minute or so later as I start to rejoin the living, just as I’m opening my eyes, Jerry comes around the corner and we make eye contact. He didn’t look much better than I did and I swear we had a moment there. I remember he had a blue or black long sleeve work shirt on and it looked like he’d burned a hole in the pocket. After, Fortunately I ran into Milton Wilkelberry Steamer from back home and he was going to stay with some folks he knew, so I was able to tag along and immediately crashed out. There was no way I was making it back home on the bus that night! Ah the tales of misguided youth!
Anyway, I used to think it was a so so show, but never heard it until a couple years ago when I discovered it was actually decent. In fact I think Dave has played it on Sirius or This day in GD history?
So, maybe not on par with Hendrixfreak stories, but I still get a chuckle!

thank you thank you thank you

I had the good fortune of seeing MD twice, once at the Hollywood Bowl as a teen in the early 80s, and in Seattle at Bumbershoot (an arts and music festival) in...sometime.

When an "anything-but-Grateful-Dead" event happens...listen to this!

...that was a great throwback oration of an extremely visual nature - too funny. Your steadfastness at that rail is A Thing of Legend.

In the vein of oversharing biological output shenanigans - I have my own vomit story....just not nearly as epic. My first dead show, July 16 1990 - we road tripped with a caravan of 8 cars from Cazenovia NY to Buffalo. I was pretty much still a kid freshly turned 18, we all piled into the open slots in the rides with tons of beer, and off we went (we didn't have access to weed yet, sadly). So it's a good several hour trek across NY State, and of course we're boozing the whole way, eating snacks, I specifically recall eating a bunch of brownies (just regular old brownies, nothing special). Well, we get about an hour from Buffalo and I am feeling I need to blow chunks. I happen to be in the 3rd row/seat of a minivan, not riding bitch but near a window...yet we all recall, the windows in mini vans in the way way back don't really open; they only pop open a few inches (or at least back then they did). I really had no choice - so when the hurling hit, I leaned over to that teeny tiny crack and blew chunks out the back sliver of a window, going at like 70 miles an hour down the NY Thruway. Needless to say, when we got out in the lot and I went and looked, there was an immense triangle of brownie vomit caked on the side of the minivan from that window crack all the way to the back of the van, covering most of the back quarter panel. Incidentally, I did feel better after that, and I recall it even rained at one point so most of it got washed off before we parted the lot. In the end I had a great time at the show - and was probably better off getting that outta me as opposed to....errr, the outcome of our friend Oroborous!

Ahhh, first show memories. With vomit.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Too funny! But hey, even as a rookie you followed The Scranton boys rule of hurling; “no shootin’ without a cooler” which translates to it’s ok if you have to as long as it’s out the window, or in a garbage or whatever, as long as it’s not all over: the car, fellow travelers, or yourself! Lol Old Lumpy from Scranton NY would be proud of ya!
FYI, that was a pretty good show! I was with that 20 year old I’ve mentioned, and we ran into our old pal Lee Estee, possibly the last time we hung with him.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

The Who 7/89 Pontiac Silverdome, floor row 32.

Everyone on the floor is standing on the flimsy plastic chairs. We’re a few songs into the first set and the 3 guys in the row in front of me break out a glass pipe and start smoking crack. The guy right in front of me takes a huge hit (I think Jim recently referred to those as a ‘hero hit’), holds it in, then exhales, and passes out while still standing on the chair, and tumbles to the floor unconscious. Security saw him fall, came over, could see that he wasn’t in good shape, grabbed him and took him away.
He never returned and missed an awesome show.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Who doesn't love a good hurling story? I've got a few, but please people - one at a time.

We were driving back to Boulder from the Great American Beer Fest some time in the early to mid 1990's. I was sandwiched in the backseat of a two door, red Chevy Beretta. Against all better judgement a bowl was passed around, and yours truly inhaled.

Now, I didn't have the tolerance I have now, and when the spins and cold sweats came on, being in that middle seat with no back window, a hard choice had to be made.

I leaned slightly forward, and threw up all down myself inside my winter parka. I was so stealth about this, neither wastoid on either side of me even noticed! I zipped up my jacket, relieved but disgusted, and it must've been another ten minutes before someone up front asked, "hey, did somebody puke?"

I got dropped off at my apartment, went inside and straight into the shower. Hosed off the jacket and threw the clothes into the washer, ate some greasy food and sobered up with no one the wiser. To this day, none of those guys know I ralphed into my jacket.

Sometimes, you have to take one for the team.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Anybody notice the strange mixdown of Playing in the Band on the listening party download?

Weird vocal/instrument levels throughout the entire song, incomparable to the other tracks that dropped with it.

Is this an issue with how that song was captured?

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...hoping everyone is well & still rock ‘n...
I had the great pleasure To enjoy a grateful lunch in N. Y. This afternoon. With an old friend & band mate since grade school.
Played some songs , acoustic , together. He started playing The Beatles, I Don't Let Me Down" A song by the English rock band the Beatles, it was recorded in 1969 during the ‘Let It Be’ recording sessions but not included by Phil Spector during the production of the Beatles ‘let it be’ album. It was written by John Lennon and credited to Lennon–McCartney. The band recorded the song with Billy Preston; the single release with "Get Back" was credited to "the Beatles with Billy Preston."
Written by John Lennon as an anguished love song to Yoko Ono, it was interpreted by Paul McCartney as a "genuine plea", with Lennon saying to Ono, "I'm really stepping out of line on this one. I'm really just letting my vulnerability be seen, so you must not let me down."
The song is in the key of E major and is in 4
4 time during the verse, chorus and bridge, but changes to 5
4 in the pick-up to the verse. It grew (like "Sun King") from the F♯m7–E changes from Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross" with McCartney arranging instrumental and vocal parts and Harrison adding a descending two-part lead guitar accompaniment to the verse and a countermelody in the bridge.Alan W. Pollack states that "the counterpoint melody played in octaves during the Alternate Verse by the bass and lead guitars is one of the more novel, unusual instrumental touches you'll find anywhere in the Beatles catalogue."
Multiple versions of "Don't Let Me Down" were recorded by the Beatles during the tumultuous Get Back (Let It Be) recording sessions. The version recorded on 28 January 1969 was released as a B-side to the single "Get Back", recorded the same day. "Get Back" reached number one and "Don't Let Me Down" reached number 35 on the US Billboard Hot 100! When the "Get Back" project was revisited, Phil Spector dropped "Don't Let Me Down" from the Let It Be (1970) album.
The Beatles performed "Don't Let Me Down" twice during their rooftop concert of 30 January 1969, and the first performance was included in the Let It Be (1970) film, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg. In November 2003, a composite edit of the two rooftop versions was released on Let It Be... Naked.
The B-side version of the song was included on the Beatles' compilations Hey Jude, 1967-1970 and Past Masters Volume 2 and Mono Masters. The same recording also appears on the soundtrack to the 1988 documentary, Imagine: John Lennon... sorry rambling,
Today I found a copy of Dicks Picks #25 first edition & believe it of not still sealed! In a record shop across the street from the restaurant . Walked out with the Dicks Picks & still sealed ‘The last emperor’ film Score on vinyl record LP! A great movie /film , for history purposes on the ‘bidden city’ ...
And also grab’d Al DiMeola’s , Beatles tribute album on LP& CD/ brand new release from this amazing guitar player and dear friend. And a a brand new copy Grateful Dead ‘Dicks Picks #36.! Primo 72’ performance, for $35 dollars! Did The Dead or Jerry ever perform this Beatles tune? 💀🌹
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

This week stephen stills is playing on T.O.Y.L.L . Both tapers and jam of the week are sweet.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Jammin' right now to Medeski Martin & Wood & John Scofield, 3-30-2018 from Denver. An excellent quality recording courtesy of Mr FiveBranch.

In completely unrelated news, there's a new dispensary open in my neck of the woods, the first one in the area licensed for non medical use.

In other completely unrelated news, a man was observed making a large cash withdrawal at an ATM near my house earlier this afternoon.

My investigative team is working to connect these events. More on the story as it develops.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Roguedeadguy

Sounds like something interesting is going on in your neck of the woods.
Keep on top of it and let us know if anything transpires.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....because the news is killing me.
Found Dave's 16. Scooby Doo house. Starting there.
Latest national agenda? Poop less.
And certain people laughed when I said I have three freezers. Whether you think corona is overblown or not, you are still victims to hoarders. I rest my case. (Of beer. Which is still well stocked).

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Good thing I have full access to the Vault de icecrmcnkd.

3-14-90 is the current selection in the car stereo, but I’m now on the couch with a beer and playing 3-16-90. Saving 3-15-90 for tomorrow when I plan on doing some interior house painting.
Will keep working my way through the Spring 90 anniversaries while I await the arrival of the much anticipated June 76 Box.
After a couple of runs through the new Box it will be time for the E72 and May 77 anniversaries.
Then it will be time for the June 77 and 76 anniversaries. And, of course, don’t forget the PNW Box anniversaries.
Man, it’s going to be a busy time in Deadland with all the anniversary listens.
I may need to go into quarantine to get all this listening done.
Oh, wait.....

Went to the grocery store today and the mayhem was way beyond what Y2K was.

....the circle of life.
Hey group. Anyone out there that actually knows someone who got the Wuhan Flu? I mean, like died?
I don't.
Oops. I said Wuhan flu. Which is frowed upon to say to some. Even though that's where it originated. Even a virus can't escape "racism".
Curious times my friends.
This Dark Star tho.........fire!!
And I do miss hockey. But we will survive.
Reminder Touchheads.....Touch Of Grey lyrics ring truer now than 27 years ago.
Look it up.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Being Italian I guess Nintendos mario and pizza,cannolis,Sopranos and so on is racist. Strange world. Now I'm going to do all these things at once. I hope the 76' box will come w/o delay.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I just geared up for a walk and put on Spectrum Specters Rebooted (aka 1973 Spectrum show Dave's Picks + my own bonus tracks snucked in); but heck if you're going with Scooby Doo House, that works for me. Change in venue coming right up. They're pretty much the same way week anyway right? May as well start with Disc 3 and get straight to the face melting stuff.

Vomit stories... Where do I even start. I think I already told the one about the Hotel balcony New Year's Eve in Montreal. That was the night it was so cold you couldn't even walk two blocks to the next bar without your face getting freezer burned. I forget what floor we were on but it was high up. Pretty sure the vomit froze before it hit the ground ( all 10 times between 4 and 9AM).

Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon tour. I wasn't planning on going but changed my mind the day of, due to all the excitement on the radio. Usually within 24 hours of the show all the tickets sharks sell their inventory back to Ticketmaster, so there are some good seats available at face value. Ended up going by myself. Not an unusual occurrence. Concert parking lots are the easiest place to make friends. So I got there about an hour and a half early, got nice and primed (balloons were everywhere). Didn't have any weed but fortunately the guy next to me inside did. He got his ticket that day too, and was also solo, so he was more than happy to share. We split three nice size fatties, along with some other seagulls nearby. He was good to go halfway through the last one (and so was I), and he said keep it. So I put it in my pocket for later.

The show was magnificent. Our seats were great. Spent an hour in the Vet Stadium parking lot afterward, just waiting for the traffic to let out - so more Rolling Stones balloons it was. Oh and I forgot, this dude had a flask too, so I was pretty well loaded. Finally ran out of cash and got in my car to go home. There was still a line of cars trying to get out of the lot. I would say it was about 10 minutes later that I finally hit the road and ended up, I think on Packer Avenue. Traffic was stop-and-go on my way to the Walt Whitman Bridge back to Jersey.

And I started feeling queasy... so about a minute later I determined the traffic was stop-and-go because there was a cop directing traffic to the bridge. So I drove along on my way, and don't you know he holds up his hand to stop traffic beginning with me. At that point I felt vomiting was an inevitability, and the thought of handcuffs and flashing lights and a night in the tank started going through my head. Then I remembered the half a joint in my pocket and added possession to the list of bad things that were about to happen to me. The cop was no more than 20 feet from me, which is REALLY close. Eye contact close. A minute went by that lasted an eternity, but he still didn't wave me on. He kept looking at the line of cars that was stacking up behind me so that he knew when to let my line go. There was no way to lean out the door and do it. That would have been an instabust. There wad a half full Burger King cup in the drink holder. And that was it. I took the lid off and filled the cup to overflowing. When I looked up he was no longer looking in my direction; he had just put his hand up to stop the traffic that was passing in front of me. He looked me in the eye and waved me on. There is no way he wouldn't have seen me leaning into that cup had he been facing my direction at the time. Needless to say I drove home with the windows open. About halfway home I started feeling queasy again and just sparked up the other half a joint. No more queasiness. What a show. They played Crazy Mama that night. I was happy.

Alvarhanso, glad to hear you broke out Live at Leeds, on vinyl no less. Such great stuff. The Isle of Wight show from 1970 is also widely available on CD and video and vinyl too. Pretty sure they have that one on red white and blue colored vinyl.

The Scooby-Doo Dark Star IS one of the better ones Vguy - I'm well into it at this point.

Oborious, hahaha " boobie dazzler" - curse you for getting me thinking about boobies. Mrs. KeithFan can't have too many spiked Seltzer's tonight or she'll fall right asleep.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

RougeDeadGuy: Nice Tunes!...and yeah, that’s why they call it the “Green Rush” Good Work, Keep your eye on the beat son!
VGUY: Dave’s 16, perhaps my favorite? That DS is a real Boobie Dazzler. And speaking of cases, stocked up on a hole plethora of liter stuff. The weather has finally started to change and with the extra day light we’ve been hankering for some lighter stuff: Surly, Mod Pod, Can O Bliss, Pilsner Urquil, Arrogant Bastard, Narwhal, WtFO, and finally able to score some Kalamazoo Stout....yum, quaffing the fresh as we speak!
Life’s been so weird lately, I’m considering putting my self in a self quarantine beer exile!
No Hockey! Shit, I haven’t had time all season, was really looking forward to the playoffs...Sabre’s suck, but the AVs were looking good, bummer!
ConeKids Vault...are you referring to Music, or beer? Bet you have a “primo” stash of both eh!
Happy Fiday folks, be safe and play Dead

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

I'm actually only about 10% Italian..

To pivot.. I'm just a little deflated because I had the perfect week off, festivities planned. The whole trip being kicked off by a hijacking a full, ice cold, refrigerated beer truck delicately parking and carefully hiding it under the hemlocks out back . Alas, my plan was been foiled by some clever lurkers here, the only place I still hold trust..

And somewhere up North.. perhaps a mere 8 or 9 hour drive there is a raging party with a big screen TV, lots of folks we know carrying on partying down with plundered pilfered ice cold beer from the stolen neighborhood beer truck from down the street, dispensaries abound.. and no invite for me. I bet tomorrow we hear of some mighty fine puking stories. Out of respect.. folks, please PM the puking stories from tonight, I am very week and emotionally fragile after the loss of my beloved, stolen, refrigerated beer truck.

True.. I cannot prove KCJanes stole the beer truck moments before I intended to steal it myself, True, he drove it directly to central Mass where the real fun apparently is. But..., honor amongst thieves I don't hold a grudge. I am just a little down for not getting the invite. I have been checking my PMs twice a minute since 10:02 yesterday morning hoping I could gleefully share in the plundered spirits.. but no.. Thirsty as I am, apparently there was not enough to share. I get it.

argh.. to late to drive anyway I am giving up..., reaching for the last bottle of ripple in the wine cellar. Sort of like celebrating Christmas alone while a party rages next door.

Nevermind.. have a great weekend all. Just me and some ripple. cold. tired.. I'll be fine. Really. man, this is a nice brokedown palace they are playing. I never realized just how lonely and sad this song is. Hunter was a genius. A depressed, lonely, sad genius, but a genius nonetheless. So much to be thankful for. Kumbayahumbug.. thud (forehead coming to a sudden rest on the cold cement floor of the basement).

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Yeah, I hear you Icrmcnkd. I went to the bank in the supermarket in my town and it was chaos, lines from all the checkouts down into the aisles, no toilet paper of course (why is that the first thing to run out?). Cruised on up to the Missoula Costco for the regular shopping I do every couple of weeks and wow - virtually all of the fresh meat was gone, no TP, and pretty packed with shoppers. I'm pretty stocked up since I generally buy in bulk, but still kind of a weird vibe. Unlike VGuy I only have one freezer though. And this is at a time when Montana has no confirmed cases of Coronavirus, and most of the adjacent states had their first confirmed cases in the last day or two. Crazy.
Edit: Turns out we have 4 cases in Montana as of today.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Had a few vomit inducing drinking episodes, pissdrunk at least once. To quote Dean Martin, you're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Long time since I got drunk, but I remember.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Mr Jimmy, GET A GRIP MAN! Remeber, when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! Screw the lecherous thieving bastards! If I wasn’t under a self quarantine beer exile I’d be there in a Cassidy minute. We’d be there before the weirdness even started. But these wort hog string worm suffering inbred imbeciles are probably all ready tripping over each other each other and landing in a great big pile of drooling JP prom night madness....no mi amigo, we’re better off away from these evil bastards. Think Hot Tub, green coffee beans, high powered smoke, and chilled ripple, all powered by a good gawd dang dose of Ge-rateful, fuggin Dead, yes sir my man I’d say you got it on them shlubs,
God bless the Chile who has his own! Fuck em all but six!

Right on Oro, lets party. besides.. we have all the tp. Try having a puking stolen beer truck party without enough tp to clean up all the pukin'.

Not pretty.

All this talk of Ralph unfortunately brings back the memory of seeing Monty Pythons The Meaning of Life and “that” nasty scene...people were literally running out of the Theater....thank God!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

My personal favorite vomit story is from '92, I think. Had tickets to a 4 band show(Big Audio Dynamite, PIL, Live, Blind Melon. Got well oiled prior to arriving. Was drinking the last of my Samiclaus Beer(14% alcohol). Trying to get down the last of the Sami quickly, it came back up. I turned my head to the right, puked on the wall beside me, IN STRIDE, never missing a step. My buddy who was with me said "Did you just Vom"?? I smiled and replied in the affirmative. After the show, we went to a friend's house, did the best blotter I've ever had, and stayed up until daylight. A great night.

Maybe next time, I'll tell the "puked in my girlfriend's bush" story. No, it's not what you think. Get your mind out of the gutter!!
Peace and stay healthy everyone.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Monty Python's fabulous vomit scene.

The late great George Carlin had a good comedic bit about plastic-fake-vomit gag gift and when and where to use it. "Near the refrigerator."

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Well, I could tell a few puke tales, but I have perhaps a more traumatic experience. Certainly more amusing if you weren't involved. Early 90's, my wife and our large Akita, maybe 115 muscled up pounds in our compact Dodge Shadow were driving from Syracuse, NY to Waitsfield, VT for a short stay at my parent's vacation place. Somewhere at the edge of NY state we stopped to get something to eat at a McDonalds just after dark. My wife went in the place and I took the dog for a quick walk in the adjacent weedy/grassy vacant lot. Almost immediately he lunges at something and before I can even react he is pulling back. I didn't see anything in front of him and then I notice that he is shaking his head and pawing at his nose just about the same time that I smell the overpowering odor of skunk. He got sprayed in the face by a fucking skunk halfway through a 5 hour drive. I put the dog in the car and walk into the McD's and head towards my wife. Before I even get to her there is sort of like a wave that passes through the people around me and they all turn to look at me. At that point I realize that I smell as bad as the dog. The dog was so distressed he couldn't even eat his hamburger. I mean we tried to wipe his face off, but have you ever tried to clean a dog after it gets sprayed by a skunk? It doesn't really work under the best circumstances, so you can imagine the lack of success with a few napkins. Since it was cold weather we spent the rest of the 2-3 hour drive alternating between freezing and choking on skunk fumes (not the good kind). Funny now, but at the time it was a super drag.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Know anyone who wants to buy a used dodge shadow? Low mileage, good price.

PM me.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html