• 1,097 replies
    Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    • 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
    • 25th Anniversary Tour Program
    • Official Band Letters
    • 6 Ticket Stubs
    • 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
    • 1 Tour Laminate
    • Official 1990 Band publicity shot
    • 6 complete shows on 18 discs
          • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
          • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
          • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
    Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
    Original art by Wes Lang
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• ststeve
    ...and the TOO as well...have been kicking myself ever since!
  • hlpeebles
    Dear Dead.Net,Fix the digital downloads so fans can have this music. Downloads have been listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time. When will it be fixed? Thank you
  • chMusicLife0948
    Default Avatar
    This is my first post! I would love to own a copy on digital flac of Spring 1990. Please make this available soon! Paying $1400 for Spring 1990 on eBay is pretty steep! I love the Grateful Dead and for me it's about the music, whether I own a physical copy or can purchase the music online. I am very thankful the Grateful Dead is available to purchase at other websites, https://us.7digital.com/ is a great source for Dick's Picks, Europe '72, Road Trips, etc.
  • Super Mikey
    I’m wondering the same thing! There’s a couple that I’d love to buy as digital.
  • kemo
    anybody know if this will happen anytime soon or otherwise?
  • Nicolas
    It is good to see a digital one !! :) Will order it soon ;)
  • kemo
    I am finally ready to get it. hopefully one day soon
  • GoldenCO
    Default Avatar
    Anyone know when this will become available for download again?
user picture
Default Avatar
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
• 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
• 25th Anniversary Tour Program
• Official Band Letters
• 6 Ticket Stubs
• 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
• 1 Tour Laminate
• Official 1990 Band publicity shot
• 6 complete shows on 18 discs
      • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
      • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
      • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
Original art by Wes Lang
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Well,Anna rRxia and fluffanutter have show their true colors with this "fine print legal" gambit -- they aren't just "complainers" -- they are haters. It is a mystery why Anna rRxia's comments are still permitted here at all: Her first post on this board, at 4:41pm 8/1, was a promise to steal, rather than buy this box set: "sorry rhino, you can't fool me again. i'll wait for somebody to rip the discs for me." Why is this commenter allowed to continue here, Marye?? If ANYONE believes Rhino/GD intend to not replace, at their own expense, defective merchandise, you are either a fool or being fooled by these clown liars. My own experience with Rhino/GD is very much like that expressed by scott1129: I have bought EVERY SINGLE set released. There have been ALMOST NO problems with anything. The very, very few problems were FIXED QUICKLY and kindly, at no cost to me. Compared to Rhino/GD, I wouldn't trust fluffanutter or AnnarRxia farther than I can throw them, and I'm a big wimp. Do everyone a favor and stop spreading your hate and bullsh!t.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

my view is that you guys are doing just fine, and that is better than going all authoritarian on Anna/Fluff.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I am confused, if Anna rRxia is planning on pirating this release, why is this person worried about the return policy. My experience with the store is I’ve always had anything defective replaced. No real problems. Never had to send anything back for replacement. Can’t wait for this release. 15 more days. A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.” Friedrich Nietzsche
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I hesitate to get involved here , but what the hey. I have been a pretty harsh critic of the store here and with good reason. I have experienced too many foul ups and I am also paying massive international shipping costs for the privelege. But these guys have clearly learnt something from the clusterfuck that was Europe 72 and are trying to fix it They have created a special ordering system from the start to avoid crashing the creaky normal system (note the current problems with delivering DaP3) They announced it when they are sure about producing it, not as a speculative offer. So the gap between ordering and shipping is (in theory) much shorter. The CDs appear to be packaged in digipacks not feeble sleeves They have included lots of emphemeral bits and pieces, as were promised but not delivered with E72 (not to my liking but....) The ordering stage seems to have gone without a hitch An important question about provenance of the recording has been answered. You may not approve or agree but the answer is there. The wording of the legal stuff does look misleading and should be corrected, but I really do not believe that they are trying to avoid liability for defective product. I am sure that even in the USA there are laws that protect the consumer and give you a right to get what you pay for. They have not underestimated the demand this time, so now folks who are slow off the mark are not missing out. The price is on the high side (especially with high shipping costs) but just tolerable for me and many others (so the accountants would say they have pitched it just right) . It is the same per show as the two WInterland sets and you do get the ingredients to assemble a seventh show. The choice of shows and design artist etc is really a matter of taste. A highlights version is available No single shows which is a shame, but the door is left open for downloads later. Good versions of all these shows are widely traded and will continuie to be. At least one of the traded shows is even from John Cutlers DAT! If you are inclined to do so you will be able to steal this music without much problem within a week of it being released and with virtually no chance of getting caught. So thus far around 8.5/10 I would say. and a great improvement ....but I'm not holding my breath. A lot of the bad feeling here comes from nice people who have been really shabbily treated (NOT all whiners and haters)...it will take them some time to trust this process again. Rhino/Deadnet really do need to get it just exactly perfect this time...or very nearly so. wow I am in a charitable mood....maybe because I just made myself the most delicious plate of spaghetti and home made meatballs washed down with a glass of nice red wine. Now Dr Rhino..where is that free signed copy you promised ?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

@ cosmicbadgerI could not agree with you more (even while awaiting DaP3 in the Netherlands...) and I could not have put it better. Yes, things go wrong from time to time, but in the end problems are solved and I dare anyone to believably put forward an example of a mistake that was not corrected by Rhino referring to any clause in their terms of service. Yes, they probably could and should have worded it a little better, Anna rRxia and fluffanutter have a point, legally speaking, but speaking musically, I'd say: Who do you love? > Do not stop on tracks > Good lovin' > Dark star > You win again
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I have purchased every single release that Dead.net has offered over the years. I've had a few shaky experiences but overall everything ended up O.K. Most of my issues have always had to do with Customer Service, and generally they have been handled on an acceptable level. Things such as a double order being mistakenly created and dealing with an offshore call center that I'm sure had no idea of what the Dead we're all about. The Europe 72 project had left me hesitant of ordering other things, mainly due to the whole ordering process. If I recall, I didn't even know if I had a set on the way until 2 weeks after I placed my order. and I ordered about an hour into the first evening. (Conversely , I ordered this set on my iphone with a skeptical signal at best, when I was away from home andI still had a painless ordering process!) When I got my E72 set, every disc skipped on my Sony SACD player. I un-boxed a second, brand new SACD player of the same model, and the discs also skipped. Yet they played fine in all my other players. None of my friends reported skipping. The problem was not with the discs, but with the model of player that didn't like these discs. I purchased a new player. Although I wasn't happy to have to do this the discs were not defective, it was the player I was using. However, before I plunked down more money for another high end machine, Charlie Miller and others suggested using a program like EAC to test the discs. Great advice. I did and ALL checked out fine. I posted my findings on the Europe 72 thread so anyone that wanted to get piece of mind could also test their own set for flaws.. Now when I buy a set or a few cd's I don't have time to listen to, the first thing I do is open up the free EAC program and test my discs. So really time is not a problem. I'll do this set in an hour. Anywhere, website or brick and mortar, that I have purchased cassettes, CD's, DVD, or software, the policy was the same. Once you open it you can't return it; you can only exchange the defective product for one that is not. Why? So people don't make an illegal copy and then return it for their purchase price, aka. piracy... Rhino purposefully trying to put out a defective product for the whole sake of wanting to screw the buyers, just doesn't ring true to me. It seems to me that enough people who love the Dead, like Dave L. are still on board to ensure that these projects keep coming through. They don't want to be associated with a bad product or experience either and would rather see the Dead's music be treated in a respectful manner. They are also fans. I can't wait for the release. Thanks again, guys for getting these projects out.
user picture

Member for

13 years 8 months

People have been speculating about how this is selling. According to a dead.net email, they have sold 6,000 of the 9,000 boxes. IMO, it is an absolute certainty that individual shows will be available to purchase via download: "This is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically." How else could you possibly read that? I'm glad that some of the folks who have been so vocal about wanting a '90s box are putting their money where their mouth is. Not my cup of tea, but, hey, I don't have to love every box. I'm glad there are a lot of people excited about this. Hopefully for Rhino's sake, there are 3,000 more who are excited. ;-)
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Dicks Picks Vol One - $25 on amazonOne From The Vault - $37 on amazon Terrapin Station 3/15/90 Limited Ed. - $87 on amazon E72 Complete - $1,400 on amazon Fillmore West 69 complete - $1,600 on amazon Dave's Picks Volume 3 - $74 on amazon this is the only problem with limited release. One more topic View from the vault July 90, June 91, June 90, July 87 How come there are no video of this Spring Tour Now that would have been a box. Six shows - 18 cds - 6 dvds for $300 with a run of 15,000. but we are happy with the six shows the 3/15/90 (Phil's B-day) is a great release still after 15 years The boys are in perfect form. Each song is a masterpiece in itself. Brent is way up in the mix. And the whole band is contributing. Love the "WE WANT PHIL" chant before the TThumbBlues Thanks to all those tapers and the techies who now prowl the vault.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

the E72 and Fillmore West are on Ebay.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 8 months

I've ordered just about every official release. I have no complaints about products or service. Great job on bringing us the music we love! Sure there are things I would have done differently, but overall I'm very pleased. Looking forward to getting these shows.Peace.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Why didn't you guys just release the whole tour like you did with the Europe '72 box? The shows that were selected for this are good but there are some that were better.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

It is beyond belief that we are spoon fed a little piece of grateful dead music at a time. Holy crap I am going to be dead and gone by the time we have a total of two years released...had to count '72. Really I don't understand it as we, the most loyal, have to grow old and wait for sound board quality disc....my tape are old and I am not going to break them out....i suspect there are other sources, but why not her. JUST RELEASE ALL THE MUSIC..........sorry it may effect your job but we are the customers and we are getting old and dying.......seriously this it a bunch of.......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

As a Huge Head, and a buyer of all things Jerry from dead.net (the E'72 box, Dick's and Dave's picks, and much more) I am saddened by the blatant capitalization and commercialization of the archive. We were told of E'72's "exclusiveness" and subsequently found out the individual concerts would also be made available. You are again using this ploy. You are damaging my 40+ year relationship with the Dead with this greedy behavior. I will pass on Spring 1990. I hope you pass on this word.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Eh, it doesn't seem quite right to complain about "blatant capitalism" and also how products aren't being kept "exclusive" enough at the same time, does it?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I am thankful for the releases in such fine quality, but the way they are marketed makes them too expensive for me to pay for in big chunks. Could you please sell them by concert, and release all of them. I am getting old and in the way, but need some good lovin' from you all. I hope help is on the way. I'll be dead before I get to hear some of my favorite shows, such as 5/13/78 Spectrum, Philly. Also, couldn't they be downloadable as well as in packages? I don't know how you do what you do, just some friendly suggestions from a loyal fan of things Jerry and the Boys.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

One of the Greatest Dead tracks ever burned onto a piece of plastic. One of the exciting parts of these 1990 spring tour shows is the section of the second set after the last song of the first half where the band 'jams' into the Rhythm Devils protion of the nights performance, afterwhich there is a portion only noted on the 3/15/90 Terrapin Station Limited release, where master psychedelic programmer Bob Bralove would interact with the drummers(Mickey) and then segue into the space portion of the show. As with the "My Mind Just Left My Body" jams in China Cat, Dark Star and the Mock Turtle jam on 3/15/90, are these "And" sections part of these shows in the box or is it a rare occurance and something I need to research more to find. Countdown to release 14 days. Less than 3,000 copies left as of yesterday 8/16 (anniversary of the Dead's appearance at Woodstock - Pig's 40 minute lovelight rap) still have Dozin and Without a Net (what a cover) to preview.
user picture

Member for

12 years 2 months

Very excited about this release, BUTwill the glitches that we hear between tracks on the listening party be present on the box set? And, can we expect any vinyl offerings of these gems?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

As much as I would love to own this amazing-looking limited edition box set, I just can't wave bye-bye to $199.98-plus-S&H. Just. Can't. Do it. I did, however, opt for a pre-order of "Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It," so I'm still helping the cause, right? It's the same issue with all music edition of "Europe '72: The Complete Recordings." I can want it to infinity and back, but I just can't allow myself to spend that much dough. So I did the next best thing: buy "Europe '72" and "Europe '72, Vol. 2." It's not the same, but it's a step in the right direction.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

Double-posted by accident. Please disregard this online faux pas.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 7 months

We share the age range, and I remember so well the Brent debate among the cacophony of the masses. It so quickly rose to biblical proportions that even Heads' heads were spinning. Heads struggled to figure out what , precisely, were the collective issues within the waves of disapproval. Singing voice? Character of his lyrics? His composed music holding up those lyrics? His song(s) as one package? The amount of time that the band alloted him during the show? His input by way of back-up vocals in the Band's songs, where his voice was previously not heard? All of it? None of it? Something else? I struggled with it back then, and it's not much easier in reflection.But Palmer, you''ve got a very right point and I'm glad to see that you've brought it up. Brent's overal contributions as an instrumentalist in the Band were inspired, energizing, and hot. And I want to add from experience that, backstage, he was a friendly kind, gentle, and delightfully literate person and highly likeable. So,... moving on to the next release!.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Thanks halloweendeadhead- I appreciate your post. I really loved Brent's playing when I saw it live in the early 80's. Later on, I began to sour on it and then gave up altogether. Recordings of the early 80's didn't seem to "hold up" very well, also. Now, I'm kind of glad I ignored this period since it makes this release all the more exciting. Re-listening now to what spring 90 material I have has really been something of a revelation.As for Brent's songs, I must say I think I'll always abhor "I Will take you Home". I was relieved that tune is missing from this set! ;) On the other hand, I seem to be one of the few who champion "Don't Need Love"- one of the best Dead originals from the 1980's, IMO. 14 more days!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Sweet Fudge! The Grateful Dead are on the Top 40 albums list in Rolling Stone! DaP3 is #34! I seriously can't believe it. On the same list as Justin Bieber, Kenny Chesney, Katy Perry, ad nauseum. Even has a picture of the GD early 80's. Goes to show, you don't ever know. "Truly, truly weird." (paraphrased from Jerry comments 2/27/69.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

All I want is the music on CD in the smallest packaging possible. I would have preferred if these shows had been in a simple slipcase box with a CD-sized booklet (like 'Fillmore West 1969'). That would be simple, efficient, and would greatly reduce the price for each unit. Large packaging is a nuisance and the swag is not important -- usually looked at once and forgotten. I know you are trying to make nice products and we are grateful for that, but the space these things take up is a concern. Please be courteous and reduce the packaging size in the future to something more manageable and convenient. That would also reduce the price for each unit which would make the music more accessible to fans. The music is what we want -- the swag and big boxes, not so much.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

It will be 11 days or less before the box is shipped. Thought there might be more posts with shipping date so soon. dave's picks 3 which I recieved on the 6th sent from california to pa under the free shipping option might be causing some anxiety among thoses who are still waiting. The europe 72 box was shipped from pa near scanton. I wonder if the box will ship from pa or ca and if it makes a difference for those not sixty miles from scranton. I think sales have slowed down and the box won't sell out until after it ships. The e72 box gave people 9 months or so to come up with the money. The spring box was less than half the price but it is not easy to explain to your wife or girlfriend that you just spent 220 dollars on a cd. Will the next d pick be the 80s or a pigpen release. everything from 70 has been a home run so far. I know a lot from 70 is not in the vault becuse of bears legel problems but would love to see more 1970 truely a time of transition.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

A valid point about the extras included with these music releases.Dick's Picks One was released as a single size, double cd jewel case. Two was a single cd in a jewel cd case. Three was a single size, double cd jewel case. Four was a double size, three cd jewel case. as were all the following 32 releases. One From The Vault was a digipack with trays for the cd (similar to the Dave's Picks series) Two From The Vault was also release in this manner Both are now available in single size, double cd jewel cases. The Terrapin Station Limited Edition 3/15/90 release was released as a digipack but with an outer sleeve to hide the package info. (Also had a fold out feature to create a stand up) View From The Vault was a double sized, three or four cd jewel case with the DVDs in standard plastic dvd cases. The Vault series, (2/11/69, Ladies and Gentleman..., Steppin' Out, Dozin', GD Movie soundtrack) were jewel cases. then the Egypt set was released as a paper folder with a fold out pyramid and some swag. The To Terrapin '77 set was a paper folder. Crimson, White and Indigo was a paper folder. The First Box was the So Many Roads set and was in a cloth bound box with a book to hold the cds. The next box is the Golden Road box which is a large box with the cd's in digipacks with trays and a large booklet. The next box is Beyond Description the same format as the previous release. The next box is the Fillmore West 1969 complete a box with the cd's in a book. The next box is the Winterland 1973 set in a box with paper folders for the cd's, and some swag The next box is the Winterland 1977 set in a box with paper folders and some swag The next box is the Europe 1972 tour Complete. advertised as a replica steamer trunk (paper box) with tour mementos. Travel maps, buttons, stickers, other stuff but we got none of that just the book and the cds and some cheap swag. but hey 73 cds for 600 out stand ing deal but the cd were in paper folders The Road Trips Series all released in paper folders. Dave's Picks are in digipacks with plastic cd trays. Plus a booklet with a cool essay and some photos. This is what we want. Individual shows released at a modest rate. (Eight shows per year) (if you want to hear all the shows before you die, hit up archive.org and join a vine) In Digipacks with some nice essay or historical documentation and photos. No more limited releases as this just encourages the scalpers. (If I am fallen on hard times (any one else) and can not afford this box of Spring 90 why am I denied the joy of the music at a later time when I am able to afford this luxury, I can buy the Dicks Picks series still but the Dave's Picks are gone.) Make Music, Not Swag.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thanks, halloweendeadhead. You echo my own mixed feelings about Brent. All but one of my 30-plus shows were during his tenure and I struggled with those same questions the whole time. I bailed out when the sea of cheese became too thick. That sentiment has not changed even now. I'll have mixed feelings about this box when I hear it. I wish Bob Bralove had never been allowed to get his paws on the gear except for a few space segments. I know most or all of the band embraced MIDI technology. Now we see it was a flavor of the month proposition and thank goodness the post-Dead have not used it much. I'm glad you found Brent literate and kind. That's how I want to remember him.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Though there is still over a week left, and it is not out of the realm of possibility, it looks quite sure that this deluxe six show edition will not sell out before the ship date. I guess all of those vociferously advocating for other eras than the 70s didn't put their money where their mouth is. I think we will have a lot more 60s and 70s to look forward to in the future. Not such a bad thing....

Member for

16 years 9 months

Not "all of those," Anna.....I vociferously voiced my wish for mid-80's before any more '70's (sans '70 itself) ~ and will continue to ~ but I'm still psyched about this and ordered it on the first day. Scott, you forget (as most folks seem to) or otherwise fail to acknowledge the 32-page exact reprint of the Europe '72 tour book ("Book of the Dead"), which came in the E72 trunk in addition to the 100-page hardbound book. And which is brimming with time-capsule text, with period commentary from all the band members, even Pigpen (how often do you read him talking about Woodstock and excitedly about the current tour?). I thought that was a pretty cool piece of swag. One Man, I'm with you on never being enamored of the Midi proliferation in '89-'90 ~ I'd rather Jerry's guitar sound like a guitar than a french horn ~ but the band clearly had fun with it, and if they were having fun then they were musically engaged. Leave it to the Grateful Dead for their version of "flavor of the month" to mean experimenting with new sounds.... Rather than donning jackets with rolled-up sleeves! (Yes, Graham Nash, I'm looking at you : ) But this illumines another argument for the mid-80's: the last moment before those other sounds infiltrated, but still years enough into Brent's tenure that the band had gelled.... Just sayin'.
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I almost always reach for '70s Dead when choosing what to listen to but I enjoy the late Brent era also.I would really like to buy this box but cannot justify spending $200+ on it. The two Winterland boxes were just right...lots of great music and not something I'd have to save up for. And the limited edition thing just sucks for those of us without a ton of disposable income. The "extras" in the box are okay but I'd MUCH prefer an all music version at a lower price. I passed on the Hampton box because I didn't want to spend $20 on a cigar box. I don't understand why a tour from '90 (which was a good year but certainly not close to the highs of the 70s) gets a six show box while the Winterland boxes had three shows each. It's understandable that Rhino will try to maximize their profit but I just want to say that there are many of us out here who could more easily spend less than $100 on a box. Also, why not make the physical discs available for purchase? I can't buy this $200 box but would love to buy a show or two; don't you want my money?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In all fairness, the E72 box didn't officially sell out for several months after the reservation preorder started. Many people who reserved their copies got dropped for either not having enough money or not using their special codes. Heck, my copy shipped and arrived before the money was even taken out of my account. This time around, you pay up front. Different circumstances. I imagine these are selling right on par with anything released. I believe most people who buy these releases through mailorder, like me, buy them all, regardless of era. Another way to look at it is perhaps because of the oversaturation of '70s releases, lots of people lost interest in preordering this one, but I highly doubt thats the case. $200 bucks is a chunk of change to cough up in relatively short notice, unlike the 9 month advance notice for the E72 box. Whether they sell out before the ship date or not really doesn't matter. They will sell out regardless. I'm already looking forward to Spring '90 box Volume two! Brent was and will always be "the man", and the band never rocked harder than any other era period, except when Pigpen was throwing it down in the '60s in my less than humble opinion.
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

A lot of folks still have not received their Dave's #3 and there has been no official word posted concerning the reason for the shipping problem for that series. Let us hope that whatever happened in that situation is known and has been corrected before the $200.00 sets start being shipped into POSTAL LIMBO. Although , powers that be, just a little light on this subject would be appreciated, I am sure, for those who have not received their Vol. 3.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Has anyone tried the to use the order status? You are required to enter an Order I.D. and zip code. I enter my order confirmation number and the zip code and it cannot find my order. Not sure what the Order I.D. number is because it is nowhere on my printed order confirmation. Only thing listed is the order confirmation number which doesn't work.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Shortly after I ordered this I checked the order status using the order ID from my order confirmation mail. It worked, Allman's post aroused my curiosity so I have just repeated the operation and got the message that the order could not be found. Draw your own conclusions from this.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

SimonRob Got the same thing no order could be found. Thats a little worrying
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I also tried to check my order status on line with no luck. But it is just a glich in the system. I phoned Dead.net customer service with my order no. and they have it scheduled to ship 8/31, so I would say you guys can chill, all is good. I am pumped for this one. Rock on.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

so far tech guys are finding that this seems to be happening in some browsers and not others, so if you're in a hurry on this, try a different browser and see if that helps. Meanwhile, the investigation continues. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Yes the Europe 72: Complete came with the original tour book (so did the album)but the original ad had stuff like buttons, maps, tour highlights, and band stuff, stickers, posters. Spring 90 is a very wonderful time for Brent, but of course he's gone less than 6 months later. DaP3 is great, hang in there they'll get to you. Order Status and other internet access glitches, try using a different browser (if your using Explorer, try Firefox, or Chrome or some thing even more obscure. I have found that some webpages won't load with explorer but work wonderfully with firefox. so ...
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

I sincerely hope that these boxes are shipped WITH tracking numbers, unlike the Dave Pick 3 which, apparently, had no tracking number on the standard shipping . If someone out there is listening-You do not want to roll the dice with $200 dollar boxes. A SNAFU with this one would cost customers and good will not to mention money trying to replace boxes on faith. I have had other USPS snafu experience outside of Dead stuff-no one is minding the USPS store anymore.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The order status check seems to be working again - at least for me (using the same browser as always). I had checked the status of my order shortly after originally placing my order and it worked then. I was checking to see if my order had been placed OK. One can't be too careful here. I reckon! I checked it again a couple of days ago following a post suggesting that orders could not be found - my order (and others, judging by subsequent posts here) also could not be found. Now (5 minutes ago) I tried it again and it gave all the expected info regarding my order. This particular issue seems to have been fixed quickly. Good work, guys!I have also taken Mary E's advice and sent an e-mail to Dr. Rhino giving all the details of my (subscription) order for "Dave's Picks Volume 3" which has not yet arrived. I hope that the USPS issue on this is resolved just as quickly. We shall see.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I like physical product. I don't like downloads. I like liner notes and pictures that come with a physical product. I don't like the sleeves that Dick's Picks were in and although they are an improvement over those sleeves that were so tight you had to spread them with one hand while you yanked them out with the other, I don't particularly like the Digipacks that Dave's Picks use either. When a hub breaks there's no way to securely hold the disc in place and since they're glued in you can't replace the tray. I know jewel boxes are not "green" but at least the trays were replacable if the hub broke. I don't like these large oversize boxes. They don't fit on my shelves with my other releases and are a storage problem. Even the "So Many Roads", "Winterland June 1973", "Winterland 1973" and "Warlocks" sets can not be stored on their sides on my shelves because they are larger than jewel boxes. The other thing I don't like is the limited editions. I don't plan on selling my CDs so I don't need them to go up in value. I didn't buy them for investment purposes. I feel sorry for new fans who haven't bought these limited editions because they haven't yet been exposed to the Dead's music and therefore haven't bought these sets and won't be able to buy them in the future. I also feel sorry for the deadheads who can't afford them when they are released and get shut out because they go out of print. The first Dick's Picks bonus disc came in a sleeve that was wide enough to fit a paper sleeve into it. I placed the bonus disc in a paper sleeve and slipped it into the sleeve the disc came in. The paper sleeve protects the disc and it dosn't fall out. This was the only Dick's Picks bonus disc that was wide enough for a paper sleeve. All the others were tighter. Why can't the sleeves be a little bit wider in order to accomodate an inner sleeve made of paper or plastic and be marketed that way, like a mini LP album? Wouldn't that be less expensive and green? Tony
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

I just got mine today. It's a beauty. The book and other things are very nice, but as many people have pointed out will be looked at for a couple of days. I am glad they aren't listening to those who want the junky looking jewell cases. But now excuse me I have some serious listening to do. One more thing they definately don't give the numbers out in order. I bought no more than 15 min. after it went on sale and got # 6247 go figure
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

This was supposed to ship at the end of the month and you got yours today! Way to go dude! Happy listening and don't let any of the thorns on the roses catch you when they fly by. Give us a sound quality review since everybody is so opinionated about 2 vs 24 track and the amount of mixing time in the budget for this one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yes I got mine this morning. By accident kinda. The original ship date was too close to my vacation to risk so I paid for 2 day ship oh well. It's sounding mighty fine. By the way it was a surprise to me but the Dead were actually members of the British Secret Service. But it makes sense since the Queen was head of the world drug trade (same source). Don't worry I'm not nuts when you get IT you'll get it
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Hey snafu, did you get a shipping notice? I choose a quicker shipping option as well. Where do you live? I'm hoping mine comes soon, I ordered within the first 30 min
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 11 months

I received shipping notification today, including a UPS tracking number. I chose standard shipping when it was ordered. I love the early departure for this new Box Set- looking forward to it's arrival- Thank You!
product sku
GRA9900088