• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Still nothing. USPS says no package ever arrived to the local center. UPS won't discuss it. Not their problem. Last info they have is that package was dropped to local usps center on Monday morning. Dead.net wont help. They just say wait. Very frustrating.
Bright side is a realy nice nugget of Dylan/Band from 74 I had not heard until today. Lots of great stuff in the pile when you start to dig.
Stay safe everyone..

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Huskerwing

Keep holding on bro...my tracking finally updated at like 2am this morning..I got the package today in the mail.. It still must of sat at the post office all week. Hopefully you'll get it on Monday. Fingers crossed for you man!

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Shipping notice on 7/29, received it on 8/8 ( California to Arizona). So much for 3 Day Select! But, I have to say, I love it! Great performance - great recording! Yes, Jerry's voice is starting to go, but still good!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

NHL underway, which is good. So far, all the players have tested safe and sound. Hopefully they can finish it out and get the season over.

Speaking of delivery dates ... I've posted before that it's usally 2-3 weeks following Shipping Notice arrival that product actually arrives in Regina, SK, which frankly I think it's reasonable given that the product is crossing an Intaternational border which is physically non-existent and when you consider all the checks and balances that goes along with transporting goods across International borders. That said, since time stood still in March-April, anything I've ordered from Dead.net has taken 7-9 weeks to arrive. I'm now beginning to understand the frustration and emotional torment of our European Deadheads who seem to experience interminal waits with each release. I guess my point is that whatever I order stll arrives, albeit later than I would like or reasonably expect. Such is life thes days, unfortunately. Look on the bright side however - the Flames have advanced and are ready to make run for the Cup!

Looking forward DaP 35 whenever it arrives!

Last 5:

Grateful Dead (DP#27, 12/16/92) - as I type, starting Dics 2
Abbey Road (Re-mastered)
Jason Isbell - Southeastern
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
Porkupine Tree - Deadwing

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Lift off with “Let it Grow” on this release. Rippin’!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by deadtony

Thanks man. No update to tracking this morning. I use Informed Delivery with USPS so I can see what is coming my way in advance. I also signed up for updates to the tracking number at USPS which still says "waiting for package" as it did on 8/3. Maybe tomorrow. ...... It's weird to read so many comments about how the USPS is slowed to a halt for the various reasons when in general I have not seen this at all. I ordered a new fishing hat from a place in California a few days ago. Got tracking, followed the package, they warned it could take extra time but it didn't. I just ordered a new SYF beanie from back east somewhere. It's tracked in my ID at USPS and moving along, no slow down at all. Wife has a birthday package coming. Same deal. Everything seems to be working fine for us with the mail, UPS, Fed Ex, Amazon (1 day for nearly everything, got the Workingman 50th in less than 24 hours yesterday after this thread reminded me I had not ordered it yet,thanks!!!!).

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I have to concure! ‘Let It Grow’ Is a Primo Performance!!! Takes off like a rocket & never looks back! A prime example for 1984 Dead !
🙏❤️💀🌹
Dave’s Picks #36 - Pigpen! “Please sir , I want some More!” 🤠

user picture

Member for

8 years

... listen to the dead’s primo performance of, “Little Red Rooster” , PLAY IT LOUD!!!” LOvE IT!

user picture

Member for

8 years

List’n Early Before To This Primo Performance! 🙏❤️💀🌹
* Grateful Dead
08/01/1973
Roosevelt Stadium
Jersey City, NJ

Dark Star ...
El Paso ...
Eyes Of The World ...
Morning Dew
* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRPTlfVodw&fbclid=IwAR0sb4ks-IAEWVn0Omg2

Dark Star through Morning Dew is from a crisp SBD remastered by David Gans:

Soundboard ... 7.5ips Master Reel ... Cassette ... 20 bit A/D ... CDR

* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzRPTlfVodw&fbclid=IwAR0sb4ks-IAEWVn0Omg2…🙏❤️💀🌹

***** Grateful Dead - 8/01/73 - Dark Star _ El Paso _ Eyes of the World _ Morning Dew!
*** This is some amazing primo Grateful Dead Music, enjoy everyone, have a grateful day everyone! 🙏❤️💀🌹

....We Miss You Jerry. Tis well known, but I will continue to shout it from the mountain tops to echoing it in the valleys and everywhere in between.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Great last five!! Deadwing is a CLASSIC in my book. Can’t go wrong with Jason Isbell, and Abbey Road?? No comment needed!!

My Last 5:

Dave’s #1-5/25/77-It Plays Perfectly!!
Elton John-10/21/80 Seattle
The Cowsills-Painting The Day
Jaco Pastorius-6/28/82-D.C. Blues Alley
Paul McCartney-Flaming Pie-2CD RE-master

Life is good, despite the carnage all around.
Stay safe, stay healthy. Stay Dead.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

VGuy, I will confess. A friend gave me Kanye's Late Registration a while back, in an attempt to get me to listen to some music that happened AFTER 1990. I tried it, and liked it! Dug it out about two months ago, and enjoyed it so much again that I went and purchased My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which is one of his best, according to the Interweb. Haven't had time to put it on yet, what with Dead/Garcia CDs arriving seemingly weekly as of late.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Enjoying this release much more than I thought I would.
Even Jerry's craggy, weary vocals somehow seem just exactly perfect.
Maybe it's because everything looks and sounds fresh and new each day I'm still here that I'm not supposed to be.

Love and light, y'all.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Indeed a great show and Jer's birthday. A two-nighter with The Band only two days after we got back from Watkins Glen. On Aug. 1, the crowd parted to allow a guy with a woman on his shoulders to approach the base of the stage and transfer a b-day cake to, I think, a roadie who took it backstage. Jer and the boys were already on stage and Jer definitely thanked the woman in front of everyone. Got a big cheer. And yes, the show was hot. They did that sandwich thing, which was to play a "regular song" during a monster jam and then return to the monster jam as if nothing had happened. Great prankster fun! Man, that was a l-o-o-n-g time ago! Still feeling a little crispy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by juddcbrown

....from current to past.
Workingman's 50th
GarciaLive 13 w/ bonus
GOGD Hartford Civic Center 3.18.90
GarciaLive 11
GOGD Fillmore East 5.15.70
And, to be fair to deadheadbrewer, I also checked out some Kanye. Stronger is decent, albeit he takes liberty with some Daft Punk samples. POWER was also pretty good.
That being said, he had Mickey Mouse and Bernie Sanders "sign" his eligibility ballot. This isn't a drill.
Need more Grateful Dead.

. I gotta get down. Gotta get down.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Finally found time to listen to this and oh my is this great! Personally found the jam on Estimated into Terrapin to be absolutely mind blowing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Mines literally been sitting at my local post office since last Monday. It's now officially been sitting for a week sitting at the acceptance.

In fact I haven't received any of my mail in over a week now, including bills. Supposed to be getting my license renewal as well. Glad I have my passport for a valid ID at least.

No fault of anybody employed by the Dead or mail carriers. I know my state in particular is under attack by political forces. Crazy times.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Mine has apparently been a mile up the road at the local PO for 8 days now. If the routing is to be believed. Don't gimmie this shit about Covid either. I've had multiple packages arrive in 3 or 4 days. All of my stuff gets here like normal. It's only the Dead stuff that lies in limbo. I even had a bottle of hot sauce from New Zealand get here under two weeks. Two weeks from New Zealand folks...
An eternity from Cali? Dead.net...you're broken. WTF?
Goddamnit..I don't want to be posting here anymore but I'm agitated as fuck...again...about the poor shipping. WTF

For many years, one of my favourite late night listens has been Tangerine Dream. So peaceful I usually fall asleep after about 20 minutes. Consequently I am very familiar with the first half of their cds, and quite unfamiliar with the second half.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

I too got stuff from New Zealand in less time than my dead stuff :-)

My slippers got here in 7-10 days.

Didn't know NZ made hobbit sauce,,, makes sense :-)

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Greetings my brother and sisters, hoping everyone is well and staying strong during this difficult life altering epidemic peace be with you all.
Rock on! And play it loud! 🙏❤️💀🌹. Which do you prefer ?
Dave’s Picks #35 or 10/12/1984 Augusta Civic Center, Augusta, ME ...released in “30 Trips Around The Sun” Boxset ?! Can you choose your favorite one?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A new week and mine is still sitting at the local post office with the rest of my mail and no way to get it. Trump isn't letting me get my mail.

Can tptb make it possible to send a download link for this release to me as the govt is holding it up. Its nobodies fault here, but if my mail is all going to be held up until November...or until the election cycle passes, at least I could listen. Even streaming it would be cool.

Again nobodies fault here. This is truly f-cked.

If my bills end up late I'm sending my finance charges directly to Trump.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...here’s to everyone having a grateful day today, peace be with you all! Rock on!

.. my last five listens, are all Original Vinyl LPs Mint Condition from my record collection or other wise noted CDs as well .🙏❤️💀🌹
#1 ‘The Crow’ Original “Soundtrack” LP
This is a primo Release! I love it!
#2- ‘DIcks Picks #26 , An excellent 1969 Dead performances, release was from Dicks Picks Series Taken from two shows, on 26 April 1969 at the Electric Theater, Chicago and 27 April at the Labor Temple, Minneapolis.. CD 1 Dupree's Diamond Blues 26 Apr 1969 Mountains Of The Moon 26 Apr 1969 China Cat Sunflower 26 Apr 1969 Doin' That Rag 26 Apr 1969 Cryptical Envelopment 26 Apr 1969 The Other One 26 Apr 1969 The Eleven 26 Apr 1969 The Other One 26 Apr 1969 I Know It's A Sin 26 Apr 1969 Turn On Your Lovelight 27 Apr 1969 Me And My Uncle 27 Apr 1969 Sittin' On Top Of The World 27 Apr 1969 CD 2 Dark Star 27 Apr 1969 Saint Stephen 27 Apr 1969 The Eleven 27 Apr 1969 Turn On Your Lovelight 27 Apr 1969 Morning Dew 27 Apr 1969.
#3- 10/12/1984- from the 30 Trip’s Boxset! Another primo release from the fall of 1984! * media/ CD
#4 Dave’s Picks #35- media/ CD
#5 ‘Garcia Live’ Volume 14 - media/ Vinyl LP’s
Plus the Bonus Disc included with the Garcia 14; primo release, I love the whole set & the vinyl is beautiful sounding; great mastering !
🙏❤️💀🌹
Have a grateful day my brother and sisters!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Always glad to see you pop in again.

Judd--another Grey Duck on the chat board, eh? :) I did receive a booklet. If you send me your e-dress via private messages, then I can scan the booklet and send you a copy. When there's live music again we should meet up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Laughing at DaveRock’s comment about nodding off to Tangerine Dream at night, because I have the same issue if I lie down to Mile’s In A Silent Way - only 3 (extended) pieces, but usually after “Shh/Peaceful” it’s lights out!

As for Dead.net shipping and all round postal nightmares, I wondered why no notice about DaP 35, and it appears The Factory has cancelled my 2020 Subscription - this year keeps giving and giving. The fine customer service people have kindly request offered to “expedite” my request, as they always do, so who knows, this may be the end of the line for ordering from this site again. Too bad, because up until maybe two years ago, it was working like a Swiss clock, but now it is changing warehouses/slowdowns from Covid blah blah blah. Not affecting other dealers, not to this degree. Regardless, I’ll see where this “expedition” goes, but I feel for all who are waiting for the goods.

And the banter on this site is top notch, regardless, like sitting in a lecture hall with the most knowledgeable group of Graduate Deadheads who really know where all the bodies are buried! Keep well, all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

HI All! I too am experiencing the shipping issue. My DaP 35 has been sitting at the post office outside of Columbus, OH. since 8/3, about 3 hours away from the Burg'. The method Dead.net uses , at least for me, relies on UPS to complete part of the shipment only to transfer to USPS. USPS then does the final part of the delivery. Using the tracking number with UPS it states it is in transit from its current location in Ohio and updates are to come. Using that same tracking number with USPS it states no info can be provided.

Now up until recently, I have had of my most shipments sent to work. My Dave's subscription is one that I have not changed to my new address since the order was placed quite some time ago. I am heading into work tomorrow so it may very well be there. M company is sate of chaos so who knows though. My company is a non profit which I work in the largest program which is an approved private special education school. Sadly my organization and the school component has not come out the current virus situation with out some job causalities; there were layoffs. Prior to this the company had been making layoffs, but the school which had been the primary means of success and revenue was unscathed. Unfortunately the new corporate "leaders" have now turned their sights squarely on the school. it is likely I am in the next round of layoffs coming at the end of the school year, maybe sooner. I just hope the shipping vortex clears before then...

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

DP 35 #5608 of 22,000 dropped in my mailbox at 2:00 today! I wasn’t going to believe it until I held it in my hand, my wife was out cleaning up the yard and I spotted it in her hand, she was in no hurry to get it to me😬. If you haven’t gotten yours yet keep the faith, mine took an extra week and sat in Morrow, Georgia for a week and it’s only 30 miles away.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,

My Dave's 35 arrived last week and I've just had a chance to give 4/20 a full listen with a couple repeats. Great mid 80s show to my ears. I had never heard these shows before. I agree with others that the Let it Grow is great. I also enjoyed the Stranger, and Scarlet Fire is quite good. I like the show. Happy to get diversity of eras and I will be listening to this one a lot in the coming weeks.

A couple thoughts. I agree the tape sounds a bit slow. Seems to me like the release team here doesn't do pitch changes on the casette masters. Tape speed has been an issue on past releases from casette. I have to wonder if there is a conscious choice, to not change the document in that way??
In this case, the show still sounds good to me.

Spring 1984 tour has a unique sound to it. I really enjoy the sonics that Brent is putting out. Shows from this tour he is doing these long sustained sounds from his keyboard. Good fun.

The only other show from this tour that I have listened to is one of the Providence shows from a week later. Several years ago I dowloaded a copy from the Hunter's Trix matrix series. Great stuff. It opens with a Shakedown and Brent keeps releasing these deep sonic depth charges during that song - very unique version.

That Providence matrix also gave me one of most memorable listens from Dead shows. At the time, probably 8 years ago, I put that show on headphones at night before bed. During the Scarlet Fire I saw these really vivid visualizations of kaleidoscopic patterns and could feel myself in the space of the show itself. Dancing in the room, several rows back from the band - Jerry side of course.. It was a unique and powerful experience. I don't think anything other than the usual smoke was involved, though it may have been a pre-dream flashback of sorts. Anyhow, having listened to literally hundreds of dead shows, listening to that matrix of Providence 1984 is one that stands out. I recommend that show to folks wanting more after this release. Thought the setlist is similar.

Anyhow. Hope ya'll are hanging in there out there. Play it loud!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

I want to say a sincere Thank You to Dave and everyone else working on releasing Grateful Dead music.

I really enjoyed the Shakedown stream shows and interviews during this crazy year. Awesome entertainment. Buckeye Lake 93 was one favorite - heres to Ohio Dead and heads!

The new dead podcast is also excellent. I love the deep dive on Workingmans.

I really appreciate all of this high quality music and entertainment in a time when positive vibes are needed.
Thank you Dave. Thank you Dead.net
Gratitude

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by estimating prof

I agree. There are a few cassette master releases where Charlie Miller has an edge on pitch correction and perhaps a few other tricks as well. I'm no expert though, I wonder who or what decides what the correct speed is? Speaking above my pay grade, there is probably some subjectivity in it???

Anyway.. hoping to get my hands on this soon. Wow.. after this it's the last release of the season...

It's actually the universal A note at 440 Hertz that dictates proper pitch, every instrument's tuning on stage is based on that standard. It's apparent when you try to play along with an instrument.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The arrival of GarciaLive 14 & bonus disc this morning prompted me to check the tracking of DaP 35. I had received the shipping mail from the DeadNetStore on 7/31. On 8/6 the small package had reached the UPS facility in Fontana, CA. Yesterday evening 8/10 it moved across the city to the USPS facility in LA. It is now allegedly in transit to its destination, which is the CD player in my living room. Hopefully it will take no more than 2 weeks to cross the pond, but there are no guarantees on that. Still, I do now have GarciaLive to listen to and Bear's recent Commander Cody release is also on its way. A veritable cornucopia of aural delights!

Head13 - it must have been annoying seeing your wife cleaning up the yard with Dave's Picks in her hand. Much better if she had run in in with the cd to give it to you as soon as it arrived , before returning to her chores. Women! (only joking, of course!)

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

Yeah Daverock to her credit we are trying to sell our house and she was cleaning up some stuff in the yard and yeah she doesn’t appreciate music or the Dead the way I do but after 34 years of marriage we pretty much know all our quirks and we laugh about them, and yeah I knew you were joking cause I was too in my post, I’d literally be lost without her. At 62 I need all the help I can get. LOL

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

... how about an open tuning of E? Just wondering.🙏

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Everything is dictated by the Eh? note.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html