What's Inside:
    • Five Complete Shows
    • 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
    • 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
    • 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
    • 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
    •14 Discs, 111 tracks
    •Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
    •Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    •Period Photos by James R Anderson
    •Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
    •Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DanielSpace
    I think a fundraiser for the tapes is the dumbest idea Ive ever heard.
  • Sawwwn
    Default Avatar
    Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
  • Sawwwn
    Default Avatar
    Oh man! Still waiting for these (May 77 and July 78) to be available for download! Please open this up or at least stop listing them as available. Killing me.
  • lianshu
    adidas superstar 80s femme pas cheradidas Outlet en ligne | Jusqu'à -50 % | adidas Canada adidas zx flux pas cher chaussure de foot adidas pas cher : La boutique 100% Chaussure ... www.vinatrend.com
  • icenine2
    Default Avatar
    When will this be available as downloads again? I own the high-res digital download of Get Shown the Light and it is spectacular.
  • rolandswan
    Default Avatar
    Are you not happy with your current hosting go with One Euro web Hosting and make your business more profitable .
  • kite
    Default Avatar
    It was thinking about whether I could utilize this review on my other site, I will connect it back to your site though.Great Thanks. bathtub pillow
  • aaron1990
    Default Avatar
    When you can drop into the combat on your own, the game is very gaining steam as a co-op name thanks to its profound team features. BattlegroundsArmory.com for Steam platform is a digital product - no field included. It will be released as an electronic download for $29.99 (the same price as the PC version).
  • arunk55
    Default Avatar
    This is i got super cool idea now what let me think about it. paypal money adder
  • lilmaria1212
    Default Avatar
    Solid offer for the music community, although it's a bit pricey?! JUST A BIT! Lol, I'm already spending a bunch of money on music promotion services.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

What's Inside:
• Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks
•Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman, Plangent Processes playback system for maximum sonic accuracy
•Artwork by Grammy Award-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
•Period Photos by James R Anderson
•Historical Essay by Steve Silberman
•Individual show liner notes

MAGICAL, MYTHICAL MAY 1977!

If you're a Dead Head, chances are you've spent many an hour expounding upon the distinction of May 8, 1977, Cornell University, Barton Hall. Well, at the risk of preaching to the choir, we'd like to reintroduce you to a series of shows that matches said greatness from that same gloriously fertile season. While Barton Hall is well known, the astounding tour that surrounded it has occasionally flown under the radar due to the uneven quality of tapes in circulation. May 1977 is set to change all of that with a boxed set that zeroes in on this high-water mark in the Grateful Dead's long strange trip.

For a band resurrecting itself after a 20-month hiatus, there was a great frenzy of expectancy that surrounded the Spring of 1977. We anticipate a grand reoccurrence of this fervor with the release of May 1977, a 14-disc boxed set featuring five complete shows from consecutive stops on that magical tour. Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, the "psychoacoustic phenomena" as Jerry once put it, of St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN (5/11) Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL (5/12, 5/13), St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO (5/15) and Coliseum at the University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL (5/17) can now finally be appreciated. Each of these shows finds the Dead delivering punchier, more focused sets, tightening up the framework; each night turning out first-ever renditions ("Passenger,""Iko Iko,""Jack-A-Roe"), unloading potent new pairings ("Scarlet Begonias">"Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet">"Eyes Of The World"), classic covers ("Dancing In The Street") and soon-to-be staples ("Estimated Prophet," "Samson and Delilah"), and ultimately rising up to paradise.

And now for the nitty-gritty...

Due June 11, May 1977 is limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies. Presented in a psychedelic box that boasts an intricate die-cut design created by Grammy®-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike, the set also includes a book filled with stories about each show, as well as an in-depth essay by Dead historian Steve Silberman, who delves deep into the history behind the tour and the band’s return from its extended hiatus.

Once these 15,000 boxes are gone, May 1977 and its shows will never be available again on CD. However, the 111 tracks will be made available on release date as FLAC and Apple lossless full-set-only downloads for $99.98.

Like its predecessors Europe '72: The Complete Recordings and Spring 1990, we expect May 1977 to sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here and on Facebook.com/GratefulDead and Youtube.com/gratefuldead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Very nice package in general. The packaging is outstanding, and the hidden magnetic clasp on the box is a nice touch. Of course the music is stellar, and the sound is excellent. I really like what Dead is doing with the custom shipping cartons on these boxes, as well; very Dead. No complaints, and kudos for a great set.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

HiI would by a mp3 version in a second if it were available Hank
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

"Sucks Europe 72 wasn't done this good." I'm thinking the source tapes might have a little something to do with the sound quality of the release, although I was quite happy with the E72 box sound.
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

Just listening to Dick's Picks 18 and noticing the boost in Phil's playing; I think, according to his account, he was rejuvenated somewhat here. So, hidden treasures found everywhere.Funny to think things Grateful Dead from the band member's perspective, like Jerry reprimanding Phil for his "sloppy" playing in '77...Well, could and did fool me!
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I actually like 78 just fine-- DP 18 is one of my favorite releases. The Iowa set II with Scarlet/Fire, Truckin'/Other One is simply amazing. The From Egypt Winterland release is also fine. Tapes from back in the day were always good, too-- Red Rocks anyone! I would be fine with a Dave's Pick from 1978 any other time, but not now after the 1977 box release. Fine, if not the 1980s and Dave wants to stay in the 1970s, how about spring 1971. Everything I have heard from that tour is dandy. I just wish they would announce...
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

both the download formats can be pretty readily converted to MP3, if that helps.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

will there be some special release in the fall since the box set came out in spring. perhaps ssdd
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

All right, I'll jump back in. While the issue of double posties isn't new, it needs to be fixed. And speaking of needing a fix, this new mobile format stinks like doggie poo on the shoe. Please, please fix this format! The comments, for weeks now mind you, appear in a very narrow and annoying column. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, but not very much the way they're currently displayed. A prayer to the Tech Gods- Please fix this! Amen Browser:Safari (iPhone mobile browser)
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Your prayer has been answered: hold your phone horizontally!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Thanks for the tip...There are times, and believe me, I wish they were fewer, when I feel like the dumbest kid on the block. Hold the phone horizontally- so simple, and yet, well. Thanks again for the tip. So you said Dave's Picks 7 is 3/9/81, right?
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hmmmm....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My browser doesn't jump to the new posts anymore after the format change. Fixable?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

but when is DaP7 due out? It's early August, if I'm not mistaken........
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

but when is DaP7 due out? It's early August, if I'm not mistaken........
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The release date is August 1st. DaP5 did ship a few days early, DaP6 did not. I have a feeling that becuase the May '77 box set has not sold out yet, Dave & Rhino have not said much yet about DaP7. I think they would like to have folks spend their money first on May '77, and then they will push DaP7 more. Just my opinion. I have no intel on this.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

3-7 or 3-10 would be the better picks
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Still happens when I'm signed on.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have been pleading my case for the 3/10 show forever on this site, not only because I was there, but since I was there, I can tell you that the energy was so amazingly high for this show, the band was on, the Garden (MSG) was literally bouncing!The opening amp bomb being the only glitch during HalfStep was covered so well and well received by the heads in attendence. The 2nd set was killer... followed by a high level Satisfaction and mellowing Brokedown Palace... oh, please be included! No matter what, iGrateful Thank you
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I hope no one at Rhino is really getting antsy about the fact that May 1977 has not sold out yet. A lot of comments seem to treat this like some kind of failure, and maybe it is selling slower than expected. I for one am pleased that they increased the number to 15,000. If they had kept it at 10,000 it would have sold out long ago, true, but it will still sell out at some point, and Rhino will be selling an additional 5,000 sets. Seems like a "success" to me. Plus, how many bands can sell this kind of box set year after year? Now if only someone at Dead.net would actually address my issue of the unglued case for May 15, instead of sending me replies saying they will deal with it in some hypothetical alternate universe.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

We heard about DaP 6 way before it was released ...... I have a subscription for this year's releases, so would be really nice to hear what's next. I don't think it will make any difference to May 1977 sales. Personally, I'd like some '90's or even more rare '60's.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

I believe Dave has mentioned several times (at least in passing) that the release schedule for these are 2/1, 5/1, 8/1, 11/1. When you think about it, it's really quite good, especially if the 4th installment is a sure-fire winner because in Oct/Nov they'll announce the subscription for the following year so keeping the current release schedule is good for priming the pump, so to speak. On the subject of May 1977 selling out - I don't understand the folks who think it is a big deal that it hasn't sold out yet. Does Rhino care more that it sells out period (likely before 2014) or that is sells out in a month or two? They get the same amount of money either way (less extra warehousing costs, but if they're down to fewer than 2500 I doubt it's too much at this point [also, can someone fix the graphic to be grammatically correct? "Less than 2500" is wrong, it should read "Fewer than 2500 left"]). Finally, re: double posting - if you hit save more than once, it will post more than once. Even if the site takes forever to reload 98% of the time the comment is submitted. I just got into the habit of copying my posts to the clipboard before hitting save in the event it didn't post. Just hit save once. That's all it takes.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Kudos on the '77 Project...May I suggest a Box Set of Eurpoe '81 be Produced to include the Rainbow Theatre run? GOOD STUFF!!!
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Kudos on the '77 Project...May I suggest a Box Set of Eurpoe '81 be Produced to include the Rainbow Theatre run? GOOD STUFF!!!
user picture

Member for

15 years

Well, obviously majority of all live Dead stuff is from the 70s, I wonder if they even have anything from the 80's sometimes. But, I'm a 71-77 Dead Freak, my favorite shows, Just liked Keith and Donna a lot for one thing. Went to a show in the Spectrum in 78, last show I went to, It was uninspired, I was depressed and the show did not help. There have been a ton of releases in 77. Already 2 box sets, One from June and one from May now. I have "To Terrapin" which was May 28, last show of May tour. I probably listen to that more than any other Dead show, I really love 72 and 77, I like spring 77, because of Jerry's tone on the Travis Bean guitar, sounded so natural, Those custom guitars are so modded. I do like The Wolf. I love the Dec 29 show of 77, it is DP 10, not available anymore unless the overcharge label gets around to selling it for $80. They stink. Just wish the DP 10 was hdcd, because my disc player can decode that and it really gives the CD more definition, Rhino did not start using HDCD til DP15,another great show, The big Tucker/ Dead show in Englishtown ,NJ, was there and it was cool. I think there was at least 100,000 there, it was full. When MTB was playing, they were still tweaking the sound system cause you just not hear them where we were, When the Dead played, it was like, turn up the speakers, they were awesome .
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Interesting! I am probably biased as I went to many of the Spring and Fall 1981 shows at the Rainbow (I lived just half a mile down the road at the time)and was blown away. My memories maybe sugar-coated though as having listened to a few shows on archive.org I'm not convinced that they are the best from the 80s. I haven't heard the Barcelona show, though, which I hear was very good.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I received my shipping notice on 11 June but have yet to receive the Box Set. The DHL tracking that I found just has the parcel checking in Des Plaines, IL on 10 June, and nothing else. Anyone else in Europe, or anywhere outside the US, that was part of the original shipping still waiting? I know these things can take some time and don't want to nag Dr. Rhino if I am not the only one still opening the front door in anticipation everyday after work!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

1. May 13 damaged CD2. May 13 unglued case 3. Damaged Brown exterior box with crack on magnetic door..... 2nd box set to arrived damaged. As I had damaged CDs for 1990 box set. A first world problem, indeed.....but gee this is sort of weak.......& the customer service has been completely abysmal both times, with 2 unsuccessful tries and a 4-month wait for replacement for the spring 1990 CDs.
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

this may sound extreme but a staple solves the glue sleeve issue, my 5/17/77 discs 2 and 3 holders were not glued properly and the discs would slip all the down and possibly out, but one staple holds the outer sleeves together tight enough that the disc is forced to rest on the stop as intended
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Rattydog-Ihave the same problem. I'm originnaly from Aus and am spending a year teaching in China. My box set has yet to make an appearance. Unfortunately the DHL shipping information is fairly useless. It gets as far as Des Plaines Illinoise and then nothing. Anyway I feel your pain and hope your box, and mine, turns up shortly.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I am living in China and my box has yet to make an appearance. So I feel your pain my friend. Hopefully your box, and mine, will turn up shortly. Oops Double post.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

@rattydog_uk:I, too, have yet to receive the box, sent on June 10th. The same happened with the EUROPE 90 box,delivered after almost 2 months. To say I'm disappointed it's quite an understatement..
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Fnarhhhh. I've hand-tagged over 100 shows, and that does not include all the other downloaded music I've had to tag. I agree absolutely with "If incorrect tag data is the biggest complaint about this set then Rhinp/GDP is doing something very right"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Now a third email telling me to wait 72 more hours for reply.No real meaningful response from the customer service dept. I am glad I charged my bank back 2 weeks ago..... Just plain disorganized and waste of everyone's time.... If this was my company, the customer would have a new product by now with an apology. Just plain weak....as this ia the second time receiving defective merchandise from Rhino......what a blatant waste of time, money and resources on their end.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Checked out 5/13/77 first time yesterday on 270 mile Southwest drive (4 stop signs). Four antelope bolt from highway side during Playin-Reprise , killer Other One, U.S. Blues encore 4th of July. Hour silence 12-1pm planting late blue corn, golden beans, then drive to Continental Divide City, N.M. listening to Anthem of the Sun. New box set like sipping fine wine, and I don't drink. Anthem like old friend. Timeless....Monsoons up and running.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

There was a trip I took many years back. For about five months I was driving those Southwest roads having grand adventures and listening to the Grateful Dead. Your post took me right back there. Thanks. Peace
user picture

Member for

15 years

A while back,I mentioned that I was a huge fan of 77, but I couldn't afford this great looking box set, because I am on disability. I checked my inbox last week, would you believe 2 people messaged me and wanted to buy a set for me, yet another guy messaged me and wanted to burn the whole box set for me. I accepted the first person who messaged me. I got the show in 2 days, he paid xtra so that I get it right away. So, I am enjoying the first disc of St Paul, right now, the quality is great. The band is in rare form. Thanks guys,"There is nothing like a Grateful Dead Concert or DeadHeads" I won't forget this kind gesture.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hi there I'm with you on this one I think DP18 is the best show I've ever heard,there are lots of great first and second sets but for the whole show this one does it for me.As for the May77 box set, mine took a while to get to the outer reaches of Cornwall England UK but it turned up in tip top condition and yeah the shows are pretty good, about 8 out of 10 compared to the DP18.I see some people are upset about the high numbers on their limited edition box's,well I ordered mine when the Dead web site said there where only 5000 left.So imagine my surprise when mine came through with 1890/15000 on the inside cover.The same thing happened with the 1990 box set.I don't care what number it is, all I want is the music,looks like the last 77 box sets are not selling.does that tell you anything DEAD NET we don't need any more fancy box sets just put the next five shows or whatever out on CD only in a paper bag for $50 inc P&P I'm sure you will shift a lot more.Money is tight these days or has Rhino forgot that.All the best for now Deadhead Dave
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Hi there I'm with you on this one I think DP18 is the best show I've ever heard,there are lots of great first and second sets but for the whole show this one does it for me.As for the May77 box set, mine took a while to get to the outer reaches of Cornwall England UK but it turned up in tip top condition and yeah the shows are pretty good, about 8 out of 10 compared to the DP18.I see some people are upset about the high numbers on their limited edition box's,well I ordered mine when the Dead web site said there where only 5000 left.So imagine my surprise when mine came through with 1890/15000 on the inside cover.The same thing happened with the 1990 box set.I don't care what number it is, all I want is the music,looks like the last 77 box sets are not selling.does that tell you anything DEAD NET we don't need any more fancy box sets just put the next five shows or whatever out on CD only in a paper bag for $50 inc P&P I'm sure you will shift a lot more.Money is tight these days or has Rhino forgot that.All the best for now Deadhead Dave
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Double post
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Dead love does indeed live on...Right on Jim
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Not trying to start a flame war here but I find it comical how many folks think that the fact that this set has not sold out yet is a "take that Rhino" moment. At this point we know there are fewer than 2500 remaining which means of a limited edition run of 15,000 about 85% have been sold. Perhaps if those numbers were inverted, but they're not. This is by no means a "wake up call" as some might paint it. The DaP series are 13k and they sell out. This is 2k more units at 5x the price of a single DaP and its less than 500 units away from the 13k threshold that Rhino likely knows they can sell easily. As I said in a previous post (and as Dave has suggested) this will sell out, especially if there are still any available at the holidays, and whether it sells out in July or in December Rhino still makes their money. The fact that its been available for 2 months or so and has sold 85% of available units is likely a good sign to the folks at Rhino. I love the set and look forward to more in the future. Thanks Dave, Jeffery, Mark Pinkus, and everyone else involved with these. (It seems that the major complaint that needs to be addressed is customer service! But that's a different can of worms. I haven't had any trouble in the 6-7 years I've been ordering stuff here [knock on wood] so I leave that to others who have.)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Agreed. Customer service is truly the weak link..... It costs Rhino a fair amount of money to deliver bad customer service.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Moreover, Dr. L, in addition to being produced in greater numbers and costing more as a box, it addresses a period for which most heads already have great coverage both commercially (DP3&29, DaP1, Hartford, Winterland box)and through decent circulating AUDs and SBDs... P.S.: Dear Dave - I well remember your June 2011 interview with Ultimate Classic Rock* and, by my count, only 1 of the 3 tours to which you specifically referred remains to be released in a box set: Fall '73. Please stay the course! WOO HOO! *http://ultimateclassicrock.com/grateful-dead-archivist-david-lemieux-ta…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

For those keeping score at home, from the Fall of 73:10/19 11/9 11/10 11/11 11/17 11/20 11/21 11/30 12/2 12/4 12/6 12/10 and 12/19 are released. Not exactly sure what a Box Set from the Fall of 73 would look like, but there's an amazing amount released already. The seven shows in between 10/19 and the Winterland Box (Dane County, your assistance on the stage, Please) would make a great Box. But alas, not sure how much is in the Vault. September of 73, with the horns, maybe we'll get a show or two from there. All that said, how about 11/14, 11/23, 11/25, 12/1, 12/8, 12/12 and 12/18- there's 7 that are screaming for release. And while we're here, how about February 74 at Winterland? Dave's Picks 7...We're ready...
product sku