• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You’re a fucking genius!

• jameslily96
    Always Need To Consider Sound Quality And Product Quality

we need to focus on best sound quality whenever checking audio and sound related product online now a days

• KenRat
    Default Avatar

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

• whatsappnumb
    Default Avatar
    Its good to see this post and I really appreciate the author for better informative articles like this and more in the future.http://whatsappnumb.com
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    great blogfriendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    really impressed with the post.friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Jee main 2018 cutoff
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Good to hear that it sounds damn goodRomantic Shayari Good Night Sms
  • amarsriv22
    Default Avatar
    Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

How long does it take to "polish" a USB drive? Dead.net and Rhino... UPDATE those of us who have paid and are sitting here reading these glorious reviews without being able to make our own notes.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Is it just me or does Weir's nutty screeching vocals drive anyone else crazy? I have to skip some of those songs. It's so obnoxious to me! 1988's Estimated Prophet for example. 1987's Good Lovin' also. He's trying too hard. His older vocals were much better, but in the '80's it seems like he felt a need to prove something. He desperately wanted to become the front man, was jealous of Jerry's front man status, and since he didn't have the talent to do it for real, he just screams a lot. OMG it's tiring. Is it just me?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Happy two month anniversary to all you fellow USB orderers out there...it's now been two months since first promised date of September 18. Will we make three? Will we get it before Christmas? Will we give a shit when we do finally get it?
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The reason why Weir's vocals changed in 87-88 was those super tight shorts that were crushing his nuts. :) Anyway, he sounded good (or good enough) last night at D&Co. Had a good time, would go again. They put a good band together. Mayer definitely did his homework. Lots of happy people there, veterans, rookies, and new recruits. The maroon colored double decker bus from NH ("We know the way.....") was there too. Haven't seen that bus since 1995. I was surprised that it was still running. The band seemed happy too. Hope they keep playing into 2016 and beyond. Post-Jerry Dead is still the best show in town.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

OMG, you made me LOL with the super tight shorts comment! "Post-Jerry Dead is still the best show in town." I have to disagree here. I haven't heard anything post-Jerry that I like, let alone would call the best. The best post-Jerry stuff I've heard is Kreutzman's album - 7 Walkers. I really dislike the stuff where one guitarist or another is imitating Jerry. And I just don't like Weir enough to bother. Great rhythm guitarist with Jerry, but other wise, meh.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

When given a choice between a Dead reincarnation or some other jam band, I will go with the reincarnation. That's what I mean by "best show in town".Not that I'm going on tour. I like my couch and my collection of live Dead recordings. But it's fun to get together with other Dead Heads every now and then. Other band audiences are generally lame.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Kind of starting to feel like a "select" group isn't it? It's just flat out amazing it could take this long to get some digital files into my hands. They could have supplied a download link or sent the files on out in a plain old thumb drive (like I would care). Hell, I'd settle for a email that explained why I was still waiting but I can't get any more info than "hang in there" and "your pain is our pain". I guess at this point it doesn't really matter anymore. Whatever fun or joy I might have gotten out of the thing has turned to frustration and anger. I'm only checking up on it at this point out of principal. I paid a lot of cash so I want my goods.
user picture

Member for

9 years

...and he still does , wonder how he manages after all these years. Well , i like that older Bobby voice more than his younger alter-ego , can`t tell why
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

It is pretty shocking we are still waiting for the USB. And no real updates other than the "repacking and making just exactly perfect", which of course is silly. You don't repack something that has never been packed. I am sure at some point after I get the thing, the last two months of frustration will be in the past and I will enjoy the music. Just a sour way to star - well - assuming it ever arrives. As to Harpur, I always loved Harpur, especially when all I had were tapes and wow was it a special one. Though with all the official stuff we have gotten over the years and IA, I find I don't call anything "the best" anymore. So much amazing high quality stuff. But it is still one of those special shows - just a lot more of them for me now.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

They ship Fare Thee Well on Friday so we will be lucky to see a ship date before Christmas. Anyone know anyone in the music press? Since they can’t be bothered to give us any useful information maybe a little outside pressure might help speed up the process?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

What if Everybody decided to cancel en masse .... maybe that would wake a few people up ?(Edit) I just want SOMEONE who represents Dead.net/Rhino/Grateful Dead to come out and EXPLAIN WHAT IS GOING ON, and WHEN we are going to get the item WE PAID FOR !
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Yeah, im starting to feel a bit grim about the wait too. Check my email each day for a shipping notice...So someone earlier suggested a rebate of some kind but that isn't going to happen,what I do hope though is...if they really feel the pain that at least they up the shipping on this small of an item to overnight shipping when it goes out. To not at the very least do that would be spitting in our collective faces and not in anyway making up even a tiny bit for this. That said, I do want it right and any of you who rip your dead CDs to your computer or music players know that much has to be relabeled and fixed to get songs in the right order or concerts together between discs(i.e. The latest Daves picks). So do it right but at least ship overnight. Ugh.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Not a bad idea, outpost. Very sad about all your USB orders. I would consider cancelling.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

We've got nothing, and no idea when we are likely to get it, so if we cancel, we've lost nothing.I don't want to do it, but I'm considering it. As for Fare Thee Well shipping soon, why would that delay the USB ? Surely they can ship TWO items ? Alternatively, send me a USB with the music, forget the fancy packaging, and give me a $200 refund.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

You wrote: "Is it just me or does Weir's nutty screeching vocals drive anyone else crazy? OMG it's tiring." I don't know man, Brent's vocals are so irritating I don't listen to anything past '78! Jerry's vocals are pretty strained too from '83 on. Best cover band in town though!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

not sure anyone cares or is keeping score but I decided to cancel the USB. Of course I want the tunes and of course it would be nice for them to respond with anything that's not insulting to loyal adults but in the end, it just annoys me that they are holding our money while they "repack". I didnt care about the delay in the beginning but two months down the road, there is no real end in sight. So if it ever surfaces, and i decide to buy it again, i'll pay then.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

If you decide to cancel and want the physical Boxset, let me know. I also have Daves Picks 12 for sale as well.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I am pretty much getting to the same point. Dead.net/Rhino do not seem to understand the basic business principle that no news always equals bad news. I am going to give it one more week but in the mean time I am going to reach out to the music press. Off the top of my head I was thinking Rolling Stone, Relix and Billboard. Tell me that $700 release in limbo two months later is not click bait.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Sitting here listening to the 77 show. Good stuff!.. its nice to hear some new 77 and this was a great pick. CD 1 is great and the 'Peggy-O' is sublime! The 2nd Cd is absolute KILLER!.. I havent even finished Daves 16 yet.. Probably tomorrow... Take care folks!!!
user picture

Member for

13 years

I too have low tolerance for 80s Bob histrionics. However, the biopic The Other One gave me new respect for Mr. Weir and I tend to cut him more slack these days. He's just human. He tried some things that succeeded and some that arguably failed. I'm still sometimes surprised by him in a good way. Heck, all of the singing peaked about 1972.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

The delays will continue for the USB likely into 2016. I agree that people deserve the truth about what essentially is a significant investment of $700+ for the physical and digital media.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

If you really want the music, don't cancel out of frustration. If you read the comments by the people who got the physical media, it looks like it's very worthwhile. I don't think the people at Dead.net or Rhino are doing anybody wrong, my guess is that they have a rotten situation that needs to be worked. I'm also guessing that giving more info would look like they're throwing someone under the bus and might in fact create a worse situation.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

"histrionics" Perfect word! "exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention." I'm glad I'm not the only one in the whole wide world that feels that way :) "biopic The Other One gave me new respect for Mr. Weir" I agree here also.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm under the fing bus, there isn't anyone else down here but those of us who paid $700+ and haven't seen anything. How do you create a worse situation by telling the people who you've already collected $ from what the hell is going on?
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Just found out I scored Ween tickets.Mucho happy :) Anyone know of any pot friendly hotels or B&B's in or near Broomfield,Colorado? Bueller?
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Yeah I'm on that Harpur bus also. That show hooked me, listening to the radio broadcast reel recording I borrowed from my friend's older brother in summer 1972. CHANGED MY LIFE!I played it loud and reveled in how cool and different this sounded than anything I had ever heard before. Thanks David! You guys piqued my interest in the Winterland 73 shows, and so I'm taking a break from the box (I'm up to 1979) and I'm listening to 11/11. And I was there!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yes.. friendly B&B at my house. Its a bit of a drive to the show from here though. ..and nicecat, how lucky you were (are). I have heard mild rumblings about sound quality on that one, but I don't get that. It sounds great to me and the performances.. well.. I'm just so happy someone pressed record. A great run. If you don't have it, run to Mill Valley Music and get one before it, too, is $600. Dead.Net has been out for some time. To Lay Me Down is special to me. As is the DS>Eyes. Even the Row Jimmy from that run sparkles, hell the whole run is special. ..and stop calling me Bueller.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

@caution21470 - Sorry, but that sounds like a load of crap. How can telling the truth make the situation worse (maybe for them if people decide to cancel), but after nearly three months, they should have come up with a credible solution. As far as Deadnet or Rhino not doing anything wrong, well they've taken $700 and not given anything back, and not bothered telling us why.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I don't think Caution did anything wrong. Unless he's a rhino mole, I bet he was just trying to think positive. Nothing wrong with that. But I certainly do see your point. Waiting is not fun, especially after you have paid a considerable amount of money. I hope we get good news soon.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Based on the previous conversation, I listened to the Harpur 1970 aforementioned jam, and am in the middle of Boxzilla's Winterland 4.15.70 Cryptical>>>>Jam flow...I must say my mind is melting...the band was smoking at this time. Holy Cow what a rush. It's left a smoking crater of my mind
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Wow wow wow wow.7 min into Dancin'...just...incredible. A salve while waiting for the 24kt Gold USB necklace to arrive...this show rivals Harpur College and is deserving of entering the 'Legendary Status' Dead Pantheon.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Ha, no not a rhino mole. I had a really good experience this week with the customer service group dealing with an issue on DaP14. So I was being open minded about the 30 Trips debacle.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

I got a reply from CS last night saying they found "serious" issues in the production of the USB that have to be fixed. So that almost has to mean that either the drives were faulty (or enough were they had to re-run everything) or maybe the files were corrupted somehow (maybe something to do with the 24/96). I guess it could have been something wrong with the plastic lightning bolt as well but you'd think if it were a physical thing or drive issue they would have let us download by now and then sent the drive on when they work out that end. I'm tempted to think it was a file issue that caused the entire project to be done over from scratch. I was pleased I didn't get a robot reply of "hang in there" or "we're polishing up the final product for mint condition" bs. Also no ETA at all so I'm siding with those who think this will go on for a LONG time. If they had some eta they could feel good about we would hear it.... right?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

i also assume its a file issue. no doubt we all would want that to be exactly perfect so please fix it. and please just be upfront with your adult buying public. this whole thing is starting to feel like a run of the mill kickstarter campaign. but if the "serious" issue is something to do with the dopey lightning bolt casing, jeesh, please just put the tunes on a quality thumb drive and send it out. i could care less about it looking like a toy. i think most who plunked down for digital only care about the tunes (especially since there is zero being offered beyond the tunes despite the whopping price tag). and if you are taking requests, at a minimum, the book that accompanied the physical box should be provided to the usb gang. a digital file of the book is nice but not exactly a keepsake to remember it all by.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

My guess is that they "polished" the usb drives with magnets. About as plausible as any of the non information they have given us. A file issue is about the least plausible of all the explanations. Once you have the master recording tracked it is as simple as running a batch process with the desired file output type. First batch create files in 24/96 flac, second batch in 20/44 wave for the cd releases and then a final time in 320kps mp3. We know they have the cd files as they have all received their boxillas. We know they have the mp3 versions because of the streaming. Having the usb drive arrive defective or just looking like a piece of garbage is more likely. Alas with no communication we will never know.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Since I haven't been on this site for a month (or longer) I was wondering how the physical box set was received (USB purchasers need not apply - I think it's terrible how you've been treated with no information regarding your purchase - so much for future USB sales) So howzabout the physical box - I've been diving in head first on a daily basis. Your thoughts?
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

I really feel for those of you waiting on the USB orders. If they have extra boxes that were produced to compensate for damaged ones they should offer to send that to you instead. I know most of you would prefer the USB since that is what you ordered in the first place but at this point it would be nice to at least have the option of receiving a physical box, it was the same price after all. Just my two cents and I really feel badly for you, I know how awful I would be feeling about this if it were me.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I am sure that Rhino wanted all of us to get our USB box a month ago. I, personally, am glad that they did not send it out and then have to go through all the "hassle(s)" of getting it fixed after the box arrived. Things happen when people are involved with making anything. How many times did The Dead's equipment fail during a concert? I remember a Jerry Garcia show, in Albany, New York, when something malfunctioned and Jerry "talked" to the audience for a while.Once fixed...the show continued. It was a great show. I am sure that is getting their share of sh*t from people all over the world about this issue. If mine arrives on Christmas Eve it will be a blessing. I can shut off all the holiday music and listen to a few shows. Looking forward to the Albany show. I was there and enjoyed it very much. Mr. Pete--------> aging hippie
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

yes, my recollection is that there was a link to it when they sent us the email advising us that we could stream the shows until they showed up. there may even be a link on the streaming page. let me know if you can't find it
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Are you saying that USB customers can stream the shows? I have no such book link since I'm not a USB customer. But I would LOVE the book in digital format. Would like to find out how, if possible.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

yes, all the usb customers have had streaming access for the past two months or so, ever since the orig release date. i canceled my usb so don't have that streaming access anymore. can't see if the link is still on that page but if you contact CS, im sure (well, maybe not sure) they can get you a link for digital copy of the booklet.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

If you ordered the 30 Trips set, check your Order Status. You should still be able to stream all 30 shows + the 7" vinyl single. You should also be able to download the book in pdf format. I ordered the physical set. I imagine the same goes for USB orders, provided the charge already hit your account.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

After months of waiting, and getting no answers ...... my ticket to the Greek show June 15, 1988, arrived in a huge package ! Fucking great !
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Glad you made it back. I had planned to send you a PM this last few days but work is kicking my proverbial behind. Glad the surgery went well. Was kind of getting worried about you. I am loving the big box with all of its warts. Never saw the real early dead where they played with a younger mindset and drive. All of my shows had warts so I am used to that. But again I am loving it. I have made it through 1976 with 2 listens per show. I still have many unopened official releases and boxes. So I have 2-3 years of stuff to entertain me. How is the back healing up...did you get the new laser back surgery?
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

loved all of the stories last week about taper's and stuff. it was a very enlightening discussion for me. Thanks so much! Wish I had some of my free time back. It will cycle around again.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

They put a wedge between L2 and L5 discs. Now comes the long part - back brace for 3 months and electro-stim (for bone growth) for 6 mos. It'll be worth it to walk again.
product sku