• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

He is popular in the strangest of places. In 1988 I was backpacking around the north and west of China. In those days the western world seemed not to have reached that part of the world. In three months I encountered just 3 people who could speak reasonable English and I only saw one sign in English. But on several occasions people asked me in broken English if I could sing "Country roads" or more accurately "Countlee loads". I never did find out how or why this particular artifact of western culture had managed to penetrate the bamboo curtain to reach some really remote places but it just goes to show how really weird things can get.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Meet the Beatles and The Beatles' Second Album in summer 1964. They were in bins at the checkout counter of either a general merchandise store or grocery store -- my mom definitely did not take me to a record store. I had to have these and had never asked for anything (that being frowned on by parents who came up in the Depression). So I think because of that, she relented.

My folks had an ancient record player and an open back-tube amplifier/radio that fed into a large rectangular piece of furniture that sported a well-screened, mono 12" speaker. My dad called it "Lenin's Tomb." It had lamps and plants on top of it.

I'd put on the Beatles, turn it up just loud enough to hear, and sit in front of it, rocking out as a 6-7 year-old. I didn't want to bother anyone by playing it loud and rocking out with the Beatles was like my secret life. In school, I was a total nerd until about 8th/9th grade when I "got into" girls. Then I recall snuggling with my girlfriend to Tea for the Tillerman, which musta been about age 13-14.

From there it was only a year or so til I was transported into the world of the Grateful Dead. My school record club had tried to turn me onto Live/Dead but when I put on Dark Star, I simply didn't get it. Electric Ladyland was my thing, even before I turned on. But when my older brother brought home American Beauty, we played it endlessly and it rocked. Then Skull and Roses, then my first show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

.....1979. Bought Wish You Were, John Lennon's Imagine and Rubber Soul. Still have them.
Posting without a point. Join the club hendrixfreak.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Dude, we drove through Bloomer on our way up to our resort space on Cornell Lake. Every Saturday morning we'd stop at the Bloomer Bakery for donuts and Long Johns/Bismarks (long, custard filled chocolate donuts). Still the best I've ever had. Bloomer, the Rope Jump Capital Of The World!

Small world. Rural Wisco is a hoot. People like to boat, snowmobile, watch the Packers and drink drink drink.

Be well friends, your posts are excellent.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

I got Europe 72 and Gypsy Cowboy for Christmas of 1972.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

First 45. Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun. It was almost Island Girl by Elton John, but my friend Tommy who was trying to sell it to me played it so often that I lost interest.

First LP. K-Tel’s Gold Rock 1975. I was a product of advertising. Nevertheless, Jefferson Airplane became my favorite band at the age of eleven.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Looney Tunes. Don’t know which volume, but it had Witch Doctor.

2nd and 3rd were Steve Martin ‘Wild and Crazy Guy’ and Blues Brothers ‘Briefcase Full Of Blues’ (which I currently have on CD, I recommend it if you don’t have it).
I got those from my older brother who got them from Columbia House.

When I started buying music as a teenager everything was on cassette.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Spinning 2-18-71

Phil: “well, this isn’t driving a train but it’s almost as good”.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by RobbZ

Dibs on the banana seat bike.

First three albums, Kiss Alive II (was 10), Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

In the house, we had a plethora of mediocrity and a few gems. Sister Mary Elephant, Steve Martin, George Carlin we definitely had some John Denver and Elton John, the Jackson Five, Partridges, Captain and Toenail.. typical early to mid 70's stuff.. then my brother discovered pot, acid and Hendrix.. four years later I was on it add in the Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

A week or so ago somebody brought up Fox on the Run by (The) Sweet. Memories of 7th grade, when girls first entered the scene. To this day, I still love that song. Along with Little Willy. And I say that proudly.

Very weird outcomes in the playoffs this year. Both the AVs and the Stars are highly unlikeable. Oddly, I was somewhat glad to see the Stars win. But then again, I was 15 rows back from Brett Hull’s foot in the crease goal. So by law, even though it was a stupid rule, I must hate them until the end of time.

....Motley Crue went straight to the point.
The Av's goalie is down and out.
This is all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago.
I love you all, and wish you wonders beyond compare.
Unless you bogart the joint, then all bets are off.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I started listening this morning, and have got up to Let It Grow on the first cd. Reading the sleeve notes, Dave Lemieux inadvertently highlights a major problem for me, when he reprints the quote, "Its not what they play, its how they play it". The quote for me is spot on. What I like about the Dead is the way the core players interact, not the actual songs they play. At peak shows in their career you can listen to the whole, or the contributions of any one of the players, and be totally absorbed. There is so much going on. At this show, though, up to the point I have got, there doesn't seen to be any interaction at all. Jerry plays attractive lead lines, but the rest of them just plod along in the background. They sound like a pick up band that Jerry has never played with before, just comping rather than jamming.

Good day at the cricket yesterday. Not sure how Pakistan can recover, but it should be a good days play if the weather holds up and a cloud doesn't go in front of the sun.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

In reply to by frankparry

my first lp was also best of the Beach Boys vol 1, first single was Daydream, Lovin Spoonfull, then Troggs Wild Thing, then Summer in the City, then Troggs with a girl like you ( is there a pattern emerging here?,) then Ike and Tina, River deep, then Beach boys, God only knows....bought my first records rack, and I was already in over my head.....

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

When I was five or six my first album purchase was Destroyer, because of the cover and because of Kiss trading cards. (I had never heard the band) I bought it in the grocery store, then played it on that large wooden rectangular piece of furniture someone else mentioned, or played it on the toy record player I used for Disney Listen-Along records.

Didn't buy too much after that for a long time, but did end up purchasing Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits on cassette at some point. I repurchased that on CD many years ago, and it still sounds delightful, as does the classic single, "Little Willy". No shame, people. As others mentioned, I might put on Mahler, then Little River Band, then Dizzy, then Tony Rice, then . . .

And it's physical product for me, all the way! Memories (of what's stored) and hard drives fade away, but the physical product lives forever . . . (or until the kids sell, toss, or donate it . . . )

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

The Petards? Is that the band that's constantly hoisting itself ... upon itself?

Rim shot!

Yes, I've sunken that low....

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

sorry, I don't understand what you are saying, probably a language issue.
G.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

....one of the most depressing movies I have ever seen. Excellent movie though.
Thinking of watching it on psychedelics gives me chills.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Requiem For A Dream is one long, dark trip. I wouldn't go there ever again. It was based on the book by Hubert Selby, Jr. An older friend of mine used to drink with Selby at Barney's Beanery in West Hollywood. Apparently, he was quite the character. I read a collection of stories by Selby called Last Exit To Brooklyn and I ain't ever going back there, either. While extremely well-written and engaging, it's the kind of stuff you feel almost compelled to wash off afterward.

I had a similar experience with some friends in Boulder. We all took some very strong ecstasy, I think it was probably laced with H as it was incredibly powerful, dreamy and narcotic. Someone made the bad call of choosing the movie, "Sleepers." Again, horrible, dark subject matter and why anyone would choose to watch this stuff in an altered state is beyond me.

Cheers!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by LedDed

Agree on Requiem.. the only cure is a good, I mean really good comedy.

Ok.. that new CD smell has worn off. When do we get the next release.. Did someone say 1972?

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

GERD
‘Hoist by ones own petard’ is an old saying in English. These days it means to be caught in your own trap. Originally it meant to be blown up by your own bomb since a petard was a small explosive charge.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

This is a very good show! Dave said Vol. 36 will be big, he always says that! How about a 9/70 show! Fall 72 box is needed also! as for hockey: Go Flyers!!!!! Take care folks, stay safe!!!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2nENlcXIipE. In 1977 , we went up to Candlestick Park to see the S.F. Giants opening game. The mayor of S.F. came out and gave a short speech and boos came cascading down from the stands. The mayor left the field, then out of the Giants dugout came Jackie Gleason to throw out the first pitch and the place exploded in cheers, a standing ovation! Jackie Gleason, what an incredible talent.

....today I learned. Thanks people!
Holy cow. Moses Quasar!! Hey man!
Laughed at explaining jokes comment.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Last night after hockey I watched,

John Lennon Imagine DVD

A Night At The Family Dog. Love that DVD. We need more video footage from the early days.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....Fleury's agent posted a tweet showing Marc-Andre with a sword in his back with the coaches name engraved on the blade. Took it down today at Fleury's request.
Not the time or place for bullshit like that.

...bravo my friend! Indeed!
“If Music be
The food of Love,
Play on”
- Shakespeare
🙏❤️💀🌹

...I’ve been stuck inside Dicks Picks #28 for 3 days & Im beginning to believe I might stay another 2 nites, it’s only Monday! Lol
Have a grateful day everyone, rock on my brothers and sisters! Tomorrow I’ll be spinning Buffalo 77 , looking forward to some primo audio!

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I, too, collected KISS trading cards without ever having heard the band. I was 4 at the time, and after church my dad would take my brother and I to the quickie mart and let us pick out one pack of cards. The extent of my parents' music collection was Ferrante & Teicher (schmaltzy show tune piano duets) and one Elvis 45 (Love Me Tender b/w Any Way You Want Me). So I guess this was an early form of rebellion?

I remember looking at that blood-dripping demonic visage and thinking "my gosh, this has to be the most loud, nasty music ever." And then when I later heard the poppy bounce of "Rock and Roll All Night" for the first time my jaw dropped in disappointment and I thought "THIS is KISS???" My world view was shattered.

I went on a few years later to make my first LP purchases of Rick Springfield's "Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet" and Styx' "Kilroy Was Here." I wanted to get AC/DC's "Back in Black" (again, without ever having heard AC/DC) just because I thought the all-black cover and the logo looked badass, but my parents refused. I also couldn't get Van Halen's "1984" (smoking angel baby) or J. Geils' "Freeze Frame" (because of the song "Piss on the Wall"). Yeah, my parents were pretty strict.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by sjbutler

Kiss came to England about 1976, and I duly went along. They didn't seem anything special to me really. More The Sweet than Iggy and the Stooges, unfortunately. But to this day the only record I have heard by them is one called "Beth", so maybe I misjudged them.
The other two American rock bands I saw in the mid 70s were Black Oak Arkansas-who supported Black Sabbath circa 1974, and Ted Nugent. Of those two, Black Oak Arkansas were the most entertaining, with their lead singer Jim Dandy. In fact they covered the song," Jim Dandy", too- a hit in the 60s for La Verne Baker, I think.
LMG - yup, that's the stuff!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

The family business was records...after my Pop closed his first record shop he went to work as the shipping clerk at California Music which was both a retail and wholesale entity...salesmen from various labels would come by weekly and leave various promo items that the staff would divvy up and bring home...every other week or so my Pop would bring home an LP box with 15 to 25 LP's in it...the big score for me was The Chipmunks Christmas Album (Gold foil cover and red vinyl) when I was about nine, loved it...there would be a ton of Reprise Records stuff so lots of Sinatra & Dean Martin...from all of the Reprise stuff though the stand out was "Trouble In Mind" by Texas artist Mance Lipscomb...I got that when I was 10 years old and it blew me and my buddy John away...also we had a head start on the British Blues Explosion of the mid 60's because my Pop had tons of 45's and 78's stored in our garage and John and I soon discovered all the Chess and Chess related labels he had...we were about 12 when we started exploring the garage cache...since we had all these freebies I'm thinking it wasn't until '66 or so that I bought my first 45's...Sonny & Cher and probably The Seeds...first LP's were later, BB King "From The Beginning" and the first Canned Heat and Taj Mahal albums I think...such fun...

I was going to respond: not so much a "language" thing, as a "mental health" thing...

YES, JimMD, Nineteen seventy-two rides again for DaP 36, if only in our minds!

Actually, I'm still playing Bird Song from 2-21-71... And actually hoping there's no box this fall.

Nap-Man - you still have all that vinyl?

Wasn't much in my house growing up, those things cost money and we didn't have any. Mom had a 78 collection from before she got married. They were varying pop hits of the day. (late 40's, early 50) I got a 78 of Sinatra doing the coffee song. Also, the ever popular Woody Woodpecker Song, and who could forget "with her red silk stockings and green perfume". We had a meager collection of 33 lp's, mostly copies of real people. We had a Nat King Cole album,,,, the Greatest Hits of Nat King Cole. Didn't realize until I grew up, the album was label in big text, "The Greatest Hits of NAT KING COLE",,,, then in little tiny print underneath,,,, …."as sung by Charlie Francis".
Truth be told,,, he sounded like Nat.

Mom bought us kids albums when I was little and those 45 size 78 speed yellow kids records,,, I remember "Hi Diddle Dee an Actor's life for me" was one. Unfortunately none of kids 78 survived.

Up to this point all we had as kids were little "record players", open lid, play record. When I was 13 I got my first "stereo" for Christmas (best thing I'd ever gotten,,,, think Red Ryder BB Gun) The thing was a 50 dollar department store stereo, bet it only had 6 watts, but STEREO!!!

The first two (grown up) albums I got that Christmas was a Ray Stevens album Gitarzan and Johnny Cash at San Quentin. Many years later I would laugh that my first two albums were both live shows! First album I bought myself, Andy Williams Greatest Hits. Got it at a local department store (JM Fields), for 3 bucks.

This links back to early conversations about our early musical loves. I tell people all the time, "never be apologetic for early musical loves", we all had to start somewhere :-)

Went to a parent teacher conference once for my kid when he was in 4th grade. (this is in 97), teacher says Blake is the only kid walking down the hall singing "Danke Schoen"

Our musical background is what brings us where we are today.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Dennis

"This links back to early conversations about our early musical loves. I tell people all the time, "never be apologetic for early musical loves", we all had to start somewhere :-)"

As I always say...Some of my early loves may be crap...but THEY'RE MY CRAP!!!

Oh and no...I don't have any of that vinyl anymore...probably lost sight of it with all the moves I made from '69 - '73

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

The mention of NKC makes me think of how my father was hip to box sets way back when - I remember him buying a 3 LP set of Nat King Cole. He played the grooves out of that thing! Along with the Andy Williams and Ray Conniff Albums, this box set got serious air time, he loved it, both my parents did. I would hear Ramblin’ Rose in my sleep. A golden voice that Mr Cole.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

rolling up some and getting the popcorn ready for day one of the funniest thing on tv this year tonight and the next 4 nights. Let the hate fest begin. One things for sure, the stand up comics will have a lot of material to use once this bunch are done. Assclown has all ready said that it's all a plot to get him. You can't make this stuff up
Give us more 72 for 36 Dave, you know you want to.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

Back in my youth I went bar to bar with my shoe shine box, hawking shines for a quarter. The one bar I went to was ALWAYS playing Ramblin' Rose and all the boys there at the bar would sing along.

It was an odd thing, but different bars had different songs. One bar (Chappy's) served Sunday breakfast of Kielbasa and Kraut. Husband dropped the wives off for church and the men went to Chappy's for breakfast. They had a organ and on Sunday the constantly repeated song was Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue.

Dennis, that Ramblin’ Rose song was one of those ear worms you just couldn’t shake! You heard it in the morning, you’d be humming it in the evening. After swim class, my friends would form their A capella group - The Chlorines - and sing that darn song in the showers, because the acoustics were so good, the ladies would hear it over in their change room!!
I wonder what the Dead could have done with a song like that...

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

My mom was a country music fan. Patsy Cline, Hank Williams. My dad was a big band fan. Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey. Then they had the compromise things they both listened to - Elvis, Englebert Humperdinck, Eddy Arnold. They both liked Bread, they had one 8 track called the Best of Bread.

My first album i bought with my own money was Rare Earth - One World. My cousin, who was a few years older than me and was into Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, used to really let me have it about that one. The second one was Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die. I got a little more respect for that choice.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

You may not have to vote because NASA has determined that America could suffer an asteroid impact just one day before election day. Bring it on! You couldn't make this stuff up. ☄️

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html