• 1,006 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

R.I.P. rip city Bill! So extra glad now Dave was able to get Bill involved with this pick's liner notes. Especially in the wake of Mr. Walton's passing on to the great beyond.

• pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

8 years

One of my favorite new year’s show shows,
1979 ‘ Oakland! Opens with ‘jack Straw, then ‘Franklin’s tower’ >>into the classic ‘Mama Tried’! Love it!
A grateful ‘Looks Like Rain’ >>Alabama Geraway’ >>’Promised Land’ too! A whole lotta love about this performance! John Cippolina sits in as well!
Long live 1979! Dead

user picture

Member for

8 years

…We need a 1979’ Boxset! It’s been fermenting long enough! Pop the cork ;)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

did anyone else download them?

Seem to be problems this year,,,, I only got 29 of them,,,, did anyone get all 31?

lets see if this works.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I've been trying to use a new picture for me. Caught in a deadly password no good reset it.

thoughts?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

PF's team has the bragging rights.
Cheers

Red Rocks '79, Brent brings it!

user picture

Member for

17 years

Send me a PM and we'll see if we can unsnarl this...
user picture

Member for

8 years

Would love to read everyone’s favorite/most wanted list of there their top 10’ Unreleased 1979 performances to make a boxset, more likely 7-9 shows to complete the Boxset. Oh Boy! 1979 Boxset is a stepping stone for the band! It should be celebrated! 1979! Love it!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

8/4
8/5
8/12
8/13
4/22
May dates
January dates
Autumn dates
New Year's run
2/17 and other February dates
6/28
September dates

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

First, will it ever happen?
Would love to see two great runs:
8/31-Glen Falls
9/1-Hollendar
9/2-Augusta
9/4-9/6- MSG

10/28-Second show at Cape Cod
10/31-11/2-Nassau
11/4-Providence
11/5-Spectrum. You could throw in 11/6 as well. Part of it was included in RT 1.1.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

'79 would be a strong choice for the next box. The best shows from that year tend to rock out quite successfully. I'll always like the spacier, more exploratory eras of the Dead, but in '79 they seemed more wont to jut git down, and I can dig that too.

Still holding out for the Berkeley Greek box. Kind of surprised it hasn't happened already. Whatsa problem, Dave? Too obvious?

Either they are saving those for some big event or they just ain't in the vault.

If it's the former, WE AIN'T GETTING YOUNGER.

in 2023, I lost a friend, my mother in law, my father, almost my dog, a friend got a brain tumor, and a coworker got diagnosed with lymphoma.

My message? MORTALITY IS REAL. Please release some Greeks, please.

user picture

Member for

8 years

…I truly believe it’s a Grateful Idea! It’s missing in our lists of released a lot of primo performance’s mentioned, I Love it! Especially the August Concerts after Jerry’s Birthday! 4th & 5th and the rest of ProudFoot picks are “what dreams are made of!” We are Due if you look back over the evolution of box set releases that started with 1969 and they continued forward to 1978. Did a skip and a jump around a few decades & now I would really Love to have 1979 kick start back the unfolding of the Dead’s ears! Is a plethora of golden apples for 1979. So I chant 1979 Stay Live ! They can’t go wrong. All their major series started with 1979 performances when they started to release recorded performances let’s have a box set to celebrate that’s what I say captain! All aboard my brother and sisters ! Ship of Sales and imean “sales “ lol quick sell out in my opinion! Spinning the 1979 RSD release right now! Beautiful, just beautiful all around!
Would welcome the Greeks performances as well.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

May 11, 1979 - Billerica Forum, Billerica, MA

Totally obscure, they only played there once, it's right in my backyard, killer setlist. This one has been mentioned before and I just like the fact that it was a one and done but it was gooooood. Let's turn over some stones here Dave and give the peeps what they want with some 1979 GD.

Happiest 2024 to All Youz Freaks out there.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I've noticed over the last few days that when people are pressing the number "6", the number "7" is being printed instead. Least I think that is what's happening.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

“Oh shit man I’m getting ready to release another boxfull of ’77 and everybody wants ’79!!!”

As if.

It seems pretty evident they’re not looking at the discussions here when they plan these archival releases. If they were, everything ’69 would be released now. Not to mention the long-discussed Greek box.

(My recollection is that a bunch of Greek shows were broadcast on radio at the time, so there has to be some good quality tapes somewhere. I remember having cassettes that people made from the radio. Wish I still had 'em.)

You know, on the one hand I feel sure that, in the fullness of time, they will release Every Last Thing we’ve been waiting for, and then some. But, like Proudfoot sez, those of us who are the paying audience for this stuff are scheduled to be leaving the Earthly plane of existence in relatively short order.

Death don't have no mercy, That ain't no joke.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

OSF is going to release 4/25/81 , a benefit called Sing out for Sight. Garcia, Weir, Hart, Kreutztman, and Kahn do an acoustic set. Country Joe , Kate Wolf and others are on the recording. It was at the BCT, my brother and I were there, it was a blast. Not sure of the release date.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I have most, if not all, unreleased 79 SBD’s on a hard drive.
But I haven’t listened to all of them yet, although eventually I will.
12-1-79 should be the next 79 release when it is time for another 79 to be released (only because I had it on cassette back in the day and am biased).
But I don’t need a 79 Box now, there is other stuff that should come out first.
Definitely need a 91 Bruce Box before a 79 Box.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I hope it's one that doesn't give me wood so I can save some money and some shelf space.

I doubt a 79 box is in the grand plans, anyway.

I bet the next one will be post-86.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, on to disc three of 1/10/79!

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Just feel like banging the drum for this one again. Definitely a prime contender for a Dave's as it wouldn't make sense as part of a box, unless it was a multi year at Roosevelt Stadium. But DaP 46's Bonus has part of the 9/19/72 show, but if 7/18/72 exists in the Vault, that would pair well with the two '73 shows, and maybe bonus material from the remainder of the 9/19/72 and 8/6/74 shows released partially. But really, I just want that '76 show officially released. Still think it's the best of that year.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Someday, but not yet…

First I’d take: in order…
First six of 73!!!
Primal 66-70 big box!
Fall 89 multis
Summer 85
Fall 91
Spring 78
79 ?
Other spring or fall 73
Summer 76

Of course there’s so many “venue” boxes that could be done too…

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In my opinion the best Greek run was the 1981, which unfortunately is not in the vault.
8-4-76 should be released, there's a great Youtube of the whole show.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Would be a good companion show with 8/4

79 skeptics...come to the Dark Star side.

;)))

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

There were only 2 Dark Stars in 1979.
Try 8-12-79. You'll like it.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Is an old buddy

In Nappylandia...today La Señora Nappy and I welcomed two four month old kittens into our household...Sisters...one is coal black and her name is "Pookah"...her sister is Siamese-ish coloring with a slight black moustache...and in honoring that we named her Stasha...Weee!

I would throw in some 74 in there OB. You know the run I am referring to. Site won't let me post about it.

Don't forget 1980. Those Oakland shows would be fun.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sports is (usually) a bitch

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

You cannot post here anymore.. any and all content is heynowed.

Rhino, you need to fire your central scrutinizer.. now. This place really sucks ever since your crack AI team started smoking too much crack.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Post three words without getting heynowed.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Because I had something really good to say.. about GD music and culture.. but their crack IT team heynowed me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

that do not get heynowed. But still convey the message that this place really sucks. and Rhino is ill managed. So only negativity can get through. When the original thing I wrote sixteen times that was full of positive vibes and carried a positive marketing message was blocked.

At letting crappy negative vibes flow through. That do not seem to get heynowed.

Which just makes this place sucky suck suck even more.

Why don't you just fire that hey now ahole.. that put in play this piece of code.. that will end up costing you lots and lots of money in lost sales.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Gonna Miss Us When We're Gone

I think we should all continue to post meaningless tripe here until they fix this crap.

I mean.. write stuff we would never write or never mean. And give a new meaning to Hey Now.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Their lips are moving but nothing's coming out. Just type crap, endless crap until they fix this problem. Because anything good that we type gets rejected. They know they have a problem and they seemingly plan to do nothing to fix it.

I filled up a whole page without getting heynowed

None of it good. Now fix this deadnet so we can get back to being not quite normal but at least being ourselves.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

How you seem more likely to get hey now'd if you are on topic than off.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Slowly driving everyone away.
It may be intentional.
If not, then why hasn’t it been fixed?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html