• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • grass-shack-nailed

Hi All,

As of yesterday a replacement copy of Dave's Picks Volume 32 arrived and was in mint condition. It took 3 months and a few contacts to customer support and Marye, but I've finally got it and that may mean there is some hope for others that may be waiting on an initial or replacement copy of this installment.

One thing to mention. It is a numbered copy and a low one at that -- #544. Seems kind of odd that this Volume 32 sold out and I'm getting one that is numbered. This is not a complaint, but just saying...

A BIG THANKS to Marye for her help on my issue because I am sure it was her inquires to The Doc that made this eventually happen.

Good luck to all that are still waiting for a Volume 32. Hopefully, Help Is On The Way!

• docmarty
    Default Avatar

I got sent a 2nd copy of 32 in error
    I am happy to pass on provided you assure me you won't be selling it on ebay
    pm me if interested

• samspade
    Default Avatar

I live in Sweden, in Stockholm. I had problems with Dave´s Picks Vol. 31, as many others, but it worked out well in the end. It took a long time to get vol. 32 - and I had to write once to the Dead - but now I received it today. I received Vol. 33 a week ago so hopefully this will work out fine in the future. By the way - Vol. 32 is terrific! A fine show from my favorite year.

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

I feel your pain. Me too. Still no Vol 32 and tracking showed the one they sent in the FAll went to multiple locations until it wound up somewhere in Indiana. I live in Ohio.

• nappyrags

Silly me...here I was all excited about finding a used copy of Dickus Pickus # 11 after hiding it for a week in the soft rock section of a used bookstore, when lo and behold I found a copy I had no memory of getting in a box of stuff I was sorting through over the weekend...sent if off to a friend who is unwise in the way of dead.net so it will be enjoyed but still...guess I gotta come up with some sorta spread sheet in my phone to avoid situations like this...silly me

• factorz
    Default Avatar

2/4 and still no copy of 32. Received Vol 33 which is great, but still nothing on this one. Original copy was sent to the wrong person (hope he is enjoying it), but where is my copy?? Paid in full but nothing to show for it. HELP ME!

• Tom G
    Default Avatar

How can this persist so long? Just meaningless email responses. Ship Vol 32! I have to believe if there was a warehouse problem then someone must be holding on to the CDs to get a bill paid. We're caught in the middle. Or what? At least give us an explanation. How can Dave not be getting to the bottom of this and fixing this mess by now? It's his namesake, so he should care.

• Scott-O
    Default Avatar

Got same message --- and my 33 came today. Not a happy camper.

• nappyrags

Bob is the best fake Bob out there...haaaa!!!

• LedDed

Someone here called Mayer "the best of the fake Jerrys." Well, he most certainly is. Slow tempos or not, that's a great band with the best live sound I've ever heard in a larger outdoor venue. So ticket prices are high, yes - they've got to pay themselves but they've also got to pay Mayer.

On official D&C recordings, it says "John Mayer appears courtesy of Columbia Records." Columbia is undoubtedly getting a little something off the top for their "courtesy."

I won't dig it up now, but you could find it - John Mayer earns substantially more per show as a solo artist than he does with Dead & Co. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between audiences - I really can't stand most of his solo work, but love him in D&C.

I would really like John to be in the band for the duration, at least for as long as all the current members remain playing together. That has to be less than ten more years and it could, in fact, end any time.

So I'll pay whatever to see what is without a doubt the last best live version of the Grateful Dead, along with the best of the fake Jerrys for as long as I possibly can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by perithecat

Someone should do a top 10.

"Stop hanging off the balcony"
"Get off the fence, idiot"

..but there are so many more...…..

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Got my copy of Nat King Cole box yesterday. (Hittin the Ramp - The Early Years (36-43)).

If you like Nat,,, great collection, great recordings.

Wasn't bad price at 100 bucks for 7 cd's (about 25 songs per disc).

enjoy

ps - not one song type in, have to enter every title!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Agreed, so many good ones! A personal fav of mine is at the end of set 1 on DaP8 - Fox Theater

"We're going to take a short break... don't anybody fall into the pit."

Also, the classic "Q: What's the difference between a frog? A: One leg is both the same." He clearly got much more of a kick out of that than anyone else, but I like it...

Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Where are you 32?!

What's (track) time for Jam->Dark Star?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

Bob Welch was not in early Fleetwood Mac

So many great ones throughout the years.
We are still reeling in disbelief that this sounds nothing like it did in soundcheck, but we are hoping we get out act together soon.
And him and Jerry loved talking about their crack equipment crew or crack staff was on the job and would have it fixed soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In ze hall.

Don't cha know.

I believe that's from the Wichita '72 show, Dave Picks 11.

Still waiting on the Spectrum pick for this go-around. Can't wait to dive in.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Also got the Nat Cole Hittin' the Ramp in the mail yesterday; great stuff! Oscar Moore sounds so good, such an inventive player(cool aside: my friend Nick Rossi wrote the article about him in the liner notes) Highly recommended.

Funny, I was also listening to all the pre-Lindsey/Post Peter Green Mac LPs last week; a lot of great songs in there, Danny Kirwan & Bob Welsh were great songwriters(Future Games, Sands Of Time, Woman of a 1000 years, etc.)

This one came out on a 45 only in 1971, beautiful Danny Kirwan song reminiscent of Albatross:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEQ07_22YA0

Last 5:

12/31/84 GD
Titanic Rising Weyes Blood
Nat Cole box disc 1 &2
Lemon Twigs Go To School
Farewell Aldebaran Jerry Yester/Judy Henske

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

“Hello Princess”
“For our next segment we’re going to begin with figuring out what we’re going to do next”
“I just wish they’d get these elephants off the stage”
“This ones for the girl wth lobotomy Eyes”
“There’s going to be a quiz later, and those of you yelling out songs we already played aren’t going to do to well”

Finally received 32, now if I only had time to rip and listen, Doooo!

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

A FANTASTIC ALBUM!!!!!! Lost to the mists of time......

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Hi thanks for the Peter Green recommendation, In The Skys. I will check it out. His Rattlesnake Shake is what first turned me on to the Mac eons ago.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by snafu

snafu you are right Bob Welch didn't join the Mac until Summer 71, after Jeremy Spenser left the band suddenly while on tour to join a religious cult. This was probably the third version of the band.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I think Bobby once commented on the Letterman show that something "was more fun than a frog in a glass of milk."

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

'It's Ho Chi Minh's birthday. I read it in my almanac.' :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by nitecat

"Lean over and kiss your radio."
- Bobby, 11/24/1978. (incidentally, I happened to be listening to this one just now and heard him say this multiple times.... it's a pretty well-known and circulated FM simulcast)

And doggone it my Dave's 32 went to my old address. I'm pretty positive I had updated it at dead.net customer service after the move so this is a weird one. Hopefully the post office will forward it along with the rest of my mail. A stray Dave's 32 is out there somewhere!

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Amazing sound, great set list. I'd have to check but is it always the last pick that get the 'poster like ' unfolding booklet? Anyhow these are the pick's that make that smile, smile, smile....

(Hate to say... but with actual decent artwork, the Dave's logo ruins it. Hey Dead.net Dead Heads buy these, we know what they are please stop with the logo. Nothing against Dave, but it ruins every cover....)

Love Peter Green. That old Fleetwood Mac stuff is good. I love to turn people on that only know today's sorta Fleetwood Nicks. Remember seeing Tom Petty in Denver back to back nights probably sometime early 2000's with Pearl Jam opening. TP played just badass 'Oh Well' that really shook the house with he and Campbell as well as the rest of the band in full force.

Dig the tunes and suggestions about other bands /music too this has been pretty good release blog.

Last 5ish:
Neil Young: Silver and Gold
Cash: American 3 Solitary Man
Jack Johnson: A Broke down Melody Sdtrk
Big Head Todd & The Monsters: live monsters
Bob Seger: Night Moves
GD: 3/24/73

Mostly work music can't get too far out there...everyone have a good night.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Number 19066/20000. I really don't mind what number I get, but when I saw this one today, my first thought was "phew! cutting it kinda close there..."

Disc 3 just popped out, ripped and ready to rock. Cooking dinner... do I start at the beginning, or jump right into that very tempting looking disc 3... hmmm.

Sixtus, hope it all gets worked out soon!

Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Well thank you very, very much! I checked back in and what do I find? A super kind gesture from CJ.
I will grab it from the ether as soon as I'm off here. Should ease the wait substantially.
Thank you again.
:O)

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

No worries dude...I look forward to your review!

Some of you made reference to Sturgill Simpson a couple days back...I’ve been listening to a lot of Country and Americana lately:

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Will the Circle Be Unbroken...Vinyl box set...this is awesome! Was referenced in the Ken Burns series recently and features guest appearances from many country greats and I think recorded mostly at the Grand Ole Oprey.

The Travelling Wilburys Vol 1&2...doesn’t get any better than this!

Josh Ritter...I like a lot of his stuff, but my first suggestion would be Animal Years. Recent album Fever Breaks is also good! Got the chance to see him live in KC this past September...one hell of a live show!

Peace all

KCJ

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I’m listening to 9-3-85 Miller.34772 and on Lovelight Bob completely blows his imitation of a Pigpen rap and just starts talking (too much for me to type) and at some point says something like “there’s not much of a message here tonight”.
I found it quite funny in the context of the discussion of Bob sayings.

Sixtus,
Hopefully Newman to the rescue with the USPS fiasco.

Food for thought:
If you see Sixtus and his family do you refer to them as Sixti?

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Pure gold. Bill and Phil coming through great, and well Jerry it's obvious.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

#19773 here :-)

Looks nice! Looking forward to digging in...

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Hmmmm......apparently(at least according to tracking), My Dave's 32 was accepted at my local post office Saturday, and then shows arrived at my local P.O. yesterday, and now shows received at my local P.O. today. Anyone wanna give me the odds on if I'll get it any time this week?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My Daves picks 32 came unexpectedly today. Ripped it, uploaded it and listening now. I keep getting distracted so I've had to restart the show after Bertha a dozen times. Bertha is tight. Bobby is killer loud and playing really well. Billy's snare sounds great. Jerry's guitar is loud enough on this opener. Keith a little low but fuckit, he's loud enough on that ragtime pie-anner solo during BIODTL. This is a top 3 '73 Bertha for me (not that there are a lot of them released in '73). Yeah, I'm up to Row Jimmy and so far it's sounding great (which by the way, Dead & Co played at Madison Square Garden the other night and Bobby wasn't playing at one point - he was using his guitar as an oar as if he was rowing; I pointed this out to my cousin and he turned to me and said yeah, but he's rowing backwards - and sure enough he was). Anyway, I don't know how this first disc can be heard in any other vein than pure uncut pre-second-set face melting Dead..... but sticks and stones love, sticks and stones.

Anyone notice that Jerry is playing the Wolf in the picture inside the CD gatefold? I thought he played the alligator Strat until his birthday in 1973. Either that bit of information I heard is false or that picture's not from Philly.

Even more interesting is Bobby's guitar. It's a Gibson but that's no ES hollow body. It looks like an SG, but not like a classic style. It has weird looking pickups I've never seen before, and a bunch of volume knobs.

KF, It's a Pee-anner, not a Pie-anner. Good thing there's spellcheck, pass the moonshine round.

So I finally got around to listening to that Albatross link you posted. I clicked the link.. then copied it and posted it to another page so I could come back and read the thread here.. got distracted and was really getting into it.. then I went to read the posts here and realized I had two running at once, but not at the same time.. when I killed one by hitting the back button, the whole vibe died. Play this twice (or thrice) at once with the timing offset. It's way cooler that way. Trust me.

Now back to that West Virginia moonshine..

....I heard, through certain channels, and yes. The knobs went to 11. Spinal Tap made the news today by the way.
https://pitchfork.com/news/spinal-tap-and-universal-music-group-settle-…
"Well. This piece is called 'Lick My Love Pump.'" Can I pretty please have the soundtrack Normanized? Today was a good day.
Mr. Ones odds. Taking bets. 5-7.
SMELL THE GLOVE!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

If you notice Jerry's alligator guitar pic. on the gatefold and the microphones with the tape near the mic. wire is the same microphones taped together in the liner notes newspaper clip. Same tape position on.mics. so same venue.

Senator, as much as I love that movie.. (makes getting a cucumber through TSA unscathed a triple dog dare challenge) posting about it here does little to help your reelection chances. Remember what happened last time when you got tied up with this stuff during an election year? (although it did give a slight boost to Burt Reynold's tanking career covering the whole event on the big screen)

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Safe and sound in Saint Paul, Minnesota . . . my favorite number is '5', so this is great! Good energy on disc one.

I agree--why the "Dave's Picks" banner logo across the tops of these? I have something of a man-crush on Dave, and I still don't know that I need that tribute to him and the series title covering up the art.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

It can overshadow and dominate decent artwork on the various releases..

On the other hand, when the artwork is (looking for the right word) off-color? , the Skull and Roses skull in the center of the logo can be a real lifesaver. Wasn't there one release when it covered up and took the place of two or three cartoonish, bearded skeletons that otherwise would have been in plain view?

So it's agreed, so long as the artwork is on point, smaller Dave's Picks banner on the top. If the bearded skeletons make a return, the banner can be enhanced to at least cover up cheesy beards, cartoon skeletons making out in the grass, skeleton boobs, skeletor boners or whatever cartoonish skeleton no-no they come up with next.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....its pretty much an institution now. But agreed. Why not do a DaP passport style stamp in a corner? Thinking out loud. The Incredible Hulk brought me here.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....looking back, the font is what it is. All that matters is what is inside. Everything else is tinsel.
My mind skips a beat every now and then.
edit....the fourth minute of the "jam*. That's some really, really, Really good stuff right there. I'm sure there's more to come. Phil takes off at the 6:30 mark. Amazing.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Well, then there now -- this is a hot little ride.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

....this beast of a jam flourishes. Like clockwork. Whatadisc! Eleven highlights.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Great clip of Jerry and Bob being interviewed, followed by Deep Ellum Blues and Monkey and the Engineer. I always assumed they'd stopped tripping by 1982...going off this film it looks like at least one of them hadn't.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Thanks guys for the positive vibes.
Indeed, I blame Newman <shakes fist in the air while muttering the name>...
Solid Seinfeld reference and everyone's (least) favorite Postman.

On the brighter side, it does appear someone besides a Monkey has come across my DaP 32:

November 5, 2019, 12:40 pm
Forwarded
WALTHAM, MA
Your item was forwarded to a different address at 12:40 pm on November 5, 2019 in WALTHAM, MA. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect.

Today just might be my lucky day. It sounds like Disc 3 is a face melter to be sure.

- Sixtus (the full clan would indeedee be Sixti)

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

remember...behind the veneer...this ultimately is a business.

A beyond description business, but a business nonetheless.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

That's the funny thing. I did look at the picture to determine it was the Wolf. Upon reading your post and taking a second look a moment ago, it's clear that a bong hit can turn an alligator into a wolf. But I prefer to believe the world's just a magical place and it changed overnight.

Jim, that' funny about Albatross. They once had a 1972 Dark Star on the tapers section. Possibly July 18th. So in an attempt to see if my recording was better, I ended up playing them both at the same time like you did with Albatross. Just a very small delay, miliseconds, but the effect was great, just like you described.

I really love this release so far. You guys are even getting me into the fast TLEOs. First version I heard was from New Year's Eve at the Cow Palace 1976. Of the slow versions post-hiatus, I think this has some extra Jerry Groove to it, possibly because it's a multi-track; I feel like I can hear every string of the chords he plays. But yeah this fast version is growing on me.

I'm off of work today. I have a couple of things I need to get done but I have time in the morning here to listen to this beauty on headphones. Audio is very impressive. I do have some features on my playback app as I've mentioned that enhance the stereo separation oh, so I guess I'm cheating a little bit but, no more than some of the effect that is applied during production. So I'm just producing. But you need to have a good source there's nothing you can do to improve the sound, so I am really happy with this one (and I was one of the tough to please fellas with the Pacific Northwest 1973 shows, mostly shows 2 & 3.

I'm to LLR. There's Keith. If anything is going to turn me on to this song, it's going to be a little pee-anner touch from The Great One. How's that for a hype sticker on Daves picks 32: "So good you'll enjoy Looks Like Rain" No pelting me with rotten tomatoes you LLR lovers.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Upon further reflection i'll question my own response. Last night as i was walking the dog listening to 7-9-89 I had an epiphany. Or perhaps it was the cabbage I had for lunch. At any rate, the bobbyism in question arose to the top of my mind. Was it 11-17-72? Or was is the Palace Theater, 9-24-72? Maybe it was neither. By the cosmos, it surely couldn't have been both. I thought about how i try to remember stuff like that so I'd be able to identify a show just by hearing some banter or a particular song order or part of a jam. Then my dog looked up at me like I was some particular brand of idiot and we walked on.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Rhino should hire you.

Slow Dog, I would SWEAR I JUST heard the announcement about forbidden smoking in the past week, which means that that comment is likely to be on DaP 16, the 1970 Road Trips bonus disc, 6/24/73, or possibly 10/17/83.

Try this on for size, THEN try convincing yourself that the GD didn't rock after 1978! :)
https://archive.org/details/gd1983-10-17.mtx.seamons.fix2.92424.sbeok.f…

Trying to get my iPad to stream uninterrupted etc.
What’s the best app for archive .org?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html