• 200 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    DAVE'S PICKS 2019 SUBSCRIPTION

Well, starting out our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, you might be asking, "how can they outdo the previous 28 Dave's Picks?" We sure are aiming to do so! As you'd expect, we receive many suggestions and requests for releases, and one of the top vote-getters on a consistent basis is 2/26/77, and we're thrilled to start the year with such an exceptional, sought-after show. Just as we started 2018 with an upper-echelon A+ Dead show (11/6/77 Binghamton, NY), that's exactly how we're beginning 2019. And just like the three spectacular shows that followed in 2018 (11/17/71 Albuquerque, NM; 9/2/83 Boise, ID; and 6/17/76 Passaic, NJ), we're planning on an equally strong 2019, filled with surprises and excellent playing throughout. Exciting times ahead! Thanks to everyone who's supported the series both from its inception in 2012, to all of the more recent subscribers. We REALLY appreciate the faith you have in us to consistently deliver great Dead shows to your door four times per year with the Dave's Picks series. We work hard on all aspects of our releases to make sure you'll be as thrilled with the finished, delivered CD as we are. Dave's Picks Vol. 29 will likely go down as one of the most well-received Picks in the series, and the show we're considering for Vol. 30 (plus the Bonus Disc!) will be another smashingly wonderful release. As all of the subscription hoopla indicates, there are plenty of benefits to subscribing, not least of which is ensuring you'll definitely receive all four releases in 2019. It's going to be a great year! Thanks again for coming along for the ride; great times ahead!

David Lemieux

October 2018

You just can't get enough! And neither can we. The Dave's Picks Series is summer love, spring, fall, and winter. So in 2019 we're turning up the Dave's Picks production run to 20,000 of each of the four releases. We've said it before and we'll say it again - while this means there will be more to go around, the best advice we have to give is... subscribe. When these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. Hours. No hyperbole here. The only way to avoid disappointment and be guaranteed all four Dave's Picks in 2019 is to subscribe.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2019, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92). EARLY BIRD SUBS WILL END ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018 AT 11:59PM.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cactus68
    Default Avatar

I would love to see 6/10/1973 w Allman Bros as a Dave’s Picks release!!

• perithecat

Too true ice cream too true .
    And I always get stuffed with import taxes to the uk when ive paid over the odds on eBay .
    Long live the subscription and all they throw at us in box sets .

• icecrmcnkd

Subscription.

$100 - free shipping, a guaranteed copy (no guarantee that the CDs won’t skip), and a bonus disc.

If you don’t do it you have no one else to blame but yourself.

• perithecat

Fair play and well put . I take on board what you say . To be honest now I’ve got a subscription I guess it’s not really my problem any more and anyone who moans should just do the same . I’m quite lucky as my birthday is a month before Christmas and a couple of weeks after the subscriptions go on sale so it’s the ideal joint present seeing as I never used to know what to say when people ask what I want .
    Hopefully rhino will have a better year of it this year after last years disc skipping fiasco .

• Mind-Left-Body

I once thought the way you do. Then someone on here explained it in a way that makes sense. Which is basically that a third or more go to resellers. With the internet, distribution is simple. We all basiaclly get them at wholesale for a short duration (Dave's Picks subscription period), then the prices go up (eBay period). Rhino isn't going to settle for selling a third less by limiting orders too much. They're much happier selling 20 thousand Dave's Picks a quarter than 12 thousand. Can't blame them, it's a business. And I'm okay with it because 1) I have a subscription, and 2) a shitily run business is always going to go out of business. And then there's no Dead releases for anyone anymore. No thanks, I'd rather see Rhino prosper and I get my 4 releases + box sets. That's how it is and that's best for anyone who wants more Dead.

• perithecat

Loving the artwork and cant wait for it's arrival .

Here's my 2 bob's worth for what its for :-

I'm a newbie on the whole dave's picks scene no 28 was the first one I bought and I subscribed as soon as I could for this years , so that I could complete 2018's collection I ended up paying over the odds on ebay for 25/26&27 and this has got me thinking - surely the maximum purchase should be one per person because as far as I can see people are buying the extra copy for there good friend Mr E.Bay !
    Surely a few copies left in rhinos warehouse alongside happy deadheads is better than unhappy heads having to pay up for someone else's profit .

• cactus68
    Default Avatar

Does anyone know when the CD ships for 2019 subscribers?

• 80sfan
    Default Avatar

Hi everyone - hope you all had a happy new year.

Not sure how many of you are on twitter, but Dave posted this email he got and I felt I had to share...too funny

https://twitter.com/lemieuxdavid/status/1081193251858567168

• cactus68
    Default Avatar
    Plangent Process The Dave's Picks!! (cactus)

I second that motion! The stream on archive.org shows the potential for DP29 and the 1970(SP30) surely needs Plangent.

• RI Tom

I am a longtime subscriber to the series and would like the powers at be to please consider using Plangent Process on all Dave's Picks releases. It's our community's dedication to the highest quality to seek the best, and a show can't sound its best without the Plangent Process. I would pay a premium on the subscription price for Plangent Processed Dave's Picks. Thanks for your consideration!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

DAVE'S PICKS 2019 SUBSCRIPTION

Well, starting out our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, you might be asking, "how can they outdo the previous 28 Dave's Picks?" We sure are aiming to do so! As you'd expect, we receive many suggestions and requests for releases, and one of the top vote-getters on a consistent basis is 2/26/77, and we're thrilled to start the year with such an exceptional, sought-after show. Just as we started 2018 with an upper-echelon A+ Dead show (11/6/77 Binghamton, NY), that's exactly how we're beginning 2019. And just like the three spectacular shows that followed in 2018 (11/17/71 Albuquerque, NM; 9/2/83 Boise, ID; and 6/17/76 Passaic, NJ), we're planning on an equally strong 2019, filled with surprises and excellent playing throughout. Exciting times ahead! Thanks to everyone who's supported the series both from its inception in 2012, to all of the more recent subscribers. We REALLY appreciate the faith you have in us to consistently deliver great Dead shows to your door four times per year with the Dave's Picks series. We work hard on all aspects of our releases to make sure you'll be as thrilled with the finished, delivered CD as we are. Dave's Picks Vol. 29 will likely go down as one of the most well-received Picks in the series, and the show we're considering for Vol. 30 (plus the Bonus Disc!) will be another smashingly wonderful release. As all of the subscription hoopla indicates, there are plenty of benefits to subscribing, not least of which is ensuring you'll definitely receive all four releases in 2019. It's going to be a great year! Thanks again for coming along for the ride; great times ahead!

David Lemieux

October 2018

You just can't get enough! And neither can we. The Dave's Picks Series is summer love, spring, fall, and winter. So in 2019 we're turning up the Dave's Picks production run to 20,000 of each of the four releases. We've said it before and we'll say it again - while this means there will be more to go around, the best advice we have to give is... subscribe. When these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. Hours. No hyperbole here. The only way to avoid disappointment and be guaranteed all four Dave's Picks in 2019 is to subscribe.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2019, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92). EARLY BIRD SUBS WILL END ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 2018 AT 11:59PM.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Pete47

Yes, my Daves Picks arrived two days ago, so hopefully yours will be with you soon, if you haven't got it already. Hope it plays alright..

1977 is a great year-no doubt about that. But to never hear Dark Star again? Harsh.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Can’t say enough about tonight’s DSO show with Wolf. Totally magical and inspiring! Peace.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Pete47

Pete - got mine in Nottingham this Wednesday. Hope yours comes soon,,,

@NAPPYRAGS

Are the Road Trips being re-released or something?

Regarding "All Killer No Filler" that might not be such a bad thing for some 1980s shows where they struggle to find a whole show that is killer, that recent 1983 DAP for instance, well, apart from the Help>Slip>Frank it just doesn't do it for me, sadly. On the other hand, it's nice for us to decide for ourselves what the best bits are and not have it decided for us!

October 1977, I think there is no filler, it's all killer! I'd like to see all these shows come out complete at some point.

Some years are like just opening a treasure chest aren't they, it's all right there in front of you! The 80s is more like prospecting for gold nuggets in a black muddy river... challenging, but extra fun when you do find a treasure! I tend to find a track I love, stick it on my phone and play it to death when I'm out walking or whatever..... got a Space>Other One segment from 1988 on there right now and playing the crap out of it, 1988 is one of those years when i'm sometimes not quite sure what they are trying to achieve... but it's super crunchy and jangly, just put the headphones on turn up the volume and let them whomp on my brain, the fact it's from a less good year makes it all the more precious!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by frankparry

@FRANKPARRY
@DAVEROCK

Thanks for answering guys, panic over, got it on Friday.

June 1976.

Pleasant.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Pete47

Early bird in

Can't wait to hear the Dead in Death Valley

Rhino send out 1970 , 1980 and 1972 show for this year

Feel Like A Stranger
High Time
Lost Sailor -> Saint of Circumstance
He's Gone

RSD APRIL RELEASE ~ Longshoremen's Hall April 24 1966

Box Set - 1984 July

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Pete47

I did see a few of the volumes available...the October '77 one was $19.99 plus tax and S & H came to $26 plus some change...they are also available here, not all of them but the same one's I saw on Amazon...They are sent through Dead.net as an outside market place vendor...as I said I went through Amazon because of the gift card I had rather than order through here....and it rocks by the way!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Yes, they are being re-released by Real Gone Music, they started with the last one and are working their way back with about one being released every 3-4 months, with the '69 Big Rock Pow Wow shows on Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 1 just coming out last month. This means that some of the hard to get, super-expensive ones you might have missed with be available again over the next couple years without paying scalper prices. No bonus discs on the Real Gone releases though.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hi All, I have say that I love the Road Trips series even though I was critical of it when it first came out. I picked up a few of the releases when they first came out and I have son e gone back to get the rest (thanks Real Gone Musuc!) . One thing that wasn't apparent to me until I started to get more of the ones I passed on the first time was how the bonus discs completed some things. For example the Oct. 77 bonus disc, when combined with the material on the discs 1 and 2 it completes the entire 2nd set of 10/16/77. Plus between the bonus disc and disc 1 and 2 there are songs from 10/11/77. Of course 10/11 is the "secret" filler on Dicks Picks 29. Once I discovered this, which I am sure was known to many already, I researched all of the different combinations there are where more than one official release contained material from the same show. To my surprise there are many.

Another part of the Road Trips series that I like is that even though there are still chopped up shows for many of the releases Dave and Co. did a good job of giving us the highlights - although I dont really prefer to use that adjective. For example, on the Fall 79 release, it includes the Terrrapin > Playin from the 2nd set of 11/5 or 6??? I cant recall but it is a Specteum show. Either way that Terrapin > Playin is a monster and it really is the meat if that 2nd set.

Finally the Road Teips series has a good range of years represented. 68, 69, 70, 71, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 82, 88, 90, & 93. Not too bad I think. This series jumped into some years areas not really covered before or since excluding TTATS. The only real downside is that the bonus discs are really great to have. They were tricky to come by initially, and now they are just downright expensive on the secondary market.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

There was a tail light in that f****** box. Still made me redo it. A tail light is part of the motherfuking box, even if it only takes up a little bit of space in the corner of the box.

Love the good Doc and Mary E but they really shot themselves in the foot here
Sales will suffer no doubt. Nobody wants to try to navigate this f****** Rats nest of a site

And I can't even read it on my cell phone. This is really just the pits. Worse than any product issue. They've completely steered people away from spending time on the site

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

it's not like the old days, true.

sometimes "comments" doesn't show up.

I'll take advantage of this opportunity to say:

I used to hate on 8/13/87 and be yawnsville for Alpine 89.

Yesterday 8/13/87 showed its charms to me after I decided to give it oonneeee more chance. even though UJB is waaaaaaaay too short.

and 7/17/89...very nice. Standing on the Moon :)

neither is 5/11/72, but they are good in their own right.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

On this day in 1973 they played a smoking-hot Cumberland Blues. Captured in all of its glory on the brown bomber from 30 Trips.

Yeah this site is definitely difficult to use on a cell phone. I would say for me it's inhibitive, so I don't visit here as much as I used to. I hope this does not impact sales.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I went with the complete Road Trips off iTunes and have been very happy with it. Massive download, but went smoothly, as usual, with Apple. I love the set; that's how I listen to the Dead most of the time anyway a la carte.

After all, it's all the same show really, with multiple intermissions.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

I recently ordered the '79 RT off dead.net, and to my happy surprise it came with the bonus disc. If you missed out on the volume or the bonus disc, it might we worth the chance to grab it from this here website (though I'm sure no guarantees). Gratefulhan - you may be able to get the '77 bonus disc after all.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

How else do you describe the lack of activity here. They took away 2/3 of the message boards we would normally be posting on (I can't post on DaP 28, which is brand new, nor PNW). The robot captcha and street light verifications, the anti-user friendly interface (almost impossible on cell phone).

That awful sounding '83 show. Sales to plummet. Instead of 2 subscriptions this year, I'm buying 0, and I'll download off of YouTube, where Rhino inexplicably let's people upload Dave's Picks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

There is no 30 Days of Dead "thread." I just walked over there, and there's just a couple dudes sitting around smoking and listening to 2/20/71. I posted the first comment just to see if there were any - there aren't. Don't rush over to read what I posted, it's nothing profound.

Yes, comments have been shut off on the two hot boards here that kind of had a pulse... when I left the 30 Days and came back over here, I was forced to log in again, complete the captcha (I'm getting much smoother at those) and now I'm in. But now, I'm leaving, because nothing's really going on.

Hopefully, they're still working on the system, unless they've decided our commentary isn't helping push product. And who could blame them, what with all the endless bitching about defective discs made in Mexico (hey, I agree, that's an issue) and especially that one jerkoff "my booklet was bent."

Ugh. Not only is that kind of rhetoric a downer and a total bore, it should be saved for messages for Dr. Rhino and marye. Doesn't make for an engaging forum, and, those people may have crashed the whole airship.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

No. There just isn't anything to say right now. And...this new site isn't a pleasant place to visit or hang around.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by mhammond12

....I did see yet another amazing gig last week. Wayne Kramer and the so called MC50 playing a celebration of the music of the MC5. Nearly blew the roof off the joint. I haven't felt that energised since I was in my 40s. Wayne Kramer must be in his 70s by now, but he still has the licks and the moves. A truly joyous occasion.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

maybe they wanted to save money and deleted marye's need to be our den mother.

we love you marye.

things change.

I will share a hooray for 12/28/69, and 12/26/69, and 12/30/69, and 12/21/69, and...

onward

and for the love of Moses, I am not a verfluchende robot.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I certainly hope none of you are affected by the Chico area wildfire.

a mindblower of a disaster. :_(

Please let it rain here in western Washington.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In Oakland we've just got bad air that's getting better. Up by the former Paradise it's pretty apocalyptic.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

If Shirdeep's stunt caused this. While it was great for us, the website technology was old and vulnerable. They may have been on cruise control with with security and then ended up in a legal situation when that guy started posting pornography and violent images. Maybe they decided it would be cheaper to build a site that is more secure and less hospitable 2 Message Board traffic.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

the last of the old guard, our savior in more than many a hassle with the powers that be, our monkey in the wrench of all things not kind. First, they root out the old hippies who made this site great, then they dump Blair Jackson for having an opinion that might have been different than what the same powers that be felt needed to be portrayed on this site, then they change the site and make it inhospitable for the masses, now Mary? We love and need you, and we will fight for you. Thank you for all that you do.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Gobble
I still haven't adapted to this new site, but I'm grateful and thankful that it's here. 🦃🎵🎸

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Who said I'm not still here? Happy Thanksgiving, all! Glad we all made it this far, anyway!
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Deadheads out there!
A huge thanks to Dave and the Rhino team for putting out these amazing releases. I've been soaking in the PNW box, just amazing in every way - sound quality, the interconnected musical mind-adventures.....Bird Song, Vancouver '73...there are too many A+ moments to list. This one is going to be hard to top - but I'm betting on Dave and Co to do it !
And when I've had my fill of '73-'74, Dave's 28 NJ 1976 is just a beautiful show, top to bottom. Love it!

I really have enjoyed Dave's Picks 2018.....25, Binghamton '77 is a pretty hot show....Keith's piano tone has that '78 distortion and the band has that energy; 26, Albuquerque/AnnArbor '71 also a pretty damn great set of shows, love me some Cryptical Envelopement!; 27, Boise, well...A Wang Dang Doodle is welcome, funny on this one I don't have such a problem with Brent, but Bobby must have been screaming the night before 'cause his voice is kinda shot on this one, and yes, it is super fast, and yes it is not 72,73, 77,....which brings us to 28, NJ '76 and another beautiful top notch show. So....THANKS DAVE! Keep up the good work!
And so thankful that the fires are out and we finally have some clean air here in Marin. It had been terrible for two+weeks, but even in the worst, we knew we had our loved ones and our homes and others did not. It's hard to absorb Be well - Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

"They gave him 30 years in San Berdino". Frank Zappa (spelling of San Bernadino-sic) Note , this site mysteriously placed this avatar with my name.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Has a great book. Just finished reading. It actually makes the music sound better.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by LedDed

Deal with it. If they would actually remedy them in a timely manner, or when they say they would, it would be less of a problem.

I mean, I would love to comment on how hot/not hot Dave's 28 is/was. But since my disc was defective, I cannot. They said 2-3 weeks, it has been a month. Recent defects for me: 30 Trips (whole thing sent back, waited weeks, second one still poor, gave up); Get Shown the Light, RFK '89, and now this one. And there have been others.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

No, not for 28. I did get replacement discs for PNW, but it seems that either I messed up or Rhino did. I asked for discs 3, 6 and 9 and I got 3, 7 and 10. Go figure. 28 sold out quick and they just don't have replacement discs to issue the faithful, that's my guess anyway. I have had good luck with discs, until PNW and now dave's 28, makes you wonder if the new year will see a change. Maybe after this fiasco they will find another place to get their discs from. Quality control and customer service, not Rhinos strong points. Mary will fix it all anyway. Thanks Mary

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by Trainwrecked

This is akin to putting a message in a bottle and tossing it into the ocean. Here goes....

user picture

Member for

8 years

Has anyone tried to look at their order status on this new site layout? I decided to check it out and I can only see one order (for dave's v.20)... it seems as though all my other orders, including the 2019 Dave's subscription, have been deleted from my account?

I placed the order for the sub as soon as it was announced, and my bank has been dinged for the order as well. I have an order confirmation email and an order number (in the email), but I can't see any info regarding the order on this new site. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Anyboby got any idea what that smashing Dave's Picks 30 is gonna be? 1969? 1972? Or what? Just thinking ...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I thought I read that disc 3 had a skip in the same place for multiple users. Where is it? I don't recall hearing any skips, but I'll go to the exact spot and check it out if one of you kind folks could point me to the right song(s).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks Wilfred T & Icecreamconekid. I've listened to Let it Grow a bunch of times, but not Dancin', will check it out.

Looking forward to finding out what DaP 30 will be......last year they revealed DaP 26 with Bonus Disc on 12/21....should be soon then....

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

...hey keithfan , my Picks 28 skiped on the third disc but also I had a problem on disc one as well. I can’t remember what part, I wrote it down some where I gotta find it...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

For me disc 1 skipped on Promised Land, and disc 3 skipped on Let It Grow.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Could you be more vague on where it skips. Ha, just kidding of course, just thought it was funny you took time to post, but offered no further information that what he already knew. Did you find that piece of paper where you wrote it down yet? I'm curious about disc 1

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

And yet, some people still won’t subscribe, and will then complain when they get shut out.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2019-subscription.html