• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by snafu

....to keep me alive via the mail.
Taps head.
The fact that this virus is a political stance to begin with is pathetic. Fuck.
Look up the postmaster generals wiki. There you go.
This matters because we want our Daves.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. Believe the union president or take in the news and see what's happening. I don't work for the usps but interact with them daily. They are doing a damn good job all things considered.
I don't mean to start a fight but I felt the need to stand up for people doing a hard job under very difficult circumstances.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by snafu

....we've disagreed before. But I agree that there are factors that we cannot control. That needs to change.
Difficult circumstances....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I'm not denigrating the USPS...they're just doing as instructed. I have much respect for them and think the Postal Service is still one of the best, if not the best in the world.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think the biggest hold up is the mail innovation. They seem to send out "sent" notices when the word is given to ups. They then have to label and mail. I think they hold everything until the truck going somewhere is filled. You in the backwater, 400 packages a week, may take a week to fill. NYC, maybe trucks going everyday. Also UPS don't work no weekends. Mine got to UPS local Friday, but USPS won't see till Monday, Post Office will have it here next day!

Just for a chuckle, order new slippers from New Zealand got here in 1 week.

Bob had a line that spoke of his time there I believe....

The only decent thing I did when I worked as a postal clerk
Was to haul your picture down off the wall near the cage where I used to work

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

When I ordered the Comander Cody release from Bear's Sonic Journals,back in July, I received that in a week at the most. They get their stuff out real fast. I believe Im going to adopt one of their reels. I have had nothing but great service from them, and always a great product.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Listened to 8/2/69 while I cleaned up my garage today...enjoyable show, great sound quality, excellent suggestion.

It was more enjoyable getting stitched up in the ER this morning..

Then reading some of the political banter here. Glad you enjoy it. I'd rather gargle with cheap tequila mixed with broken glass. To most of us its a buzzkill.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

so it used to be somewhere in Tenn was where this journey would start...from there to Ohio to Phoenix to Flagstaff and then to me...for the first time ever it started in Carlsbad, CA and went to Salt Lake City...why it didn't go from Carlsbad directly to Phoenix I have no idea...this in itself will add two, maybe three days to getting it still...oh well...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by Dennis

I do a lot of business with ebay and amazon. I think the issue is with the seller. All the services mark it shipped when the seller notifies them they printed a lable. Ebay sellers are usually very good. But some are doozies. One guy marked an item as shipped then didn't give it to the po for 3 weeks. With all these delivery companies business is way up ( yes the most definitely jobs to be had) but for obvious reasons already mentioned they're having a tough time making goals
One other thing we all need to look in the mirror. We are so used to instant gratification we get freaked out if we don't have it now. That includes me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Last 5, I think.....

Stay Sick - The Cramps -"keep the rewards, I'd just as soon stay sick"-fine advice.
Baggy Rehearsals CD 1 and 2 - Jimi Hendrix
Magick Brother Mystic Sister - Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth
Spice Doubt - Ozric Tentacles -vey aromatic, this one.
and last but not least
Complete Recordings 1929-1934 CDs 1 and 2 - Charley Patton - a few snap crackles and pops on these-but if you can tune in you get transported to another world. Amazing.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Wooh! Checked the UPS tracking site this AM and i finally see updated location info for my #9274... should get to me in a couple days. That is a big refreshing SIGh of relief

very good show, great guests, always liked David Laflamme's violin 🎻 Great sb on archive, pick of the day?
Last five
see above
Montrose
Jade Warrior 1st & 2nd
David Bowie Aladdin Sane
Tangerine Dream In Search of Hades "Oedipus Tyrannus"
Randy California and Ed Cassidy Potatoland

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Like others my DAP has been sitting in Fontana, CA since the day it shipped last week. Same thing happened with WMD 50th, ended up taking 10 days to get to me.

Just for reference I ordered GarciaLIve 14, and I think I got it in 3 days. Don’t think it is USPS, probably Warner cutting costs.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Duece

Thanks Billy for bringing up the Ventura Anniversary dates....always had a blast...the '82 shows allowed camping in the parking lot and it was a wild scene as can be imagined...we had friends who had rooms at the nearby Holiday Inn which we made our base to shower etc...after that the folks I would go with camped at McGrath State Beach down the road in Oxnard...we had reserved campsites for five spots in '86 when the news broke about Jerry's illness...since we had folks from all over the country driving/flying in we decided just to go and invade the campground anyway...we drove in and set up on Thursday the 11th and stayed through Monday the 14th...Lots of others had the same idea so the campground rocked all weekend...one funny moment occured when I was walking with some of the Ladies to one of the restroom/shower areas and an elderly woman stopped me and asked very politely "Excuse me Sir but i can't help but notice there are a lot of you folks here wearing the same kind of T-shirts...are you some sort of club?" I told her "Yes Ma'am...we're a musical appreciation society gathered for the weekend"...she put her hand on my forearm and said "Oh how nice"...great great moment...Musically 7-18-82 had a great shimmering "Crazy Fingers" that I will never forget....

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Duece

My attempt at tracking gives this message

‘UPS could not locate the shipment details for this tracking number. Details are only available for shipments made within the last 120 days. Please verify your information.’

As I said yesterday any time in August will be great. At least my previous DaP’s have eventually arrived which isn’t the case for everyone. Of course, dead.net have us all over a barrel since they are the only source of the music.

To be fair, my Garcialive #14 was shipped on 17th July and tracking did nothing until 25th and 26th. Since then it has gone quiet. I expect it will turn up eventually.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

4/20/84 should arrive this week...maybe even today.

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Ventura was a blast, it was a non stop party. The Dead played alot of cool places in the 1980s , Ventura , Frost, Greek , Warfield, and the Marin Civic Center. I bet they played a lot of nice places back East, I never went further east than Nevada to see the Dead.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I don't know where my Dave's 35 is, but I got PLENTY of things to listen to(too many if you ask my wife!!)
I don't see a second box set this year(but maybe American Beauty will fit the(duck) bill.

Last 5:
Judy Henske & Jerry Yester-Farewell Aldebaran
Willie Nelson-Shotgun Willie(So Good!!)
Joe Beck & David Sanborn-Beck & Sanborn(CTI Label)
Bill Frisell/Jim Hall-Hemispheres
Mighty Baby-Day Of The Soup

Not gonna let anyone take my joy away.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Anyone know anyone who won the Jerry Sandals on Saturday?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My tracking info for both Dave's Picks 35 & GarciaLive 14 is identical to yours.

For Dave's Picks 35 UPS reports: "UPS could not locate the shipment details for this tracking number. Details are only available for shipments made within the last 120 days. Please verify your information."

And for GarciaLive #14 it was shipped on 17th July and tracking subsequently showed some action on 25th, then 26th when it departed the processing center.

I guess there is nothing to be done but tough it out.

Has anybody actually said that the anniversary of American Beauty will be coming out this year? In a way, it would make sense to hold it back until next year.
I assumed that 3/1/69 would be coming out on vinyl for RSD this year on the strength of 2/27 and 2/28 coming out the previous two years. Completely wrong. Unfortunately. But its not always easy to second guess what will happen next on the strength of what has happened in the past.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Maybe they are waiting for 2/28/69 to sellout , before they put out 3/1/69. I would think that American Beauty would come out in Oct since its original release date was in November, but you are going to have a Dave's Pick come out in Oct, so who knows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Less than 2 hours after I checked the status of my Dave's Picks 35 order and UPS couldn't locate the shipment details, the order has been processed and is on it's way to a UPS facility. Moving real slow, but moving...

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

0.0--The exact equivalent of my productivity this week. How does Boss Wormer expect me to telework this week with hockey on TV...all...damn...day?!?

Can they see my beer bottle and weed on this Zoom call? Did I just say that out loud?

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

One of the benefits of living a stones-throw from Salt Lake City....

DP35 # 20002 / 22000 arrived safe and sound

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I for one am looking forward to a good sounding and hot 80's show. Nice change of pace.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

It says mine was in Carlsbad on Friday. I wished they had called me, I could have picked it up. But it's gone now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My copy just arrived in Bensenville, I reckon by covered wagon. For all I know its somewheres betwixt Springfield and Shelbyville.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I encourage everyone to say whatever they want regardless of topic and express themselves freely. I enjoy all of you, even when you get a little salty. Our little forum here is a microcosm of society at large, even if it's usually a bit more pleasant than that.

The crux of the biscuit is the music of the Grateful Dead, and Jerry Garcia. But read an interview with Garcia or any of the guys in the band; it always ends up being a free-from improvisation that goes anywhere and everywhere, just like their music.

I see no reason why this forum should be any more controlled, restricted or censored than the actual source. Of course, deliberately being hurtful or hateful cannot be encouraged, but IMO all else is fair game.

Be well everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by LedDed

....Vegas Golden Knights won today 5-3. Twas a fair game.
I wish the MLB all the best, but they are screwing it up.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by LedDed

Back and forth politics? Anywhere but here. It never ends well. Take it to facebook or send PMs. You can say what you want here and no one is going to censor you for the most part.. but it's deflating to read political points and counter points haplessly snuck into a Dave's Picks thread. It's too far off topic and it turns most people off. It's the written, posted form of Brown Acid. Write it down, keep a journal.. save it up.. and bring it to your next Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws after a few bottles of wine where it belongs.

Any other topic less human sex trafficking and serial murders is welcome.

Tell me again why political banter belongs here and why we all come here to read about your political views?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Square peg, round hole.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I don't mind what people post on here. If I don't like the look of something, I just whizz past it. I can't ever remember being angry or annoyed about anything anyone's posted on here. Apart from when one poster is intentionally rude towards another. But I have probably been guilty of that myself in the past.

I wonder if lockdown has impacted on the type and range of subjects put forward for discussion. Certainly, my opportunities for talking to people face to face have reduced drastically over the last 4 months. Being single and having no family in the country ( as well as being an awkward bastard) it might well be next Sunday when I next speak to someone. So what I might once have said face to face might now spill out to an unexpected person- the postman for example- or on a forum not designed for that topic. Maybe we should all give each other a bit of leeway-at all times-but never more so than now.

USPS has been notified by UPS that UPS has a package with my name on it that they need to hand off to USPS.
Waiting for the hand off......

UPS, just call an audible and bring it directly to me. I know you are capable, your brown trucks come down my street everyday and my dog barks at them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Haha. My dog used to bark at the ups guy all the time. Then I started giving him a treat every time. He started spinning in circles at the front door

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html