• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I heard that the next Dave's 36 comes with a free bowl of soup.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I love this release. I was not expecting to, my groove generally hovering around 1971-1970 whatever, but this is good. You can hear all the drugs and bad living creeping into Jerry's increasingly croaky, dry voice, but he isn't yet the post-coma old man/uncle we'd all know and love forever after.

No, this was a ship sailing through calm waters before that storm as well as the ones that came after. Garcia the Head, with the longer hair, beard dandruff on the black T-shirt and stinking. But still, somehow, a messiah on stage.

Go figure.

I have never brought politics onto this board. Most everything else but not that, as it seems obvious. But, hell, a little blood in the water never hurt anyone. Like taking a broad to a strip club, or a fight. Ever watch a woman watch a boxing match, in person? My God. Take her back to the hotel room after and she'll tear you apart.

For the purists, back to the music, this is very "liquidy". Jerry wanks a bit with no real beginning or end to some of his solos, what he's saying conversationally lacks the eloquence and plot he'd lost in the few years preceding, due to massive cocaine and Persian use, but hey, who am I to judge?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

If I put crackers in the soup does it count as a meal?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I haven't got Dave's Picks 35 yet, but yesterday I got the Complete Funhouse Sessions by Iggy and The Stooges. Its the 7cd box, second hand from France. At the moment it is in quarantine in the next room, where it is quietly pulsing with energy. Its always was a dangerous sounding album, and if you handle this box incautiously now it could kill you.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

No, not DaP #35. Garcialive 14 and the bonus disc have dropped through the letterbox. That’s 21 days from the initial notice of dispatch or 14 days since the package actually started to move. Even better there were no import charges because it was so cheap. I’ll listen to them in a couple of days.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Oro, we do Amazon Prime, so not sure of the particulars. I believe it starts as UPS delivery, but ends with Amazon delivery person at point of delivery. The Amazon folks are making daily deliveries to our house and our neighbors. While I would like to support dead.net for all product, I always buy the mass market items from Amazon-- always cheaper and free, reliable shipping (used to be 2-day, now it is next day).

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I see that there is a story in the news today, , that leaders in both parties Rep & Dem are trying to get the postmaster General to get rid of the operational changes that have slowed down the mail.

Deadtony
I'm in identical boat. UPS says it was transferred to USPS. USPS did not get it.
I called dead.net. that was adventure! She just kept talking in circles saying I should get tracking number by Monday to Wednesday after release date. I pointed out twice that it was now Thursday after release date. She repeated tbe same thing to me like she was reading from a script. I finally asked how long I would have to wait before calling again without getting this answer because I'm pretty sure package got lost. She finally broke script and said call back one werk from yesterday.
So there's at least hope I will eventually get some kind of customer service.
Some form of screw up like this happens at least once a year with my subscription. So far they have always made it right. I hope they have backup copies for those of us who are/got lost in the ether.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

So, I was saving DaP 33 for a “rainy day“ and I opened it up this morning. To my surprise, my copy has two Disc 3s and no Disc 1. Did this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know if GDM can make it right? I’m really liking Disc 3, but I’d really rather have the first disc to complete the show. Thanks!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

... and STILL no shipping order, so I can't even look up a tracking number to see if it has arrived in my area. This thing was "released" a week ago today.

I am not sure what is going on with USPS, but NO ONE in the city of Baltimore got their mail yesterday. That is plain crazy to me.

"No matter rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor - oh wait... Pandemic, massive budget cuts, mismanagement? Yeah, those things will stop the mail."

Ugh... I am leaving for a long road trip on Sunday morning... I really hope I can listen to DaP35 on the drive.

Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

...now let's go out and sing.

Bad for even a bad night. Another Wheel running on a flat tire.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

After some investigative work our post master has an image of our 35 package and for whatever reason deadnet changed our address/info (didn’t include the X + box number) so that is why the PO sent it back.
We’ve noticed this has become a trend with other sellers recently: changing our shipping information from what we have listed, and always used via PO instructions, so that more and more of our things are getting sent back! Why? Why all of a sudden is this happening? And again, don’t mean to beat a dead horse but why the hell cant WE, the costumer, remember when the customer was always right, why can’t WE determine our shipping method?? Ya know, the good ole days when shit made sense, my God I sound more and more like my poor deceased mother! LOL

So yeah, hey PTB, GIVE US SHIPPING OPTIONS!
Oh, sorry I’m “whining” again...just thought folks with similar circumstances might find this informative...

EDIT: lest the trolls think I’m being “angry” ??? A big shout out to super Mary and the crack investigative crew at dead/rhino who are on it and trying to rectify this unfortunate situation. THANK YOU ALL, thanks to Dave, thanks to the folks who risk their life at the PO, thanks to the brave folks who ship, and work at the warehouse, and the super market, and the weed store, and the beer store, and bless Tiny Tim too! Hopefully I’ve covered everyone and checked all the PC boxes cause I’d hate to insult or upset anyone!
Where ever he goes the people all complain...wonder if St Stephen name is taken, if not I should change...

DBL EDIT: thanks Vguy, miss your awesome jokes, we need more laughter, “does anyone remember laughter”

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Yes.. give us or Dave's Picks.

Neither rain nor snow, how does that go?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I know why things are getting goofy....because super Mary stopped hand delivering them individually on her magic Schwinn bicycle! LOL Poor girl has to do everything around here!

LOL, reminds me of this commercial. You hockey nuts might remember this one!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GFaP4vp-5Xc

EDIT: Jim, I think it’s neither rain or snow or political corruption....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

I gotta say I am a little disappointed in this release. Pitch is off. It's slowed down. I haven't checked yet so I don't know if all songs are off, but the few I have checked are. Still glad to have it because I was at this show, but man...can't get the speed correct?

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Thanks for the chuckle Oro.....LOL.....Yep, remember it well. Wait, are we still allowed to say "hot girls"?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Was that an orange dog story?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

So far listened through Fire. I'll have to listen again, but my experience was the band didn't take off in the first set until the Let it Grow. Jerry really wailed on that. That was my frequent experience at the shows, the band often took a while to warm up in the first set. Jer continued with scorching solos on Fire. His voice is really craggy, maybe he had a cold that night, but he could still play with fire.

I have no problem with the bonus tracks, even when they are out of order on the second and third discs. Heck, that's practically a whole second set from the previous night as bonus material! I'm all in on that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

Yup..no updates on this end..I pm'd Marye who said she would pass the info on to Doc Rhino..she's seems like a great gal BTW..I did get an email from dead.net last night, all it did was provide me with the same tracking info I have and had given to Marye.. So idk..I also got an email from USPS..as I opened an inquiry there to see what might have happened to it..just got the standard we will look into response...SIGH...all I can do is give it a couple days I guess.. Then try calling dead.net like you did. Hope they made some back up copies..

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by deadtony

....this is not a drill.
On a positive note, Daves out for delivery. Thats about all I got.
I didn't ask to be named senator, but if the shoe fits.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

In reply to by deadtony

ups says my pkg was accepted at my local post office on 8/3. today is 8/7 and still nothin. arghhh. nothing left to do but wait. i emailed dead customer service but deadtony's story is exactly mine as well. fingers crossed we all get delivery soon. peace all

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Add this to your needs: Black Sabbath "Paranoid" 50th Anniversary on 5 LPs now available for preorder from Rhino.
My original copy was STOLEN, so I have an excuse.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

On my second listen, and I got to say I like I it...Sound quality is excellent...Cumberland, Wharf Rat, Terrapin, China-Rider, what's not to like? Somebody mentioned the pitch is off, and it seemed slowed down, but I don't hear it.....

Thirty-five Dave's Picks and I've yet to be disappointed....keep em coming!

Now if we could just get that 80's Ventura/Frost/Greek Box Set by the end of the year.....am I right Billy the Kid??

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... I listened to the first disc repeatedly all afternoon with a grateful grin, I believe it may have taken a few numbers to get warmed up but I don’t really think it was from “let it Grow” onward. I really dig the “Cumberland blues, ‘little red rooster”, my brother assume” & it must of been the Roses is pretty primo for my taste. I do wish Brent was a bit more upfront in his keyboards and vocals, but this is 1984 , not spring 90 Brent or the other band members as well. But it’s a pretty grateful performance for the spring of 84’ !
My biggest disappointment came with the ‘sugar magnolia’ performance! Not one of their better versions, I some points , I start making weird faces listening to this take! I love the Morning Dew though, Jerry is in fine voice and playing guitar!!! 🙏❤️💀🌹

Love dat sheet, one of my favorite first sets ever!

7/14/85...not familiar....must go there!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

...including 35 which I've listened to twice so far...

1) Thelonious Monk - Misterioso
2) Boss Of The Blues: Big Joe Turner Sings Kansas City Jazz
3) Chuck Berry - After School Session
4) Santana III Deluxe Edition Disc 2 live at Fillmore West
5) DaP 35....

Damn captchas are back!!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In all of the years as a subscriber (since the get go,) and with all of the box-sets and other releases I have ordered, I have yet to have any issue. Of course, I have never been expecting to receive a release 6-months deep into a world-wide pandemic. It does bother me that my friend who lives just over a mile away (albeit in a different ZIP) received his on Tuesday.

Oh well. Hopefully it will come unannounced today, or it will be waiting for me on Friday when I get back from my trip.

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...since it was sent from the Mother Ship. I'm thinking all good things in all good time. I have a sneaking suspicion it's getting closer (to my home). Stay well, all and have a grateful day!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just got back from vacation and missed this whole release of 4/19, 4/20
83, 84, 85 I went to many shows. Did this whole spring tour. I have thought for years how underrated the pre-coma years have been. Always loved 4/20/84 and wondered why there have been very few vault releases from this era. Great news!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Today's tracking report: "08/08/2020 8:47 A.M., San Antonio, TX, United States. Package routed to wrong post office. Package will be transferred to correct post office for delivery." Pretty nutty. My Dave's was only 2.5 hours away in Midland this past Wednesday (San Antonio's almost 7 hours away). Cut hours & staff, increase volume, overlay with a pandemic, and, voilà!
Lessee. . . I'm one of the few Texans who can vote by mail if I so choose. Hmmmmm. . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

twilight zone shipping hoped for yesterday, but tracking updated today and was in box this morning in Ohio. Just starting...not sure the time dif but looks like all the filler tracks could've been just added to the end? oh well (PGFM) its all here and its all grate...

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

For those who haven’t spent all their money yet. These two boxes are due out in September.

Fleetwood Mac 1969 - 1974
Hard Luck Stories 1972 - 1982 - Richard and Linda Thompson

Big Brownie - that speaks to my condition. I got the cd box a few years ago which I think has all the same music on as this vinyl box. So I'll probably pass this by. See how much it costs, anyway...One of the first albums I ever bought back in 1972.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

Band is on fire, Love the mid 80's influence on Brent and the group's sound. Jerry's guitar work is amazing but his singing is unfortunately pretty shot here, as rough as i've ever heard him. I'm not sure i can move past this for future listenings. Bummer as I was really looking forward to this.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

* Grateful Dead
08/01/1973
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ

Dark Star ...
El Paso ...
Eyes Of The World ...
Morning Dew
* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRPTlfVodw&fbclid=IwAR0sb4ks-IAEWVn0Omg2…

Dark Star through Morning Dew is from a crisp SBD remastered by David Gans:

Soundboard ... 7.5ips Master Reel ... Cassette ... 20 bit A/D ... CDR

* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRPTlfVodw&fbclid=IwAR0sb4ks-IAEWVn0Omg2…🙏❤️💀🌹

***** Grateful Dead - 8/01/73 - Dark Star _ El Paso _ Eyes of the World _ Morning Dew!
*** This is some amazing primo Grateful Dead Music, enjoy everyone, have a grateful day everyone! 🙏❤️💀🌹

I hear ya'; thought Jerry's voice on Scarlet was just about the worst I heard him, really depressing; that was enough for me to skip that release, even though the playing's hot(pitch being off is another bummer, you'd think they could get that right.) Glad others are enjoying it though. I can't get past 67-82.

As always, it's a matter of opinion; for me Comes a Time, for example, has to have both good vocals and great guitar. I just can't deal with Jerry's ravaged 84/85 voice, he did improve post 87.
Although according to Fat Freddie, a great guitar solo will get you through times of bad vocals, better than great vocals will get you through times of a bad guitar solo. Enjoy 35!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

For those hanging in there, good luck. I hope it arrives post haste for y'all. I am ripping now and enjoying the gratuitous 4/20 pick, regardless of the typo on the back! Stay healthy all! :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Cousins - I am impressed that you can get up to 82! I am looking forward to this release, though. I'm currently going through the summer 71 shows I have, and they are red hot. I know its wrong to compare, but if this new Pick arrives any time soon-maybe I'd best just finish the 71, have a Dead break, and then start with a clean slate with DaP 35.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html