• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You’re a fucking genius!

• jameslily96
    Always Need To Consider Sound Quality And Product Quality

we need to focus on best sound quality whenever checking audio and sound related product online now a days

• KenRat
    Default Avatar

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

• whatsappnumb
    Default Avatar
    Its good to see this post and I really appreciate the author for better informative articles like this and more in the future.http://whatsappnumb.com
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    great blogfriendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    really impressed with the post.friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Jee main 2018 cutoff
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Good to hear that it sounds damn goodRomantic Shayari Good Night Sms
  • amarsriv22
    Default Avatar
    Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I'm always interested to hear opinions that are a little different from the general consensus. The Miami '89 show has long been held in high regard and I really enjoyed it as I skip around the box at my leisure. My initial impression was that if someone doesn't like Brent or Jerry's "froggy" voice then this show will not change their mind. But for those who like it all this is a damn good show. The first set really rocks from start to finish and for me, the highlight is the kick ass Victim. I know a lot of people don't like this song and I didn't either until I heard it at Richfield, on the floor in '94 and somehow the light bulb turned on. After that I would listen to tapes and hear Victim and think, "How did I not like this song before?" If ever there was a Victim to change someone's mind I would suggest this one from '89. The second set is fantastic as well. I particularly enjoyed the prelude (with a lower case p) to Dark Star. The Dark Star itself is great but the mini jam before it is unique to my ears and exactly the kind of thing that gets me excited about these releases. I found the '88 show to be somewhat underwhelming, particularly the rather sloppy late segment but I'm surprised to hear that some are unimpressed with the '87 show. I'm far from an expert on '80s Dead but I've always considered 9-18-87 as a top five post 70s show and this release reinforced my opinion (I love it). But I've not delved deeply into that decade since my kids were born 16 years ago.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

I have no problem with and fully respect OMGWAMS, as music is subjective. Whatever moves you moves you, whatever doesn't doesn't. However, it cracks me up to read criticisms of 9-18-87 based on the notion that there are better versions of some of the songs out there. Well of course there are, no shit. That can be said for every release as no one single show (other than Boreal Ridge of course) contains the best version of every song, not even Cornell. This is a particularly silly view of things in the context of this box set, given that its focus was to provide a historical snapshot of the band for each and every year. And this show does just that quite well. A show is the sum of its parts and the 9-18-87 show is an overwhelmingly way above average 1987 show at worst (don't take my word, it finished way high in Deadbase reader polls for years, among other Deadhead metrics) and was the perfect choice here among shows available for release in the vault. Not everything that has a "killer version of ____" is in the vault in condition to be released, nor do you release a show for an individual part unless it is a pretty special Dark Star or jamming vehicle.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

It's a shame, hopefully drugs did not take another charismatic singer.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

I hear ya. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of update sent out late this week to let us know about the USB status or was that just a rumor?
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I ordered a couple tee shirts (wow 30 trips shirt material is basically a rag AHAHAH LOL) and got the ticket for 1.28.87 , Chinese New Year and 1st show of 1987 :) Maybe when my ticket collects dust I will use that 30 trips tee shirt I bought to wipe it off,, what ever happened to Hanes Beefy Tees ? 9.18.87 great choice, Sept 87 is very nice 11.15.87 another primo show from 1987
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Felt the same way about the FTW T's. Did not go to any shows but bought a Santa Clara one and the Terrapin one and I fear both will not stand up to the test of time. The Wolf shirt from Jerry site was nice quality.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Dear 30 Trips USB customer, We will be shipping out your 30 Trips Around The Sun USB next week. We apologize for the delay in getting it to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email or call 877-332-3638 (+434-205-7051 for international customers). We very much appreciate you sticking it out with us. Best, The Dead.net Team
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

VERY glad to hear the USB Gang will indeed be getting their wares before Christmas. Hope it all rounds out without a hitch and that your joy is pervasive. Sincerely, Sixtus
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I'm amused at your amusement:) I guess I should have elaborated - If 9/18/87 is the best 1987 has to offer (as is pretty much indicated in the liner notes, and by you of course), and I can find a better Terrapin, Bird Song, Morning Dew, Candyman, Sugaree, etc, on EVERY 70s release, then why listen to 1987 at all. Don't mistake me - I'm a big fan of the Who too, and I enjoyed every note of their 50th tour immensely while I was at the show, but to playback a recording of it does not satisfy, because Townshend is a shadow of his former self, and Daltrey's voice is the equivalent of Jerry after '85 or whenever, and so, I would never listen to a live Who gig on CD from 2015 - I would go back to when they sounded good on record. It's just the nature of the beast. Same with the Stones. Same with Dead & Co; the show was great, I had a blast, but I would never waste my time listening to a CD of it, when I could be spending that time listening to One From The Vault. Maybe when I'm good and tired of everything that's been released from '66 - '78 will I go to something as 'relatively' inferior as Madison Square Garden, 1987. But I'll answer my own question - I've been taking the best of the newer live renditions and making mixes of them, since I obviously can't go back to the 70s for Foolish Heart or Throwing Stones or Feel Like A Stranger. That's a good use of several shows I had to buy to get the good stuff.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

WOW, that is great news.Very happy to think that those who have been waiting will receive this before Christmas. I'm sure many people have time off and it will be great for them to have this in hand. Based on my first listen, everyone should be very happy they never canceled their order.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Two questions: Does everyone have the bad sound towards the end of Jack Straw? That was a bummer and I don't recall anyone mentioning it. Second, in Loser, Jerry adds the 'Sweet Suzie' later in the song than usual. I'm just curious, does anyone know when that line was permanently dropped from the song?I thought a great show, I'm down to one left for virgin ears, '77, before I start all over again!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Have doubts mine will arrive before Xmas, unless they lay on some kind of special shipping.Usually takes a couple of weeks, so will probably get lost in the mail !
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I believe he dropped it late '72/ early '73. Others on this site can cite the exact instance. As for the noise in 'Jack' (wheeze?) it's on my copy as well
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'll take Obscure Dead Lyric Trivia for 1000 Alex, and I'm gonna go with 5/19/74 aka Dave's Picks Volume 9, aka Dinosaurs, the Dead, and the Land of No Return for the last Sweet Soozie. Who knows for sure. That's the latest one in time I can think of on an official release (which are more my province - I'm sure there are ton of soundboards that may contain it); I don't recall any post-hiatus utterings of Sweet Soozie.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

To Dead.net for the latest email. Happy 50th to all. Can't wait to get home and put on something real good. Hope usb is solved soon.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

would make my list of primo tracks from Dave's Picks series. These dont have Sweet Susie but they are all very nice. --Dave's 8 with another top tier Loser. Dave's 8 start to finish is Top Class and nearly flawless. --Dick's Picks 20 - 9.25.76 - Loser And one that is officially unreleased but soon to be... The Grateful Dead Live at Stanley Theatre on December 1, 1979. Loser is one of the prizes for that night. Same with 7.22.84 - Loser :) With "Sweet Suzie" 1979 - Loser with "Sweet Suzie" - 1.10.79, but this show is famous for other reasons. 1974 - Loser with "Sweet Suzie" - 6.18.74, also famous for other reasons. Most of this show has been released.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

As always, I'm getting caught up so I am several pages behind, but I did want to comment and say I loved the 1982 show. For the Brent era thus far in the box, '79 did nothing for me, my least favorite at that point...'80 was better, '81 also was lackluster to me, but loved '82. Giving a relisten just to that mini-box now to reappraise. Also, for those into the new Dylan set, THIS is how you make someone's Friday: "Dear Collector, We hope you are enjoying The Cutting Edge 1965-1966: The Bootleg Series Volume 12: Collector's Edition. Thanks again for your purchase! The holidays are coming early for you via a special gift from Columbia Records: 208 tracks encompassing more than ten hours of previously unreleased live Bob Dylan performances from his landmark 1965 tours, including 14 complete concerts – both acoustic and electric - and an array of recordings from television shows, hotel rooms, and other live appearances." Downloading now. :D
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The Sweet Susie discussion is interesting. I doubt if the date fell exactly after an official release (but it might have). Still, I think KeithFan is just about perfect in his answer. T-Shirts.. thanks for someone picking up on this. I quit buying them from official channels because the quality and sizing are 3rd world. Come on people.. pick up on this and give us at least a half decent product for chrissakes. That's purely and simply function of either management asleep at the wheel or more cynically a bit of greed in the pot. I am less aggressive about the delays and CD issues so long as they do finally stand behind their product and get stuff fixed, after all, everything musically related they release has aged at least 20 years in oak before they bottle it by now. But merch quality bugs me and the FTW slip in of non GD music bothers me because it was sold as a pre-order. Anyway.. I am off my high horse, I am really enjoying both Dave's 16 and the LA 67 show from the box at the moment. Nothing slacking in quality from these two offerings. Have a good weekend all. Get better quality T-Shirts, Dead.Net. ________________ Sorry to rant, I am far from disgruntled.. just a minor pet peeve. Have a good weekend all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Dear 30 Trips USB customer, We will be shipping out your 30 Trips Around The Sun USB next week. We apologize for the delay in getting it to you. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email or call 877-332-3638 (+434-205-7051 for international customers). We very much appreciate you sticking it out with us. Best, The Dead.net Team
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

Thanks for sharing the info., that is some addition to the set. I thought it was pricey when I first looked at it but 10 hours of unreleased material sure makes that better. What a gift to people who must be true fans.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I would like to know when he started asking for ten gold dollars, instead of just one gold dollar. Crazy inflation rate. It would be funny if the same applied to say, Wharf Rat..."He asked me for a dollar, a dollar for a cup of coffee..."
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Still being wowed by my chronological journey. I'm listening to the Worcester 1983 show. Blown away by Space > Truckin' - after listening to the whole show, on my third run on that sequence after a couple of trips on Scarlet > Fire. Wow that was some of the most beautiful Space I've heard. I know it says "Sage and Spirit" Jam in Deadbase, but I could swear I heard traces of Victim in embryotic form from Bobby. I jumped over to the show thread, but no one's posted anything recently and the former posts did mention Sage and Spirit. Guess I need to do a deeper dive. Speaking of T-shirts - I picked up a Europe72 T from Amazon for less than 20 which was a beefy T with the E72 Album cover on both sides. I wore it to the DSO show and a bunch of people kept asking me about it. Off to REMville with a playlist from the 73 trip. Happy 50th!!! Glad to see the Bolters got some positive news, they better overnight them to y'all!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

Hi all, just wondering if there is a good summary of known sound imperfections (those unrelated to scratches) in any of these threads? Thanks.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

right.. should be "asked me for Jackson, a Jackson for a cup of latte. That would be in pace with the times.
user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

I haven't been here in a while. Checking in and glad to see that the USB drives are shipping. Given that they weigh about an ounce, hopefully they will be shipped via a fast and reliable method. Someone mentioned being disappointed that non-GD music was included on the FTW CDs. I will say that while I had a great, great time at the Friday and Sunday Chicago shows (missed Saturday), I have listened to more of the Neal Casal discs than the FTW discs. I think it is really fine stuff. Some sweet GD riffs buried in there, and really nice instrumental music throughout. I think I may try it as background music for our next dinner party, rather than me throwing together a custom mix as usual. I am mainly listening to 30 Trips in order and am only through 1970. All good things in all good time. Oh, and someone mentioned a Space>Truckin'. Wasn't that Deep Purple?
user picture

Member for

13 years

Muleskinner, my many thanks for the heads up. My Dylan purchase was tied to a Gmail account that I check only occasionally, so I might have missed it without your help. It's all downloaded safe & sound on the Macbook now, and I'm gonna plug it in immediately for some loud Saturday grooving. Yee haw!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

one of my favorites, I have 1994 GDM Inc, with the fruits & Liquid Blue tag. The fruits, they always looks so tasty. Bought it new over 20 years ago. The tees are hit or miss on website and shows, I bought a couple tees at Dead and Company show, one was Liquid Blue, very nice. I prefer Liquid Blue and Hanes Beefy.
user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

I love those moments in a show when Jer connects with a crowd and it's like a lighting bolt blast the stage and the band explodes in wonderful blissful music. I think these are the moments I listen for in a show and when I hear them I realize why this music is so important to us. Safe to say I wasn,t prepared for it when it happened in the 87 Dew from this box. The energy from it carries the band right through the end of the show. What a great moment in music and how lucky are we to have these kind of moments preserved in this box for the rest of our good lives.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I can't think of any other band that did it better. If that connection happened at a show I attended, albeit it being maybe a couple minutes worth, I walked away a different person. It was tangible. You could reach out and touch it, hug it, caress it, then let it go back to the stage....and no, I necessarily didn't need to be high to be able to grab that golden ring when it happened....mercy.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

I'm really enjoying boxilla .... And all your posts. I'm only about 1/3 thru boxilla and am skipping around especially focusing on fav years and fav venues (mostly mass and New England since that is where I saw most my shows). That all being said ... I haven't done deep dives but Here is my take on shows Exceeding expectations....69, 83, 94, 75 ... Especially 69 Shows not exceeding expectations.... 79, 84, 73 Not exceeding expectations doesn't mean they were bad shows, just expecting a little more. I need to spend more time ... Especially with 79. Overall boxilla is meeting expectations. .... And my expectations were huge so that is a good thing. I do have a major static burst in 79 dancing jam ...anyone else have this? Out
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Hi gang, has anybody noticed what sounds like an echo on one of drummers snares around the 6:30-6:40 of Sugaree, that last through the rest of disc 1? I hope disc 2 and 3 are better because I'm in the apparent minority of really loving a Bruce/Vinnie show. :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

I'm home, the other five are away, and I'm cranking the '84 show wondering how anyone could not absolutely love this show. Then I read a post, which makes me laugh because one of the three shows that totally underwhelmed me was '69 and the only portion of a show that actually made me scream in ecstasy was the '73 China->Fire. Which is all good! Doesn't mean I'm correct, just means I need to go back and listen to the three meh shows of 69, '79 and '89 IMHO. So keep the reviews coming, I love reading them even if we don't necessarily agree but all agree The Dead Rock!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

The Jerry solo in Dancing in the Street is extraordinary...just beautiful in the 6:00s. I keep coming back to this groove and am floored every time. My suspicions confirmed...The Audio Dictionary has this Solo filed under their definition of the word 'Sublime'.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Listening for the first time tonight. The first set was fun. The second set: HO...LEE...SHIT! I think someone mentioned earlier that the jam out of drums sounds like Soul Sacrifice at Woodstock and I have to agree; you could almost put it on the set list. Just a great second disc. This one and the '71 show have exceeded my expectations in a big way. So far I've listened to a little more than half the shows (not in order). '73 and '72 are my favorites, but that's no surprise as those are my favorite years. I enjoyed your post, Takimoto. As NWSFG said, "Varying Opinions." The '73 and '79 shows were among those that made me feel I couldn't live without this box and the '84 is indeed one that exceeded my expectations. Below expectations for me so far have been '78 and '88. Funny how we can love the same band yet have such different opinions. Next up for me will be the '83 show, maybe Thursday night.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

When the complete contents of Boxzilla were announced I was somewhat dismayed that 5/14/78 was the pick for 1978. At the time I was down on Dick's 25 (5/10/78 New Haven, CT. & 5/11/78 Springfield, MA.) and I hadn't listened to either show since I bought it in July of 2002. Good but not spectacular shows, plus the shows were missing two songs each. Earlier this week I "had to" listen to the 5/10 show - it sort of jumped out at me - I liked it very well and continued with the 5/11 discs. Again, it had the same level of intensity as the previous show and I liked it very well. Just this morning I finished listening to May 14 1978 and I thought it was great and it did have the same level of intensity as the the Dick's 25 shows. It's complete, and I do like complete shows for the most part, which allows me be the judge of what I like and what I don't care for. Great choice! I also played Dave's 15 (4/22/78 Nashville Municipal Auditorium) in its entirety about 2 weeks ago and that's a completely different animal compared to the aforementioned shows.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Spring 78 is one of my favorite tours to listen to. A lot of top notch highlights. Out of the 4 Dave's Picks from 2015, 4.22.78 would probably rank 2nd. Even with the short 3rd disc. Filler would have knocked that one out of the park Favorite Dave's picks this year was 2.24.74, least favorite was 3.28.73.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

Dennis, thanks for sending the link for that 31 days of December ... I was checking out that link out and his selections ... pretty cool! I'll be looking for his Dec 2015 selections dave
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

That is funny how some people love certain years and shows and others don't. I will say with 3 little kids and a busy job I rarely get time to just sit and listen to music. Most of my listening is in the car on the way to work in rush hour ... so not fully tuned in. Also, I'm only giving each disk 1 listen through at this point as I want to make sure they aren't defective. I did have major hack in the 79 show that I need a replacement disk for. I recommend all you to do the same. I had another hack in 84 disk but its a song I don't care about so I'm not worried it. I'm only about 1/3 thru Boxilla. But, I will be spending more time with 79, 84, 73. Its funny too because 73 is my fav year so I thought I'd dig San Diego more. I presume these shows will soon exceed expectations upon further review. Speaking of further review, the Patriots just let the Eagles block a punt for a TD right before half. Good grief. peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

I like 78 ... i think it may be an underrated year. I thought the Dave's pick from 4/22 was fabulous. I also love that DP 18 from 78 (I think it was 18 ... forget the actual number). My fav scarlet fire with an awesome Samson before that. Jerry was on fire that nite.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Takimoto: On this topic I couldn't agree more! The opening Bertha is pretty darn impressive too, so is Cold Rain. Hell, it's all great!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

As it's been stated before music like all art is subjective. 1978 is my least favorite/go to year.Having seen them twice that year, the performances seemed lackluster and uninspired. Made me think '78 was '77 with a hangover. Also JG's substance abuse was obviously worsening. It seemed the back half of the 2nd sets were becoming less and less. Of course it could have been the shows I'd seen, but 1978 seemed like a bottoming out. Since I've been reading everyone's pro-'78 statements, I've been trying to listen with new/fresh ears. So far I can say Dap7 proves my point while DaP15 has given me new hope. I haven't listened to Boxzilla '78 as I'm waiting for the right time. I do plan on going back and listening to the older releases as well. All in all I enjoy reading everyone's pro/con statements. Keep 'em coming!
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I've always considered '78 an inconsistent year and it was never among my favorites but DaP15 really got me excited. Then several great folks here posted links to hot '78 shows and I had to question my long held opinion. But I have to say, I wasn't particularly impressed with the '78 show in Boxzilla. I even gave it a second thorough listen to make sure it wasn't just my mood the first time. It just seems a little too "hard rock" if that makes any sense. Maybe my expectations were raised by DaP15 and those other great shows.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Interesting, you're thoughts on the '73 show given it's your favorite year (mine too). I really think the format of the discs disrupts the flow in a big way. Not to be negative but I have two complaints about the Box: we should have had jewel cases and the '73 show should have been released in order like the Europe '72 shows. It's the best show in the box (ymmv) and it deserved better. One more disc in the box would not break Rhino's back. I will soon burn this show to discs in the correct order and probably not listen again to the original (at least set 2).The glories of this box far exceed the negatives, though.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

Favorite Dead Year70. NO! 69. 72 Too
user picture

Member for

13 years

I've said it before, but Dick's 25 is my all-time least favorite official release. I don't mind the "hard rock" aspect of it, and there are a couple of spine-tingling moments in there. It's the way the performances often go off the rails into what is for me an embarrassing over-reaching. It's most obvious on "Dancing in the Streets" and a few other places. I know there's some backstory about hallucinogens, and that would have been fine if they had kept it cool like they did way back when they were learning how to play while being that high. That said, when 1978 is at its best, I really love it. It is perhaps the year with the most edge. And as long as they don't go past it, the energy is electrifying to me. All of the other 1978 releases are among my favorites.
product sku