• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

KEITHFAN
The announcement was hidden in the video.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I just subscribed for Dave's Picks 2020. I can't wait, had to do it right away. I am really excited for Vol 33 10/29/77. I had it on tape back in the day and I haven't listened to it in at least a decade or more.

If anyone who complained about getting shut out of Vol 32 are reading this, now is the time. The subscription is up , go and get it. Even with the increase to 22K , these will all still sell out fast.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

10-29-77 is in the announcement at the top of the page.

Last year, and maybe before that too, the second release was also announced, but I think that it was announced just before the subscription window closed.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Can't wait.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

No not Butch Trucks. "Butch" Defeo, guy who inspired the Amityville Horror. Will leave it at that. I did a paper on him in criminal psychology and got obsessed. I should really change it.

I guess you're right, nothing from LMG. I guess he'll post it once it arrives in his mailbox today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Good vibes fellas just the good ones I have a delivery scheduled for 10:30 a.m. except I'll be at work all day. Starting to feel a little queasy. Think I might have a little bit of a headache coming on. May need to go home early today...

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Is this thing on?

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

I am so glad I am not a robot anymore. Been trying forever to figure out how to join the group. Been a fly on the wall for a long time and have enjoyed the conversations. Just never got to add anything. Doubt if I can add anything intelligent but it's at least nice to know I can try.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Something's definitely not right. I've informed the tech folks. Sorry for the trouble.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Got my shipping notice this morning. Psyched for this one. The Winterland box set really opened my ears to '73, a year I didn't previously pay much attention to. (I was young -- the tapes sounded "old". Live and learn). They've since become some of my favorite shows.

Now if the Giants box set would only find its way into my mailbox...

This is a fine sounding show that I’d love to have as an official release. The unofficial cd available in the UK sounds good to my ears.

The advice on the DaP 2020 page is to turn off the WiFi on your phone and then you will be able to place an order.

I just placed one in the cart using a Mac with Safari, but didn’t complete the purchase.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

That's an old memory butch. I also became obsessed with the amityville murders. He tried to blame it on LSD at one point. You are correct on the not hearing back on the Dap32 time question. All lies. Also he never tells the limited ed.# which is a clue.-----I'm in in 2020 sub.. peace

A nice little anniversary show, will certainly see the light of Norman one day. Did someone mention Fall '73.

10/30/73
Kiel Auditorium - St. Louis, MO
Set 1:
Here Comes Sunshine
Me And My Uncle
Ramble On Rose
Looks Like Rain
Deal
Mexicali Blues
They Love Each Other
El Paso
Row Jimmy
Jack Straw
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Playin' In The Band

Set 2:
Mississippi Half-Step
Big River
Dark Star
Stella Blue
Eyes Of The World
WRS Prelude
WRS Part 1
Let It Grow
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Johnny B. Goode
Encore:
One More Saturday Night

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Might have to check that one out Jim. I’m a sucker for a WRS this time a year!

Yes indeed....Think we all know now...the wolf’s not only dire....he’s also a liar!

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Shipping notification landed today. Delivery by next Tuesday 😢.

I am sure this had been covered before, so my apologies for not remembering, but happened with Blair Jackson?

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I have been wondering that for a long time. He disappeared from here in 2011 when either he ended his writing relationship with Rhino or they pulled the plug on Blair's Golden Road and other contributions on official releases. I don't recall him writing for any of the 30 trips shows or anything else since? Has anyone else noticed something I missed??

His Golden Road blogs are still here at dead.net, albeit a bit hidden.
https://www.dead.net/tags/blair-jackson

Note that his absence corresponds with the low point in sales for archival releases (the Road Trips rock bottom). This came about half-way through their $10M ten year contract with the band for release rights from vault recordings initiated in 2006. It also corresponds with a turning point in releases, clearly focused on stimulating more demand and most certainly trimming costs. They opted for letting out bigger box sets (E72 anyone) and migrating to the limited release model (Dave's Picks and limited #'s on boxes). Get em, pull the trigger or forever be a slave to the secondary market. (From their perspective, this worked btw.. we went from 12k copies to 22k copies in nine years).

So Blair went by the roadside replaced with David Dodd's The Greatest Story Ever Told, which I also miss. It didn't last all that long, but was a great read.

https://www.dead.net/tags/david-dodd

The GSET was replaced by … well, nothing. There's no direct proof I can find that Blair disappeared to cut costs, but I have to suspect this was at least partly the cause. I do miss his monthly blog. The whole thing sort of got replaced by us.. and we're quite free.

Blair still appears on Jerry Garcia Band liner notes. I think he is one of the best, and his liner notes are a joy to read.

Got my shipping notice today.. Tuesday? Hopefully before.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey Jim, thanks for the info.

I thought his departure was within the last couple of years, but I could be wrong about that.
I thought he wrote some of the early Dave's liner notes, #1 and #7. I also thought he was listed as co-producer on Dave's 1, or maybe that was the Winterland 77 box. I always thought it was odd that to introduce the series for Dave's Picks, the liner notes were written by Blair and not Dave. Anyway, I miss his writings and his knowledge of all the tours and music. Where did he go?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

hey, I just saw him over the weekend. He's over at Classical Guitar Magazine these days: http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/author/blairstringletter-com/
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by marye

I love Blair, felt like in the old days at least, like he was one of us, as compared to one of them 😉 meaning just a head, and not an employee if that makes sense? Remember when there was no internet, (BOOOO HALLOWEEN, I just scared the shit outta the youngsters!) and usually very little media coverage.......we so looked forward to the Golden Road!
Rock on Brother!

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Dave played it on today in grateful dead history but couldn't listen to it. Have it on now. THanks for reminder. Bob t

She delivers our discs on an old school Schwin, she baby sits our arrested development arses and generally keeps this place honest, aaaaannnd she was involved with Golden Road....You go Girl!
And Thanks for all you do!

10/30/73, looks tasty, need to check that out. Dammit Jim, you enabler!

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

still no shipping notification (subscription) for Dave's 32. Good thing I now have 10-12-68 to keep me high. Truth...it's a MONSTER!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I think he entered the new warehouse to check up on our missing boxes and never came back.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by musicnow

....slow day at work, so imma gonna check it out!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

And Never Came Out.

Too funny (and likely true). Considering it's Halloween, it seems Ghoulishly appropriate.

Clearly the new warehouse is haunted.

I'm thinking either 10/31/71 or 10/31/85. What could possibly go wrong?

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

This is for Daverock and all you other loving deadheads, enjoy this Treat on this grateful hallwloween! 🙏❤️💀🌹🤠🎃🎃💀....
*https://www.
***( Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA (8/21/68)
1. Dark Star (14:33)
2. St. Stephen (04:45)

1. The Eleven> (11:07)
2. Death Don’t Have No Mercy (08:09)
Enjoy my friend and everyone else Ana I mean Everyone! Be kind & god bless my brother & sisters! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

...when there’s one theirs always another right after another emerging from their beggars tomb under the bridge & why not? It’s halloween, day of the dead and a time when most crazy lunes worshipping the moon & a bit of witches brew...lmfao! Have a grateful evening everyone, peace be with you all, even the crazies lol 🙏😎🌹☠️🎃

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Very excited for the 2020 Daves Picks serirsvstart to be released to the fans, old & new Alike! 💀🌹🙏

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Just finished this one...second set is on fire...Thanks Jim!!!

Oh what big eyes you have Mr. Wolf...too bad you are blind.....

But we can see you!!!

Happy Halloween Dead People...anyone couch touring tonight and tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

My dinners on fire.....oops, wrong one...
Doing 10/31/71, a 78 Warewolves, 10/31/85 set 1, and more 78 werewolves I
Awooooooooooo!!
Be safe boys and girls, careful with that chocolate, it’s a bit of a creeper!

EDIT; man forget just how good this 10/31/71 is, creeper indeed! The new lineup is already tight, but shits not too fully ironed out yet. Almost an Eyes vibe in there, love the rollicking segue into Maggie, hot Stephen, and this great early NFA-GDTRFB-NFA, Booyah! I have to check out more of this fall 71 stuff! Proper!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Jerry is really having a blast with that bertha. He's really belting out the vibes on this one. It also has a dukes of hazzardy sound to it. Yeee yeeeeehaaaa!!!!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Sounds a little like jerrys guitar may have a busted string on bertha but still great. Mabey it's just me.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Did someone say werewolves?

Aaaaaaoooooooooo!!!!!

Hell of an ending to great show tonight!!! Just finished it......

Aaaaaaaaoooooooooooooo!!!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I guess I may be a bit biased, but this is a pretty good show. We arrived a bit late ( it was her fault - honest!) and the band were already stuck into Help-Slipknot-Franklins by the time we arrived . I could tell even before we entered the hall, standing in the foyer, that this night was going to be better than the previous one. I couldn't believe they were playing like THIS so early in the night.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

A very good show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Keeping the fall 73 anniversary streak going, check out the Morning Dew>Playin>UJB>Playin.... Second set seems only available on board. This jam evolves in the next week to the Playing>UJB>Morning Dew>UJB>Playin that they would do twice in 1973 and one more time at the cow place in 1974... Have a good weekend everyone. Bob t

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Dap 32 and Bob Dylan's Bootleg 15 (cd & vinyl) both showed up today :-)

Quick check of #32 shows sound to be just a 1/2 step better that what I had in stock.

Dylan will take a little time to digest.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by Dennis

Just got my Dylan Bootleg 15, as well, PLUS The Doors Soft Parade 50th box. Dave's 32 arrives on Monday. It's going to be a good week for some music appreciation.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html