• 1,097 replies
    Anonymous (not verified)
    Default Avatar
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    • 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
    • 25th Anniversary Tour Program
    • Official Band Letters
    • 6 Ticket Stubs
    • 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
    • 1 Tour Laminate
    • Official 1990 Band publicity shot
    • 6 complete shows on 18 discs
          • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
          • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
          • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
    Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
    Original art by Wes Lang
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• Pancho Pantera
    Default Avatar

Please disregard this post.

• ststeve
    ...and the TOO as well...have been kicking myself ever since!
  • hlpeebles
    Dear Dead.Net,Fix the digital downloads so fans can have this music. Downloads have been listed as temporarily unavailable for a long time. When will it be fixed? Thank you
  • chMusicLife0948
    Default Avatar
    This is my first post! I would love to own a copy on digital flac of Spring 1990. Please make this available soon! Paying $1400 for Spring 1990 on eBay is pretty steep! I love the Grateful Dead and for me it's about the music, whether I own a physical copy or can purchase the music online. I am very thankful the Grateful Dead is available to purchase at other websites, https://us.7digital.com/ is a great source for Dick's Picks, Europe '72, Road Trips, etc.
  • Super Mikey
    I’m wondering the same thing! There’s a couple that I’d love to buy as digital.
  • kemo
    anybody know if this will happen anytime soon or otherwise?
  • Nicolas
    It is good to see a digital one !! :) Will order it soon ;)
  • kemo
    I am finally ready to get it. hopefully one day soon
  • GoldenCO
    Default Avatar
    Anyone know when this will become available for download again?
user picture
Default Avatar
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { jq171("h2.product_title").each(function(){ var title = jq171(this); var new_title = title.text().replace(' - SOLD OUT', ''); title.text(new_title); }); var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
• 60 page hardcover Smyth-Sewn book featuring essays by Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, and Blair Jackson and photos by Jim Anderson & Mike Laurentis
• 25th Anniversary Tour Program
• Official Band Letters
• 6 Ticket Stubs
• 6 Cloth Sticker Backstage Passes
• 1 Tour Laminate
• Official 1990 Band publicity shot
• 6 complete shows on 18 discs
      • 3/16/90 Capital Center, Landover, MD
      • 3/19/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      • 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada
      • 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      • 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      • 4/2/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA

Box Dimensions: 12-1/8" x 3-1/8" x 12-1/8"
Recorded and Mixed Live by John Cutler
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD
Original art by Wes Lang
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Introducing The Next Box: Spring 1990!

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

In his "Producer's Note" in the beautiful book that is part of the box, Lemieux, who attended the first 10 shows on the tour, states, "To my ears this was the last tour that was consistently great, where every show is excellent, not a dud in the bunch." And Grateful Dead historian Dennis McNally's comprehensive and informative insider's essay in the box is titled "The Last Great Dead Tour." These guys know what they're talking about.

Basically, the band had been on an upward trajectory since Garcia's return to the road in the spring of '87, following his near-death the previous summer. Of course, 1987 was a trip in itself, what with the unexpected mega-success of In the Dark and their first hit single, "Touch of Grey." But the momentum just kept building with each subsequent tour, as Garcia got back up to full speed (and then some!) and the group as a whole was as unified as they had ever been since Brent joined the band in the spring of '79. New original tunes were popping up and the old favorites were imbued with a freshness and spirit that was so uplifting and inspiring. The band was having fun again, and it was downright infectious.

The group's fall 1989 shows-as documented two years ago on the Formerly the Warlocks box (two shows from Hampton, VA, 10/8-9/89) and on the 2001 release Nightfall of Diamonds (a single night in NJ, 10/16/89)- kicked the energy level up another couple of notches, as the band reintroduced such loved classics as "Help on the Way" > "Slipknot!," "Attics of My Life," "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and "Dark Star."

And when the band hit the road in mid-March 1990, they had a bunch of other cool tunes to lay on their unsuspecting crowds, including the return of "Loose Lucy" (last played in 1974; it's not on this box), Brent's "Easy to Love You" (missing since 1980), a rollicking cover of the Rolling Stones' "The Last Time," The Band's "The Weight" (with all four singers taking a verse each) and a lyrically retooled "Black-Throated Wind" (absent since 1974), which elicited huge cheers every time it was played.

Over these six shows, most of the cornerstones of the Dead's repertoire from the era appear-splendid versions of "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire on the Mountain," "China Cat Sunflower" > "I Know You Rider," "Playing in the Band," "Uncle John's Band," "Eyes of the World," "Estimated Prophet," "Truckin'," "Sugar Magnolia," "The Other One," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Feel Like a Stranger," "Bird Song," "Let It Grow," "China Doll," "Box of Rain," "Morning Dew"; you name it. From the fall '89 breakouts come "Help-Slip-Frank," "Attics of My Life" and "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Among the still newish tunes are "Picasso Moon," "Blow Away," "Foolish Heart," "Just a Little Light," "Victim or the Crime," "Standing on the Moon," "We Can Run" and a couple that would get their final plays from the Grateful Dead on this tour-"Built to Last" and "Believe It or Not." There are stirring renditions of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and "Black Muddy River," rockin' takes on "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "Iko Iko" and the only version of the full "Hey Jude" the band attempted in the modern era. And the "Rhythm Devils" and "Space" jams at the heart of each second set are as noisy-beautiful-scary-funny-intense-mysterious-wild as you'd expect/hope for.

Of course, we understand that some of you may have other favorite shows from this tour you wish were included on this box. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. But at 18 discs, this is still the second largest Grateful Dead box (after Europe '72: The Complete Recordings) that's been released, and the non-inclusion of any other shows from the tour definitely does not preclude their future release! But this seemed like a more manageable way to go, while still giving a sense of the tour's amazing depth and breadth.

Besides the discs themselves, Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 has much to offer, including: a gorgeous 60-page hardcover book containing copious color photos by Jim Anderson and Michael Laurentus, unique artwork by Brooklyn-based fine artist Wes Lang, fascinating business letters and communications related to the tour, a detailed historical essay by Dennis McNally, a Producer's Note by David Lemieux and individual show descriptions by Blair Jackson; a reproduction of the Dead's 1990 tour program (printed and sold later in '90, for the fall and Europe '90 tours); tickets and backstage passes of all six shows; a band publicity photo from 1990 by Ken Friedman; Dennis McNally's tour laminate; and reproductions of the colored 8x10 sheets GDTS sent out with hotel, food and other information for each city on the tour.

With recordings made by longtime Grateful Dead recordist and producer John Cutler, mastered by Jeffrey Norman in HDCD, you just know it's gonna sound great-and it does!

So, that's the skinny this time 'round. This box is limited to just 9,000 numbered copies - please note, this is the only time these shows will ever be officially available on CD. There will not be an All Music Edition and single shows will not be available physically. Due to ship out August 31st, we anticipate that this extraordinary set will sell-out, so order your copy today!

If you're looking for more of a bite-sized taste of the '90s, Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It, a 2-CD set featuring a handful of favorites, will be in stores on September 18th.

-Blair Jackson

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

simonrob, I got the same message today! Also curious as to why someone in Holland is charged around $27 postage and yet mine in the UK is $35.95, just sayin'
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

simonrob, I got the same message today! Also curious as to why someone in Holland is charged around $27 postage and yet mine in the UK is $35.95, just sayin'
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Box arrived this morning in southern suburb of Cleveland, OH.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I got 8937, thats so cool, one of the final one hundred. Thankyou Rhino. I wont waste space complaining about complainers. The truth is everybody is experiencing thier own truth. So, I geuss im complaining abot the complainers who complain about complainers is that circular or what! nice package good books and bonus stuff. not nesacarry but nice and special. I made my first show was7-4-90 sandstone amp bonner springs thats pretty funny kansas. .I am just happy i dint get killed during the 8 month wait for e72 that was good I think they improved in some ways and declined in others, but over all the product is good and the substance is high class!!! The sound is good the mix is great the playing is good for the time, but hey i need a break from e72 and the 70's in general, i appreciate it all even the stuff from 66 , the truth is they came from somwhere and went somewhere and played many spaces between It is fasinating to listen to 72 and jump to 90 differences abound just like my summation about the box some improvments some declines, They aint perfect but they are the only ones to do what they did and are doing still and i love them all for that even the complainers God bless us, Everyone!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I got 8937, thats so cool, one of the final one hundred. Thankyou Rhino. I wont waste space complaining about complainers. The truth is everybody is experiencing thier own truth. So, I geuss im complaining abot the complainers who complain about complainers is that circular or what! nice package good books and bonus stuff. not nesacarry but nice and special. I made my first show was7-4-90 sandstone amp bonner springs thats pretty funny kansas. .I am just happy i dint get killed during the 8 month wait for e72 that was good I think they improved in some ways and declined in others, but over all the product is good and the substance is high class!!! The sound is good the mix is great the playing is good for the time, but hey i need a break from e72 and the 70's in general, i appreciate it all even the stuff from 66 , the truth is they came from somwhere and went somewhere and played many spaces between It is fasinating to listen to 72 and jump to 90 differences abound just like my summation about the box some improvments some declines, They aint perfect but they are the only ones to do what they did and are doing still and i love them all for that even the complainers God bless us, Everyone!!!
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

My wife sent me a picture of the box. Much cooler than the plain E72 box, and something nice to store it in. That phrase is what I had put on my E72 personalized sticker. Can't wait to get my ears on these - I have avoided hearing too much about the setlists so hopefully it's a surprise to me (other than the well-known selections from certain shows).
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I also don't understand the difference in shipping costs to Holland and England. I am not certain, but I seem to recall that when i ordered this the only shipping option that was suitable was International. Having checked that box, the $27.95 charge appeared. This time I don't recall seeing a choice between UPS and USPS.Stranger things have happened when ordering from here, so I guess you'll just have to live with it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hola! #2112 (anagram!) has arrived in wonderfully pristine condition here in Lexington, KY. Cannot wait to delve into the treasures. So happy I did NOT watch the "opening of the box" video (though a terrific idea). The shipping box was unexpected and way cool - - - I need how to figure out how to frame it! DCFHOF . . . it's time! Davey aka The Cyclone
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Timmaytoo got 8937, which would lead you to believe that the 9000 are sold out or damn close, yet as of this morning's info, there are more like 1900 remaining. I guess the message says "fewer than 1900" and 63 is definitely fewer than 1900. But anyway, mine should be at home when I arrive, at least based on the "out for delivery" tracking info I just saw. Yeehah, just in time for the weekend!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I haven't got mine yet, but I doubt than the limited edition number can be seen from the outside of the box.This means that you could be the only buyer and still get box number 9000. It would also mean that there is no way of allocating specific box numbers to specific order numbers. If anyone who has received theirs knows different then iit just goes to show how pointless idle speculation is.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

So I see that it was sorted and left the local USPS for delivery. I called home to ask my son to check the porch to see if a package had arrived. He said "There is a box with some skeletons on it; is that the package you are looking for"? Yes, that would be it .... But still no DaP #3 .... All in good time ....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Mine arrived at my doorstep a few hours ago and it is everything I hoped it would be. The replica tickets and passes are Deadhead-nerdlicious, I really underestimated how cool the soft cover book would be. They did a great job with the high gloss and neat imprints and amazing pictures. Each show gets its own section in the hardcover book, which also impresses. It is always tough to part with $200 for a box set, but I have no buyers remorse after thumbing through the amazingness in this box....and I have yet to even pop a cd in the music machine!
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Hola - 2112=Palidrome NOT Anagram. Sorry, I will need to turn myself into P.O.E.M. (Professional Organization of English Majors). By the way, the ticket stubs nearly brought tears of remembrance to my eyes . . . always loved getting the GDTS tickets with the Taper stamp. Beyond cool. Yippe! It's grate to be a Hippee! Davey aka The Cyclone
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

"#2112 (anagram!) has arrived in wonderfully pristine condition here in Lexington, KY. Cannot wait to delve into the treasures." When I saw you got number "2112", I immediately thought about "Rush". An album that used to get endless play on my turntable back in the day. I have a copy coming with an order placed with a friend of mine to his address so we could save on shipping costs. Hopefully I'll get a phone call from him shortly when he gets home from work advising me that "It's here". I just started listening to my copy of Daves picks 3, which arrived today in my mailbox.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Everyone who is upset by the fact that their box set numbers don't coincide with when they actually ordered the box set really need to get over it. All that matters is that you actually received the music and if you're one of those people that bought it just to sell it and wanted a low number to make more money then I'm glad you didn't get what you wanted. GET OVER IT!
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I honestly was expecting to wait at least a week, but lo and behold...the box, including the exquisite shipping box,..was there on the table waiting for me with the "good things are coming OUR way" caption facing me...indeed! So,..without furthur adu (sp?!!),...Thank you,..thank you..one hundred thousand thank you's. Y'all have outdone yourselves this time. The Spring 1900 Box is absolutely heavenly.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

I would imagine if someone bought a set(s) in order to sell it at a profit, they wouldn't open the shrink wrap, and thus would never know what number the set(s) they were selling had. Are the people who are just now receiving DP3 subscribers? Because I got my copy a couple of weeks ago.
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

what makes your opinions so valid i need to hold them too? its a valid complaint, especially when you consider customers were given false information. i've listened to the first show. i'm happy with the music, but part of me feels jaded.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Mine (#5838) came today (contrary to my previous experience, by the mail carrier). The updated delivery/tracking e-mail was completely accurate, said it left the local P.O. this morning, so I went home for lunch and was there to receive it. The first disc sounds pretty good so far, and I like the packaging, even though that's not what I bought it for . . .
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 5 months

The box arrived in the mail today here in beautiful New Jersey. First show sounds great so far. I ordered early but not so early that no 93 makes sense compared to others here. I have no intention of selling so the number is meaningless in any event. Back to the music....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 5 months

The box arrived in the mail today here in beautiful New Jersey. First show sounds great so far. I ordered early but not so early that no 93 makes sense compared to others here. I have no intention of selling so the number is meaningless in any event. Back to the music.... Sorry for the double posting.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

that I would want to keep the shipping container!! As far as "My box number doesn't correspond to when I ordered the set WAHHHHHH!" -- Well, that was not part of the pitch at the web site. What you say customer service told you don't matter a whack to anybody. You know a lot. But you don't yet know "customer service" doesn't know a thing? In this forum and elsewhere, you're a known serial complainer. Sorry, known whiner. Sorry, I meant, really, known bore. We're falling asleep. Time to tune out Fox and in Box.
user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

Box arrived today (awesome), but one of the discs in the fifth show is completely cracked and the sixth show packaging is torn down the middle. I hope everyone else gets theirs in the correct amount of pieces. Happy listening.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

WOW!!! This box set looks absolutely fantastic! The shipping box is a cool surprise too. Hey #8150 and #8152 are you out there? Do you live next door to me? Just kidding.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

#7055First off, the shipping box is great...what a phenomenal way to see that Spring 1990 had arrived. The packaging is just as I would have expected...the program, the book, etc. are all top quality. Am just listening to the first show in Landover and the boys sound great. I know it is a lot of money but, in my opinion, it is worth it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

anyone with overnight shipping receive anything yet? email, box, anything...?
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Nope. I called customer service and they really don't know anything either.
user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

This is a terrific boxed set. Dislc one sounds unbelievable i love the package books and goodies. Time to.put disc twos on. Thanks David for putting this out
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Still waiting on mine. I ordered it right as it opened for sale. I can't get any tracking info at all and for $35 shipping you'd think could get it right. I got the shirts I ordered at the same time a week ago and got another email yesterday says they were shipping that part of the order. (the shirts)So where is the set. I live in WA state and that's a damn lot closer that GB. They were so much better when they did their sales Inhouse.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

The Packaging is totally A-grade. I don't know how often I'll peruse the extra material, but there is no doubt that this is high quality stuff. I am looking forward to diving into it tomorrow...
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

i was perfectly happy with the show selections. i dropped $200 + tax in the first 10 minutes it became available. i was told on 2 separate occasions the limited edition number would reflect this, but it didn't. its a legitimate complaint. if it bores you why engage me? you're just looking for a fight, because you can't get hurt on the internet. every time i have an issue someone confronts me. i don't need more '70s dead, and i'm a little pissed i paid for the box set right away. i could have just waited a week when i'd have more funds available. those are the only complaints i've leveled thus far. some of you act like any complaint is akin to pissing on jerry's grave. in this case its an honest observation, but i guess i should just get down on my knees, and thank my lucky stars that we're so fortunate the grateful dead are still willing to profit off of us. some of you are just such suck ups it makes me want to barf. i bet you brought your teachers apples everyday too?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I'm not sure why Rhino can't get a proper product out - but after an absolutely horrible time getting the E72 set - the Spring 90 Box arrived with a cracked disc 2 of 3/22/90. When I called "the special hotline support" I was told it would take 2-3 days before someone from "support" would approve sending a replacement. When I asked to speak to support, naturally they don't have a phone (per Michelle who took my call). They must be the only support department on the planet without a PHONE. So if anyone has any juice at Dead.Net - how about getting me my disc 2 and that would be much appreciated.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I'm not sure why Rhino can't get a proper product out - but after an absolutely horrible time getting the E72 set - the Spring 90 Box arrived with a cracked disc 2 of 3/22/90. When I called "the special hotline support" I was told it would take 2-3 days before someone from "support" would approve sending a replacement. When I asked to speak to support, naturally they don't have a phone (per Michelle who took my call). They must be the only support department on the planet without a PHONE. So if anyone has any juice at Dead.Net - how about getting me my disc 2 and that would be much appreciated.
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

I thought a friend of mine had ordered this set. He said he was going to make copies for me. Lo and behold, it's one of his friend's who ordered it. So, rather than accepting copies of copies, I decided to get one for myself. I'm not happy with the price tag and had more than a couple second thoughts, but I figure that the set will remain mint for many years and may one day bring a nice dollar on eBay one day.
user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

I'm with you there. For me, it's Show 5 Disc 1 and the packaging for Show 6. I was routed to a different Customer Services number where no one answered (even after 30 minutes).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I also have a cracked disc 3 from 3/22/90. Called the support number. They had me call 1-800-546-3670, which ended up to be Dr. Rhino. No-one answered. It went immediately to a voicemail box. I left a message but will probably follow it up with e-mails to both Dead.net support and Dr. Rhino tomorrow. Never dealt with them before so I'm not sure what to expect or in what time frame. I'm almost through the first show and pretty happy with what I am hearing. I also EAC'd the whole set and no other errors came up. So far it's just that one snag that I need ironed out. We'll see what happens. I might stay up and listen to a second show tonight although I'm fading. Enjoy
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Wow, someone actually cares what number they get on their box set? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. As long as it's in the first 9,000, you should be grateful. I got in on Dave's Picks within 5 minutes of getting the message. So far, I'm 3775/12000, 2934/12000 and 982/12000. So what? The music is the same on #1 as it is on #12,000. I'm not sure how anyone could expect a fulfillment process to take the time they made their order into consideration for anything. Then again, some people think they are the center of the universe.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Wow, you guys have some bad luck. I have purchased a couple thousand jazz, classical and rock cd's, and I have never gotten one that was cracked. Of course I have received duplicates and cd's with glitches, but of the 100+ I have purchased from dead.net I have never had a single problem. For the record, I got my box today, a week early. When I saw it on the porch I was worried, because one of the corners was bashed in...someone had obviously dropped it. When I opened the shipping box and removed the indian head box, there was no damage, not even a dent on the corner that hit the ground. I listened to the first show this evening and it sounds great, thanks for another solid release.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

Arrived today and I'm just lovin' it. Seriously, when unboxing this thing it is clear they put a lot of love and care into it. It says something about the fun (remember fun?) of owning the physical product. Lots to look at - it creates a who experience while listening to this amazing and timeless music. Can't wait till the next box set!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

They so messed up my E72 order that someone from Rhino corporate ended up making it happen for me after some time. Hopefully we both get our replacements quickly.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

They so messed up my E72 order that someone from Rhino corporate ended up making it happen for me after some time. Hopefully we both get our replacements quickly.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Until E72 - the only problem I had was with the 9/16/90 Disc 1 of the MSG Dicks's Picks. But that was a problem that many had and the replacement was painless. That was also before Rhino. I also have thousands and can only think of two that I've bought that have problems - this and a Steve Winwood CD from Mobile Fidelity of all places.

Member for

16 years 9 months

This box is beautiful. Hoped I might arrive home to find it waiting, and it was! Haven't heard a note yet, but the hardcover book is really sweet, some GREAT pictures in it ~ especially Jerry. The tickets are fun, and quite perfect replicas ~ my brother saw the red-tinted Copps one and said, "that's it!, one night was blue and the other night was red." I'll have to bust out my stubs from that tour, but ~ unlike the one here ~ I didn't have mail order tix for Cap Centre. Anyway, being tucked into a tiny little compartment you otherwise wouldn't notice, they're easily ignored if you so choose ~ I like 'em. Sad to see the Brent tribute at the back of the Europe tour book. I was in Europe that summer, calling home from Prague ~ where phone service then was, wait in line for 20 minutes, then get 3 minutes on the phone, and that's it. My Mom had just told me that "one of the Grateful Dead died." "WHICH ONE?" I asked in excited despair. Before she could answer, my 3 minutes ended. I had to wait in line again, wondering all the way who was gone. When my brother got on and said "Brent," I was absolutely stunned. I think he was the only one I DIDN'T imagine..... Anyway, gotta say I'm particularly looking forward to 3/30 ~ haven't heard it since the night happened. For some reason, it was always missing from the Archive, and I never had the tape. Wish Crazy Fingers -> Playing from 3/14 was filler on Landover, but David seems to be strongly implying the shows NOT chosen will be released; or they're all prime candidates, at least. Hence the filler only for the Albany show that's otherwise released. Plenty to listen to for now. I'm fading, too, to quote someone else tonight, but I think I'm going to open the book to page one and pop a disc on....say, "Iko Iko" to start 2nd set Nassau.......?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I was impressed seeing the box yesterday. Under promise and over deliver, its a good strategy. I paid $13 for standard shipping and received it in 2 days. I'm not sure it matters which method you pay for, it probably all goes the same way. My only complaint is the USPS beat up one of corners. I ordered the first days and received a number in the high 7000s. I loved the extras. I'm in my 40s, but oly discovered the GD a couple of years ago, but have managed to picked up a lot of the backlist, including all but 8 of the dicks picks, all the road trips, but I am missing the 69 Fillmore box set. On ebay, I saw a limited box set of a GD, Allman Brothers concert. I'm wondering what others think of it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I was impressed seeing the box yesterday. Under promise and over deliver, its a good strategy. I paid $13 for standard shipping and received it in 2 days. I'm not sure it matters which method you pay for, it probably all goes the same way. My only complaint is the USPS beat up one of corners. I ordered the first days and received a number in the high 7000s. I loved the extras. I'm in my 40s, but oly discovered the GD a couple of years ago, but have managed to picked up a lot of the backlist, including all but 8 of the dicks picks, all the road trips, but I am missing the 69 Fillmore box set. On ebay, I saw a limited box set of a GD, Allman Brothers concert. I'm wondering what others think of it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Like both Bnewton and ziggybirds, I have purchased tons of Cd's, litterly more than a few thousand. In 30 years I probably have had less then 10 bad discs. I don't think I ever got one cracked. The person assembling these sets, if hand assembled, probably forced the disc on the digi pack spindle. That's my guess. From what a gather from reading the Europe 72 thread, dealing with Dr. Rhino for replacements can be a pain in the neck. Still, I'm giving them the benefit that they will be accountable and I'll get some kind open communication from them in a timely manner and a resolution.Digging into some more shows this afternoon though. Loving the box!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

Frunobulax for the center of the universe maybe you should look in the mirror. Some people think their perspective is the only way to look at life. Let me explain. Some people are what are called collectors. Doesn't matter what stamps coins beanie babies whatever. It's irrelevant what you think of the items only what the collector thinks (one man gathers what another man spills). Now the numbers. For some collectors (most?) the lower the number on limited editions the more valuable (again irrelevant if you don't think so you clearly aren't a collector in the sense I am using it). I ordered within 15 min. of it going online and got # 6147. Luckily for me the number isn't really that important. And yes they could easily give the early birds the lower numbers other collectables do it all the time. The community is made up of all kinds of people with many interests. Some pick and choose the shows they but, some buy them all. To think your way is the only way is mistaken
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

funny, I ordered mine last friday (August 17) and got 4179.
product sku
GRA9900088