• 1,006 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

R.I.P. rip city Bill! So extra glad now Dave was able to get Bill involved with this pick's liner notes. Especially in the wake of Mr. Walton's passing on to the great beyond.

• pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

also got the pure jerry 2/28/86,,,, they didn't have "So What",,, will try a different store later

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm on my way through E72.
What a great show, unbelievable, the energy and joy the band puts out. Absolutely fantastic!!!! Love it very, very much. Last song, UJB, just started. Great!!!
Have a good one,
Cheers, G.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

I'm so glad to hear folks on here are getting their hands on 3/2/69. These shows are ALWAYS in fashion.

@DMCVT that's the calculation I'd make too: why take a chance on the resale market if this is something you know you want? Might as well grab it now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

....where are you finding this?
In stores. Nevermind. I'm at work :(

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

GD 03/02/1969 to complete the LP series

The Doors Live in Bakersfield 08/21/1970

13th Floor Elevators-Bull of the Woods

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

Hey Vguy, must have been fun, those midnight races through town. Check fleabay as some secondary sellers and a few shops apparently breaking protocol have put copies up. Expect to pay around $150 and up right now. Bull Moose had the lowest price I could find, for an in person purchase experience, believe after a week or so, more shops will put them on line. 9000 copies, should be available for a while

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Wasn't there a recent Dave's that had Mickey's beam in the Drumz? I want to do a speaker test.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....3.2.69 in hand.
I need to leave. Now. Place is dangerous lol.
Ooooh. Phish LP on LP 4.
Ok. Now I'm leaving.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

My copy sounded spectacular!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I also got "The Memphis Blues Box" from Bear Family delivered this week. 20 cds and one of the best and most beautiful books on music I have ever seen.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Struck out at two different stores trying to get 3/2/69, broke down and paid $155 for one on the Bay. What can I say? Hadda have it, especially since I already got the other three volumes in that run.

RSD still not a total loss, since I bagged a copy of the live Gram Parsons double lp. Which is pretty pretty good.

Hope this posts. Getting kind of pissed off lately by the random nature of what and will not post around here.

Dennis-it looks even better than it's description and weighs about as much as a baby elephant. I've been soaking up the sounds of 1928 today - with a nod to The Dead via the Cannon's Jug Stompers "Minglewood Blues".

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Mine was $125 at a local brick and mortar.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

If I recall correctly, this is what I paid, all at a local brick and mortar:

2/27 80 or 85
2/28 90
3/1 75
3/2 125

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Many shops are boarded up now in Lowestoft, and it's many years since there has been an actual record shop here. Apart from a small second hand one that sells mainly jazz . But record shops generally sell RSD releases online the day after they go on sale on location-and this is when I scoop up what I want.

When 2/27/69 came out, I bought a copy to help out the local brick-and-mortar store. Back then, RSD seemed to be worthwhile. Not sure I can say that anymore. Long lines and no inventory. Dozens of copies are available online almost immediately. So, I don’t even bother going anymore. Paid $125 to complete my FW69 vinyl collection.

VGuy, you should definitely be able to find 2/28 for a good price and 3/1 is available for about 55 bucks at some places right now (only 3LP). 2/27 sold out at the time, and has been fairly scarce ever since. 2/28 is widely available and in at least two different boxes of differing dimensions, one being very thick, the other about the size of 2/27. Just search for them, they're great prices right now, while the shiny new nickel, 3/2 is fetching a pretty penny. Snagged one for $119 that went to $135 with tax, s&h. Was unable to get to a store, and saw that was about the going rate, so, okay with that. Now have the cd box with bonus thanks to a trade here, and will have the set on vinyl. Excited for Plangent and vinyl sound for that first LP particularly. That Eleven features some unbelievable Phil and Jerry interweaving, as the whole run did. For The Eleven I'd go 2/28, 3/2, 3/1, 2/27. 3/2 is sort of the afterthought show, to me, but they still had a lot of gas left in the tank.

Was listening to 4/25/77 yesterday, and remembered I still need to get that vinyl, and also made me wonder if any other 30 Trips shows will be released on vinyl. 10/20/68 would be very welcome.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....I'm in.
The Eleven is one of my favorite songs by the band.
3.2 is the only five vinyl of the four, correct?

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by Vguy72

And, like 3/2, it has it all. Dark Star on its own lp, TIFTOO on its own, St Stephen> The Eleven on one, Lovelight on one. Dew and Caution and Bid You Goodnight. The Eleven on 2/27 Phil is all over it, but Jerry not so much. The next night, they're both killing it. Like you, one of my favorite songs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Death Don't. Morning Dew.
I moved the needle back to the beginning. Twice.
That's some good shit.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Got the RSD here in Nottingham for £139 - always liked 2/27 CD best since it had the uninterrupted Mountains -Dark Star transition but this 3/2 vinyl pressing is just about perfect

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by frankparry

I paid £139-99 for mine form Rough Trade. It hasn't been despatched yet, though. I have high hopes.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by Dennis

Jesus Christ, they sent an email at 1 09 in the pm that Rift is in stock. I click and in three minutes, it was sold out. Another email just came in, and they had Billy Breathes among other albums on vinyl. Was able to put Billy in my cart, but couldn't check out before it said they didn't have anymore. I just don't wanna pay 400 bucks for an album on vinyl. Why can't they press 10,000? They obviously will sell them.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I got Junta, Picture Of Nectar, Hoist & BILLY BREATHES!!
It was touch and go though. The spinning wheel of anxiety was in full bloom.
I already have Rift.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Have any Canadians received their copy of Dave's 48 yet? The Picks usually take their sweet time getting here, but it's been over a month and I'm terribly antsy. And I find that dropping in to complain about the lazy river of international post is the best way to make Dave magically appear in my mail box...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

Lyceum 72 at my house

Woo hoo

Hope the pressing is as good as my copy of 3-2-69

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Just listening to WD Port Chester 2/21/71. I would have loved to have seen pig playing this show. Any show, actually.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

The gift the keeps on giving.

When I need a pick me up, I reach for one of these of these shows.

user picture

Member for

7 months 3 weeks

So don't ask me..
Hank, why do you drink?
Hank, why do roll smoke?..

Back after some Thanksgiving family time, and several days of prepping while continuing the ’85 fun. So Springfield 3/25/85 while the boys are getting ready for Set 2 someone in the band says “what is it?” then we get teased with lost sailor, and then terrapin, and, yes, help on the way! Next was Richmond 11/1/85, have to say it’s been a couple of years since I’ve listened to this Dicks Picks, but I think I know why Mr. Latvala chose it for release. Then I was off to 9/3/85 Kansas City, once again, no complaints:) ...Well, I can buzz better, baby; When yo' man is gone.

Last 5 non-Dead:
Johnny Cash: Live Folsom Prison (1968 vinyl)
Hank Williams, Jr.: Family Tradition (1979 vinyl)
The Who: The Who by Numbers (1975 vinyl) Nicky Hopkins on Piano
Chet Baker & Art Pepper: The Route, Live at LA Forum 1956 (CD)
Kingfish: Kingfish (1973-1980) Relix Release (1985 vinyl) tribute album to Dave Torbert

..Try to put yourself in my unique position
If I get stoned and sing all night long
It's a family tradition:)
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I don't know how Ph announces their limited vinyl, but I've never gotten an email about it and am on their subscriber list. Hell man, the last two times Ph put up limited vinyl, I read about it here from Vguy and went directly to their site in time. Put Billy Breathes and Hoist in my cart immediately yesterday, checked out, came back 30 minutes later, all 6 releases sold out. So, thanks Vguy!

....follow them on Instagram. That how I find out.
A lot of social media is crap, but not all.
Oh. And you're welcome.
Oh again. Shipping notice received and hour ago for the ones I was able to snag.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

this very day I and a group of intrepid travelers were at the second of two shows in a row in Florida, finishing the road trip in Gainesville for the Gators homecoming game and the one and only Grateful Dead as the headliners. What a ride. These were my second and third shows of 1980, having seen the guys up in Atlanta at the Fox in April. Would do it all again in a nanosecond.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

The more I listen to 71 Dead, the more I love 71 Dead. Disc 2 smokes.

Precise. Clean. Cool.

Yea, Doc.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I thought about refraining from this.. but what the hey

RIP to one of the older dead heads out there and an early taper extraordinaire. You might remember him from his cameo in Dead Ahead telling us of the first time he met Jerry, then got busted by Tom Davis for having a tape recorder taped to his torso underneath his suit and tie.

Of course I am referring to Dr. Kissinger, 'Meeting Jerry was a great experience, the only thing I can compare it to was the time I met Mao. I don't agree with all of Jerry's Philosophies but he is certainly an American heavyweight, as am I'

No disrespect meant. Keep taping Henry

Edit - for what it's worth, I was flying from DC to NYC one fateful morning and was magically upgraded to first class. None other than the real Henry Kissinger was seated right next to me. After a brief hello, for the next 50 minutes not a word was spoken. It was surreal and strange.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....Phish is coming to The Sphere. 4.18-21.24. Just announced.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I found it surprising that the first couple of obits I saw last night failed to mention Kissinger being the voice model for Peter Sellers's masterful performance as the maniacal Dr Strangelove. I've always been fascinated by his immense celebrity as an intellectual that predated his roles in the Nixon and Ford administrations, such that Peter Sellers and Stanley Kubrick knew that the joke voice would not be lost on the audience, even in 1964. He has an important place in world history, that's for sure. But, he is the man most responsible for the continuation of the Vietnam War, because Lyndon Johnson gave up the presidency to try peace talks to end the war before he left office. Nixon was the one with the "Secret Plan to end the war" that was just a lie, but he had Kissinger actively sabotage the peace talks, promising the North Vietnamese that Nixon would offer a better deal. That is simply deplorable and treasonous. It cost another 30,000 soldiers their lives for nothing. And they expanded the war secretly and illegally. The fact he got a Nobel Peace Prize was absurd. It was crazy to read plaudits coming in from dictators and democratically elected leaders alike. I noticed that only one of the dozens of comments I read was anywhere close to positive, and it had 30 down votes.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

This one arrived today - great in every way. I like the way that at this stage in their career they often dispensed with the first set, opting to play two second sets instead.

....for best seats available. $138 after fees for the upper two sections. Lottery is up now until the 11th. Tix go on sale to general public on the 15th. I put in for Friday & Saturday. 🫰
Not bad, seeing as how U2 tix are going for a minimum $400.

I did not know the Strangelove voice piece, but I knew the rest.

The things you learn here. Like I said, I almost didn't post this here, but Franken did just a good parody on Dead Ahead, I decided why not.. and look what I learned.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I never bought a record by him, or saw him live, but his heart always seemed to be in the right place. Hugely important in the resurgence and continuation of interest in Irish folk music. Great documentary about him called "Crock of Gold" which is worth checking out.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html