• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Man.. where was this thing hiding when I was a teenager? Looks like fun in a bring your own helmet sort of way.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Don't know him, and have never done many non-alcohol drugs (came too late to the party, had too uptight an upbringing . . . ?), but I do regularly donate to the Drug Policy Alliance. As we are all too aware of, drug laws in this country have mostly been used to uphold the racist, classist hierarchy, rather than to enhance public safety or health.

https://www.drugpolicy.org/

As you were, or as you wish you had been . . .

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

You'll get a chance to vote for the man who for decades was one of the driving forces behind the drug war laws in the U.S. this November - Joe Biden, a man intimately connected with drafting and passing the drug war laws that lead to mass incarceration over the past 40 years. He still feels we need more information before talking about legalizing marijuana. Drug war zealots never change.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Give this a rest. Please. We heard you the last time this came up.

It's no fun reading words that pervert this forum and steer seemingly non-political comments into a political conversation and election advertising. This never ends well and just turns many of us off. Back and forth comments on politics just don't belong here and they are so easy to stay away from.

Round peg, square hole. In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, Good Grief.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Keep your political thoughts to yourself.

Thanks.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just a historical observation. Sorry for any trauma.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

.....which is good. You want to see vguy72 get pissed off? Tell me you run a puppy mill. Then you better be able to run. Fast. Because if i catch you, it's gonna hurt.
Anyway.....back to the Red Rocks 7.28.82 Anniversary.

Don’t have any info on either of them, just used them as a headline to get your attention.
;)

This website is still screwy, I have to be logged in to see current messages. Otherwise it’s about 12 hours behind.
This has happened before, when spammers were really active. We may have gotten a site rebuild after that episode. Count Vlad is still trying to abscond with the contents of the Vault.

Still no tracking info on my DaP35. The shipping notice says UPS 3 day select. I’m extremely skeptical of that statement.

I missed the 7-27-73 anniversary yesterday. Maybe my forgetfulness is a sign that Dave is prepping 27/28th for release?

A couple of years ago Floridabobolo brought to my attention Walkerswood jerk seasoning. Well Fla-bolo, wherever you are, I’m grilling Walkerswood chicken thighs tonight. Mmmmm.....

Cheers and beers folks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Got shipping notice today, looks like they are using UPS three day, moving away from Smartpost. Hopefully won’t take 10 days like the WMD 50 took. Looking forward to this release!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I’ve had the same issue with newer posts not showing up sometimes. I’ve found that if I go to page 2, scroll to the bottom, and click “first” as opposed to Pg. 1, it will immediately bring the posts up to date.
Not going to check on the progress of Dave’s 35, just going to wait to be pleasantly surprised.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Will try that.
Sometimes I want to lurk without logging in.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

According to the article, they don't know yet what to do with it, or who should be the custodian. If anyone's in contact with Sam Cutler or Bob, please let them know it wouldn't be a burden for me to keep it at my place; please have them set it up with a set of 10-46 strings prior to shipping - Thanks

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I'm curious why these Grateful Dead shoes are so expensive? Is Nike just putting out a very small limited edition of them? I see a pair on ebay going for $5,500.00.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The reason the shoes are so expensive is simply that people are prepared to pay that much for them. If nobody was willing to pay that much then nobody would try to sell them for such exorbitant prices. Seemingly there is one born every minute.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

I am beginning to wonder if that epithet applies to me regarding buying vinyl ! Its a beautiful day here on the East Coast...a Dead like day...and I felt like a treat....so I have just paid down for the Rare Cuts and Oddities album in that format. I only had it as a down load on a cd before, so...clunk click. Great Cream Puff War on here. Everything by the Dead in the 60s is essential, by my reckoning.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Any thoughts on a box set? This is the time of the year that MUATM happens, and we usually get a box set announcement. Maybe a box set focusing around the 50th of American Beauty?

Thinking the remastered studio album, outtakes, and 3-4 shows from 1970?

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I received my shipping notice email with the tracking number on 7/28. However, for two days now when I've tracked it all I get is "UPS could not locate the shipment details for this tracking number. Details are only available for shipments made within the last 120 days. Please verify your information." Anyone else getting this?

user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

In reply to by caution21470

Hey y'all

If it's helpful, the tracking #'s that are being sent, are USPS tracking #'s but link to UPS.com, so when you click on the link in the email it'll pull up UPS website and say tracking # not valid.

If you take that tracking # to USPS.com you can try tracking it, it still might not be in their tracking system either, as it doesn't get scanned along the way until it gets to the USPS, but typically with UPS 3-day: UPS starts with a master tracking # (usually starts with 1Z for example 1Z 999 AA1 01 2345 6784) and then delivers package to the USPS and then the USPS delivers it to you.

So, yeah.. I know it sounds a bit complicated and it's a bit glitchy, but just wanted to alert you that the tracking #'s won't give you a good read on UPS.com as they're actually USPS tracking #'s.

Done a lot of web store shipping and customer service in my day, and figured I'd help ease your minds.

Long story, but it's on it's way!

Get excited, play 4/21/84 while you're waiting, it's a smoker.

Best wishes

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by caution21470

....same on this end too. Whuddup with that??

Sixtus

P.S. Just seeing the explanation below - convoluted, but helpful!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

My shipping notice states UPS 3 Day Select shipping, but I'm pretty sure it is the UPS Surepost which provides for UPS to deliver to the local post office for the final leg of delivery by USPS. Amazon ships stuff using this system pretty regularly when I order things. My tracking number for this shows up at USPS as "USPS currently awaiting package" which is consistent with UPS Surepost since the USPS doesn't get the package until the day before delivery typically. If you are so motivated, you can sign up for UPS My Choice in which case UPS usually sends me an email letting me know when I have a package due to arrive the next day even without checking tracking numbers, and I'm pretty sure that I get this notice even when the shipping method is the UPS Surepost.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Charlie3

The tracking number without a ‘Z’ will show up in UPS tracking once they have the package in their possession. Mine took 2 days to go from Carlsbad to Fontana.
It now says “Package transferred to destination UPS mail innovations facility”.

It doesn’t give an expected delivery date.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....same here. No biggie though. I'd rather not know and just have it show up with no advance warning. Checking shipping progress three times a day gets exhausting.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Garcia #14 has landed in the Bay Area, Garcia acoustic all day everyday. Time to light the bbq and crack some cold Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. It's ribs and chicken today, nice way to spend the day.

Off topic...but was just listening to 6/9/77 and even though I've heard it a million times, Slipknot just totally blew me away (funny how a version you think you know inside and out can still hold some surprises).

Is there a version as powerful and energetic as that one? If so, send me some recommendations please.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Has landed my way, too, but sans the bonus disc! I know it was confirmed in the original order. ¡Ay Carumba! It must be the curse of 2020 that virtually every order has a snag. Damn you 2020, and your stinking virus! But a heck of a disc, all the same!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

My current favorite is the New Years Cow 12/31/76. More spacey than energetic, though...(like me nowadays)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Got my shipping notice and it said UPS THREE DAY....But when you track it is says UPS Mail interventions ( ups/usps )

So it will get from California to PA in two weeks ):

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Chuck

(conflating the last two posts)

Of hand, The Swing and Boston 77 and the infamous NYE 76.. but there are some pleasant surprises in '76, many on the June '76 Box Set.

Hampton '89 was nice too.

Honestly I have never met a Slipknot! I didn't like. My favorite cut on Blues for Allah, which says a lot as it's just a 4 minute little instrumental ditty.

We could fill several pages with talks of epic Slipknot!'s

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....one of the most fun Slipknot's I've ever experience in real time and person was Boston Garden, September 20, 1991; I was outta my HEAD and it was swirling-dervishly betweeen Jerry and 'ole Brucey into near madness (at least to my brain at the time) and then it took a most unexpected turn suddenly at it's conclusion into a one-time-only Fire On The Mountain. I was soooo expecting the Franklin's to pop out in that moment, I was utterly lost in the music and turned to my buddy and said...WTF song is this again???? And he was turned to me in mid-groove with a huge smile on his face and declared: "Fire Up The Ganja!". I will never forget that moment of total disorientation and utter exuberance.

https://archive.org/details/gd1991-09-20.149655.sbd.cm.miller.flac16

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I like the one from 8/13/75, but there are a lot of great ones.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

It's 2020, we are suffering through a pandemic - isn't it time that this series was downloadable? Every other band does it. Economics make sense for you guys and delivery is assured on release day. Last one and Workingman's 50 were both received 2 weeks after release and I'm in Texas.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by 80sfan

They opened the second night of the Wembley run - 10/31/90 with Help-Slipknot-Franklins. Possibly the best music of the run.
I listened to a show from 84 as background this morning-7/4/84, and that has pretty good version. My favourite, though, is the one you revisited, 6/9/77, closely followed by 5/9/77.

Help-Slipknot-Franklins is my favourite suite of songs post retirement. It would have been interesting to see how far they would have taken it had Bill been the sole drummer.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

8/15/75 was my first. Only one I owned for years. It's great but too short in hindsight.

12/31/76 - LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! Not too keen on the Slipknot! But it"s mentioned favorably by multiple people here, which means I'm not listening to it correctly. It's on my playlist for today.

I also love the Lindley Meadows version from Sept '75. Jerry has a somewhat unusual tone and distortion on his rig that day, I'm told because the Grateful Dead's PA blew out after the first song, so they had to borrow from another band (maybe New Riders?) No matter - the fuzz was intense, the tone was rich, the volume was loud, and the Slipknot was long.

They only played Help => Slip => Franklin 7 times in '77. Incredible. I guess with Estimated Eyes and Scarlet Fire in the set mix that year (and having played H/S/F 17 times in the 2nd half of '76, they must have needed a little break.

I think the Slipknots of1977 are very similar in structure and length compared to 1976, where they seem to vary the length a bit more and get more improvisational.

Not crazy about 4/23/77. They had Keith monkeying around with that Polymoog synth for a period in April and early May, and this version showcase is everything I dislike about that keyboard. Most band documentaries indicate that Jerry wanted Keith to play keyboards with more sustain. I didn't care for it. The man was an exceptional piano player who also transitioned nicely into a great Fender Rhodes player (which was great for the Dead sound in 73-74, along with the booming Grand Pie-anner).

5/22, 5/9, and 6/9 are all great, but I will be revisiting 6/9 after 80sFan"s remarks.

4/29 only exists as an AUD in my collection. The audio quality just isn't up to snuff for me so I've never listened to it.

10/11 /77 Road Trips - I was never crazy about the mix on this whole album. I don't recall anything special about Slipknot! except perhaps subpar mixing. May need to revisit it as well.

2/26/77 is my all time favorite. Jerry doesn't just catch fire on this one; he ignites a flamethrower and announces "Any man don't wanna get killed better clear on out the back..." And he precedes to take ownership of the stage, as if he had mentally reduced the band to his personal rhythm section. He seems louder in the mix then most versions to me, so hats off to Betty. If ever there was an instrumental where I just want to turn into Jerry, this is the one.

Of the official 1976 releases, I enjoy the Dave's Picks 28 Slipknot! more then any of the three on the 1976 box set from right around the corner. Just seems to rock out! DP 33 though split in two has some really cool creative parts to it. I enjoy this one a lot and it may be linked up was one of the top three Franklin's Towers.

And most important, and I guess I should say my all-time all-time all-time favorite was the last one they ever played which I saw live at the Knickerbocker Arena, Albany New York, June 22nd 1995.

For more on Slipknot! than you could ppssibly ask for:

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2018/12/help-on-way-slipknot-franklins-t…

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I think I spent the whole day in the beer garden, I was pretty beat from the day before. The crowd sang Garcia happy birthday one day early. I think 1983 might have been the weakest year for music down in Ventura, but it was still a great party.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

Anyone else see that facebook post from the Owsley Foundation? Maybe an omen of American Beauty anniversary?

"Grateful Dead, Boston Tea Party, December 31,1969: Bear's recordings of this legendary show were preserved in memory of Greg Wheaton by his friends and family. Greg's passion was the music of the Grateful Dead and the extended GD family (we were touched to learn that he was particularly fond of Bear's recordings of NRPS), as well as all of the other great Bay Area bands of the late 1960s, including Jefferson Airplane and Quicksilver Messenger Service. We were truly honored to preserve these reels in Greg's memory. "

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by ShaggyFraggle

Sounds like that was done through the Adopt A Reel program.

—————

Grateful Dead, Boston Tea Party, December 31,1969: Bear's recordings of this legendary show were preserved in memory of Greg Wheaton by his friends and family. Greg's passion was the music of the Grateful Dead and the extended GD family (we were touched to learn that he was particularly fond of Bear's recordings of NRPS), as well as all of the other great Bay Area bands of the late 1960s, including Jefferson Airplane and Quicksilver Messenger Service. We were truly honored to preserve these reels in Greg's memory.
On this incredible night of music, here's what Bear captured on tape:
1. Hard To Handle
2. Me & My Uncle
3. Mason's Children
4. Dire Wolf (Jerry exhorts the audience to sing along) 5. Uncle John's Band
6. Alligator
7. Good Lovin'
8. The Eleven
9. High Time
10. Cumberland Blues
11. Big Boy Pete
12. Not Fade Away
13. Merry Go Round Broke Down Tuning 14. Seasons of the Heart
15. The Race Is On
16. Silver Threads & Golden Needles
Around about midnight, Jerry announces, "Well, it looks like the '70s are going to be weird."
Before the acoustic songs, Bobby says more than once, "Bear, turn it up regular for the time being."

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html