• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You’re a fucking genius!

• jameslily96
    Always Need To Consider Sound Quality And Product Quality

we need to focus on best sound quality whenever checking audio and sound related product online now a days

• KenRat
    Default Avatar

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

• whatsappnumb
    Default Avatar
    Its good to see this post and I really appreciate the author for better informative articles like this and more in the future.http://whatsappnumb.com
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    great blogfriendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    really impressed with the post.friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Jee main 2018 cutoff
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Good to hear that it sounds damn goodRomantic Shayari Good Night Sms
  • amarsriv22
    Default Avatar
    Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Just crossed Boxzilla's '83 show off the listened to list. I will take your most excellent advice and break out 1970(back in a few)...a highlight show amongst many highlights. 30 Trips is a dumping ground of riches from the Vault and 1970 is a peak...rivals Harpur...just a joyous celebration of the groove
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

Agree with earlier posts., I don't know why someone back in the day didn't awake him to how lousy that sounded? Nevertheless, he does sound much better in recent years as he has gone back to just singing. I am very much enjoying every incarnation of post jerry bands. The playing to me is really good and to me better than some of the inconsistent shows of 80's and 90's. Happy thanksgiving all. I'm an hour from where pilgrims landed. Just saw a pbs special on pilgrims. They really had some nuts to do what they did.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

At least someone agrees with me about Weir's singing! Glad to hear he has moved past that, although I really don't like any of the post-Jerry stuff. I have trouble celebrating Thanksgiving since it's a celebration of us massacring a race of people to steal their land.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

That Winterland '70 show is incredible. Biggest surprise in the box. I'll take heat for this, but it's at the #1 spot for '70s shows on my list. The only conundrum I run into with that pick, is Dark Star, as Dick's Picks 4 has one of the all time best. Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless the Dead Heads.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

email from dead.net 2 DAYS LEFT FOR DAVE'S PICKS EARLY BIRD SUBSCRIPTIONS Don't you let this deal go down... we've rambled on and on about what an all-around mighty fine gift a 2016 Dave's Picks Subscription makes (it is becoming quite a classic!) but for all of you left-brained folks out there we're gonna break this one down in simple math so you don't miss the very last chance to save, save, save.*
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hope all safe and warm and surrounded by loved ones. Or a large collection of Dead concerts.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

In my case I'm surrounded by many Dead shows: all DP's, DaP's, RT plus bonus discs all box sets save for Fillmore '69 including E72 and 30TATS as well as all stand alone releases. As insult to injury I just purchased the entire digital series from Amazon yesterday (buyer beware: you're led to believe some of these shows are complete when indeed they are not). All in all i'm set for listening for some time to come. Hope your holiday was an enjoyable one!
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I've been groovin' on these guys, some great stuff up on archive, check out 9/6/15, song windmill, some other date had a very nice Eyes. update - check out 2013-08-03 - nice dark star
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Just now up to the 79 show. I thought the 1st set was really solid but a little mellow & lazy for my taste, Im sure I can grow to love it though. Then of course, something happened, they come out super strong in the 2nd set with an incredible Dancin in the Street>Franklins Tower. Then a great He's Gone>The Other One...Jerry said the band played well when Phil is on and I think Phil was really on in this The Other One, jumping in and out with commanding power and it obviously has an immediate effect on the rest of the guys. Not Fade Away just started out of Drums...back to space fellas.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 10 months

Rambler: One of my friends also got "2 disc 2's from the 77 show". GD MailOrder help email deadnet@mailca.custhelp.com replied quickly and said a replacement disc would be coming. I myself have two copies of Disc 1 from the 73 show - GD custhelp replied quickly and said I would receive an email when the replacement disc is shipped (not mention of when that would be).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

I too got two disk 2's from the '77 show. Called customer service, took my order number, found my name and address, said a replacement would be sent. Haven't heard anything since. Not stressing, plenty to listen to (I'm listening to 1994 now, will finish everything this afternoon). Scheduled delivery of the Idlewild South box is Friday, so that will be fun. Just glad to give a little nudge here -- may well be they want to send all the replacement disks at once.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The real problem with the USB's is that they didn't have 13 points...they all had to be remade...
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

.... yep , there`s 66,81 and 95 on my list, the i am around the sunthirty time....for the first time , think Boxzilla keeps me busy till Easter, and yep , the 12/7 disc final box is to arrive soon here in Austria , hope before snow falls hard till the roof caves in.....we had such wintertime in 2012 - almost 5 feet snow on our roof.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I'd be curious what you think of this set when it arrives.I've been debating it but the price is high considering I already own the original LP and Ludlow Garage. The 5.1 version is tempting (and the added song from Ludlow)but not sure it's worth $60.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I've pre-ordered the two-disc deluxe set - the sound will be greatly improved and Liz Reed from that show, I would have to think, will be worthwhile. I've been digging into my Duane Box and am greatly appreciating the great care taken to cover the bases so well - all in spectacular sound. Isn't today Gaaaaainsville? Right now: Monk and Coltrane @ Carnegie Hall - pretty cool. And Guinness.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I agree, the sound on this set is great.I also love the variety this box has, well worth the purchase price.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

Liberty from '95 is just finishing and that marks the end of my first Trip with this box.I can't think of any software release I'll enjoy more (not counting operating systems for my computers and devices). Thanks to all who worked so hard to make this set available.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Guess 1. - January 2016 after the holidays, but there's been less than 1000 sold. Guess 2. - February 2016 with almost all units sold. Guess 3. - the last week in May, 23rd - 27th, 2016. That's a cruel joke, as the the original announcement was June 2, 2015. Guess 4. - September 12 thru 17, 2016. Earlier announcement of 25% price cut. Refunds for hold out original orders. All 1000 units sold. Also a cruel joke, and a slap in the face. Who really knows, but I think my 1st guess is pretty good.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

I had the Ludlow Garage CDs, but foolishly traded it in, many years ago. (I see that I could get it cheap on ebay, but oh well.) I'll let you know.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Yup, I finally completed Trip 2. I was not as blown away by this one as some other posters were. Sure, I love the Norman mix from the 8-track tapes. He really took his time and made this sound as good as it could, and we don't have to suffer the Owsley hard panning. Isn't it weird that the crowd sounds so close to the mics at the end of each song? In those moments (only) it sounds like an audience tape. My faves are GMLS, New Potato, and Alligator. I also love that you can hear Weir inventing his odd style when Garcia backs off for a few bars. Onward! 1968 looks delicious. I bet that Caution is hotter.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Curious if this is at all related to the boys first actual gig as Grateful Dead which was played 50 years to the day this Friday, December 4th...not sure if others have caught it, but over the past few days I've found the GD on TV. It was Sunday I think they were playing the Grateful Dead movie, so I forced the wifey to sit and watch the second half. She questioned why only one drummer (wow - she's LEARNING) so I explained the whole mickey leaving and his dad stealing and hence the impetus for 'He's Gone'....and I clearly shared way too much cause her eyes kinda glazed over at that point.... Then last night on a Providence PBS station was the Dead Ahead video from Radio City Music Hall in October '80. it had been a while since I watched that, and again, I was severely impressed by the wifey who noted that after the commercial break "would be other fan favorites including Fire on the Mountain", at which point she turned to me with wide eyes and said "Ohhh do you think they'll also play Scarlet Begonias??" Again, pride swelled within me. Impressed, Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

well thats awesome took me many many years to figure out what they may play next! I miss the boys terribly!!!
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

OneMan I don't think you had it turned up loud enough;-) I found the '67 show to be real upbeat, swinging, high energy, tight, and with great vocals. I actually preferred it over the '68 show at the Greek, in terms of quality. The Greek I felt was overrated. I guess I was expecting the Dark Star / St. Stephen / The Eleven to be the best ever, but I think the '69 Dark Stars and St. Stephens with TC from 30 Trips and FW Complete trump the Greek, and The Eleven from Two From The Vault remains the all time champion. I will revisit both though, makes for stimulating conversation. But the Other One from 67 is inspired, and the School Girl is filthy dirty great, and the New Potato Caboose, wow it's all so good. I admit I'm not the biggest Cution /Feedback fangirl. Aligator might be best ever, and love the punked out Beat It On Down The Line. Even this version of Hurts Me Too feels special.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Any of you poor souls who paid $700 back in September get the "holiday cheer" they promised or any update on why we still have no ship date or any info at all?
user picture

Member for

13 years

I can't disagree. I revisited the Viola Lee and was slightly underwhelmed but the highlights you mention will all receive repeat plays on my (loud) studio monitors. I tend to skip around once I have my faves. I'm not expecting 68 or 69 to exceed what I have heard in other shows, but still looking forward to experiencing new twists on old themes.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

So unfortunate GD/Rhino continues to "underwhelm" paying customers with poor service regarding this USB version of "Thirty Trips". So glad I cancelled my order. This over-priced package just seems to get worse with each passing day.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Who the fuck EVER is in charge of the USBs please get it together for the folks who have been WAAAAAY beyond patient with you.It's December now for fucks sake.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I know wrong spot,,, But I think they took down the 30 days forum area. Anyway, on the last day someone posted about some guy who does 31 days of December and gave a link to where you could get. I went there and was able to download his "picks" for 2010,11,12,13.I can not find 2014 or picks for this month. Do you have the 2014 picks? Do you have any additional links for this guy's stuff. If you missed it, this guy does his own picks for December (31 Days of December). He had some really tasty picks, each month seems to be about 6 hours worth of stuff. Some long into segments were picked (some odd ones too). Guy did a nice job. Was a bit of a pain in the ass to download with commercials to skip around, but hell the guy did the hard part and gathered up the stuff. I'm attaching the link I have, 4 years worth are there at least. Have at it. http://www.phantasytour.com/bands/phish/threads/4108337/31-days-of-dead…
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ok I found the 2014 selections. They were downloadable one at a time if you followed the thread. Also I think when I got to the end of thread there was links for 2014 in chunks, but I got all of 2014 in any event. Will look for 2015 later.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

btw , anyone got a decent copy of this epic show ? if yes i`d like to get a physical copy on cdr - please contact me , yes there´`s time to listen to some other stuff as i am around the sun more than thirty times right now - oh Boxzilla , still love you
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...until today. The Boston classic rock station I always listen to regularly has trivia questions related to the Grateful Dead; I pretty much always know the answers but never get through. Today was the exception...it was a very easy question (what was the first song played at Fare Thee Well on Friday night in Chicago)...I actually was able to get through as caller #5 and of course spewed the correct answer (Box of Rain). So I won something from the official Fare Thee Well Releases...I think it was the 2-disc compilation. I'll take it for the cost of a phone call and information sharing. Karma came around for me this time. Happy, Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

Why no 1965 show anyway?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Can I trouble someone to PM me with the dates/locations of the 30 days shows or a link to this list. I neglected to write these down and want to update my MP3 titles. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Being in the UK, it'll probably take a little longer to receive .... but it will probably be a similar insult to that I received a couple of weeks ago. What joker at CS thinks that a fucking ticket stub makes up for this disaster !Fucking useless wankers !
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yes the link was there, but they took to comment section down. update - sorry I thought this was in reply to my earlier comment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Called customer service and they did like you said, took my order number and what not and said a replacement would be sent. But they also said I'd get a follow up email, which I haven't received yet. Still not sweating, yet. For anyone else who had disc issues, how long did it take to get resolved? I was listening chronologically and am derailed for the moment. Can always go back and savor. Blessing in disguise, that '81 show from Cornell is really hot. Even with the audience patch at the end. Still, of all the places to get stuck, '82, '83, '84 wasn't the best. Did like the '84 a lot on first listen, time to go back and revisit these five.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

From the Good Ol' Dr. Rhino. Waiting,,, Its been a while (more or less approximately a month) and really losing a lot of steam in the chronolgical 30 Trips. F Dr. Rhino on this one, I aborted the 30 Trips, when I arrived at the damages. However, the 3 shows I did hear (1966-1968) are very nice and the damages gives me time to revisit those 3 nuggets. I have heard the Dream Bowl show many times, I bypassed that one and the show from 1970 (both damaged). Keeping with the spirit of 30 Trips, I did get my fill of both years, stopping by for a visit - Grateful Dead Live at McArthur Court, University of Oregon on 5.31.69 :) On RSD, I scored a bootleg of 4.3.70- The Grateful Dead Live at Field House, University of Cincinnati :) and substituted that instead of my damaged 4.15.70, which I got from dead.net. Seems like some stage banter was cut on this boot, still looking for that piece of banter. 4.3.70 has quite a bit of buzz and hum that is prevalent throughout much of the recording, similar to 4.18.70 release, including a killer That's It For The Other One -> Cosmic Charlie. Another 30 trips complaint,, no Friend of the Devil from 1970 !?! Now I have speed over the 2 damaged duds I got from dead.net, I may resume with 3.18.71
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

I had 2 separate disk replacement issues. When I first got the box I did an initial disk inspection and found 2 disks that had big cracks in them. Reported it to customer service and received the replacements in about 10 days or so. Then as I was going through and listening I discovered that disk 3 of the 74 show was bad. Major skipping at the end of the disk. I reported that along with some other minor damage issues to a couple of cases. I received that replacement shipment about 3 weeks. I was also told that a follow up email would be sent which I never received. At least I got all of my issues resolved. I think I got my first replacement much faster because it was right at the beginning. As time has gone on they have obviously been getting more and more replacement requests.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Feeling dizzy Quick impressions: 60's & 70's shows are all excellent, you can hear a continuous evolution, with each year having a specific sound. On the other hand, 80s shows all seem to have a similar sound; for me the only way to differentiate between years is by listening to Jerry's voice. That said(my opinion, of course), 1980 through 1984 are the best of the 80's, 1988 & 1989 are at the bottom Surprisingly, like someone else mentioned here, I find the 90's shows superior to the late 80's.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

yeah, I definitely enjoyed the 90s stuff more than late 80s. I'm not going to say why, as I was attacked ferociously last time, but let's just say I enjoy Vince's contributions. I was really surprised that '87 MSG wasn't better, for all the hype in the liner notes. Just seems average to me. I can find a better Terrapin, Bird Song, Morning Dew, Candyman, Sugaree, etc in the 70s.

Member for

16 years 11 months

mbarilla,5-31-69 is one of my favorites ~ I once asked Dave if this was in the vault, but his response was lost in the spamblocker void. Maybe the hottest (and one of the last?) of the old-riff Cold Rains. Speaking of hottest Cold Rains, I'm joining KeithFan in lauding 4-15-70 as one of the stellar classic-riff versions/70-73 era ~ or any era. Jerry's got the Aoxomoxoa voice going, and the finale cranks. Thus far, 4-15-70 is the crown jewel of the box for me. In the golden circle of greatest releases ever. (mbarilla, it'll be worth the wait.) KeithFan did a solid play-by-play already, but a few thoughts... Some of the finest harmonizing the GD ever did onstage. My brother kept marveling that "this sounds like a crack blues band in a hot club" or "this is studio quality perfection"...they're just so tight, and on. Candyman is a bonus track on the American Beauty remaster, but hearing it in context, coming off of Man's World, left me in tears for the beauty these guys brought forth at their best. Almost a capella in its vocal focus, with Phil, Bob, Jerry all perfect. This version could've been included seamlessly on Workingman's. Then the unique, spontaneous jam out of Drums, with The Other One yet to come ~ searing with '68 ferocity. Incredible sound quality also ~ you can hear everybody clearly. One of Bear's finest.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Have to admit the '89 show underwhelmed me, too. Probably not fair to listen to it right off of 4-15-70. But it also competes with Hampton & Nightfall of Diamonds, and doesn't stand with those. Wild Dark Star, but Jerry's voice is awful ~ he had these nights where his playing could be sweet, but he just had a case of the frogs; no biggie for the faithful, but not ideal for release IMO. Wheel's always welcome, but Watchtower was never my favorite - always thought it was too easy a cover, fun as it was to hear Jerry get raunchy - and Stella Blue here is average at best. This is the first show where I skipped right to 2nd set, and following that I've moved to Dream Bowl. So it's also the first show I didn't hear all of before grabbing another. And I agree about '87 MSG -- a solid listen & representative of that year's energy, but not best-of-year. I'd've gone with Landover 9/12 or Hampton 3/22. I love the MSG Dew, of course, but 9/12 boasts its own hall of fame version and isn't saddled with a paltry 6-song first set. 3/24 has the monster Terrapin (and a thrilling Let It Grow, and the most emotional Not Fade & Brokedown you're likely to find), but a gravelly vocal night for Jerry.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

10.23.89 is one of my favorite shows from the tour. And I imagine they were not going to pick one of the Spectrum shows, those 3 could make a nice box set.. October 18-20, 1989.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yeah, I'd blocked some entire spam-prone domains from my earthlink account, with the unforeseen effect that I didn't even see messages from some senders, even in spamblocker. I think this cost me a couple of dates in addition to Dave's verdict on 5/31/69 before I discovered what was happening. Sigh. ~*~*~*~ RE: 67 & 68, I prefer Greek '68 for its sheer power. Perfect little zap o' 68. Love the '67, though, and even moreso the '66.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

unless the girl is paying :) 1967 versus 1968 , tough choice if i had to pick one, i would go with the 1967 show because of New Potato Caboose and Alligator -> Caution.. Extreme flash back when hearing this show, the sound on this one took me back to the Grateful Dead self titled debut album.
product sku