• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You’re a fucking genius!

• jameslily96
    Always Need To Consider Sound Quality And Product Quality

we need to focus on best sound quality whenever checking audio and sound related product online now a days

• KenRat
    Default Avatar

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

• whatsappnumb
    Default Avatar
    Its good to see this post and I really appreciate the author for better informative articles like this and more in the future.http://whatsappnumb.com
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    great blogfriendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    really impressed with the post.friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Jee main 2018 cutoff
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Good to hear that it sounds damn goodRomantic Shayari Good Night Sms
  • amarsriv22
    Default Avatar
    Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture

Member for

17 years

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I see over on BobDylan.com that (the 5000 copies only) The Bootleg Series Vol. 12 Collector’s Edition Box set has finally SOLD OUT. That fact doesn't seem to be setting eBay on fire. I found only one listing today and that was pretty much at cost.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

So how do I order one..The order page devoted this Box srtill states the Box is sold out.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

The 60 found boxes sold out in 42 minutes on Thursday Rock on
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

This is cornerstone music.Just add "Non-numbered/Unlimited Edition" to the packaging and use a flimsy slipcase and a thinner booklet. That way the limited edition buyers (of which I am one) have something to gloat about and the folks who want this gemstone-music can get it. I really dislike the limited-edition model. It helps move product and that enables the release of lots of music. That part is wonderful. But it directly appeals to people who get their joy from seeing other people lose. It's the sort of marketing behavior that goes against the Woodstocknation ethic and it poisons the well and it attracts jerks to our subculture. I did feel burned when the E72 box got rereleased as a "music only" box and then got rereleased again as individual shows. But I do think my being burned in that way was a much smaller negative then was denying access to that music to all the Deadfans that wanted it and should have it. "Bad karma" comes from saying "I got mine and I don't want you to have what I have".
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

DL's email to me on this box set mentioned that the original listing for the release said that the music would NEVER be available again. Apparently, they have avoided that language in subsequent box set releases. Just look above at the listing for the 30 trips where it says the music will never be available on CD again but makes no mention of a digital release. David claims that because the 69 box set wording was so ironclad there doesn't appear to be a loophole for a re-release (and he says they have also considered this at length). Personally, I would buy that box set within the first 5 minutes that it was up if it were available but I don't think it's ever going to happen.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

well said, Seth!This is the same thought process that caused some collectors to destroy rare blues 78's back in the 60s...Canned Heat's Bob Hite was known to have destroyed a few, just so that nobody else could have them. I don't get it. I also own FW 69, it would make no difference to me if they released another few thousands.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I'm holding out for the Limited Edition cassette single Hey Jude from 3/1/69.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Yes, reissue it as a limited edition of 16,000.$130 each + shipping and sales taxes where applicable. For that $130 you'll get the four shows - 2/27, 2/28, 3/1 & 3/2/1969 in 4 tye-dyed design artwork, thin cardboard type sleeves with a simple booklet with only the song titles, the track times, the songwriters credits and publishers credits with two or three photos, WITHOUT AN ESSAY, all enclosed in a lightweight cardboard case with artwork similar to the original 2005 issue.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

"Space, you always point out that downloading music for free is bad juju, and is ripping off the band. Now you want the FW69 box so bad, that you think it would be ok for Rhino to make a few cosmetic changes and to break their promise to folks who originally bought it at the limited number that it was originally sold at? Shame on you Space bro. Maybe you are showing us your true colors? That it is ok for Rhino to screw the original buyers so that you get something you badly want? Bad karma baby." 1. stealing officially released music and encouraging others to do so through download bootlegs is a crime. 2. re-releasing this and people stealing/encouraging others to steal are two completely different non-related things. 3. How would re-releasing for those who would love and appreciate this music screw buyers who already own it? The way I see those who have a vested interest in not wanting FW '69 re-released are scalpers, those who are considering reselling their own copies for a hefty profit and freeloaders. Is there anybody here who would actually have the audacity sue the Dead and Rhino and screw the band out of more money if they were to re-release FW'69?
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

What kind of contract would say the music can never be released ever again in perpetuity? One of the most whack things I've ever heard. (Intellectual property rights attorneys chime in here.) Not only sounds anti-Dead, pro-tape sharing philosophy but also kinda crazy. Imagine [insert your favorite book here] was allowed one small print run only and could never be printed again. Don't care if it's Kerouac or the Bible, that would be plain crazy. Why not spread the music to as many interested Heads as possible, who are willing to pay? Gotta pass the flames on to the young folks too. Why not simply put the music in a different format and packaging, as SpaceBro hints at? Why not a downloadable version of the music w/o fancy packaging? (Think Europe '72 Music Only download.) My 30 Trips are kept in a nice Uggs shoebox in the closet b/c I didn't want to buy the trippy box itself off Ebay, just the music. (The wife loves her shoes and boots.) Heck, at some point even Rhino's rights to the music expire and it goes back to the Dead and in time public domain. If Rhino can make some money off it in the meantime, it's all good with me. I'd buy Winterland '77, too FWIW. Downloadable is fine. Creative attorneys can do anything. Spread the love, not the greed. Can't lock away great music forever. Hell, it should be in the LIbrary of Congress alongside Woody Guthrie's recordings. My two cents. Sorry for the rant. Had too much coffee again......
user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

All of us and many others will still buy every release. 'Limited' does not affect my purchasing decisions, but it has caused me to miss out on FW69 and the Eur 72 box because I moved too slow. The more they sell the more $ they make.Set a 1st run production number and then throw in bonus material to lure in us addicts. Then a few years later do another production run if demand warrants it but don't include the bonus material.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

The Dylan Box buyers also received a few extra hours of rare Dylan from 65-66, that was only available via download for added value. (This is SONY afterall, giving something away for free.)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I am fully supportive of a re-release of the FW69 box. The whole reason I have the info that I have is that (being the anal retentive completist that I am) I emailed David Lemieux to ask why in the hell the box set hadn't been reissued. Any deadhead that has looked at eBay in the last 5 years can see that this box is in absurdly high demand. I hate the idea of limited releases and find it absurd that they would limit anything. The only thing that does is drive up the price on secondary markets (just look at the 30 trips box on eBay).
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

I throw my 2 cents into this, I agree with those that say a release of limited edition stuff as maybe a digital download is just fine with me. As always if price is the limiting factor I can not believe you can't find someone to make you a copy. Some say "oh that's illegal", sounds like corporate lawyer talk to me. I agree you shouldn't be knocking out 1,000 copies of something and selling them at the local flea market, but to slip a buddy a copy, fuck no. I remember when people didn't even think twice about making a cassette copy for a friend. Of course the "industry" hated that, they even tried to get a "tax" on blank tapes to cover the "losses" they were suffering. What hogwash! The record companies seem to be doing fine! Ebay prices will disappear or come down if people stop buying them, just like tickets for sporting events (which sports fan seem to believe are way out of whack). Remember when FM first took off and stations would play a perfect album side, even told you when to start your tape. I'm sorry if the record industry makes a product that is easy to copy. Why didn't they just keep producing records? You couldn't copy them as easily as cd. Because they wanted to squeeze out the free music of radio, cd's people would buy more of because you could take them in your car. Did the industry ever return money for those shit 8 tracks that they sold? Or even the shit cassettes they sold? Those store bought tapes NEVER lasted long, but a good maxell made at home lasted forever? I still have cassettes I made from 1980 that play just fine. But the few store bought ones I got the cases always warped in the heat.I think I can most assuredly say that if you could shove a new caddy into a port of the computer and have it shit out a new caddy, everyone would have a new caddy and be saying fuck GM. (probably a lot of people already saying that) You don't see anyone making "illegal" copies of books and you could zerox a whole book. I'm surprise the corporate lawyers haven't tried to shut down public libraries, since they allow people to listen, read and view all copyright material without paying any fee to the owner of the copy right material. There was a point when Mickey Mouse was about to enter the public domain and Disney just couldn't let that happen, so they had congressman Sony Bono push thru a revision of the copyright laws that allowed them to keep the copyright. (see - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act ) Technically if you owned a bar, you couldn't play cd's you own there without a fee being paid to industry. CD's YOU OWN! Can you imagine if you bought a repair guide for a car you owned and you got a second car of the same make and being told you couldn't use that manual to fix the second car, that the use of the manual was only for the first car. You have that same thing with software you buy, you buy the package but can't use it where ever you want, only once (maybe 3 times for some) Sorry I've rambled a bit, but corporations piss me off. They want risk socialize and profits privatized. They want to be citizens with no one responsible for jail time. Fuck them! Record profits and the world still fights for crumbs. On the illegal front, I get a chuckle out of this. I thought it was illegal to bring "drugs" into shows or buy and sell them. Oh, I forgot nobody who went to dead shows did drugs. Like nobody in England watches Doctor Who. The show has been on for 50 years and nobody admits they watch it! Just like back in the .net days, nobody on net.dead did drugs! I must have always got seated next to the same other 2 people who did :-) Once again sorry for the excessive rambling.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Dennis Wilmot, feel free to ramble on, you made some good points in a funny way. it sounds like I may have been one of the same two people seated next to you at shows;)For my two cents, I have the 30 trips box and it wouldn't bother me a bit if they made another production run in the future, with or without all the extras. I didn't buy it as an investment, I purchased it because I wanted to have the music and after missing out on FW69 I knew I would regret not having it more than I would regret spending the money. At some point I would like to pick up FW69, but there is a limit to what I can pay and feel OK about the purchase. I understand that the limited edition model is probably what makes the ongoing releases possible to this extent, so it is what it is, but it seems that they could set it up so that it would be possible to reissue things after some period of time. As far as copying limited edition releases, I guess the band makes their money when the original sale occurs and are unaffected by any subsequent transactions, so there's that.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

glad to hear the 69 shrine vinyl release sounds so good. i plan on picking one up soon. as for the 69 box, and other limited releases, i think rhino needs to view their 'investment' in the grateful dead as being holders of something culturally significant. limited edition stuff should be just the initial physical product, but everything should be available via download. as i've said before, they should act like smithsonian/folkways, where nothing they have ever released goes out of print. you can't go to their site and order an original woody guthrie or leadbelly record, those have been out of print forever, but you can download it or order a custom burned cd. there is nothing you can not order. i believe rhino is just waiting for the last 150 usb's to sell, then they will offer all 30 shows via download. as for the 69box, i don't remember their wording, but a physical product probably can't, or shouldn't, be re-released that way, but all 4 shows should be put out via download, if the suits think they can legally do it. if not, lesson learned....
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

FWIW, let me echo SpaceBro's (and others) sentiment: I own FW'69, and enjoy it immensely.By all means, re-release it, so that more people can enjoy it. I do not mind scalping, or a secondary market. In general, I don't mind limited editions, bonus discs with first runs etc; companies can run their business as they see fit. But I'm a capitalist through and through: if more people want it, and Rhino can make more money, by all means let's do it. I know that the secondary market, at least in this particular case, exists bcause Rhino said that FW'69 would never be released (in any form?) again. Some people would feel cheated if, after paying a lot (NOT to Rhino though), it was re-released. But surely most Deadheads would want other Deadheads to be able to acquire this set, and there should be some way around it (cheaper packaging or whatever) to get past this?
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

if they want to re-release they would definetely need a new mix. I dont think packaging much to do with it
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Not sure what the exact wording was when they first released it, but some of the music included in the set has been available on the 3 disc compilation.Rhino could produce a set with all 4 FW 69 shows, add 2-11-69 Fillmore East release, change the name and add a disclaimer that would say something like "portions of this set was previously released as Ltd Edition FW box set, etc." Lots of "limited Edition only", and "promo only" music has been re-released that way.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Somebody on the other thread, I forget who, brought up a point about the secondary market, which was basically that Rhino depends on it to ensure they sell x number of copies of each release in a very short amount of time. This guy who wrote the article worked for a record company or something, I wish I could find the post. But it totally makes sense. Basically, Rhino needs to sellout each release in 3 or 4 weeks to not only be profitable, but to extend the life of the series. By making it limited edition, they sellout immediately and actually rely on the secondary market to be there and buy out what the individuals don't buy. It amounts to free distribution for Rhino. They sell off their 16,500 Dave's Picks in a week, and never pay a dime in distribution costs. For Rhino this means more dollars per unit and less units sold to make both make a profit and re-invest in the next release (and making the next profit). So I get it. Rhino is a very unique position, in that they have a rare product with seemingly no end, and this thing called the internet. And in fact, these very message boards are a major source of advertisement. I'm just happy I'm ahead of the curve now. I spent a lot on eBay back-filling my Dead collection. What I would be interested in, is the legalities involved in re-issuing a product that they originally sold as a limited quantity item. Even if legal, I doubt they would do it, out of fear of ruining their current, buy it now, while it's hot sales model, which is undoubtedly working. One thing I feel confident in, is that if Rhino felt that re-releasing FW 69 Complete would be profitable in the long run, they would do it (and perhaps they will). But I imagine it's a tricky balance, as Morning Sun said - never underestimate the turmoil of breaking a promise to the original people who bought it (of whom I am not one - fucker cost me 400 bucks). Plus I'm sure they all have a dozen copies of all of them that they're saving for 10 years from now when they're going for a grand on eBay ;-)
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Moses GuestLive Stages Get some...it's good. :) ...Over The Car->Under The Stairs...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

You are spot on!
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Wish i could take the credit, but anyway, this guy (maybe wjonjd) explained the record company business pretty good, and it made the most sense to me. Trying to get into this one, but having difficulty. I like most 76, and just had a great time with DP 33. I am really psyched for DaP 18.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Getting to love this period of the Dead. For a while I thought Jerry's chops during that period were not as sharp as before, but after I listened to some of these 90's Trips, it seems his playing is deceptively low key, but just as good as any other previous year.The difference is, at least for the 93 Trip, he's mostly using a very clear, crystalline sound with no overdrive at all, except on songs like Hell in a Bucket and Same Thing. Would love to know what kind of pickup he had on that guitar...sounds like a single-coil Strat pickup to my ears, or something very similar. The solos in Bertha and Peggy O are top notch. He was definitely going for different, more subtle licks. I hear a lot of Hank Marvin in his tone, when he's playing really clean.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

The Ark box 3 days of shows at the Ark in Boston MA, 3 months before it became the 2nd Boston Tea Party location. Both the reels and cassettes of these shows from Bear have been returned to the vault. Still touring in support of Anthem of the Sun, and just about to release Aoxomoxoa, it has the Magnificent Seven lineup in all it's glory. April 21, 1969 The Ark - Boston, MA Set 1 (61:52) 01 - Introduction (1.29) 02 - Hard To Handle (5.26) 03 - Morning Dew (9.25) 04 - Cryptical Envelopment (1.57) > 05 - Drums (0.39) > 06 - The Other One (9.10) > 07 - Cryptical Envelopment (7.54) > 08 - Sittin' On Top Of The World (3.27) 09 - Alligator (4.06) > 10 - Drums (3.26) > 11 - Jam (7.46) > 12 - Doin' That Rag (7.02) Set 2 (89:57) 13 - Foxy Lady Jam (3.25) 14 - Dark Star (22.41) > 15 - St. Stephen (6.52) > 16 - The Eleven (10.59) > 17 - Turn On Your Lovelight (25.25) Encore: 18 - Tuning (1.08) 19 - Viola Lee Blues (13.48) > 20 - Feedback (5.39) https://archive.org/details/gd1969-04-21.sbd.miller.tomp.124439.flac16 April 22, 1969 The Ark - Boston, MA Set 1: d1t01 - Sittin' On Top Of The World d1t02 - Morning Dew d1t03 - Beat It On Down The Line -> d1t04 - Good Morning Little Schoolgirl d1t05 - Doin' That Rag d1t06 - Cryptical Envelopment -> d1t07 - Drums -> d1t08 - The Other One -> d1t09 - Cryptical Envelopment -> d1t10 - Death Don't Have No Mercy Set 2: d1t11 - Monitor Levels d1t12 - Dupree's Diamond Blues -> d1t13 - Mountains Of The Moon -> d2t01 - Jam -> d2t02 - Dark Star -> d2t03 - St. Stephen -> d2t04 - The Eleven -> d2t05 - Turn On Your Lovelight https://archive.org/details/gd1969-04-22.sbd.miller.88466.sbeok.flac16 April 23, 1969 The Ark - Boston, MA Set 1: d1t01 - Introduction d1t02 - He Was A Friend Of Mine d1t03 - Dark Star -> d1t04 - St. Stephen -> d1t05 - It's A Sin -> d1t06 - St. Stephen -> d1t07 - Cryptical Envelopment -> d1t08 - Drums -> d1t09 - The Other One -> d1t10 - Cryptical Envelopment -> d1t11 - Sittin' On Top Of The World -> d2t01 - Turn On Your Lovelight Set 2: d2t02 - Morning Dew d2t03 - Hard To Handle d2t04 - Doin' That Rag d3t01 - Alligator -> d3t02 - Drums -> d3t03 - Jam -> d3t04 - The Eleven -> d3t05 - Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) -> d3t06 - Feedback -> d3t07 - And We Bid You Good Night Encore: d3t08 - Not Fade Away tease d3t09 - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue https://archive.org/details/gd1969-04-23.sbd.miller.98968.sbeok.flac16
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I (gasp!) agree with Spacebrother. It shouldn't bother anyone if this treasure trove gets re-released. I opened mine the day I got it, flipped through the book multiple times, bent the pages by accident, nicked the corners of the box, and have played the CDs to death. The box is obviously well-loved, and I would hope everyone who wanted to hear the music owns a copy (although this obviously isn't the case). I wouldn't sell mine for a million dollars (ok, well MAYBE a million, but definitely not $999,999) The thing is, there's a difference between what should happen in a perfect world, and what happens in a real one. We live in a word where "limited" means something to certain people. When something is marketed as limited, 9,800 people might have no problem if TPTB went back on their word, but the remaining 200 might. And legally, they'd have a legitimate complaint. A re-release is legally out of the question, although it shouldn't be.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I think they (all hail TPTB) have smartened up and now the wording is much more specific as to what is limited. Limited Edition packaging is one trick, so is the Limited Edition bonus disk, which limits those items but leave the main content more open to future digital distribution or repackaging.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Re-release it as a "digital download" lossless formats only, sans bonus disc.Enough said on the subject from me.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I agree with Kayak Guy with a release of the Ark run as a box set.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Cousins of the... - I have spouted off about that 3/27/93 show many times, but I'll repeat: I was there as well and it was a great show - both sets are memorable, and a unique setlist: BT Wind, Broken Arrow, Casey Jones, Loose Lucy, Comes A Time, I Fought the Song encore with Vince jumping up to fire six shots toward center stage. We smiled and high fived each other all the way back to the hotel. Agree that Jerry's tone and technique got very subtle and understated mid '90s... sometimes too subtle and absent-minded on off nights, but shows like this one hit the bullseye. That 10/1/94 show from TTATS box also surprised me with its tasty guitar work by the Fat Man. (Remember the bumper stickers? "The Fat Man Rocks!") "69 ark box would be amazing!!! I'm salivating looking at those setlists - It's like the FW '69 box on acid. LoveJerry - totally agree on the Ebay strategy for resale. Makes sense. Keeping a library of all the releases stocked is expensive, so just doing a one-off run that sells out instantly is the cleanest way to do it without residual expenses down the road. Just press 16,500, collect the dough, and move on. Gotta be lean and profitable - a one time run is the only way to do that. And if some Ebay entrepreneurs make a few bucks, so be it. It's not like they're getting rich off it (unless some people actually buy at huge markups not realizing they're being fleeced.) As for re-releasing FW '69 - Realistically, How many would they sell??? My friends and 80% of the hard core fans already own it. The folks that want a copy should find a way to get one.... shouldn't be too hard to track down (I'm not too crazy about this - just ask a buddy for slightly compressed 320kbps version so you won't go to hell). They COULD re-release it for download only, but there's a ton of cost in that as well for a potentially MUCH smaller run.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Last comment on this. I'm fine with things as they are, and obviously the current business model is working because we've got Rhino putting out phenomenal-sounding, quality shows at a rapid pace. This all works great for me and other Deadheads! The snooze and lose model for limited releases and bonus discs gets Rhino paid upfront and in-full. Still all good for me. I'm fine with my 3-CD FW69 set for now also (Maybe sometime I'll choose to drop a grand on Ebay for the full set If I really wanted to. That would be my choice, and I could listen to them with my new spouse after my beautiful wife would likely leave me in horror.) I'm just saying big picture, at some point in time, I have little doubt all the music will be available for release in digital format for all who want to pay a bit. Cost will be little to nothing to the music vendors who will no longer need to manufacture or stock hard inventory. For better or worse, the days of the CD are probably limited. I won't miss them honestly. I do love vinyl and have fond memories of reel to reels, but that's probably because that's what I grew up with. But honestly, big picture, I see music going digital with streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, or whoever in the near future. Want to listen to any Dick's Pick? Cue it up on your app and turn the volume up to skull shattering volume level. That's here now. I'm ecstatic to be buying GDM CDs for now, and I have dug Rhino for a long time. (Spent many hours going through the vinyl LP racks at the Westwood Blvd. store.) But after enough years have passed, and my limited run is up, when many of us are at the great festival beyond, where Jerry is always jamming and the show never ends, I would hope the music is available for all and not locked-away in lost box sets. That's why the "can't be re-released ever clause" with FW69 freaked me out a bit, and seemed whack. "Nuff said from me. Bring on Dave's 18 and Bicentennial fever. Listening to Cow Palace '76 again today. Also, can't hype 30TATS enough. Buy the Bolt now, if you don't have this! (Talkin' to you new girl who likes yo-yo'ing!) I should have. Bought my 30 Trips off Ebay and paid a bit more. And yes, the 90's shows are mind-blowing. I'd foolishly stopped listening to anything post-78 and had no idea what I was missing. Jerry and the crew will have their place in the Library of Congress and Smithsonian next to Woody Guthrie someday--no doubt of that. They are an integral part of American culture and have earned their place there. If folks want to wait awhile, it's allright with me. No hurry really. It's all good. Peace.
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

After reading all of your comments I feel like I am a "complete "idiot" when it comes to The Dead. I find most of your comments very insightful. I would like to see the following done in box sets; Madison Square Garden shows Las Vegas Shows Red Rocks Shows I am sure that they are all available but would like to see them done with music liner info...SACD quality. I am sure that there are many box sets all of you would like done. Mr. Pete-------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I believe someone around here has mentioned his hope for a MSG '79 box once or maybe even twice.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

This 3-night stand from October 72 would make for a really great little set - I believe Dick had a soft-spot for the middle night in particular. The Dead appeared there 8 times from 70 through 72 and seemed to really enjoy playing this classic movie house with its wonderful acoustics.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Ask and you shall receive, though you need to make your own cover art. From various vault leaks you can make your own Fox box. Grateful Dead -- Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO October 17, 1972 Source: MSR>C>DATs>CDRs>EAC>SHN Disk 1: Set 1 1. Promised Land 2. Bird Song 3. El Paso 4. Sugaree 5. Me And My Uncle (Missing Tennessee Jed) 6. Big River 7. China Cat Sunflower > 8. I Know You Rider 9. Black Throated Wind 10. Deal Disk 2: Set 1, cont. 1. Cumberland Blues 2. Playing In The Band 3. Casey Jones Set 2 4. Greatest Story Ever Told 5. Don't Ease Me In 6. Mexicali Blues 7. Black Peter 8. Me And Bobby McGee 9. Bertha (missing Jack Straw) (missing Friend Of The Devil) (Missing Beat It On Down The Line) (missing Ramble On Rose) Disk 3: Set 2, cont. 1. Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo 2. Sugar Magnolia 3. Not Fade Away > 4. Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > 5. Not Fade Away 6. Encore: Uncle John's Band 7. Encore: Johnny B. Goode https://archive.org/details/gd72-10-17.sbd.sacks.2219.sbeok.shnf Grateful Dead - October 18, 1972 Fox Theatre - St. Louis, MO Recording Info: SBD -> Master Reel -> Dat Set 1: d1t01 - Bertha d1t02 - Me And My Uncle d1t03 - Don't Ease Me In d1t04 - Mexicali Blues d1t05 - Brown Eyed Women d1t06 - Beat It On Down The Line d1t07 - Bird Song d1t08 - Big River d1t09 - Loser d1t10 - Jack Straw d1t11 - Big Railroad Blues d2t01 - El Paso d2t02 - China Cat Sunflower -> d2t03 - I Know You Rider Set 2: d2t04 - Playing In The Band -> d2t05 - Drums -> d3t01 - Dark Star -> d3t02 - Morning Dew -> d3t03 - Playing In The Band d3t04 - Deal d3t05 - Promised Land d3t06 - Brokedown Palace d3t07 - One More Saturday Night d3t08 - Casey Jones https://archive.org/details/gd1972-10-18.132378.sbd.miller.flac16 gd72-10-19 The (Fabulous) Fox Theatre St. Louis, MO SBD > MR > Cass > DAT > CDR Disc 1 1. //Promised Land 2. Tennessee Jed 3. Jack Straw 4. Don't Ease Me In 5. Black Throated Wind 6. Sugaree 7. Mexicali Blues 8. Bertha 9. El Paso 10. China Cat Sunflower > 11. I Know You Rider Disc 2 1. Beat It On Down the Line 2. Dire Wolf 3. Around & Around 4. Casey Jones 5. Big River 6. Friend of the Devil 7. Me and My Uncle 8. Bird Song Disc 3 1. Truckin' > 2. Drums > 3. Other One > 4. He's Gone > 5. Other One 6. Greatest Story Ever Told 7. Comes a Time 8. Not Fade Away > 9. Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad > 10. Not Fade Away https://archive.org/details/gd72-10-19.sbd.des.4506.sbeok.shnf
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I'm with you Mr. Pete. I'd like to see a '79 box also but I think the chances are slim. Any other boxes you'd to see? After DaP15 and the 30 Trips 5/14/78 show, I wouldn't mind a '78 box either.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 4 months

10/21/73 - 11/1/73
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

You know there is a place to request boxes here on the site. http://www.dead.net/forum/requests-box-sets Maybe you can help lobby for the 1991 Boston Box I requested? Grateful Dead Live at Boston Garden on 1991-09-20 Set 1 Touch Of Grey Little Red Rooster Jack-A-Roe Black Throated Wind Stagger Lee When I Paint My Masterpiece Bird Song Set 2 Help On The Way -> Slipknot! -> Fire On The Mountain Estimated Prophet -> Truckin' -> Jam -> Drums -> Space -> All Along The Watchtower -> Morning Dew Encore: Turn On Your Lovelight https://archive.org/details/gd1991-09-20.sbd.ladner.5700.shnf Grateful Dead Live at Boston Garden on 1991-09-21 SBD->DAT->CDR->EAC->SHN Set1 Hell In A Bucket, They Love Each Other, New Minglewood Blues, Peggy-O, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Cassidy, Deal Set2 Uncle John's Band > Saint Of Circumstance > Eyes Of The World > Jam* > Drums Space > The Other One > Wharf Rat > One More Saturday Night ENCORE It's All Over Now, Baby Blue Notes: * Hornsby is prominent https://archive.org/details/gd91-09-21.sbd.mccall.529.sbeok.shnf Boston Garden on 1991-09-22 Shakedown Street, CC Rider-> It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry, Me & My Uncle-> Maggie's Farm, Brown Eyed Women, Let It Grow Samson & Delilah-> Iko Iko-> Looks Like Rain-> He's Gone-> Nobody's Fault But Mine-> Spoonful-> Drums-> Jam-> The Last Time-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Knockin' On Heaven's Door https://archive.org/details/gd91-09-22.sbd.fishman.17180.sbeok.shnf Boston Garden on 1991-09-24 Let The Good Times Roll, Feel Like A Stranger, Althea, It's All Over Now, High Time, Beat It On Down The Line, Big Railroad Blues, Desolation Row, New Speedway Boogie China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Women Are Smarter, Ship of Fools, Dark Star-> Drums-> Jam-> Foolish Heart-> I Need A Miracle-> Standing On the Moon-> Around & Around, E: The Weight https://archive.org/details/gd91-09-24.sbd.miller.25939.sbeok.shnf Boston Garden 9/25/91 is Dick's Pick 17 and could be reissued as part of the box as a "bonus". Boston Garden on 1991-09-26 Set 1 Jack Straw Cold Rain And Snow Wang Dang Doodle Candyman Mexicali Blues -> Cumberland Blues Picasso Moon Box Of Rain Set 2 Dark Star -> Saint Of Circumstance -> Eyes Of The World -> Drums -> Space -> The Other One -> Dark Star -> Attics Of My Life -> Good Lovin' Encore: Brokedown Palace> And We Bid You Good Night https://archive.org/details/gd1991-09-26.sbd.miller.95534.sbeok.flac16 Go vote for the Boston 1991 box now. http://www.dead.net/forum/requests-box-sets
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

In case anyone is still interested...I just received my 30 Trips box which was one of the "found" 60 and it is numbered out of the original 6500. Looks like this was truly just an inventory issue (that worked out in my favor).
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I'm glad you got a box, there are some real good shows in it, so enjoy!By the way, may we know the number that's on the top of the scroll and what show ticket date and backstage pass date you received?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

You bet! The ticket is from 10.28.91 Oakland Coliseum, Backstage pass is from 6.16.93 Freedom Hall and the scroll # is 5274. I have to say that this thing is fairly impressive when you see it in person.
user picture

Member for

13 years 8 months

First time here in a while. Just for fun, I tried "ordering" a bunch of flash drives and it would only let me order 12. I hope for their sake they are about to sell this out. Personally, I'm only up to 1973 in my listening. Hate to say it, but kinda burned out on the GD recently. I'll get it back. :)
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Eyes of the World was cranked up, and my 9 year old asked, "why is it so fast?!?" "Because it's 1978" I replied...
user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I've been saving this one for awhile and finally listened to it over the holiday weekend.Daaaaaamn! The inclusion of this show in the box tells me that Dave and company really took this project seriously (master of the obvious, yes). But this sounds so damn good it easily could have been a stand alone show like the Vault series or like To Terrapin or Sunshine Daydream. Yeah, there may be a show or two in the box that might not have seen release otherwise, but there are a ton of gems included and this is certainly one of many. If it's true that the USBs are close to selling out do yourself a favor and buy it. I almost didn't get the box but it is so worth it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Finally finished listening to all the shows. This box set is absolutely incredible. So much good music, so many years. Some shows that stand out to me are 67 (obviously), 77, 89, & 92 (favorite from each decade). The best thing about this box is the later years, in my opinion. All the people that complain not getting anything but the 70's...this is the one. Don't get me wrong. All of the 70's shows are really great, but none really stood out that much to me, I assume, because I've heard so much more from that decade. 85 & 86 are really great shows that sound very similar to anything from the late 70's (besides the keyboard), in my opinion. Besides 67, the 89 show is probably my favorite show in the box...a 29 minute Dark Star in the 80's...not too many others out there and the ones I've heard aren't as weird and spacey as this one. And the 92 show...just surprising all around. I made sure not to look at any of the setlists before listening to any of these shows...so, my mind was pretty blown when they unleashed a Dark Star>The Other One>Standing on the Moon>Lovelight...and it was all just crackling with energy. Really the only show that wasn't outstanding in the box was the 95 show. Lots of good moments, but just not quite the same energy level. I think that show, for just the sake of shows, is a really good one and if I were there, I'm sure I would've had a blast. It just goes to show how great this band really was and It's amazing to think how great they played only a few months before in the 94 show...which is right up there with 92, and 93 for that matter. It must have been incredible traveling around seeing shows in the 90's and then getting something like 10/1/94...ahh, the legend continue...the whole show is great but the H>S>F opener is just exactly perfect...as good as ever really. We could all probably say that this set is enough to last a lifetime, but I guess we wouldn't be true Deadheads if we didn't wish for more. thank you to all who made this box set possible
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I have to agree with Mustin321. This box alone contains enough great music to carry me for a long time. Don't get me wrong, after going through the whole box once, I am now mixing in more listens to each show, along with other Dead shows from other releases. Many of those from suggestions heard here, such as Go To Nassau, DaP17 and a lot of '74 shows. I think the box really shows off the 80's & 90's in a good light. Those shows sparkle with electricity and energy. For those of you who could not spring for the $700, I feel your pain. I could not swing the E'72 box at the time of its release, and while that was also true of this one, I just could not pass this up this time. I would have to kick my butt with both feet which would be tough! If you poke around on ebay, you can pick up single shows for decent prices. Of course the whole box set is available there also, but they are all pretty pricey. I have shown this box to my kids and told them what a thing of beauty it is, both outside & inside. A true family heirloom I hope! Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

I too couldn't afford E72 when it came out. It took me about about a week to come to that realization. It was just too hard to justify at the time, being in school and not working. It wasn't too long after that when the Dave's Picks Series started. I feel really lucky looking back now remembering how I barely had enough for the 1st years subscription. If I had bought the E72 box I probably wouldn't have joined the Dave's Picks club. And now the E72 shows are available individually (which I have about 8 of). So, everything has really worked out.
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Kayak Guy, I wholeheartedly agree on these Boston Garden run of shows in fall 1991. they were all excellent with Bruce in top form and each night has something special to offer. DP 17 is a prime example and I'd love to see the entire run get a similar formal release treatment. One of my favorite segments from the entire run is from the second night, the Eyes of the World that's followed by all the boys leaving the stage except Bruce Mickey and Billy and it's a very fun romp for several minutes. Part of the magic addition of Bruce in my opinion. You select some great shows. Agreeably, Sixtus
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Agree with the recent comments.. this is the gift that keeps on giving. An amazing amount of music that this listener has not yet wrapped his brain around. It does look like there is an even dozen USB's left. oh.. and Keithfan, I like your answer to 'Why is it so Fast!?' the honest answer would have been Too Much Coke, but why tarnish such a young brain with the bitter truth. I laughed when I read that.. oh.. and RDevil, I have been on a sequential trip and like I previously posted.. I blew out the JBL's in my car on the Shrine. It is that good.. and no response from Phil on replacing my speakers even though we all know it was his fault!
product sku