• 1,356 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    What a setlist!... Made me jealous of those who saw this era live. Great sound… like ‘77 was yesterday. @derekb192 on 10/1/77, YouTube

Wow! Just as when you think eyes is gonna go to drums out of the bliss comes dancing! One of my all time fave moments! Not just classic 77 but classic ever dead! - @emrysdavies1215 on 10/1/77, YouTube

...this show was off the hook from the very get go. The Casey Jones is the best I've heard... beginning a jam that goes through each member going off on an instrumental solo. The end has them jamming so hard you can no longer hear them singing through it. Now you know you're in trouble (The Good Kind) when a show starts like that... Weirtheir on 10/2/77, Dead.net

Holy hell, the 10/2/77 Betty Board sounds incredible... I just wanted to pay homage to this unreleased gem, which features the lovely, tight playing you'd expect of a 77 show with some of the highest audio quality I've ever heard ... What a treat. u/monsteroftheweek13 on 10/2/77, Reddit

I told my mother I was going into Portland with friends. I never told her where I went... @jamesmoore3694 on 10/1/77, YouTube

We know where you've been and we're taking you back with the twice as nice DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 45: PARAMOUNT THEATRE, PORTLAND, OR - 10/1/77 & 10/2/77. Back-to-back complete previously unreleased shows on 4CDs? You betcha! Why? Because we couldn't pick one over the other of these two nights that have been described as "fire," "mind-frying," and "crispy" (bit of a theme here) too many times to count. Witness it for yourself when you dig into the inventive medleys and pristine sound, not to mention the first "Dupree's Diamond Blues" since '69 and the first live "Casey Jones" since '74.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson (with a boost from Bob Menke, more about that in David's video) and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • SPACEBROTHER

By this point in these releases its cool to see another twofer. I'm not familiar with these shows so they'll be fresh to my ears. The next puck with the bonus is always something to look forward to.

Growing as a kid in the 70s I was fortunate to have older siblings who collected records of bands I still listen to as a "gen x" person. The Grateful Dead didn't really come into my orbit until my high school teenage years in the 1980s, but plenty of other bands and musicians like Jeff Beck who really piqued my interest in music. Particularly the Blow By Blow, Wired, With Jan Hammer Live and There and Back. Over the years I've studied and listened to lots of music history and historic events. I'm sure Deadbase lists a few shared bills between The Dead and The Jeff Beck Group from the 60s ( and anybody who witnessed that are lucky and would live to read some stories about those experiences).

Tragic couple of weeks of big losses and Jeff Beck really was the first time in a while that a celebrity death struck a nerve in me. I'm lucky to have seen him a couple times. What a loss. ;(

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Let the fun begin.
    PLAY DEAD
    PLAY DEAD LOUD

• daverock

Not easy though. It seems my password and email no longer go together, so after about 20 minutes, I decided to check in as a guest and order the booty that way. Maybe they are offended because I said I wasn't a Deadhead a few months back, and this is their way of punishing me.

I can remember my record player breaking down in the 1980s, just as I was starting a relationship. It took me about 18 months to get round to getting it fixed. I would spend all my time round her place - no more sitting at home out of my box listening to records. All good things come to and end though, and the relationship ended. I got my record player fixed, and then it was back to sitting at home out of my box listening to records.

• hendrixfreak

Greetings to the good ForensicDoc. Hey pal, I'm on the mend and your line about music filling in the hole when you're missing someone really struck a ... chord here. Thanks for that.

Okay, the DP series must be quite successful as Dave L gets permission, seemingly each year now, to do one four-disc release outside the bonus disc. And so cool to put two Portland shows that drop neatly into that 4-disc bundle.

As much as I look forward to the upcoming '72, a fat serving of brick-smashing fall '77 is gonna land in open arms at this house, especially as late January downright begs for some shack shakin' (of the musical variety but, hey, if can you shake the shack in another domain, GO FOR IT!!)

I looked at The Tapers Compendium last night and it reminded me that I caught the band at Englishtown, 3 Sept '77 and again in Denver, 9 October '77, so a bit of book-ending to the coming release.

Those were the days, eh boys? We had the GD coming around regularly before and after hiatus, and Jer bands coming around thick and fast that for a moment there we (almost) took Jer for granted. Truly a great time to be alive. And I still feel that way.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Sometimes you need to be aware of the bigger picture....

Hey rockers!!

Thread without a post, like a day without sunshine. Orange sunshine, that is.................

We can see loss as something missing, but that missing space can be filled with something else, and that creates healing....

Doc
    People like music when they're in love, but they don't need it as much. You need music when you're missing someone or you're pining for someone or you're forgetting someone or you're trying to process what just happened......

• Mr. Ones

So excited, I cannot WAIT to put this in the ol' cd player!!
    Thanks Dave!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

What a setlist!... Made me jealous of those who saw this era live. Great sound… like ‘77 was yesterday. @derekb192 on 10/1/77, YouTube

Wow! Just as when you think eyes is gonna go to drums out of the bliss comes dancing! One of my all time fave moments! Not just classic 77 but classic ever dead! - @emrysdavies1215 on 10/1/77, YouTube

...this show was off the hook from the very get go. The Casey Jones is the best I've heard... beginning a jam that goes through each member going off on an instrumental solo. The end has them jamming so hard you can no longer hear them singing through it. Now you know you're in trouble (The Good Kind) when a show starts like that... Weirtheir on 10/2/77, Dead.net

Holy hell, the 10/2/77 Betty Board sounds incredible... I just wanted to pay homage to this unreleased gem, which features the lovely, tight playing you'd expect of a 77 show with some of the highest audio quality I've ever heard ... What a treat. u/monsteroftheweek13 on 10/2/77, Reddit

I told my mother I was going into Portland with friends. I never told her where I went... @jamesmoore3694 on 10/1/77, YouTube

We know where you've been and we're taking you back with the twice as nice DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 45: PARAMOUNT THEATRE, PORTLAND, OR - 10/1/77 & 10/2/77. Back-to-back complete previously unreleased shows on 4CDs? You betcha! Why? Because we couldn't pick one over the other of these two nights that have been described as "fire," "mind-frying," and "crispy" (bit of a theme here) too many times to count. Witness it for yourself when you dig into the inventive medleys and pristine sound, not to mention the first "Dupree's Diamond Blues" since '69 and the first live "Casey Jones" since '74.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson (with a boost from Bob Menke, more about that in David's video) and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Chill with lambasting the sound quality of Dave's 45. If you only listen to the first two tracks (Promised Land & They Love Each Other), as Dave himself explains on the Seaside Chat, you're listening to Bob Menke's audience recording. There's no soundboard of those two tracks and Bob kindly provided his tape. Some have said that the Smith/Miller/Clugston aud (140589) on the Archive is a little better than the Menke. In any case, once you get past those two, you're hearing "recently" recovered Betty Boards from the stash of soundboards returned by ABCD Enterprises. The changeover to soundboard actually happens before the end of They Love Each Other. Check out Dave's Seaside Chat for more.

The two shows on Dave's 45's 4 CDs are great sounding once they reach cruising altitude.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I get where you're coming from. My main complaint on sound on many DiPs and DaPs is the drums are too loud. I used to blame Mickey for being involved in the remastering, lol. But to have two shows for the price of one totally outweighs the defects, and frankly that's what the tone controls are for on our stereos. And I also applaud Dave for being brave enough to get us the two shows with an aud. patch at the beginning. Patches are something they don't do very often and only when it's worth it. Especially, these two shows are so worth it. Don't give up on it.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

I remember getting this on cassette in the late 80s and loved both shows even if there was "some" missing. I have listened to this release several times and I love it. My question is: how is this still available? I've noticed the last few Dave's releases have been selling at a slower pace than just a few years ago. Just wondering, maybe the uptick to 25,000 units was a bit much? Anyway, have a safe happy holiday.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-45/081227834586.html