• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis, you are an over achiever!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

Simonrob and Gratefulhan - thanks for reminding me about The Road Trips with a portion of this show on. I had forgotten about that. I notice it also has 7/31/71 attached-another great show from that time.

Gratefulhan - I know what you mean about the audience tape of this show. I can still remember the first time I heard the tape, some 27 years ago in a mates flat, as he was dubbing it for me. Maybe the style and sound the band had at that time leant itself to audience recordings - a bit rough and ready with plenty of country/blues/rock and roll thrown in.
I have just re-listened to the FM recording of 7/2/71. You can hear the audience clapping and shouting out between songs. In fact at one point, you can hear someone shout out "Get on with it!" as they tune up between numbers. Obviously not up to speed on Deadhead etiquette !

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Mine has arrived......Oro, incoming..... check your email.

maybe someone can shed some light on the odd track numbering on the back....on Disc 3 the 04/20 songs are listed as tracks 1-6, then the 4/19 songs are listed as tracks 5-8?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

# 15576 arrived today. I think I know why the track numbers are off. Dave was particularly spaced that day lol. Vguy my show took the same routing who knows. And it wouldn't be me if I didn't do this. The people who work for the Dead , Rhino, UPS and USPS are not evil. They produce something great we all like and work hard at it. Stop whinning are you completely unaware of what's going on right now. With short staffing inexperienced employees and any number of reasons there will be issues. Thank you Dave , Pinkus, Mary Norman USPS, UPS and people I forgot. You make my life more enjoyable

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Pleased to hear this is landing in hands and getting some spins. Hopeful and assuming it sounds great; I've always loved this show and am also looking forward to the added nuggets - which I've never heard before. Separate playlists solve any problems easily there...but this one will get plenty of play in the old CD player, regardless.
At 11.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I would quote you to my wife, but she'd only have a despairing remark about you and the people I hang with......

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Playing in the Band, Dave's Picks Berkeley (maybe around 25 or 26?). Great tasting and never lets me down.

Dennis, you did me proud when you talked about merging songs together and splitting bonus tracks up into their own folders...

1. We PAID for a subscription, all info is the same as has been for many years
2. We’ve followed the PO instructions regarding our unusual circumstances. Same as every other year
3. The PO completely messed up so now we may not get what we PAID for.

So that and lamenting the fact that you can’t have sensible shipping options anymore is whining?
Fuck this place I’m over getting bummed out every time I post something.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

And I feel for all our friends across the pond too. I have faith in dead.net also.. I think they will make good somehow. If not.. you have friends in low places than can help keep you whole.

I agree with Snafu too.. these are mostly great folks doing their jobs, but the world is a little fucked up right now.

It would give me great joy to see the folks overseas get their CDs about the same time as us (or reasonably close) and have some normalcy.. We all love the music and getting that crisp, fresh, Full Norman monster in the mail makes for a happy day. No reason to hog up all the fun here in the states.

No #35 for me today.. I haven't even checked my tracking.. but come to think of it, I am not sure I have even gotten a tracking number yet. That's what I get for living in the stix..

Have a great week all.. How's that Jerry Tune go, "In this world of trouble.. we've got to Love One Another" Fit's like the perfect fit, right... Now.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Friday it was literally down the street. Now tracking says it's been lost somewhere in the hand off between UPS and the USPS and delivery date is unknown. I am going to vote in person this election even if I have to wait in line for 12 hours in a hazmat suit.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

A few months back there was a conversation about the '72 Europe recordings and Keith's presence in the mix...topic being some recordings were much better quality and more "Keith friendly" than others. Can't remember which, or why,....was it Steppin Out, Rockin/Rhein, or possibly some of the single shows that really shined?
Anyway, was hoping you might have a couple recommendations or favorite shows from the E 72 Tour with Keith up in the mix and just killin it!

Thanks in advance.....I have a young pianist in the family who requires exposure.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Before even listening, I dumped discs 2 and 3 into an audio editing program and burned Scarlet through A&A on one CDR and JBG/DJ/ChinaRider/EstP/Terrapin/Wheel/WRat/SugMag on another. There is a clean break between A&A and JBG, but that break is an inaudible .005 seconds (approx) and the two songs should be united. I prefer my layout, but I totally see why GDM went the route they did on the discs. The traditional "split set two during D/S" is much easier on the listener's nerves then is a disc break between linked songs...
Only have time for Disc One tonight. About halfway through now. Sounds very clean and clear. Listening to this Esau, I feel Jerry and Brent are very nicely balanced in the mix, but the standard Healy tape lack of Phil's bass & Bob's guitar is in full effect here. Back in 2013 I got the Charlie Miller of this show and put the Let It Grow in my iTunes. I expect that will be a pretty hot finale for my listening tonight!
Play if you got 'em, if you don't need 'em just pass them on... May those still waiting get theirs soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yup....feeling pain of the Shipping Blues. Ordered 2, 1 for me, 1 for my son. One still says it is in CA (I’m in MA), the other has been stuck in a USPS facility for 2 days, and 15 minutes from house. Time to start providing other shipping options to customers if they want to pay extra for UPS Direct, or maybe even allow downloads of the shows, CDs are old tech.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Is the pitch correct on the discs? Was off(slow) on the samples posted here - Thank you

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So instead, last five:

Workingman's Dead 50th Anniversary - studio album

Greg Copeland - The tango bar

Terry Allen and the Panhandle Mystery Band - Just like Moby Dick

Webb Wilder - Night without love

Don Leady - Dos rios

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I haven't even received an email saying Dave's 35 has been shipped. Went to Order Status, 33 and 34 say Shipped, nothing under 35. I don't have a problem waiting if I knew it was actually in the system somewhere. But I'm not sure it is. Been a subscriber since the beginning, at same address. Hoping for some info soon.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

...though my friend down the street got his yesterday. We are one zip code away, so maybe that has something to do with it. Once or twice, I received the pick before getting a shipping notification email, but that is usually not the case... here's hoping the mailman has something for me today.

My buddy who got his says that it sounds great - and he's a BIG fan of 84, (and, he was at the show that makes up the filler for this set.)

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

send me a PM and I'll see what the Doc can do.

Looks like several folks have not received shipping notices and no posting of "shipping" on their order status. I called the help desk this morning and was told that there are delays in getting DaP 35 out the door due to the pandemic. She reassured me that these will be shipped soon as hopefully later this week / early next week.

As I wait GarciaLive 14 (and it's bonus disc), and the WMD Port Chester show are keeping me busy. Love the Port Chester show. Nice vibe to the show and found I didn't miss the lack of any monster jam being played at the show. Really digging it!

Fingers crossed for all of us still awaiting 35.

user picture

Member for

7 years

First disk smokes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Green Mtn Dead

I expected DaP35 to take a while to reach the U.K. but I still haven’t received Workingman’s Dead. Good job I ordered an extra copy from Amazon.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

usually I'm on slow end for receiving DaP but DaP35 was in the PO in rural desert southwest by Monday, finally able to pick it up yesterday evening. hope to dig in later today. hope the shipping blues are short lived for everybody.

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

35 was delivered in my mailbox yesterday, I have to say I'm really digging this. Although Phil sounds a little low in the mix, anyone else experiencing this? Nice touch by the Dead with the colors of the CDs, sure looks like the colors of Philly sports to me (Red Phillies, Blue Sixers, Green Eagles). Hope everyone with shipping problems receives the CD soon. Peace.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So, tracking my package...it arrived in Illinois and sat for 3 days. Was pleasantly surprised that it came from there straight to my local post office, which incidentally is located 1 mile from my residence. There it has sat since Monday. Today is Thursday. Mail carrier just came by. No package.

This also happened to be the week that mail in voting for the primaries. Upon reading some earlier posts I have no doubt that the holdup of my package is indeed related to mail in voting and the ordered slowdown.

Normally I would have got this by Saturday or Monday. Even the extra for priority shipping has led to even longer wait time for delivery. I don't blame Dead.net or my mail carrier. This comes from whoever is running the postal service into the ground. Total b.s.. It is politically motivated without a doubt.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A week after receiving the Dead Net Store shipping notice, UPS have finally received the package in Fontana, CA. This means I now have an alternative tracking number which is recognized by USPS but of course it is not yet in the USPS system. No estimate of a delivery date yet. The package continues to move slowly, but at least it is moving. I don't consider this a problem, just a consequence of all the weirdness that is beginning to determine everything. When the going gets weird, the weird go dark.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 8 months

I also called customer service yesterday looking for the Dave's Pick 35. They told me end of the week or early next week I should receive it. I look forward to this release being a fan of this time period and being born and raised in the city of Brotherly Love

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I am in the same boat as Spacebrother, also a Michigan resident (if I remember that correctly Spacebro). It arrived at my small city post office Monday and there it has sat. I am not at all worried about it and I usually don't check on my packages-- "when it arrives, it arrives." I still feel that way, but checked just 'cause.

I know folks don't want to talk politics on here, but this is all related to the new Postal Service head, who is trying to 'turn around' the organization's finances in the middle of a pandemic and with record numbers of folks voting by mail. In the early days of the pandemic, mailings took an extra day, maybe two at the most. We are finding everything is slowed down by at least several days now (many family birthdays in the past month). Just sharing my unscientific observances that point to meddling in the postal services practices-- it was well documented by major news organizations last week.

New practices include leaving mail to sit until the next day if it hasn't been sorted where postal employees were vigilant about getting mail out the door asap before. This is leading to backlogs at post offices with days of mail sitting. Consider this ending with many expletives directed at the people in charge of this shit show and politicizing the postal service.

Meanwhile, Amazon packages arrive the next day. I saw folks on the Workingman's Dead board complaining about the holdup. I ordered it from Amazon one day and got it the next-- for less and with free shipping. Just sayin'. And to add something Dead-music related-- love that 2/21/71 show with WD. Give me any show with Easy Wind and I am a happy camper.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

Just curious how your WMD was shipped: UPS, FedEx, or smart post?
I’m guessing UPS or fedex direct to your house?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by RobbZ

5/24/72 comes to mind but only because of Keith's "barrel-house boogie-woogie" riffs in Mexicali Blues. Very slick and fun. But if you want to hear Keith WAY in front of the mix, I'd start with his first few shows with the Dead in the fall of 1971.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

To JeffSmith for posting the link to album art! I'll find out soon enough if you have the new JerryLive there, too. Keep it safe all and have a happy rest of summer!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Well..this sucks. Tracking shows this was delivered to my local post office on Monday the 4th.. I went down there to see what the hub bub was and they claim they have no idea where it is..lol..First time that ever happened..any suggestions anyone? Or am I shit out of luck??

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I love The Wheel.
Always comforting and gratifying to see it appear in an offering.

AND this being the First Official Esau (I think?); man it is pretty funky and cool. Very fun.

Carry On.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I’m a big fan of Brent , and I gotta day he’s absolutely amazing during these performances from in the spring of 1984!
Also , to all you artwork fans & critics for all the Dead’s Officially release, let’s add this Releases Cover ; contains References to mind altering substances ... if (one) you look closely enoughat the artwork used for ‘Dave’s Picks ‘ #35 ,the skeletons right boxing glove is holding a burning marijuana Cigarette , I wonder what strain is being smoked?! Lmao! 😂😉😗💨
Have a grateful evening everyone, I’m on my fourth listening pleasure With Dave’s Picks #35. AND loving every single grateful moment I’m experiencing over & over again ,so cool peacefull sounding recording by Healy ! I’m more than pleased with the audio quality, just how I like it sometimes. Nice clean chasing the muse around a theater or any stage of that matter! . I’ll post my final review in the up coming days! . Have a grateful evening my brothers and sisters, peace be with and until next time, as Dave says, play it loud!!! Lol love it. Have a grateful rest of your days this evening. 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Nope.

Two seconds in and the keyboards ruin it.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html