• 1,006 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

R.I.P. rip city Bill! So extra glad now Dave was able to get Bill involved with this pick's liner notes. Especially in the wake of Mr. Walton's passing on to the great beyond.

• pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

Good question, daverock. And a poser, as you Brits might say, when it comes to the Dead. Some of their best songs are clearly defined in the studio, such as Ripple and Box of Rain, which you mention. Others, Jack Straw, Bertha, Sugaree, Playing in the Band, The Eleven, Loser, He's Gone, or poor old August West, the Wharf Rat, never got laid down in a studio for a Dead album (two of those made it on solo records, one with the whole band, but don't count, and that one would not be defined or confined by a studio rendition). Black Peter is not a favorite of mine at all, but I can tell you my two favorite versions are 6-23-74 DaP 34 and 10-29-77 DaP 33. I had a list of other favorite live versions, but was Hey Now'd.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Playing 11-18-72
China Cat Rider 6-26-74 DiP 12, my first time hearing the pairing on a Dick's Picks sampler, thought they'd all have the intro jam
Scarlet Fire 5-8-77 my first tape, so that's how it "should be" to me
He's Gone 11-18-72, with 11-17-72 my number 2
Loose Lucy 6-9-73 Dick Latvala made special note of this on his notes on the show based on Kidd's thoughts!
Jack Straw 8-27-72 those Phil slides
Sugaree 5-28-72
Weather Report Suite 6-28-74 DiP 12 is magnificent
Ship of Fools 6-23-74 all about intro Jams
That's It For The Other One 3-1-69 "The American version of the Japanese film The Magnificent Seven..." yowza!
The Eleven 3-2-69 (if you know better, please tell me)
Here Comes Sunshine 12-19-73 leadoff home run by Dick

Edited to add: largely agree on those other two you mention, daverock Attics and Brokedown, but I will say that the Brokedown that emanates from the smoking crater of The Other One from 11-17-72 is just gorgeous and moving. That whole sequence from the He's Gone on is astounding.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

I'll take live every time

AB does have a bundle of studio gems, fo' sho'

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Is there any significance to the number sequence in your avatar?

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Can't post anything, Hey Now. Won't let me add through edits. Still trying, can't post

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It's a big thing in the show Lost, where the (really obscure) character name Alvar Hanso comes from. And he's a person, among several on the show (and in its mysterious background offscreen) who ruminate on those numbers. Don't wanna reveal too much and spoil anything. The last number in the sequence, 42, was chosen as an homage to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which posits that 42 is the answer to the meaning of the universe, life, and everything. Lost, in its way, tried to answer the question of meaning as well, in a far less humorous way, but just as entertaining and engrossing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....acceptable.
Except Cumberland Blues isnt on it. Swap out Casey Jones for it and put Cumberland at around #15.
Casey Jones is overrated. Sorry not sorry.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Alvarhanso - some of the versions strike a chord, - China Cat-Rider from 6/26/74 is a clear pinnacle, as is everything on 1/3/69 , 5/8/77's Scarlet-Fire - but some don't ring any bells. A useful guide for some exploring.

I've always thought Casey Jones was a bit of a tiddler.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Casey Jones, personally either. Don't know why. And it's funny I can have favorite versions of songs I don't care as much about, like Black Peter or Loose Lucy (bc they stand out as so much better, perhaps), but cannot decide on others. Some more random favorites:
So Many Roads 10-1-94 30 Trips Boston, with Jerry giving his all on the vocals
Greatest Story Ever Told 8-27-72 the Wah and Donna are just about perfect on this fiery version
Tennessee Jed 5-21-77 DiP 29 only one of the era I know of with Jerry doing the solo on evelope filter right after a pair of Jacks (a Roe and Straw)
Cumberland Blues 11-17-72 not sure about favorite, but way up there, love how Phil is rarin' to go and start the set (saw him do just that with Phil and Friends with Cumberland in 2006)
Terrapin 2-26-77 somehow hard to top that first one
Comes a Time 7-17-76 DaP 18 16 min, we shall see if 5-4-77 on 50th Bonus will compare
Crazy Fingers 6-14-76 my favorite show from that June '76 box
Bird Song 3-29-90 as much as I love 6-22-73, 11-17-72, and some others, that wonderful sax of Branford is so sweet and ethereal and pushes Jerry, Phil, and company to ever greater heights

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Had to go to DiP 29 5-21-77 just to see what envelope filter sounds like, lol. What a great release. Six CDs of bliss. Two full shows plus extra. I like this format!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Did Y’all forget?? We already decided you need 2 lists: one live & one studio.

Silly rabbits.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

And it pretty much stopped at those 4: Ripple, Box of Rain, Attics of My Life, and Brokedown Palace. Pretty fair list, and comprehensive, as I can't think of any other Dead songs where I prefer the studio track. High Time on Workingman's is close, but there are some much better live ones. There are a few tracks where it's choosing the lesser of evils, such as Money, Money or Let Me Sing Your Blues Away.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

It appears as though you and I have very similar taste. I 100% concur with your nominations of China Cat>Rider, S>F, Terrapin, So Many Roads, HCS, and your spot on analysis of Bird Song. My preference for The Other One is 5/3/72.

For H>S>F I would go with either 5/9/77 or 5/22/77. I realize that many folks would go with 8/13/75 (One From the Vault). But to me, if you take out the introduction, it doesn’t hold up to the other two.

Other personal favorites include:

Peggy-O 5/7/77

She Belongs to Me 11/8/85

Truckin 5/26/72 or 5/19/74

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

For many years I've thought of 6/9/77 as being my favourite H-S-F. Similarly, the version of The Other One that first comes to mind as a classic is the one from 5/2/70 at Binghampton.
Possibly because of the box set, apart from 5/26/72, I can't distinguish individual shows from the European tour so easily, in my memory, after I have played them.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I concur with your personal favorite of She Belongs to Me 11/8/85, but I'm biased since I was there in Rachacha.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months 1 week

About when will the "Mars Hotel Shop" be rolled out.. ?

user picture

Member for

11 months

The 4/30/77 Scarlet>Fire is funkier with more envelope filter than the 5/8/77 version. Not necessarily “better” but more to my liking. IMHO, the studio version of Estimated Prophet is really good. Again, not necessarily “better” than some live versions with improv jams but always listenable and well done.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by VirgoHead

Have not be able to post due to hey now, trying again, cant keyboard much, thumb in a brace. Nominate Unbroken Chain for studio is better... though it was epic when finally played live. Wow, it went through, here's some earlier text to try again. Lost became so mysterious, will have to go back and check it out. Jack Kerouac wrote about The Dharma Bums, maybe that explains it.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Magisterial studio cut, decent song live when finally played, as you said dmcvt. I've seen Phil do it a few times, and they've been magnificent and jammed out.

It's cool some of us love exactly the same flavors, some like it spiced just a bit differently. :)

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by musicnow

I was there as well. That’s why it’s a personal fave. I tried to leave attendance bias off my list, but that one I couldn’t.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....aka Boxilla.
Realized it's been a minute since I've listened 🎶 to the Providence '78 offering within.
Let's see what up, shall we?
Half-Step opener it is. Bodes well.
The scroll begs to be framed.
I'll get to it eventually.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by Danehead

Yes...50 years ago

Redo with a show? How about it Dave??

user picture

Member for

8 months

was COOL going into commercial break of the Steelers - Bills game, looked at the wife, and she said was that GD, big grins all around our family room

Peace All!

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

We should be getting a seaside chat soon.

And than bring on the box news!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I turned on the dusty old wireless this morning to a lovely 10-21-71 Dark Star. Highly recommend it with a good coffee. Not quite the rumble of Phil’s hand heard in other versions, but definitely exactly the right tune to start the day. Having just received 48 this week (the first one is MIA), I’ll delve into more 1971 this weekend.

AJS - Jack, what do you think of #98 on the CBH? The real deal, IMHO. Have you ordered the home jersey yet?

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

What could be better than spending Wed & Thur Listening to 10 hours, 32 minutes and 21 seconds of "highlights" from the last 4 years of "30 Days of Dead"??

Not much, that's for sure.

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I my past experience, Half step openers are the tops, and the entire show usually smokes. Dig it been listening to some 78 myself lately, Jer was so alive back then, on top of it, all over it, in and out, up and down, round and round, so good, loved the hippy look too.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Totally agree! That "Half Step" opener on Dave's 37 really smokes, as does the entire William & Mary show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Mike,

This censorship BS blows. I am not allowed to post my response.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Jack, I totally get it. The site’s gone wild here, it’s crazy. One of the best forums out there dragged down by the Technological singularity. I’ll watch for your response in the meantime, if you get through, because I’ve been wondering your thoughts on #98, and all thinks ice!

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Luv luv luv reading about all youse guys fave shows and songs. Keep 'em coming!

Hate hate hate the Hey Now Problem. It's almost like they're trying to fill off this forum. Have tried to post some of my own faves, but keep getting Hey Now'd. We'll see what happens with this post.

I'm not a robot!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Keep getting the dreaded Hey Now.
Make it stop!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

See Recents, f ree s tuff category.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Good bye old friend 71!
Tanks for the goodness!
Onward!

Howdy Mike!
You and AJS would be proud at how much “best game in the land” I’ve been up to this year! Key, watch with sound down, tunes up!
Good season so far🤞

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....good lineup coming to the Brooklyn Bowl. Cumbia Rave tomorrow. $17. Los Lobos would approve. Keller Williams on the 25th. Got tix for that. $30. Pink Talking Fish on the 28th. $25. Probably gonna pull the trigger on that one.
And Lettuce Feb 1st. $30.
Looks nice.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

….Daves Picks #31 was a 79’ performance & the cover artwork was a dragon. The Chinese New Year 2024 will fall on Saturday, February 10th, 2024, starting the year of the Dragon. I’m hoping the next Boxset is “chasing the dragon” of 1979 Grateful Dead’s magic!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 7 months

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

user picture

Member for

8 months

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html