• 136 replies
    admin
    Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA 11/10/67 Vinyl

3-LP Set
    180-gram Vinyl
    Limited Edition of 6700
    Mixed and mastered by Jeffrey Norman from the 8-track analog master tapes
    Mastered by Grammy-winning engineer David Glasser
    Features era-defining tunes "Viola Lee Blues" & "That's It For The Other One" plus an explosive "Alligator>Caution" jam!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • scottangel
    Default Avatar
    Just got this in the mail today. This post is mostly redundant cuz i am just going to state what has already been posted many times here already. 1. I can't believe this hasn't sold out already. 2. The sound quality is stunning I do find it interesting that this is one of the few releases here that don't include a tracklist in the description. You can easily find it online but thought i would include it here anyways. 1. Viola Lee Blues (15:58) side A 2. It Hurts Me Too (4:18) 3. Beat It On Down The Line (3:50) side B 4. Morning Dew (7:39) 5. Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (10:55) 6. Thats It For The Other One (12:04) side C I. Cryptical Envelopment II. The Other One I. Cryptical Envelopment 7. New Potato Caboose (11:36) side D 8. Alligator (11:01) side E 9. Caution (beginning) (4:15) 10. Caution (conclusion) (20:31) side F
  • icecrmcnkd
    Stunning. Sounds amazing.
  • daverock
    Brilliant release. Everything about it is top draw from the packaging up to the sound and the incredible music. It starts well, with a jammy Viola Lee Blues, passes on through some well played and sung blues to the acid rock of the Other One and New Potato Caboose-and then leaves the stratosphere completely with Alligator and Caution. A superlative show!
  • daverock
    Me, too. I haven't collected much vinyl over recent years-but this is essential! As is 2nd May 1970, which I have also ordered.
  • SFBobzilla
    Default Avatar
    Just ordered. looking forward to listening
  • stoltzfus
    i'd buy this QUICK.
  • stoltzfus
    not levgardium levioSAH
  • wilfredtjones
    They didn't put this art on a t-shirt and sell it.
  • Lovemygirl
    ...I still cannot believe this release hasn't sold out yet.The audio/LP is PRIMO!!!
  • TouchOfGrey94
    Default Avatar
    This has been released on CD and digital in the 30 Trips Around The Sun box set. We're lucky to be able to get the individual show outside that set at all. Same goes for 4/25/77.
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, CA 11/10/67 Vinyl

3-LP Set
180-gram Vinyl
Limited Edition of 6700
Mixed and mastered by Jeffrey Norman from the 8-track analog master tapes
Mastered by Grammy-winning engineer David Glasser
Features era-defining tunes "Viola Lee Blues" & "That's It For The Other One" plus an explosive "Alligator>Caution" jam!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

RSD 4lp box coming?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I thought this was the RSD selection, even though it's been available for a few months at rhino.com since January 19th. Yeah why not 4/25/77 for RSD or how about 5/18 OR 5/26? Either way count me in. How about a t-shirt based on the cover art?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

it was made avail in other formats...
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

how do you know what this sounds like, do you have a copy? With this release, all the prices of my old lp's just doubled. :) How can you compare one show on vinyl to 30 shows on cd? Talk about stating the obvious, of course it's cheaper than 30 shows. That's like comparing one dead show to 30 (submit name of favorite band here) With that logic, if the powers that be decided to release all the 30tats on vinyl, the cost would be close to 20 grand. I know a lot of deadheads who are well off, but that is just ridiculous.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Great release for vinyl. If it's advertised to be a limited edition of 6700 please number these !!!!! Provides some transparency
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

saving my self, er, money, for 7/17/76. but this looks like a winner and a half.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Hey guys, this was released by Rhino at the end of jan w/ a lot of other non-dead titles on vinyl as part of a promotion. it was only available in store at barnes and noble or at a few mom and pop vinyl stores that wanted to pay retail price (none of my local stores bothered w/ it bc they would make no money clearly the plan of Rhino and BnN.) So I drove around town in 5:00 traffic after work to 3 BnN stores until I found the ONLY copy in Baton Rouge!!!! To see it available on dead.net now is frustrating bc I spent 3 hrs hunting it down!!! It IS part of 30 trips which I could not afford and it sounds GREAT on vinyl!! LIKE BUTTA!!! Viola LEE is sick!!! definitely worth it if you are an audiophile and/or did not get the 30 trips box. I LOVE this release, but would have loved DEAD.NET to release it back in Jan so I would not waste my time in EVIL BnN...it was a scam to get me in there and it worked as I also bought Velvet Underground live at max's on vinyl. I am glad I got it but IT IS NOT NUMBERED OR FOIL STAMPED- it says 'limited ed of 6,700' on the back bottom corner and also has a sticker on the shrink rap tat says similar, Get them while they are hot. Once again J Norman did a great job here. It is in constant rotation for me. Hopefully they do the same for some late '70s or early '90s shows from 30 trips
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

they must be having a hard time selling this release elsewhere. Similar thing happened with the Branford show Wake up To Find Out on vinyl. The original RSD day retail price was $120 & within a few months it was all over Ebay & Amazon for $60-$70 Regardless this show absolutely rocks. Viola will melt your face. And nothing wrong with feeling like a kid again holding up a 12" beautifully decorated triple gatefold jacket. Used to roll J's off certain record jackets bake in the, I mean back in the day. Great way to get the seeds to roll off. Whatever happened to seeds? In fact my kids can't even imagine having seeds in watermelon.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

dave's picks subscribers get the same shit every 3 months, but those few individuals who still collect vinyl get brent & pigpen era shows. there shouldn't be any doubt in the minds of those who frequent dead.net that the chief concern of dave lemieux and the surviving members of the grateful dead is to extract as much cash as they can from their most loyal fans. perhaps if they raised the price of the dave's picks subscription to $250 we'd get some variety too. ----
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This show was already released on CD as part of the 30 Trips box, so we're not missing out on anything. If it were ONLY available on vinyl that would indeed suck.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

i'll just throw down $1000 to get the box set on ebay. -thanks. ----
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

That was a bad hookup you were getting pollinated herb most likely grown outdoors or by someone who could not recognize a male plant in their grow room, oops. Herb growing has improved and luckily the newer growers have "boutiqued" out the production of a crop as a matter of personal pride. Leaving the plants non-pollinated improves the harvest quality. If there is one thing the older heads owe the younger, its contributions to the refinement of what we are all ingesting. Seedless watermelon that's from Monsanto and modification of our food supply, yuck. Luckily living in Western Mass we get real food from down the street and higher quality herb than the places its legal and mass produced. However, friends and growers in Portland, ME do deserve some special acknowledgements for impressive and consistent strain quality. Long live the "small" business model of quality over quantity, people over profit. I picked up a copy of this vinyl and it is killer.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Of course making money is a chief concern for all involved at dead.net. You expect to be paid for your working hours, why do you feel the folks at dead.net shouldn't be? Until you tell your boss that you don't want a paycheck this week, that you're doing this for free out of the kindness of your heart, your complaining makes you look like a whining hypocrite. But I've also been around long enough to know that no matter what they decide to release, you will have a dour outlook on it. Please, find me one of your posts that is not overwhelmingly negative. I think you like to complain just to hear yourself complain. But that is your choice Bro, you can continue to bring a dark cloud to every forum post or you can bring a little sunshine. Your choice.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Gents in Deadnet Central and Mr. Lemieux What about people without vinyl players? Is there anyway I can get this concert either on CD or as a digital download [on iTunes or wherever]? A. Ashokan 05-03-2016 qrsquilon@asianetindia.com
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Gents in Deadnet Central and Mr. Lemieux What about people without vinyl players? Is there anyway I can get this concert either on CD or as a digital download [on iTunes or wherever]? A. Ashokan 05-03-2016 qrsquilon@asianetindia.com
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

It was released as part of the limited edition Thirty Trips Around the Sun box set last year. You may, with some patience, be able to find a copy on the internet. Good luck...!
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

normally, I don't agree with you, but this time you might be right, lets get as much as we can from the fans before they all die. Perhaps it's in your delivery or style of writing but most of the time you put me off, but this time, I think you might be on to something. Of course this is just an opinion, and of course, you all have the right to insult anyone who has a different one than yours. I agree that the surviving members of the band deserve payment for their work, but if you do a bit of research, you will see, without a doubt, that they are in it for the money now. Look at the ticket prices for Dead and company, look at the prices for anything dead related now days. Google any surviving band member and see what their net worth is, then you decide for yourself.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

here is a positive post regarding Dave's Picks Volume 14: posted on April 17, 2015 - 1:51pm ----> "this was announced months ago... which is why i'm not foaming at the mouth. as much as i'd like to see dave release stuff from the eras following keith's departure i am somewhat eager to hear this show. dick's picks 30 was one of my favorite releases from that series. its solid all the way through, and i particularly loved the stuff they did with bo diddley. with that said, it is time this series moved away from the 70s. dave needs to realize that as archivist his loyalty is to the music (not rhino), and when you disregard half of the band's career you're not doing your job. keep in mind, those who say the various tours from the 70s each have their own charms are correct, which makes it most hypocritical when these same people label everything post keith as the same. all we want is diversity. how can anyone argue against that?" ----
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Its clear now that this is a cut-throat business and a nasty one at that - the only connection between the fanbase and those in charge is profit. Pure and simple - but not the type of profit that provides a mutual benefit or good feeling. No this is bent over the barrel profit - where you buy now because of manipulative limited editions and feel used or you don't buy at that moment because of finances, etc..and feel left out. Really is that what this was all for?The devil is in the details - and they will find ways to keep shoveling it in different forms as long as it maximizes profit- really that much per lp? Did the 50th have to leave so many depressed? I was a cd/box set enthusiast - and I appreciated the packaging, extras - the whole experience - I knew I could find ways of listening, but I wanted a little more - now thanks to this bad business, I more appreciate just the music itself and the fact that I can find it regardless if its in some fancy package, etc... and in fact audience tapes are sweeter, because there is a love behind them that corporate greed cannot match. So thanks DEAD.NET you shined a light in your own way to what is truly important - the music, not the parasite of greed that you have become.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

what if they Put 30 trips around the Sun on Vinyl..... I agree ... It`s Bad for Business...
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Well there's one. One mostly positive post from 11 months ago. I guess I was wrong. Now I have to pay up on my bets.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Who did this one? Is it recent or classic? Fantastic, that's what it is.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

Folks, I understand some of the frustation regarding dead.net, how they are packaging stuff, etc. First, let me say that it is an ongoing joke with my inner circle that dead.net stands for NET profits. Certainly the website has transformed into a marketing venture but, honestly, what's so wrong about that? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. Personally, I much prefer the days of simple tape trading where we had great times sharing the music and finding some amazing stuff. I probably have the Shrine '67 show somewhere in my collection if I dug through my garage or basement or wherever. Why I don't have it all organized like I used to is another story. But PLEASE don't go down the road of complaining about ticket prices and what the band members net worth is. Two completely different topics actually. The tickets prices are the result of the higher costs to the band members. They have to pay the venue and the union roadies big money - so the band is getting gouged and they pass that cost to us. Ramrod and Owsely aren't there anymore coordinating renting out the venue and setting up the equipment. It's not a family business anymore. These guys have tons of middlemen to deal with. As for their net worth - STOP!!! That's none of anyone's business and they deserve EVERY penny. My biggest problem with it is the sanitized versions of the shows. I don't want to hear excerpts CDs like "Road Trips" or the box sets of greatest hits. I want to hear whole shows. But...whatever. It's a shame that the Internet Archives are being blocked by the Dead though. I'm going to see Dead and Co this summer - psyched. The Phil shows at the Cap are tough to get, unfortunately. Peace and Swing Low Sweet Chariots - love the music and let's not hate on the small stuff given the magnificence of it all over the years.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

lets just call them what they are. we all make choices, and its their choice to pass the additional cost onto the consumer. no one is forcing their hand. i get it though. the band needs the extra money, so bobby's grand-niece can open up an overpriced cheese shop somewhere in san francisco. ----
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

There's nothing legitimate to complain about here. The price is consistent with what 180 gram vinyl LPs are selling for these days. Every band out there has vinyl at the same price: $25 - $30 per LP (Beatles, Rush, Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin). This Shrine show is a 3 LP set, so the price is correct. If the Price Tag were $100, I would say they're gouging people, but that's simply not the case here. Move along...
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

am i the only one who thinks dead.net uses lackeys to steer the conversation in a more favorable direction whenever the mood turns sour? -----
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

You can insult all you want patagonian poo-poo, but really, what's your point? You're complaining about an unfair sales environment here that doesn't exist. Careful though - people are going to think you're just here to complain, and stop taking you seriously.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

the grateful dead are hypocrites. they pretend to champion liberal causes, while stuffing as much cash into their fat pockets as they can. the band has been paid for its work. far more than most professional artists ever make. my real complaint is the grateful dead unload the surplus of keith shit as part of the dave pick's subscription. then charge a premium for pigpen & brent era shows. i'd probably pay the $70 for this show if it were available on CD. "people who collect vinyl piss me off." - (eric cartman voice) ----
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Here's an idea for those whom rant about capitalism, Don't fuckin' buy it" I am the first to understand the greed involved in the last few years, but living in the past won't change today. Now we have people whom are complaining about what music is released. If you don't like it don't buy it. There are plenty of sources to get what you want online. I am sure this vinyl will be online within days of it's release, and then can be downloaded for digital listening.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If anyone were to call me a plant, I might consider that as a compliment...
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I do have a copy and it sounds great on Vinyl. It was one of the shows that "nearly" tempted me to the 30 show box set. So I'm happy. I have more than enough Dead to last me a lifetime, but I enjoy the pleasure of listening to shows I've never heard properly before. But, no - your old Vinyl did not just double in price. And no - I very much doubt they will release the whole of 30tats on Vinyl. This was a clear candidate since it was a multi-track mix, rather than a 2 track. Pricing looks the same (roughly) as most 180 gram Vinyl. At least the Vinyl can't be bent double like the stuff from the mid 70s - lol.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Don't see anything to complain about here. Some like vinyl, some like CD, some like ipods. All of the releases have production costs associated with them that are in line with every other band out there, especially if the shows are mixed down from multi-track. The tapes have to be transferred and then meticulously mixed and mastered, which takes a good amount of studio time. Personally I'd love to see any show that was recorded multi-track get mixed down properly (like this one) so we can really hear the band shine. The old cassettes are great too, but I love hearing the Dead in Hi-Fi!
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

That would be sweet. Especially if they all are available through this site. Looks like the next one up is gonna be 4-25-77 on the next Record Store Day. 4 lp set. Get in line.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

The Grateful Dead made enough money, huh? They should just start giving you handouts now? You just plod along from one handout to the next, I'm sure. You're a pitiful excuse for a man. Shameful existence you live, absolutely shameful. But let's not take my word for it, indulge us - what great moral crusade was it that you head up from day to day?
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

i've never once asked for a handout from the grateful dead or anyone on this website. i have no idea how you even came to that conclusion. do i think the grateful dead are sellouts? hell yes i do, but they're no different than most celebrities whose work i admire. what pisses me off royally is how they jackup the price of brent and pigpen era shows, and give us the same keith crap as part of the dave's picks subscription. i have a degree in economics, so i understand supply & demand, and somewhat condone dead.net's actions, but i don't want to hear how the band is all about the fans and the music, because thats just a load of shit. for the record i have enough money to be happy. its definitely not a part of my life that needs attention, so please stop sending me your pointless emails. you have about as much eloquence as donald duck, or donald trump for that matter. ----
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Why do you continue to come here if you don't want to hear some people making positive comments? Why don't you just go and troll Kanye West's web site (remember, one of your fave's). It seems like you just troll this sight looking for an opportunity to complain or to instigate something. I don't believe that everyone here expects to see 100% positive comments. I am guilty of making negative comments on this site from time to time and I fully expect to be called out on them and I have also learned (after trial and error) to reframe from personal attacks against people who disagree with me.I know, I shouldn't feed the trolls. Bad things happen.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Whack his peepee.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think that for record collectors, this is pretty cool and if they put out all 30 shows on vinyl, it would be a very impressive collection. I'm not the record collector that I was 20+ years ago, but I would be very tempted to try and procure a couple from the '60's and '70's, and a several from the '80's and '90's.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

i just post my opinions. i really don't care if i get under the skin of some people. almost everything i write is well thought out. i rarely attack individuals on this site. my barbs are almost always reserved for the band or management, but i get why people don't see it that way. there are scientific studies which show that it is almost impossible to change the opinion of others even when they are faced with facts or scientific evidence. the reality is most of you don't read what i write anyway. the majority who respond to my posts just skim through them to find something to throw back at me. i tried to make the best of this situation. since i couldn't get this show on CD i decided to buy 2 pigpen era shows i didn't have: (dick's picks 4 & dick's picks 16). as for kanye west; i do like his music. the albums: "college dropout", "late registration" & "my beautiful dark twisted fantasy" are better than any studio album the grateful dead ever recorded. i'm not so keen on his publicity stunts, or some of the stuff he tweets, but to be honest i'm not sure if he really is that guy, or if he just pretends to be to get as much media attention as possible. ----
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

You only get under my skin when you purposely attack people. All your other opinions are provocative yet useful. Though you cross the line like Trump tends to. Like when you said that Dave Lemieux's birthday greeting to David Bowie in the DaP 17 video made you nauseous, that is most definitely not useful. It's outright attacking someone for no reason. So what if he likes Bowie & happened to remember to give him a shout out on his birthday? Good thing he did & it's kind of horrible that he passed on a couple days later. I understand you hate Dave for the releases under his direction, but that is flat out rude. Not sure why you act like that unless you are in fact trying to get under people's skin. All that being said you are entitled to say things as you please.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

that would be cool, unfortunately, the cost would be prohibitive. Some of those shows would take up 4 or 5 discs of wax, now what would be that cost? Throw a dog a bone? 4 platters for 90.00? 5 for 100? Doesn't matter anyway, who's got that kind of scratch to buy them all? Not for what you would get. Besides, they really would not put out some of those shows on vinyl that are only 2 track Healy recordings would they? Well maybe, anything for a buck nowdays, right? Pfox, when you say things like "I like K. west" it kinda makes you a target right from the get go. The guy is a flipped out whack job and for that reason only I wouldn't give him the time of day, well alone buy any of his music. It may be good (not) but who cares, the guys a joke. You say the dead's organization is good economics, yet you constantly complain about almost every release, pray, which shows would you like to see released? I would love some more pigpen, and some more 80's shows, but they ain't gonna do it, so all the bitching in the world is not going to make that happen. So, why do you do it? It makes no sense. I got to say this, some of the comments against you have been down right mean, nasty and totally uncalled for, but like you say, some people ain't gonna learn what they don't want to know. Spacebrother, you have felt this pain also, and I feel for you cause you just want more 80's, and that's cool and the comments against you in the past have also been mean, just mean spirited. Love the dead and the music, hate the drama. And yes, this package is overpriced in my opinion. But like PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/lp/shrine-auditorium-los-angeles-ca-11-10-67-vinyl.html