• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I have owned this show for years and gave 4-20-84 a thorough re-listen when it arrived. I really liked the Boise ‘83 release that Dave did last year but this show simply sucks in my opinion. Sure, Jerry’s guitar tone is great and prefaces early 90s sounds but his voice sounds terrible, he forgets key lines in the big songs and the setlist is average at best (double Berry closer with Day Job encore?!). I’m sorry but Lemieux’s main job is to be discerning and this shows a lack of taste and discernment- easily the worst Dead release since Dick started opening the vault for us. Sorely disappointing. If he wanted to release an April ‘84 show, what about 4-1-84 Marin or 4-14-84 Hampton? Both blow this Philly shitbird out of the water.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Received my copy last week during a staycation so I was able to sit down for two full listens. Say this about ’84, the year contains some fabulous transitions. This release included (the Scarlet>Fire and the previously mentioned Estimated>Terrapin). In fact, when I was done with the second run through, I immediately spilled my ears on to the Greek Theatre shows from July.

For the sound, this is my preference for 80’s releases. Phil’s bass isn’t quite as defined but the vocals mesh much more comfortably into the mix. Many 80's recordings seem to play out this way. When there’s a good balance, the distinction between the instruments isn’t as pronounced. It’s still all there though, just more blended. But when there is clear separation, like in DaP 37 '83, those vocals…. well, best to have the volume button on the remote in good condition. Or just listen with headphones.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I got to listening to the bonus second set from the previous night. That China>Rider is excellent. Jer's voice sounds better, and they sound a little tighter. Here's hoping you all get your copies soon.

Latest spins besides DaP 35:

Gene Clark - No Other
Boston Music Hall 6/11/76
Tampa Florida 12/19/73 - DP1 Due to conversations recently on this forum
Miami Florida 6/23 74 - DaP 34 and the bonus cd
Port Chester NY 2/19/71 - TFTV
Postcards of the Hanging - Dead play Dylan
Commander Cody - We've got a Live One Here!

Stay well folks!

user picture

Member for

13 years 8 months

DP35 was delivered today. Shipped 7/29, arrived at local USPS office on 8/3 finally to my door on 8/10. guess you just have to wait.....bizarre times indeed

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Vguy,

Very excited about the Stanley Cup Playoffs starting up. TB got a bit of redemption against the Blue Jackets tonight. What a game. Props to Seth Jones. That guy is a jammer. Good luck to your Golden Knights.

My Red Wings got jobbed in the lottery and both of my backup teams (Sabres and Oilers) are out. Still loving it.

Just remember, both the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Titanic look great until they hit the ice.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

...still waiting!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

... match the number of Dick's Picks. That's just nuts. Odds on it being a Fall 1972 show to provide symmetry with that unbelievably epic final Dick. And that one was one that Dick Latvala always wanted to release, maybe they have another one from that fall 11/19/72, for instance.

Anyhoo, my 35th Pick arrived today, two days earlier than the estimate that became live yesterday said. Went from "label created, not yet in system" or something for what a week, so this wasn't USPS, other than crappy tracking updates, but that's been par for the course with COVID-19 and now LeJoy willfully destroying people's faith in the postal service that predates us as a country. Benjamin Franklin took his job seriously as Postmaster General. As did Wilford Brimley, by God! But, alas, receiving my subscribed release in the mail 10 days after release date has become the average, COVID, no COVID. Jerry Garcia Family got me a release in a timely fashion in COVID. Owsley Stanley Foundation as well. Real Gone got me Dick's 26 vinyl from July 25 order to August 10 delivery, and I believe it went on sale the day before. Workingman's Dead was delivered by the world's richest man less than 48 hours after purchase, as no info at all came from dead.net's tracking email for about 8 days after release date, and I bought that on pre-order the day it went on sale. It's not USPS.

That rant done, it's finally here and I listened to Scarlet Fire as I cooked salmon for the first time and had my first taste of this show. Avoided Listening Party for first time, and was pleasantly surprised. Will listen to more later. Would have been nice to have this for the Days Between, had time then...

*cough11/19/72cough*

After a few days in Los Angeles mine left San Francisco yesterday and today it has left Heathrow. Let’s hope it stays here and arrives soon.
Not been listening to much over the past few days. I’m rewatching The Sopranos instead.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

I'm holding hope that someone in Europe get's there's before I get mine. That would make my day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yes, Red Wings got screwed by the idiocy of the draft system once again. You can’t even justify how a team that was in the Qualifiers gets 1st pick. Teams that made the Qualifiers should have not been in the lottery.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

mine has been sitting an hour away from me for 8 days now, so says the tracking number - ugh... Today please?

I am with you Jim, still don't have mine. Yes, that is great they are making their way to Europe.

The free shipping with the early bird subscription is great, however, it may be time to also offer some sort of standard shipping at a fair price. I would pay.

This UPS Surepost is by far the worst shipping method in the US. It is also the cheapest.

Sounds like most are enjoying this pick and I am looking forward to it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

.....Golden Knights kicked Chicago's ass, even with our goalie losing his left skate blade......twice!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

But

In 2020, a streaming or downloading or instagramming alternative/option should be available.

I am insanely lucky that I havent had a two month or more wait for delivery ("I wait for delivery each day until 3")

But

Plenty of others have been in the turd canoe of shipping.

GD produces the product
Others buy the product
The 3 stooges deliver the product
Eventually
Or not at all

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The Wings are my team too. I grew up just north of Detroit and they won their first cup since 1955 in '97 when I was a senior in high school. Konstantinov was my favorite player in those days.

I was bummed by the lottery too but I understand it. You don't want teams to tank to go after those top one or two picks and this prevents that.

Now that Stevie Y is back I think he's going to build a good team. And we'll still get a good player at 5 or 6 or wherever we pick.

I love that joke about the Titanic. I'm definitely going to steal that one.

Still waiting for my Dave's 35. I agree with Jim, i'm hoping someone across the pond scores this before I do for posterity.

I recently picked up the following, which will keep me occupied:

1. Garcia Live 14
2. Rough And Rowdy Ways - Dylan
3. Skaggs and Rice - Duet Recordings
4. David Grisman Quintet - DGQ - 20 (3 cd set)
5. John Zorn - Nove Cantici Per Francesco D'Assisi - Julian Lage, Bill Frisell and Gyan Riley

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I watched most of that game. The Hawks are my home team now. Crawford let in a couple of really soft goals. One off the blocker and another short side. The 4th Vegas goal was an absolute beauty - backhand top shelf that god herself would have had trouble stopping.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I wish I had an open window into Rhino's finance situation, all I can do is speculate.

They did try the Download Series a decade or so ago and I have to think it crapped a stinky revenue terd. I mean.. the only difference between those who buy it and those who get it from a friend for free is the person that bought it was out $25.99 or whatever it was they charged. Well, there is Karma too..

So there just isn't any money in the pot to spread around to the mastering wizards to do their sorcery on the ancient master reels.

So my take, keep in mind I have no data to support this, is that the CD process they currently use leaves enough meat on the bone to make these old reels come to life and give us the best sound they possibly can. I do think this music is worth putting as much as humanly possible into making it sound as good as humanly possible.

So here were are. The price we have to pay to have state of the art restoration and mastering.

My take on the current shipping situation and all things 2020 is just get through the damned year alive, healthy and hopefully solvent and write it off as a character building event. Oh, and for heaven's sake don't get arrested or in trouble with the law. :D

Thank god we have some really good Grateful Dead to see us through. I was thinking what show of the day to suggest the other day (and this morning). I didn't want to pick anything that had been released and wanted to skip around and get away from some of the oft picked years and it dawned on me, most of the shows I had been longing for have somewhat recently been cleaned up and released. How cool is that? (except of course 12/18/73 and a few choice others-but I think 12/18 has already been picked as the show of the day).

user picture

Member for

6 years

Hopefully this is ok to post here but if anyone wants my copy of Daves 35, Ill sell it for $35 ( face value + shipping). The playing is fine but I cant get over the vocals - both Bob and Jerry sound whack to me on this one and it wont get played again, so if you want it. its yours. We can figure out a way to connect offline and exchange info for any potential sale through PayPal.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by SteveGold425

GD vocals have always been iffy to me. 88? 89? 85? 74? 69? Would I shun 72 73 74 simply because of the Donna factor (love you, Donna)? Not me.

Respect to people who dont get off on dap35, but the ending jam on "feel like a stranger" is enough for me to say, "screw the vocals, full speed ahead!"

user picture

Member for

6 years

In reply to by proudfoot

If there were 3 discs of just the Feel Like a Stranger jam, I would have this one in rotation. I know the Dead are not known for their vocals, but to my ears this one is a vocal trainwreck - even Brent cant round out the sound. And hey, Donna just popped in here and there as a backup or for her primal Playing screech, but I just cant with this release with both lead singers sounding so poor. Couldnt even finish the Terrapin from the bonus material. Anyway. if you know someone who wants a copy, feel free to claim mine

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

not my favorite year but this sounds good, would have rather had an 85 if we were going to do some wasted Jerry shows. I really don't like how they did the disc/song organization, but who am I to say how to put out a cd. I just would have done it differently.
Last 5
James Gang Bang
Teaser Tommy Bolin
Pink Floyd Relics
Dave's 35
Humble Pie Smokin

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So I got my copy two days ago. It took 10 days to get to me, usually in the past it would take 3 or 4 days tops. I believe the issue with the delays are the political climate we are in with the mail in vote concerns.

We do need to be given an option when we buyIng the subscription for shipping, when the DAP series began we were given options, I used to select the UPS 2 day.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

The Vladinator. Great player. What a tragic story.

That's when I started following the Red Wings. I was still a Sabres fan at the time, but loved the Detroit style of play. Actually, the Russian style of play. Superior skating, passing and stick handling. Bowman knew what he was doing putting together the Russian Five. Sergei Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Vyacheslav Kozlov, Vladimir Konstantinov and Viacheslav Fetisov. We used to call them the "Off" line.

I was fortunate enough to see Team Russia play the NHL All-Stars at MSG back in 1979. After a slow start, the Russians schooled the NHL boys. The Russians controlled the puck and the NHL guys simply could not get it away from them. That goon Barry Beck got so frustrated that he took a vicious boarding penalty against one of the Russians and was promptly booed by his own fans. It changed my view of how hockey should be played. A year later that same Russian team lost to a bunch of college kids up in Lake Acid.

How about the return of the classic Sabres' jerseys? Those are some sweet looking sweaters.

Finally, an oldie but a goodie. How do you know it is springtime in Toronto? The Leafs are out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hope everyone's making out okay in surreality-land. #7226 arrived here late yesterday and I'm calmer already . . .
Just finished working on the scan I did of Dave Kloc's cover for Dave's 35:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ikmmjygrb7h2yg/Dave%27s%2035%20Cover.jpg?dl=0 Bon appétit!
If you need cover art for any other Dave’s including the annual Bonus CDs, here's what I came up with:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl…

Now, for a first listen to 4/20/84. Let the music play! Onward.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Duece

why are all the shipping issues are a subject here in the forum?
Don't we live in an advanced world in the 21first century? Everything was organized fine in the past and worked perfect in the last decades.
But recently, nothing seems to meet former standards.
Well, Covid 19 might disturb some procedures. But on the other hand, Am... and the Garcia store have no problems with shipping. Two to three weeks shipping time is even in these strange days a good standard (same as it was before Covid) for shipping to Europe. And I understand (and accept) the extra times for checking through the customs office.
Did I do anything wrong?
G.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

If you haven’t seen it, watch the movie “The Russian Five”.
I bought the DVD, it’s $14.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

We do live in an advanced world in the 21first century, but unfortunately for many different reasons everything is crumbling and nothing works as well as it used to. Because there are so many reasons for this decline, I am not overly optimistic that anything can be done about it, even if there was a will to act. Here the problem currently manifests itself as a failure of postal systems but before that it was dud discs that were the popular topic for complaint on here. All we can do is tough it out and hope we get what we desire, in all good time of course.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Duece

While the slow delivery is one thing I throw on trumps's new postmaster general but Im still without a tracking number. Dead.net's customer service has no idea what is going on other than to say my order hasn't been shipped yet. Something is very broken at dead.net's warehouse.

Jim - did you receive a shipping notice yet? I have not.
Emailed customer service - they replied with a tracking number for Daves 34 and a link to UPS tracking and said they have no other information. The tracking number link says "Delivered May 6". Wow. What is going on? I can't believe this is all due to COVID.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is the first show I can think of when Jerry was singing sloppy but nailing it on the guitar. I was listening to Fire on The Mountain and his vocals were causing me to cringe. During that phase of his long strange trip, if the vocals were sloppy the guitar was usually sloppy. That was my experience, anyway. So my expectations were low until his first solo. Long and rambling, yes, but spot on top of those frets. Nice tone, too. How did he do it?

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I would absolutely pay a few extra dollars for a better shipping option. This UPS Mail Innovations handing off to USPS has become completely absurd. People waiting for 10 days, 2 weeks, and even longer in some cases is just ridiculous

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Unkle Sam that's the best "last 5" I've seen since one of my own... tee-hee. No but seriously that's some killer old school, and what with Tommy Bolin included I just had to give a shout. We named our youngest son Sam. He's 7 and has a mean baseball swing.

Be well everyone. Cheers!

I did get a shipping notice four days ago, so far the label has been created but it doesn't appear to have left the station. ...but the label was created which is awesome! (satire intended)

A few of these issues probably belong to the ongoing warehouse woes.. an ongoing disaster that dates date to the Music Today defunct warehouse. I am not sure the Garcia family production is tied up with all that.

Someone posted an article that details this problem, appears to affect a large percentage of the industry.

One other tidbit, they used to offer various shipping methods and it didn't seem to have any effect on when you got the package.. the folks that paid extra for expedited shipping got pretty pissed when all the people that opted for the cheap shipping got theirs first.

I'd rather pay five or ten bucks more for the subscription and have CD's that are not made from recycled Wrigley's gum wrappers and are not shipped via the pony express. That being said.. if they charged an extra ten bucks, it's hard to trust they would use the extra revenue to upgrade the overall quality. I hate to say this, but they need a little wakeup call and perhaps a little turnover at the very top.

One last comment, I have been waiting for most of these upgrades for 30+ years. It doesn't bother me to wait an extra couple weeks.. I am happy with the music, the restoration efforts and the remastering. So long as it gets here and sounds good.. it's all good with me.
#StopUsingFlimsyCrappyLowGradeCDsThatCorrodeAndDon'tPlaySoGoodAfterTenYears!
hehe.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by LedDed

Way to think and type outside the box.

Yes, I remember several years ago when people would pay extra for ‘expedited shipping’ and I would get mine before them.

Let’s stick with the free shipping for subscriptions, and start shipping 7-10 days before the ‘release date’.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

If TPTB would use regular UPS 2nd or 3rd Day Air with no UPS INNOVATIONS and no USPS handoff, it would be much better

Edit: They have been using regular UPS for the boxsets

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by adedhed68

I’ll take slow and free shipping for DaP subscriptions and paid shipping for Boxes.

Shipping delays are still better than defective CD’s.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still has a grudge against Phil for having his hair too long and it says Grateful Dead right on the package. No wonder it takes so long to get here! :-P
P.S. Either that, or Newman and Kramer are f'ing with the mail with one of their hare-brained schemes...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

📭💿🚐🚲🛴🛸

My first as well. Pre-ordered on 7/20, arrived today. Listened to discs 1 and 2 so far and this was worth the wait.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html