• 7,846 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

MIT 5/6/70

Got severely HN'ed this morning, and they didn't even read me my rights..........

Doc
    Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.......

• nitecat

Harpur was a recording I listened to over and over in the summer of 1972. That's when I realized this was a really different band, and got on the bus, attending the San Jose 1972 show and two of the Berkeley Community Theater shows, one of was the Dark Star>Morning Dew show, which sealed my fate forever.

• PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I had just a taste of 2/15/73 as filler back in the day - HCS and El Paso. But that HCS was smoking. Still, I'd more or less forgotten about it until a couple years ago when I read a Latvala quote about how this version of HCS compared well with the one from 12/19. And it just so happened that I had a boring task to do [censored - for some reason I cannot describe my office w/out getting hey now'd] at work. And I wanted a long show to brighten my mood. I thought of HCS and that's when it hit me that I'd never heard the rest of this show.

Wow - it's just so good! I had the entire M aples show back in the day, but I still wasn't prepared for this performance. With all the new material I figured they'd be still working things out, but it feels instead like they must have spent that week rehearsing and listening to each other, and were just in a great headspace. This show just flows.

But this one's not in the vault, is it? (I mean I hope I'm wrong...)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Obeah

2nd set was one of the first tapes to fall in my lap way back when over 40 years ago. My favorite Here Comes Sunshine - it has a drive to it that I really dig. And Bob's guitar is so exquisitely "wiered" at times, some strange effects peddle? Of course, totally love the Dark Star > Eyes > China Doll. That was an early glimpse into the mystery. And Badass Donna on You Aint Woman Enough. And the merry run around of that sweet sweet TLEO. A tape that was much listened to and much loved, note by note.

Great (or is it Grate?) Dane Box or February '73 box - either one bring it on!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bob t

No, I haven't seen that documentary. What is it?
The old Dane County Coliseum. Was there many times, unfortunately not to see the Dead.

I hope we get those early 73 shows out at some point.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

It is about the sound system that Owsley and the Dead had and the September to Decembers tours of 73. Newspaper clippings and some interviews. I learned there was supposed to be a December 15th show in Houston. Always wondering why the gap between Omni and Curtis Hixon shows. Youtube..

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Yep, same here. It was one one my most listened to tapes back in the day. Still have it! Here's to an official release someday.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by musicnow

Thanks Bob T, I am going to track that down. Their pre wall of sound system was not too shabby either.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Warfield Theater
Pretty good AUD on the archive.
It's been cleaned up by Scott Wiseman, Scott Clugston, and Charlie Miller.
SEVA benefit show

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Oakland Coliseum
Keith & Donna's last show
Campaign for Economic Democracy benefit
Excellent Dave Usborne matrix on the archive
Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by TN John

Nice to see ya!
Thanks for the recommendation, that was pretty cool., though kinda weird how it just ended, like Cocaine became prevalent, story over…?
I need to see it again.
f I was only allowed to have one tour….
It’d probably be f a l l w I n t e r 7 3
Good Sheet Mon!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Prefer gummies over the prescription stuff they gave me. I finally made it home and it's great to see a couple exciting shows to queue up and lively up my next few days.

all in all I'm doing ok. Lots of shoulder work done and still painful but I'm on the other side now. thanks for all the good thoughts.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Glad it went well for you.
PT is key to full range of motion.
I seldom did my homework and settled for less range, which is OK but now I wish I'd done more. Take it easy.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

2/16 &/17/82 two very cool shows I was fortunate enough to be at , would make a great double release. 2/17/79 was a benefit called Rock for Life and was about ending environmental cancer. Another show I was at and should have been released along time ago.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

To the other side.
Woohoo, he’s back sports fans!
Glad to hear things went well!
Yeah, I think sometimes Advil and weed work better for some pain then the pill mill crap?
Whatevs gets you through the night, is awright. Rest up, be well, and play dead!
Music heals!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Good to hear Jim. Hope you are able to recover quickly.

So much music to choose.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Positive thoughts for quick healing!
Peace

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

get well soon, play dead and I mean the music, wonder what the outcome would be if you really did play dead? Home folks freak out? then you awaken and say "I'm not Beethoven"

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

HN won't allow anything in my simple original message, like none of it - geez louise

It seems to me that the more time you spend on a post, the more likely it is to be hey now'd. What seems to be working for me is to just whack one out - and then when it's printed, go back and amend it. If you can be bothered.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

was spinning on sirius yesterday. Caught the Eyes>WRS while heading into town.
Everyone is beautifully mixed in. What a recording! Had to check the archive to find out more. Listened to China>Rider to verify the sound quality. Would make a magnificent official release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks B.B., that SBD Miller is sweet.
Currently sampling as I don't have time this AM for the whole show.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I concur, gr8 show Eyes is epic, fall 73. Happy birthday Vinnie.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

check PM.

Thanks

Crap, Hey Jim.

Glad you have gone through the rough part. Every day I am sure it will be better, and the next thing you know, It's Summer.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Sorry man. I always forget to check my messages. I tried to make a lengthier response, but the powers that be determined I used some wrong words somewhere. I would be happy to talk those shows with you. It might be easier on the phone. Hit me a message if you want to exchange numbers. I'm still trying to figure out how to discuss the music on here without getting smacked down.
Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by TN John

Revisited this fantastic show last night and this morning. What a show! Damn, love that 3rd set!. We are a lucky bunch out here.

Hope we get a box announcement soon.

Hope you avoid the smackdown TNJ.

user picture

Member for

7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

...yeah man, I'm down with that...that 3rd set has gotten at least 5x the playtime vs. any of the other sets contained in the HCS Box.

Worked-on my 2024 Box Set calculator, and got it installed yesterday lol, estimated release September; now if only I can get it to reveal the contents;)

keep smilin' everyone, it'll be announced before you know it

PEACE ALL!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Have hit everything in order through April 30.
Not fall 73 but better overall than I expected!
Some really good shows there, just they all seem to have the same idiosyncrasies. Mainly, misses. Not really any big train wrecks, though JG flubs Althea pretty good on the 30th.

Several times I’d be thinking, this is the show, then they’d have some little miss or Jers voice might be a bit ruff on one song. Just weird random stuff that I’d call normal, except here it just seems like every now and then, from time to time, ?? Hard to explain, perhaps I.e., check out all the HSF as an example?
The tape selection/quality is inconsistent too. I heard several less than stellar SBs, and some awesome Auds, and everything in between.
The first night of Marin sounded like practice, but was a creeper. Ist set sloppy, but eventually got some things going. Awesome Oh Babe it ain’t no lie!
The run seemed to get better as she goes. Again, kinda sounded overall like a tour warm up run… Do try to hear the Blues for Allah hints during the 3/31 space! And the Spanish jam through Rat on the 29th.

Ist night of Vegas was meh, second ok.
The tour proper starts in Hampton. First night sorta status quo for opener, nothing really stuck out. Second night I enjoyed and sounded like they were finally gelling.
CROTCHFESTER. I was at, front row, perhaps highest we ever got, so no surprise I didn’t remember much. I do recall feeling non plussed BITD but I think that’s because I had some song expectations that didn’t pan out? Always seemed overshadowed by NF the next night (same mo for us).
This time, I did dig NF as they jam hard and things can be very psychedelic musically at times, but this time Rochester really stood out for me. One of my favorite shows of the tour, definitely worth a listen!
I’ll skip Philly for now…
New Haven I liked the first night better, great Jack Straw, only Only a Fool ever played, which was meh?, nteresting anyway, nice Spanish jam and space.
Really all the drums out into space etc we’re cool on this tour.
Both Providence shows were solid. Decent Shakedown, but I’ll take the powerful Angry Shakedown from 4/16 over em all.
The second night of P town is another I recommend and another tour tops!
Nassau shows were good, but perhaps a little on the downside by this point?
Philly probably was the peak, but I didn’t feel it was obvious.
I listened to some of these shows several times trying to decide.
I remember feeling DL had gone to the wrong house with 35 being 4/20?
I still think the 21st might be a tad better, but perhaps missing a bit on HSF (they don’t quite get any of em perfect) factored in?
The 19 is ok, sorta tour status quo, 20 and 21 are definitely in the top five.
So I’d recommend not necessarily in order because these shows were all very similar in many ways, so can’t pick a definitive favorite.
4/21, 4/20, 4/16, 4/27 tops, extra credit 4/17, 4/26, 4/14.
Again, really pleasantly surprised at the overall quality and consistency of the tour. Yes if you pay attention you’ll hear some Oopsies occasionally, but perhaps no more than most tours?
Going to cleanse a bit, then hit some more spring 89…
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Has Jeff checked in on 49 yet? Like scanned artwork. I may have missed him.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey Gary, Hope this works. I tried a while back and got major Hey Nowwed. Here’s the cover art for Dave’s 49 that Copperdomebodhi found. Scroll down to 49:
dropbox dot com /sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl=0

If y’all PM me with your email, I’ll send future covers to you directly.

Onward

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

wow, what a run hey, during the soundcheck for 2-22-74 I believe there is the first hints of an estimated prophet Jam, and 3 sets too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

February 74 is where I been cleansing this WE.
Good Sheet! Great minds ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

How did you get your post past the HN police OB! Nice work. The longest one I have seen in a while.
I haven't listened to much spring 84 in long time, with the exception of Dave's #35, which I always enjoy. There have been a lot of Philly shows released by Dave. Will have to poke around a bit.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

sent PM

Thanks

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

...yeah Oro, that was a strange night... and with the home crowd and the technical gremlins, it really does kinda sound like practice at times.

But that second set has a lot of mojo. The Oh Babe is a lovely one-off - first time since '81 and the last time the GD would play it onstage. The China Cat->Rider is remarkable, I just love the color Brent puts on it. They take their time with it, too; it's nearly 15 minutes long. The Playin' gets to some haunting spaces, and it's too bad Garcia wasn't a lil more patient bc I'd have loved to see what else might have happened, but I guess he had business backstage. Instead we get the debut of Don't Need Love. Again, it sounds almost like rehearsal, but it's still my fav of the 16 times Brent would eventually play it. I love this version.

Drums doesn't really go anywhere for me, but Space is excellent (Garcia must have found what he needed backstage, Weir's a monster here and Phil is so high on Jill in '84 that he seems to be livin up to his old nickname, Reddy Kilowatt) with a notable jam. And the transition into the Wheel never gets old. The Truckin->Spoonful isn't remarkable but it's solid. My tape didn't have the encore and I wasn't always in the mood for a double helping of Chuck Berry, so I sometimes pressed stop here... but sometimes I'd just press fast forward and then flip the tape to hear that beautiful Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie one more time...

Decided to que up this beauty from the 30 Trips Box, 10/27/79. Why, because I am channeling a 79 Box for this year. Will it happen?

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

2/17/79 & 4/22/79. I hope would be a part of it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

No, but there will be a 1969 box set this year. It'll include the complete Vegas show from March, as well as the early April Avalon Ballroom run. As well as a couple of other surprises.......

Those whom God wishes to destroy, he first makes mad......

Rock on,

Doc
When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.....

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Hopefully it will include, 10/31/69, 6/27 & 28/69.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yes, we need an upgrade on that Halloween 69 show, that would be very nice. Maybe even throw Crockett in there as well, another show in need of an upgrade.......

Not sure about Santa Rosa. Good and definitely interesting, but a bit uneven. Would much prefer the Ark shows, or maybe Philly from February.........

Music is the melody whose text is the world.....

Rock on my friends!

Doc
Ladies and gentleman, I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn......

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!

OSF has confirmed that they have the original reels of the March Vegas show and the early April Avalon Ballroom run. Although it appears that the 4/6 recording is still incomplete......

People come to music to seek oblivion: is that not also a form of deception?

Rock on, and off to the morgue,

Doc
Music is essentially useless, as is life.....

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Really Daverock?

1979 was a great year for the band. If you don't like it that is fine.
If they stopped playing after 1969, this site would not even exist.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Deadvikes - I used to rate 12/26 and 12/28/79 very highly indeed - but I haven't been moved to play either of them for quite some time. It's a year where I'm happy with what I've got, but don't particularly want anymore.
I guess the exception would be the final show with Keith - but that's not really what people mean by "1979" I don't think.
The last show I played - part of it anyway, was the Road Trips featuring jams from 6/18/74. Now that is solid gold! Nobody else I heard in 1974 was playing anything like this. Not really jazz or rock - I think they had made up their own genre by this stage

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Menage a trois

I did hit the beginning of the second set of 10 27 79 yesterday doing some PT. High energy and interesting jams. If I could only set the time machine back a week before and get Betty out there to record it, well.. the world would be a different place.

As to Louisville 74, I've always had a lot of respect for that show, it never gets old even the spooky discordant pieces. The transition from Eyes of the World to China Doll could be my favorite one.

Now a 69 Banana Box Set you say? Bad shoulder or not, I am dancing a jig in anticipation.

It's good vibe Saturday all day here at dead net. Not sure if I am tossing out a suggestion, but I am going to put on the acoustic set from 12 26 69 to start my day and kick off the weekend with some of the best vibe GD that's been released in the last few years. I thought 7 13 84 would pair pretty well with the Frost shows that were just released too.. they do a scarlet>something>fire I think?? sort of pairs with the Scarlet > Eyes.

Let's see if this post makes it through Hey Now

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

read that previously uncirculated DS > Main 10 > DS > O1 > Aliigator from 2/5/70 Fillmore West is up at LL

Good Vibe Saturday - I woke up on that side of the bed too Jim!! And to echo Cone Kid, hope the w i n g is healing smooth and steady. Have a great weekend everybody!! Onward!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Enjoying a cup of super dark roast Colombian Supremo that I roasted and some 1974 Little Feat on vinyl.

Supposed to be 62 and sunny tomorrow, think I might roast a batch of beans.

I have managed not to re-injure it while it's in a delicate state. That counts for something, right?

I'm roasting this weekend too. I tried to send a big bag off to people I know that like coffee around Christmas and New Years. I am still working my way through that list. After about three batches I lose interest and end up putting it down.

I am doing some sticky full roast Kenyan right now mixing it up with a smaller batch of Sumatra. I always had a soft spot for those earthy Indonesian beans and have been on a Kenyan kick for a couple years.

How this tie into the GD? Not sure.. I did see one of the few GD shows that started off with Casey Jones and certainly the only one post hiatus. That's gotta count for something, you've got to watch your speed that's for sure.

I'm beating my 1969 drum too while listening to our last banana box release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Must be spreading. Maybe it's because we passed meteorological Spring. Louisville '74 you say?
Cheers
Edit: Did the SBD on archive. Killer show but now I see why the RT 2.3 version is chopped up. Sound issues early but this Sacks-Hollister sbd has very dynamic sound when it settles in. Mind bending Let It Grow.