• 1,006 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

R.I.P. rip city Bill! So extra glad now Dave was able to get Bill involved with this pick's liner notes. Especially in the wake of Mr. Walton's passing on to the great beyond.

• pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by docmarty

DocMarty - maybe it's something to do with that video I sent Dave of me on the beach, being pooped on by a seagull.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

Eh!
Getting worried about ya mate?
Hopefully your just hunkered down in your NHL war room and just skipping all the hey now fun?

Leafs hanging in there…

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

If you mention it three times, Thin will magically appear. One if his favorites...

He seems to pop up just one or two times a year these days. I hear he took up telemark skiing..

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....hmmm. Quite the nuisance.
Better not take away my "...."'s
Anyway, Swan Song extended version by King Gizzard.
Give it a shot!
I did! And it kicks ass.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....now, where's Thin At-AT?

I personally love that Eyes of the World, it's much slower in tempo from other '77s and for that reason it stands out tremendously. It was a fantastic pick that had been on my radar forever before it was released.

Thursday in Deadland, and it's gonna be 63 degrees in Boston Today.
It's November 16th.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Have been on the road for a couple weeks, heard 48 discs 1&2 when they landed but have not listened in deadicated fashion to the third disc at home, REALLY looking forward to it this evening. Heard parts of it at a friends house but so much was going on, not focus on the music enough. Regarding 49 and music from 1985, have gotten over a persistent sense of loss felt with the decline of Jerry's voice, which incrementally began back to 1979 in my humble view. Likewise for changes in keyboards and new songs, fundamentally an old fart who was locked into early to mid range shows. Have always appreciated and now enjoy more 80s as its really all we have, right? And yes a farmer once told me sometime in June, it's time to Hay Now.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

We'll see if I can get through the force field . . .

My notes for DaP33 (10/29/77) ask, "Grate-est show EVER?!"

Loving this slow-burn "Saint" from Day Six (12/11/79); lots of space for the guys to mess around a bit, compared to the hyper-speed versions of the early 80s where the guys had to just play their set parts in order to keep up.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Today is Give to the Max Day in MN, and I know that there is Giving Tuesday coming up, so please consider donations to Rex and Internet Archive.

And John Barlow was a driving force behind Electronic Frontier Foundation, who try to keep the Internet in the hands of the people.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

The force field does not allow my usual tagline

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Save Our Site

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I am done posting and purchasing here, both not a fun experience anymore. Happy trails to all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

IMO the filler is the star of the show on this release. Cant wait for the rest of the show to drip out in future releases.

Its high time the powers that be, such as they are, bring this discussion forum into the 20th century. I know its a lot of work and everyone is busy doing good work, but for a band with this much staying power and this many fans, putting out releases 50 years after their high-water mark (give or take), one might think a user friendly forum would help keep the train a rollin.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

I ALSO POSTED THIS IN THE HERE COMES SUNSHINE BOXSET COMMENTS.

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
WMG Specialty Customer Service

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Take the refund and the dwnld

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I agree!
I also hope that it's possible to edit the bits together for DAP when the missing songsare released - I have tried with others and it didn't work!

Ian

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

They cannot get Jay his replacement discs while the whole set is on sale for the holiday sale for $140.23. Hey now on that!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

My copy of the Japanese release arrived this morning just as I was leaving for 10 days! Something to look forward to.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Return the whole thing and get a 100% refund. Totally unacceptable

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Those Rowdy Sprout Dancing Bear Bamboo PJs look pretty sweet!
Maybe you could trade?

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

The good lovin' jam is so sweet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Dave's seven, April 24, 1978
Dave's two, July 31, 1974
Garcia twenty, June 18, 1982
Buddy Miles, Them Changes
Mike Auldridge, Takoma Plus One
Cheers, if this will post

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months 1 week

Heard the 71 show all the way through - (IMO) the weakest Daves so far.. Number 50 better be GOOD... Cheers from Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

That's just wrong.

The righteous thing to do, when a paying customer bought a box set that includes defective discs, would be to replace the whole set. If Warners doesn't have any replacement discs left, that's only because the manufacturing process was so shoddy that they've had unusually high numbers of replacements needed. And whose fault is that? Not the paying customer's.

Like most of what I've written lately, this probably won't post. But the situation ticks me off enough that I had to try. I remember when the Dead's business affairs were conducted by nice people. You could actually call 'em on the phone.

I'm not a robot, dammit!

user picture

Member for

2 years 7 months

My brother has a show from 6pm -9pm tonight. Completely listener sponsored since 1972. You can get it online . 91.5 FM

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Had a little time after the easiest 30 days of dead search ever and had been thinking of Bob songs that didn't make it into the Dead canon like It's So Easy To Slip and found some Kingfish from the Beacon Theatre on April 3, 1976. What a great boogie band! Mystery Train > Mule Skinner Blues to start. And away we go on a Sunday morning.
Cheers
Edit: Robbie Hoddinott on the telecaster, Wow! RIP Robbie

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I'm reading Shakespeare's Twelfth Night to ready myself for my teen sons' high school production of a musical version of the same (one kid does sets/lights/sound, the other plays trumpet in the pit orchestra), and lo, and behold, here's THIS line as a character is sworn to secrecy . . .

When my tongue blabs, then let mine eyes not see.

ANOTHER bard we all know and love wrote, "If I tell another what your own lips told to me, let me lay 'neath the roses and my eyes no longer see"

Just checked the Annotated GD Lyrics book, but David Dodd did not mention this connection.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Deadheadbrewer - I've never noticed that, so thanks for pointing it out. There must be many literary references that Robert Hunter slipped in that have passed us by.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Big Railroad Blues through OMSN to close the first set is absolutely ripping! I'm also enjoying the 1970 offering on disc 3. Great stuff!

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Huh?

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Hey rockers!!

Yes I'm alive and yes I like 1970 Dead.

LOL been trying to post for about 3 weeks now...............

Rock on!

Doc
Because I could not stop for death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves and immortality........

user picture

Member for

8 months

got some time to search my soul

Last five
Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler: Neck and Neck (CD)
Led Zepplin: Prescence (vinyl 1976); Nobody’s Fault but Mine and Tea for One
Oscar Peterson Trio + One Clark Terry (vinyl 1964)
Bob Marley: The Reggae King Box (3 CD Trilogie)
The Miles Davis Quintet: Workin’ recorded in 1956 by Rudy Van Gelder (CD)

Completed the 7/13/85 Ventura, late set 2 had some tech issues, you can hear one of them saying it’s the bass. Moved on to 11/21/85 Set1 Kaiser last night, bit of an echo on the vocals, like that Rooster though.
Now back to Spring Tour, and will be doing a first time listen to 3/25/85 Springfield.

Peace All
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

8 months

...yeah, curious how Big Iron (marty robbins) didn't get into the rotation at some point

Oh, he might have went on living but he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Big Iron might have paired well with the other polka time tunes like Me & My Uncle.

Marye has said she will pass on to the powers that be the hey now issues so maybe we can get back to normal.

Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Still hey now'd. Ironically - me telling you will probably get through. Whereas the one on the music didn't.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Out tomorrow on vinyl! And I like Kingfish!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Brings to mind The Blues Bros.
"We have both kinds of music here, country and western"
Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 7 months

Killer band when Torbert, & Hoddinot were playing in the band. Saw them play several times.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Arrow- Heartless Bastards
Home Cookin'- Jimmy Smith
For Your Pleasure- Roxy Music
Made In Japan- Deep Purple
Into Somethin'- Larry Young

Most recent live listen (as I type this)- Phish, November 19, 1997; their playing from this tour fits together like superfection blocks.

Most recent GD listen: DaP 26, November 17, 1971, Albuquerque; that PITB is an all time favorite.

user picture

Member for

2 years 7 months

3 fantastic Grateful Dead songs that the Dead didn't play enough times, 1). Golden Road, only played 3×, 2) Operator, only played 4×, 3)Rosemary, only played 1×. I wish that they would have brought Rosemary back for those 1980 acoustic Warfield shows. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.
, ,

With avian tryptophan wearing off as an old fanboy forever since the summer of love, disc 3 of 48 checked boxes for me , Couldn't take a chance missing out on March 2, 1969 Record Store Day release. Had to drive some distance to a store which was only allocated three copies... managed to get there in time. Since this is last installment, who knows if the secondary market will be cruel, why take a chance. I was told, no advance orders, no holds, one per customer and most amazing, no returns. Guess they knew what a sitting duck looks like... Interested to read others experiences with this release. PS, I had to edit twice and go through about six captures.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Test

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Also scored myself a copy of 3-2-69.
It says Plangent Process just like the other 3.
The CD’s don’t say Plangent.

I now have the whole Box in Plangentized vinyl.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html