• 2,627 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
    • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
    • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
    • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
    • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
    • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • mdempste
    Default Avatar

I am a relatively new deadhead (5 years or so) and had never really focused on 1976 because in some ways it seemed like it was a warm up for the greatness of 1977. At first listen to the box set, I thought there were some great moments, but it really didn’t change my opinion (I admit likely because of my bias going in). However, I put the June 14 Beacon show in the regular rotation and found myself coming back to it regularly, so I decided to re-listen to the whole set and my goodness, what a great batch of shows this is. Every show is very well played and every night had greatness as well. Several of these shows are in the regular rotation now and even as a newbie, I can see how the band was progressing from these shows, to the early 77 shows (I love the Swing show), which then progress to the spring and fall 77 shows.

• DeadHead1974

The shipping box is collectible in itself.

• deadacated
    Default Avatar

Testing with Lossless Audio Checker shows the June 1976 FLAC download in 24/192 format
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/digital/june-1976-flac-192-24-1.html )

and the Pacific Northwest '73-'74- The Complete Recordings FLAC download in 24/192
    ( https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/pacific-northwest-73-74-the-com… ) to be "Upsampled."

I have notified Jeffrey Norman and Rhino. I sent Jeffrey the logs of the LAC test results showing 80% of the June 76 files being upsampled. While he was very nice in his response, he had no explanation for the finding. Rhino has not responded to any e-mails. It is important to note that the files on both test “Clean” after downsampling to 24/96, which, likely, means the files, were originally digitized at 24/96 or digitized at 24/192 and downsampled to 24/96 for mastering. Whatever the case Rhino needs to disclose this fact on their web site or change the files for sale to 24/96.

• marye
    send me a PM with your order details and I'll see what the Doc can do about this.
  • ldraznin
    Default Avatar

i just received my copy. it came in an outer box that had clearly been reused. some of the old labels were torn off, others were partially covered by newer labels. the tape was poorly replaced, but worst of all, the inner box had the cellophane torn and the box was scratched.

i’m so disappointed. for $150 i expect a better product.

these are the first CDs i’ve ordered from this site...if they all come like this, i don’t know that i’ll order again.

i’ve emailed the fulfillment company. hopefully i’ll hear back soon.

• icecrmcnkd

6-29-76 needs to be released soon

• Happy Will
    Default Avatar

Just surpised it hasn't sold out yet. It is much much better than I was anticipating - really getting 1976 now.

• MrHeartbreak

I ordered this recently, since there are less than 1K to go, and I have to say, I'm really pleased with the appearance of this set. It showed up quickly, having avoided the initial rush to get it, and it's a beautiful package. Sounds good so far. I know I'll get much enjoyment out of these tunes, of course.

For those who wondered about the booklet: this is not a defect. I'm in the publishing business, and I know that most paperbacks these days are what's called "perfect bound," which means the pages are glued in. Open the book completely, crease the spine, and you'll leave a mark; open and close it enough, and the pages will start to fall out.

This booklet is more like a very slim version of an old paperback, where the pages are held by string. That means you can open it up and flip through it many times for years to come, with no worries that the pages will fall out. It's both an aesthetic decision and a practical one. So it may look weird on the spine--it's not a paperback?--but it's a quality move. Very nice, and much appreciated on my end.

Looking forward to cranking up that Crazy Fingers!

• MadDoc
    Default Avatar

No comment

• voodoo

The packaging and booklet are very well done, The CD cases have cool artwork on them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

During the mid-1970s, the Grateful Dead saga was unfolding like a Greek classic. The Sisyphean Wall Of Sound had nearly broken the band. From it spawned a Medusa head of countless side projects, all deliciously fruitful but woefully not the same as the whole. The chorus lay in wait, pondering the reemergence of their heroes, and wondering if "THE LAST ONE" had really been it...

But in early 1976, Apollonian light and healing would shine upon our intrepid wanderers once again. No more epic battles for the people with cops and lines and tightness, the Dead would return triumphant in smallness, playing intimate theaters and renting equipment along the way. No more ticket scams and greedy promoters, they'd give back with first ever mail-order ticket program, one that had a few kinks to work out but eventually served the fans well.

Musically, June 1976 signaled a Golden Age of harmony and prosperity for the Dead. It marked an Odysseusian-like return for Mickey Hart. Donna Jean was in lock-step with the sirens' call. Jerry and Bob delivered orphic delight with solo musings like "Mission In The Rain" (the only tour they ever played it on), "The Wheel," and "Cassidy," emboldened by group effort. There was fresh repertoire from Blues For Allah, breathing new life to the Dead's continually morphing sound - as Weir once said of the '76 tour, they wanted to play "a little bit of all of it." Old favorites were re-envisioned with cascading tempos and unique sequencing, making the crowd question if they'd ever heard these songs before. And there was comfort and joy in the familiarity of watching the band make it up as they went along. By all means, it was clear that the bacchanalia of live Dead would reign on.

And now the revelry from this epoch, evidenced by the near-studio quality sound captured on two-track live recordings by Betty Cantor-Jackson, lives on, bolstered by Jeffrey Norman's HDCD mastering. It's housed for posterity in a handsome box featuring original art work by Justin Helton. It’s documented in liners by Jesse Jarnow and photos by Grant Gouldon. And it’s ready for a spot on your shelf. 

As part of our pre-order for this Dead.net exclusive boxed set, we'll be delivering downloads of each listening party - one for each show included in JUNE 1976 - to purchasers from now until the March 20th release. Order at any time before release and you'll receive all the listening parties to date.

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,000

What's Inside:

• 5 Previously Unreleased Complete Shows On 15 Discs
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/10/76
  • Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA 6/11/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/14/76
  • Beacon Theatre, New York, NY 6/15/76
  • Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ 6/19/76
  • Sourced from Two-Track Master Tapes, Recorded By Betty Cantor-Jackson
  • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
  • Restoration and Speed Correction by Plangent Processes

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Amazing work! 10x better than what I was able to come up with.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

A big thank you to all who posted China Cat suggestions-I played all of them & more. Very hard to rate, as there is less than 1% of separation, but......I’m dumb enough to try.
2-23-68~on the mellow side, still developing but confident, and......Jerry!!
3-16-68~oddly, less developed sounding than the above, pre-formed, skeletal almost
5-24-69~Raw, loose, and spirited!!
11-17-72~longer jam, Phil!! Keith!!
Bobby!!
7-31-74~longest jam( I found), Keith well up in the mix, Phil also, my favorite Bill Sommers!!

A couple of other notes:
4-24-72~VERY Slow pace, 1 word......Hashish!!
5-11-72~much more normal tempo, solid.

One thing I dislike about texting as opposed to speaking, it’s difficult to hear one’s tone or sincerity, but after re-reading my most recent post, I was appalled at myself for only saying that the US will survive Coronavirus. Of course, the entire planet will survive this, and my most humble & sincere apologies to DAVEROCK, COLINGOULD,SIMONROB,PERITHECAT,FRANKPARRY, and EVERY ONE of my overseas brother’s & sisters. We are truly all in this together. Occasionally I am extremely shortsighted in my thinking, much to my detriment.

Lastly, I was positive someone here made some recommendations on McCoy Tyner albums. I went back 48 pages and could not find them. Maybe I’m confused, but if you made these, or read them, could you remind me please?? Thanks!!

Stay safe & healthy all.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I've always liked the opening cut on "Time for Tyner", "African Village".

One of the first Blue Note albums I got, along with Lee Morgan, The Gigolo. (more great stuff)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

What could this be?? I'm not a big fan of 1976, although recordings & Jerry's intensity do shine....need some new music! A while ago one or two of the powers that be, maybe the BoZo guy, mentioned a couple of clues for another box set- not sure any thoughts? Also, now got DaP #35 on my mind as this is typically the one 1980s release of the year, I think we have a 1984 or 1985 show on deck for that release.....I also have a feeling 10/14/80 will somehow see release this year in some form or fashion

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I know 76 isn't everyone's cup of psychedelic tea, and I can certainly understand why.
I've always been a fan though, especially of these June shows.
This box is on par with Winterland 77 for me in terms of overall sound quality.
And it's fast becoming one of my favorite releases so far (aforementioned Winterland 77, Europe 72, Winterland 73, Fillmore 69, and May 77 being the others I listen to most).

On a side note, each time I read about the band being "in transition" during any particular year, I can't help but smile. To my ears, the Grateful Dead was always a band in transition or, better yet, evolution. Show by show, month by month, year by year. You can hear them constantly shifting gears, discovering, and growing.

Anyway, just my two cents. This sheltering in place has left me with a lot of time to think and listen.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

Mirrors my take so far.

76 isn't my favorite year, but there are two things I like most about the GD. First, the songs or perhaps more specifically their meanings & emotional. Second, the diversity & I guess intensity of the performances.

Not for everyone, and I get that.. It's certainly got that '76 tone and pace, no hard feelings.

One final comment.. thanks to the sound engineers. Tip of the hat to Ms. Cantor-Jackson and to Mr. Normal and the folks at Plangent (Jamie Howarth and John Chester). This one sounds almost as good as if it were recorded on 16 track Master Reels in a giant truck parked behind the venue. This one sounds ridiculously good.

I think Jeffrey Norman went to college at Hogwarts.

Edit: I do like '76.., not a '76 hater at all.

user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

I just got Jeff's transfers of the June 76 artwork, and I would like to say THANK YOU, MY MAN! I was feeling incomplete without the artwork loaded. You rock!

Peace

user picture

Member for

17 years

Another milestone reached. I have just finished my last day at work. I reckon 50 years work is quite long enough. Now I have all the time in the world to do what I want. As long I can do it from the confines of my house. The first possibility that comes to mind is that I am now in a position to listen to much more Dead (and other music) than before. Now that I will be collecting a pension rather than earning a salary means that I am now officially old. Not senior, just old. Senior suggests rank and in my world view that is unacceptable. Now when will this here box set arrive?

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by deadegad

Congrats and cheers to the first day of your well earned rest of your life.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

Joining the chorus to thank Jeff for June 76 artwork. And thanks to all the others who've posted box set individual show art over the years whom I've never thanked before. (Maybe it's ALL been Jeff?) Thanks to everyone. You definitely make the digital experience more complete.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I’ve never downloaded them before, but I probably should.
Can you post that link again to all the previous scans?

Thanks

Top stuff, Simon. I hope you have a long and happy retirement. I dropped out over 6 years ago, and its a great development. First a honeymoon period, then a "now what am I going to do ?" time, then a whole new thang. I feel as though I am getting younger with each passing year. Unfortunately, this isn't reflected in my outward appearance.

Mr Ones...no offence taken in your comment about hoping the U.S. overcome the virus whatsoever.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I don't normally talk about my birthday, but here I am, commemorating fifty trips around the sun today. And congratulations to you, SimonRob, for finishing fifty years of work!

Not sure what I'll pick yet to listen to. There is 3/26/90, but I might go for 3/26/72, from DaP 14. That would nicely launch me into my trip to Europe. I purchased the E72 box immediately, but have never listened to it. I was crazy busy with kids and work when it came out, and I've always been a tad "afraid" of it. I'm concerned that after hearing what it contains, I might not want to listen to any of the other releases that adorn the shelves of my Dead Room. I also wanted to "properly" listen to each show from the box, but it's become apparent to me that I might never have the time to sit alone in the dark with each and every disc from that box. So, it's Bon Voyage for me; Europe '72, here I come!

The steamer trunk DOES say, "Deadhead Brewer" on it. ;-O

My guess for the fall box is "Fare Thee Well". It's a box of all that hasn't been released from the 1974 Farewell shows. It contains some video, which will be shown at this summer's Meet Up At the Movies. This box we just received is the "Welcome Back!" box, and then later this year the 1975 hiatus is bookended with the farewell box.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

Simon Rob, congratulations on the retirement, you will have alot more fun now. Besides going to see the Dead on 9/11/81, retirement is one of the best things that has happened to me in this life.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Good to receive so many positive messages. It will take a while to get used to all this time on my hands, but I can't see it being a problem.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

thank you for the art work. awesome.

Congratulations on making to retirement. Enjoy yourself, as much as possible during this crazy time.

Still working my way through this wonderful new box. As others have said, sound quality is A+++. No dudes so far. We have a lot of top sound quality releases for 1976. Not sure what was going on then but really good stuff. The only exception I think about is Dave's 18 from July 76 in San Francisco, while I love the show and bonus disc, the sound quality is B-.

Next box, I still have my money on Fall 1980.
Be well folks! And Happy Birthday Deadheadbrewer! Beautiful day in MN, I wish we could enjoy it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by billy the kid

MR. Ones - There was a jazz related thread back around March 12 where someone mentioned several McCoy Tyner albums. I was able to locate Sahara which was highly recommended and downloaded it on the 12th. Very good suggestion that I have been enjoying ever since. Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson and On the Corner were part of the discussion, too. Can't remember who made the Tyner recommendations - sorry.

Simon Rob - Congratulations on your retirement! I retired nearly five years ago and have no regrets. I do have a part time job that keeps me out of trouble, though. My wife also keeps me very busy with home improvements. Thankfully, she loves the Dead and doesn't complain when I'm listening while checking off her "To Do" lists...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 11 months

wow, this box is great, so is the poster!! i cant believe these arent sold out yet. be well folks. stay safe and help others.

My poster looks defective - it seems to be invisible. Is this an issue I should take up with Rhino?

Edit: Peace :)

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by ohwell

You never listened to E72?
My suggestion is while you are quarantined at home you make a copy of the shows for your car - CD-R’s, music player, flash drive, whatever plays in your car.
Then, when work starts again listen to it on your commutes.

Be warned though, you could end up like Keithfan who sometimes remains sitting in his car in the driveway after getting home.

user picture

Member for

17 years

of Thank You's for JeffSmith. It's nice to have everything snazzed up and ready to go. :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Congratulations Simon Rob
Retirement is a crazy gift of time. Carpe Diem.
"The only problem when you are a grand pa is to be married to a grand ma "(Groucho)
Retirement is good for everyone but the dead; Imagine a 75 boxed set!

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

First time post but I read the threads multiple times a day. Hard to describe but the weight of the day eases a bit when I slip into this community. I held off on the box but ordered this week based on so many of your feedback and comments on sound quality. There’s something, many things really about this band that make them infinitely listenable...so much to explore. Many thanks for the learnings and sense of humor on these posts. Cheers!

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

First time post but I read the threads multiple times a day. Hard to describe but the weight of the day eases a bit when I slip into this community. I held off on the box but ordered this week based on so many of your feedback and comments on sound quality. There’s something, many things really about this band that make them infinitely listenable...so much to explore. Many thanks for the learnings and sense of humor on these posts. Cheers!

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

I hope they release the complete recordings from Winterland, every single show. That would make a great box set! I would also like to see them release the complete recordings of the Fillmore East and Fillmore West, what a killer box set that would be!

You might be remembering my post from awhile back: Last 5, all McCoyTyner edition, from shortly after he died. I found it back around page 70. Here they were:

Inception, Today and Tomorrow: These are his first two. They're more of a straight forward bop style, relatively accessible for a casual fan.

Real McCoy, Tender Moments: Two Blue Note Classics. Real MCoy is probably his best known and Tender Moments is just as good. They're more evolved then those 1st two, way beyond the usual Blue Note formula.

Sahara was #5. This is an amazing, intense listen. It gets chaotic, almost dissonant at times but McCoy holds it all together. If you're into wild, raging Other Ones, this one is for you.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

No better year.... slow and methodical!!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by bob t

I never had trouble with double posts.. it's that damned alien virus fricking with my computer.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by bob t

11/17/72 Wichita is one of those shows that I know is great.. it gets great reviews. I have attempted between five or seven listens and it still doesn't click to me.. but each and every listen was distracted, which is frustrating. So I have hope.

I have had the same luck with 76 Wheels. I shared some comments and music with one of my high school buddies that was instrumental in getting me into the Dead in the first place. And his advice has always been on point. I shot him a pic of the box and anyway.. he now has the music and his comment was, Always liked 76, those Wheels....

Seriously, sometimes it's just me. I am sure this box will change an old pre-existing condition. Combined with the fact that as of tomorrow, I will be blissfully finished with work projects, which will give me ample to time to listen to music uninterrupted.

Enjoy all.. be good, be kind.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Music Never Stops
Ramble On Rose
Cassidy
BE Women
New Minglewood
FOTD
El Paso
JACK-A- ROE
L.L. Rain
Scarlet->🔥
....makes sense.

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

"Greetings to my fans and followers with gratitude for all your support and loyalty across the years.
This is an unreleased song we recorded a while back that you might find interesting.
Stay safe, stay observant and may God be with you."
Bob Dylan

I have just unearthed Dick's Picks 30 and Dave's Picks 14, all culled for the Academy of New York March 1972. On the first we have excerpts from the first set of 3/25/72 ( with Bo Diddley), a great spiralling Playing from 3/27/72 (size isn't everything) and the entire 3/28/72.
On Dave's Picks I am looking at the entire 3/26/72 show, and a bonus disc featuring extracts from 3/27/72 and 3/21/72. 8 cds of the Dead at their most rockingest and warming up nicely for Europe
There was also a cd released with an unrelated album ( I think) featuring the Dark Star from 3/23/72 amongst sundry others.

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

I'm guessing we get the next big release in June. Workingman's Dead came out in June of 1970, so there is a connection. The next Dave's Pick, will take up April and May. But, 99% of the time I'm wrong about these guesses. I was sure we would get a 1969 box last year, boy was I ever wrong, I usually am, especially at an hour so early in the morning as this.

user picture

Member for

16 years

Morning rockers!!!

Was going to wait until next year to post things like this again, but in these trying viral times of ours, this darkness gotta give...………

For any new folks out there, or maybe even you old folks too, any self-quarantiners that are in need of some smiling 71s to brighten your Andromeda Strain of a day, PM me and I'll do my best to help you out. No limits, no restrictions, no questions asked, no answers offered...………

Rock on my friends, and stay safe!!!

Doc

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbQkyvbw18

edit - Just listened,,, wow. Anyone out there know how to download off youtube. My software don't work no more.

edit, edit - ok spoke too soon. Song is up on amazon for a buck. If you know my gdrive, it's there.

Thanks Vguy, I listen today the chicago show you mentioned; it a bit like jokes, the shortest are the best (2cd show)
It' a great show delicate fluid and seriously rocking.
for the next box I bet on a 71. (Port chester)and/ or april boxed set 'Manhattan transfer, wonderful show of Princeton..Fillmore ...)
stay safe everybody

I was just joking. No harm intended.

This new Bob Dylan song has had me with tears in my eyes all morning. All of the feels coming out right now.

Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I think I read just now Jim commenting on The Wheel from '76 and another poster on hard-to-get-into shows. That triggered the following thoughts.

This is an interesting phenomenon. So I'll do a cannonball into the pool. I really don't hear anything special about 5-8-77 Cornell. It's a fun May '77 show, nothing special to me at all. It's not even close to other shows on that tour. For me. Frankly, everyone else's take on it is a complete mystery to me. (So is much of the world, FWIW.)

So I avidly joined the throng when the band returned in June '76. I'm quite sure I attended one of the two Boston shows in this new box, one of the Capitol shows and the Beacon in this box. At the Capitol show that opens with Help on the Way, we were in perhaps row 6 or 7, slightly right of dead center. I clearly remember the intimacy and the buzzing of the amps in the backline. Had not heard that at my shows in '72-'73. The '76 shows were great to experience in person. 20-30-40 years later, the '76 tapes just didn't do it for me. Too languid.

Okay, but time is a tricky beast. When the '76 box was announced, I seized DaP vol. 28, 6-17-76 and gave it a spin. Sure there were a number of songs played so slow I'm tempted to skip ahead. But first set songs such as Cassidy, Music Never Stopped, Scarlet, have this funky loose greatness to them. Second set, Help medley, and especially Let It Grow, the jamming is intense in slightly above mid-tempo fashion that now captures my imagination.

I ordered the box almost immediately. It arrived yesterday. It's going to spin (and so am I) tonight.

This is a long-winded way of saying that, apparently by accident and alchemy, my entire attitude towards '76 has changed. But get this -- I prefer June to later in the year. The freshness of their return to the stage is what I'm smoking. Later on, they were on their way to '77 rocking.

There's the experience, then there's the tape. And time. Lots of freakin' time.

That is all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

...on your assessment of the early part of this '76 tour. I mean, I love it all, but the first two or three weeks of this tour definitely sound different to my ears than later in the year, even the end of the summer.

As you've noted, the early shows have this languid, loping, utterly drippy feel to them. The slower tempos obviously allow for more breathing room; each beat is seemingly stretched to it's limit with both care and aplomb. Songs are explored in new ways, providing new auditory avenues that help to open our ears and minds. By the time they hit the end of June and early July, songs were already morphing, speeding up as the summer progressed (see Eyes of the World as a good example, or even Dancin' In The Street by the time we hit Dick's Picks 20 in September). Notably different sounds, and they are already well on their way to congealing into that '77 sound.

I dunno, I've always been fond of this period for these exact reasons. Merely a snapshot in time, but it provides an extremely unique take on the band at a turning point in their bountiful history.

Happy Friday DeadFreaks.

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 11 months

otis, oh totally cool my friend. i was slow as heck on that one!! head in my butt with everything going on. be safe and have a great weekend. we are on lockdown in pa, and taking care of those that need it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

While I missed these smaller theatre shows, I did see the first return of the band to a large, outdoor venue, Colt Park,
and it was awesome! Lots of craziness here as I have relayed before. Suffice it to say that somehow I ended up with a Japanese flag on a long 10" pole which I waved high & wide as instructed during the encore of U.S. Blues.

This was also the show where one of my buddies passed out on the ground for a couple of hours. As people stepped over him they kept asking if he was ok. I assured them he was fine and had just imbibed one too many capsules. Upon awakening, he began to shimmy up one of the guide ropes of the sound tower. The guys in the tower were none too happy and they began to shake the rope to get him off! Luckily we talked him down. Crisis averted. Nothing out of the norm for one of my Dead shows! Lol

Rock on

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/june-1976/june-1976-15cd-boxed-set-1.html