• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • proudfoot

I'll withhold judgement until I hear it in full processed form.

I listened to 11/17/71 over the past few days...it was OK, but no wood.

I hope 11/20/71 remedies that.

(I love ya Dave....1968....1968....1968....1968....1968....)

• viewtiful_alan
    Default Avatar

Per Reddit, Dave's Picks 48 is 11/20/71.

• uncle_tripel

10.22.83: Carrier Dome

Chet Atkins: Almost Alone

11.23.73: El Paso

Howlin' Wolf: The London Sessions

10.23.73: Bloomington, MN

...leave nothing but footprints; yet in a digital world, one man gathers what another man spills...

• uncle_tripel

10.22.83: Carrier Dome

Chet Atkins: Almost Alone

11.23.73: El Paso

Howlin' Wolf: The London Sessions

10.23.73: Bloomington, MN

...leave nothing but footprints; yet in a digital world, one man gathers what another man spills...

• Forensicdoceleven
    The truest wisdom is a resolute determination......

Mornin', rockers!!!

I was able to capture that 1/21/71, anybody who needs/wants, you know where to find me.............

Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man................

Rock on!!!

Doc
    Determination becomes obsession and then it becomes all that matters...............

• billy the kiddd
    Anniversary show 10/9/82. Frost Ampitheatre

41 years ago today I was up at the Frost to see the Dead put on a fantastic show. This was the first time the Dead played at the Frost and it might have been my favorite. This one is a must release, if they ever release any shows from the Frost.

• Vguy72
    If you go to the Hammacher Schlemmer website....

....they offer a 5' animated dancing skeleton for your yard.

• nitecat

Seems to be stuck.

Edit: seems ok now.

• Obeah

It is indeed possible (and quite quick 'n easy) to download the JotW @ForensicDocEleven

However, I cannot seem to post instructions, nor even DM it to you; I tried my level best, removed all l1nks etc but it just kept saying that the site won't allow embeds or lnks and it even flagged me when I tried to send you my emial addr (misspellings deliberate). UPDATE: I finally got a DM sent w/ my contact info

Oro - what a great tape to get practicing on! I love to hear how 12/5/71 has stirred people, their hearts and minds or their souls or their ears or their hands. Or all of it. There's just some powerful magic radiating from that night's efforts. God Bless the Good ol' Grateful Dead

• 1stshow70878

Good choice Cousin! I forgot that had been issued. RGM?
    10-9-76 set 2 with a 10 song jam. And what a jam.
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

8 months

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html