• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Blow me , last week I fished out 3/13/85 for a listen from my podcast-cd box, and I saw it referenced on here after having done so. This morning I pulled out 10/10/82-and the same thing has happened. I haven't actually got to the show yet-just the tracks the Shakedown Stream presenter played from random shows preceding it-but 10/10 is on the way. Maybe I should listen to 10/9/82 first - ithat's in my box, too.

Top cd for me at the moment is a compilation put together by Jon Savage, called "1965-The Year the Decade Ignited." Its a double, full of great singles from the year in question. To me, the singles from 1964-1967 have an energy and brightness that seemed to get lost when the "rock" era took hold in 1968. There are two other compilations in the same series, focussing on 1966 and 1967.

The Funhouse box set by Iggy and The Stooges is the bomb. Tangerine Dream to send me to sleep-Iggy and The Stooges to wake me up. Dave's Picks in the post.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

This problem is.. with live music on a hiatus and Phil low on funds, he had to go back to the Post Office for work and as luck would have it is now delivering all the Dave's Picks himself.

Things have changed since Phil last delivered mail in 1965, as others have mentioned.. mail delivery was simply more efficient when bear's White Lightning helped power the mail delivery. ... and then there's Newman. Few people realize how drained the USPS becomes during times of recession as many postal trucks drive too and from Michigan where the deposit on bottles and cans is 10 cents compared to 5 cents in the rest of the country.

I still think we should set up a go fund me page and upgrade MaryE to an EBike or three.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

These two shows, could easily be packaged as a box set alone, then you pick all the other great shows that were played at Ventura, Greek and the Frost and you have one knockout of a West Coast Box set! Great shows played at the Warfield at this time also, you can add those to the West Coast Box set.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

There were indeed loads of great singles released in the mid-sixties. Even better, many of them featured on "Top of the Pops". Back then it was the essential TV weekly pop music show. I remember seeing Pink Floyd (miming to an earlier recorded track) performing See Emily Play or The Byrds and Mr. Tambourine Man amongst many, many others. Of course there were other music programs on TV, such as the excellent "Colour me pop" but such programs came and went while "Top of the Pops" goes on forever.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

HBD....to One From The Vault, played on this date 45 years ago. Hard to believe, that's like, a lifetime.

But to this release, I give almost all of The Credit for officially getting me onto the bus never to look back. Just think about those fateful words on the back cover, denoting the official commencement of the release of the vault tapes; it still gives me the chills and back then we all had no idea what was truly going to come to fruition. Now, 36 Dick's Picks, 35 Dave's Picks, countless other official releases and box sets, man, we've been very very lucky.

Thank you to the GD Machine - and all of you, us, keeping the love and spirit alive while always enthusiastically hungry for more.

Be Well People
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Ice - I watched it last night. Great movie. Thanks for the heads up.

I feel bad for you folks who have not received copies of DaP 35 yet. Evidently the GD subcontracted out to the Toronto Maple Leafs and they don’t deliver.

went to pick up pizza yesterday
on the way listened to Wharf Rat from 4/19/84
wowie zowie
the ending jam...
:)))

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Finally received my copy and it appears I have plenty of company when it comes to slow delivery. I'll live, but I'm more concerned about mail-in voting in November. To the business at hand with DP35, having listened to it now, it's not horrible, but I find it incredibly sad to hear Jerry's voice in such a state. Whether it was the drugs or the chili dogs or a combination of the two, he doesn't even sound like himself in this period. I hope future releases avoid this era. Depressing to listen to. It's going on the shelf.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

There was a programme on T.V. recently featuring highlights from Ready Steady Go! Being a mere 63 years old, it was slightly before my time, but it looked great. Two clips that stood out were The Stones doing Paint It, Black, with Brian Jones the epitome of 60s cool on sitar, and a version of "Shake" by Otis Redding and Eric Burden that practically blew up the telly. Not harmed by the fact that it was presented by the fab Cathy McGowan, rather than some stodge wearing a cardigan, asking the bands what they would like to do when they grew up.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

7-22-84

Close of Summer 84 Tour—Ventura County Fairgrounds

High purity/clarity soundboard. Awesome.

(Thanks to the Deadpod!)

(And no shipping involved!)

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Hey now, thanks man, always was fond of Tommy Bolin, saw him in Miami the day he died, great guitar slinger. I knew a chick from North Dakota who knew him from the reservation days, she had a big crush on him. He loved the cocaine.
Last 5
Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
Cream Disraeli Gears
Copperhead
Frank Zappa Overnite sensation
Savoy Brown Hellbound Train

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

I just don't like the '80's or '90's Dead. Too mediocre compared to older stuff. Just my opinion.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I don't normally break my anonymity but after witnessing this run of shows & listening to 4/20/84 I feel compelled to mention Jerry's appearance I'm a recovering addict with over 24 years clean, by this run of shows Jerry looked & appeared to be rundown I attended the Spectrum shows in March of 1983, 4/26 is excellent by the way, Jerry was starting a slow steady decline into the throes of addiction but after seeing him about a year later it was apparent that his drug of choice had clearly gotten the better of him his skin looked "gray" & his hair was wiry he & always appeared to be on the "nod" yet his playing at times was inspirational if you look at the picture of him in the 35 booklet page 6 & the back cover was a typical Jerry pose in 1984 at the time I didn't realize how his addiction had spiraled out of control in fact I didn't realize any of it until after I had a year clean. My clean date is 12/31/95, the year the music died once Jerry passed I didn't see the point of living with addiction so I did a few bags of dope on the 30th & by 5pm the 31st I self checked into Riverside House. I remember that on 8/9/95 the REAL day the music died I was so distraught that I OD'd it wasn't until around October of 1995 when the coroner released his official report that it was Jerry's lack of dugs that caused his massive heart attack that I thought about doing something greater than living life lesser it was only until I had the courage & the wisdom to do something about it. I wonder if Jerry ever reached out to a healing hand of NA & sought help or did his ego have him believing that he had his addiction under control at one time mine did. I see this picture of Jerry & think that this was the beginning of a life & death battle of addiction that Jerry wanted to win but in the end the wreckage & ravage of his drug addled body he eventually lost, the result is always the same jails, institution & death. I'm so glad we have to the music to survive for everytime I listen to this cd I will remember where & how & what my addiction led me to & I will always than Jerry Garcia for showing me how to live life without the use of drugs, today I have 2 solutions in which to solve a problem the chemical solution or the spiritual solution today I choose the spiritual solution for the spirit of Jerry lives in me. Need I mention that 25 years ago today the Jerry Garcia Memorial took place at Golden Gate Park and for that I say LATVALA. As always PLAY DEAD PLAY LOUD!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

For daverock:

I'm not in love with television
I'm not in love with the radio
I'm not in love with the Kings Road
Because I'm in love with Cathy McGowan

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Thanks for sharing that post and good for you. You should be proud of yourself. Living sure beats dying! Good for you man.

Yes, this was a rough time for Jerry and the band. I don't know if he ever made it to rehab or not. I seem to recall Phil talking about trying to take Jerry to rehab in 84 or 85 and he threatened to quit the band, so it didn't happen. The coma gave him a different perspective to quit for a while and I think he said something to the effect of he did not like lying in the hospital with IVs running through his body. Not sure when he started up again, maybe 91?

84 Dead is not 72, 77, or 89 Dead, but it is part of the 30 year run. I just got my #35 today, so I want to get through the whole show before I comment, but I will say, the sound quality is really good. My Brother Esau! Yes!

Anyway, WISSINOMINGDEADHEAD , glad you made it through and are still at it. Keep it up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by frankparry

Frankparry - guilty as charged . Generation X, unless I am very much mistaken.

Wissinomingdeadhead - good post-thanks for sharing that. Congratulations on the last 25 years, too.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I think the new Dave's Pick sounds great, what I ve heard so far. 39 years ago today, I started hitchhiking up to Oregon from the Bay Area, to see the Dead in Portland and Eugene. What a blast!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I thought you would like it.
I knew I would want to watch it more than once, so bought the DVD and have watched it a couple of times so far.
I still hate the AVs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks Dave for keep bringing out great tunes! I got mine today. Keep up the great work!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I've barely looked at the posts lately, but so far agree Sixtus - I forgot it was the anniversary. And here I am sleazing around 1970, wondering if the Dark Star from 1/2/70 is better than the one on 2/13.

Angry Jack - funny Maple Leaf delivery joke.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

For some reason I didn't get to watch Ready, Steady, Go that often but when I did I can assure you I was checking out Cathy McGowan more than the latest mod moves and fashions. 😛 I can't really recall much in the way of mods and rockers in my home town. By the time I was old enough to get into what was going on it was pretty much a hippie and biker town. Fortunately the two groups got on together - mostly. Next big social change began at the end of the sixties with the first festivals, something that shaped my social life for a good few years. That and Indian restaurants. 🌶️

I was 15 when I started going to gigs-the summer of 1972. The sounds and looks were defined by Black Sabbath and Hawkwind, and they set the sartorial and cultural standards of the day.

The other group of bands I liked and saw were ones who seemed to straddle the pop/rock divide - and the summer of 1972 saw great singles from the likes of David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music as well as Silver Machine by Hawkwind. T.Rex...maybe you had to be there.
Nick Kent wrote about Iggy Pop in the NME that year, and he became something of a role model for me. Those first three albums by The Stooges knocked most of the British hard rock albums into a cocked hat. Nobody I knew wore makeup or adopted any of the glam rock trappings, though. We lived in Oldham for chrissakes - we could look after ourselves , but we weren't suicidal.

The villains in this pantomime were the skinheads. One of them could knock out 10 of us.

user picture

Member for

8 years

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0npO1Htw55Ra8QBPDUIJmEt2tI5gKgrM…

* Grateful Dead - September 18, 1987
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY

Set 1:
Hell In A Bucket ~
Sugaree ~
Walkin' Blues
Candyman ~
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Bird Song

Set 2:
Shakedown Street ~
Man Smart, Woman Smarter ~
Terrapin Station ~
Drums ~
Space ~
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ~
All Along The Watchtower ~
Morning Dew ~
Good Lovin' ~
La Bamba ~
Good Lovin'

Encore:
Knockin' On Heaven's Door

...I hope everyone will enjoy this performance.
Have a grateful day everyone, be safe, be kind and “Smile Smile Smile!” Peace be with you all!
🙏❤️💀🌹😎

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Thanks for sharing your tales. I'm glad you found some peace all those years ago!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Can you all please stop discussing hockey? As I've mentioned before, it's aggravating to live in The State of Hockey but to see much better teams in states that have never even seen natural ice. :)

No basketball talk either, please. Our T-Wolves are one of the worst sports franchises in history, as you're all aware.

How 'bout them Twins, though, eh? :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Sorry DHBrewer, just messin’ with ya, and hey, don’t feel bad, at least your not a lifelong Buffalo fan! LOL

EDIT: and no spoilers, want to watch tonight...
DBL EDIT: just glad we’re not playing the Wild as they always seem to have the AVs number...

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

DaP 35 number 368 arrived at my snail-mail box the other day. What a treat, what a great show and I'm listening to it on a perfect sounding "clone" cassette. I believe Healy was using TDK cassettes, but which one was he using, exactly?

I was there for the 4/20 & 21st shows, this 4/20 has *it!*

Thank you Grateful Dead Productions/dead.net for ALL you do, this Dave's Picks Volume 35 shows it very well.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Thank you for sharing a tiny sliver of your life story. I am inspired and grateful.
Love ya, man!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

Since all of my teams are out, I’m backing Canada for these playoffs. All the remaining squads.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Hey Jimmie, That was beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing. Kinda puts all the different roads each of us travels into better perspective. And we'll all miss Jerry always! And we'll all Play Dead LOUD! Onward!

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

39 years ago today , I was up in Oregon seeing the Dead . We picked up.a case of Bud talls and partied down by the Willamette River with some bums we met, funny guys. The Dead put on a good show. After the show, we hitchhiked down to Eugene to see the Dead at MacArthur Court.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I’ll take that bait! I think the Twins will at least win the Central in this miniature baseball season we are having, however watch out for my Royals as we have some good young pitching, and a few bats.....let’s play two!

Did anyone outside the US get theirs yet?

Mine apparently has left the station, but is not here yet.

The race is on, I am pulling for you..

Man, the more I read about the postal situation here the more depressed I get.
Talk about a stupid self-inflicted wound...

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Here in Carolina, still no luck. Shipped on July 29 and last tracking info puts it an hour away 11 days ago. I'm beginning to get concerned.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

This probably will not be popular but I've listened to DP 35 several times. I am not buying Dave's hyperbole. Jerry's voice is weak, I can't hear bob at all and with the exception of the shows opener the show is average at best. Come on Dave, you keep telling us the vault is deep and you have some killer shows in mind and you release this? This is not an upper tier performance worthy of "Dave's Picks".

I have heard those in the past, and I recall they were good

I know they played SLC on the 12, Seattle on the 14th....

Someday, I gotta revisit those...

I am soooooo glad we have the recordings

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Regardless, I love this release, and am truly baffled by the "meh" that some folks express.

I suppose its like 3 29 90. My "no guest artists" bias (with a few exceptions) extends to that show. Some love it; I ignore it.

A long, strange, highly opinionated trip, y'all.

user picture

Member for

13 years

... and still no shipping notice, my order status does not show that it has been shipped (in fact, there is no information for Dave's 35,) and there is no release here in Baltimore.

Has there been any word since the beginning of August? I remember someone posting that Dead.net said they were having issues getting these mailed out, but that the remainder should be shipped by the beginning of last week (August 10th or so.) I would feel a lot better if I could at least receive a notice about the delay - better if I could receive a shipping notice and some way to track it - best if the discs just showed up in my mailbox. Again, this is the first issue I have had with Dead.net after years of ordering - I hope it all gets worked out soon.

Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

David bowie hunky dory
Neil young ragged glory
David bowie the man who sold the world
Husker du new day rising
Jimi hendrix axis bold as love

user picture

Member for

7 years

Poor jerry is taking a beating on this Dap 35 for his voice. I used to feel bad at shows when jerry sounded off key. I imagine jerry was extremely embarrassed when he heard himself go off key or forget the words and you know he wanted to say sorry but could not. I like this Dap warts and all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The Esau from this release is worth putting on repeat for a few runs! Especially if you have crickets chiming in the bushes outside and fireflies rising up from the lawn..... But earlier tonight I was listing to the Shakedown Stream Pre Show back from May when Bobby sat in for the first time and when the question was posed to him, what song did he personally think was removed from the repertoire before its time was due, my first thought was Esau. A personal favorite since the first time I heard it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

Well here in Wiltshire in the UK, I've received a Royal Mail notification of my DP35 awaiting collection on payment of £12.73 in import charges (including the £8 Royal Mail handling fee); so that's every DP this year now.

No problem with the VAT and customs charges of course, but £8 x 4 in Royal Mail handling fees for every DP subscription is becoming less and less amusing . Why doesn't Dead.Net issue Dave's Picks as downloads too, as with other releases?

The September issue of ‘The Wire’ has a review of the Third Man live album together with a review of the Rhino 15 LP issue of ‘Fun House’. If you don’t subscribe then while passing a newsagents have a look at page 70. Even better buy the issue and then subscribe.
As I said earlier, my #35 arrived in the UK on 12th August. I expect to get a demand for money from Royal Mail soon so might see the discs by the end of the week. I like the physical product so don’t want a download but it would be nice to have an option to pay the tax due at the time of the order, since the free postage for early orders doesn’t count on European orders.
I’m still watching rather than listening. Having finished The Sopranos I’ve moved on to Deadwood to hear even more swearing.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcJQkbDLpU. We are getting a lot of lighting here in the Bay Area this morning. 39 years ago today, 8/16/81, I was just getting into Eugene, Oregon, and there on the marquee at MacArthur Court it read " An Evening With The Grateful Dead and LSD". Ken Kesey and his friends would show up later with the Thunder Machine.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html