• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Those sonic anomalies were at the show. Turn it up load and at 9:20 you can hear someone in the band say "what is it?"
  • mustin321
    Just listened to 10/26/1989 from this box. This is my new favorite show. Interesting songs in the 1st set and the obviously amazing Dark Star and the other jamming from the 2nd set. Hard to believe that there are still shows this good out there. The GD never cease to amaze me. Edit: I just read Peter Lavezzoli's review of this show in Deadbase. Very well written and a great description of the Dark Star.
  • ckcoffman
    I thought some of you might be wondering about process for replacing defective discs. I see some people have already received some. For what it's worth, my experience was as follows: I have been creeping my way through a chronological listen to 30 Trips--just digested 1984 last night. Found along the way that the third disc of my 1977 show skipped on US Blues. Tried multiple players, etc., but no luck. Contacted dead.net customer service via email on December 11, and the reply was fairly vague: something along the lines of "we have passed this info along to the appropriate people." Followed up 2 weeks later for an update, and was told that I was in line for a replacement disc, and that I could expect the whole process to take 4-6 weeks. On Friday, 49 days after my initial email, I got a new disc 3 of 1977 in the mail. Haven't checked it out yet, but the CS process seems to be working, if somewhat slowly. I can live with that. I hope everyone else's issues are being resolved as well. Seems from many comments here that this release was a bit crazy on the CS side, even after the initial shipping debacle. While I'm at it, here are a few thoughts on the shows: sound quality on early-80s material is obviously inferior to that on many earlier shows. The 65 show is of interest historically, 66 surprisingly good, 67-74 top notch. 75-78 were a let down for me, but probably only because my expectations were so high. I had, on the other hand, low expectations for the Brent years, as they're not usually my favorite, but I have to say I've been enjoying them a lot. What really stands out are the Drumz and Space segments, and some of the looser jamming. I know some people are more into first set material, or late-show slow ballads and Bobby rockers, or whatever, but I'm happiest when they get more out, playing more free, and this happens more than I think of it happening in these early 80s shows. This seems one of the great virtues of the box: reminding listeners that they can rethink assumptions about eras. I'll still probably be more likely to reach (as I always have) for late-68>early-71 or late-73>74 than anything else after this box, but the 80s will get more time with my ears than they have in the past.
  • prafter
    Default Avatar
    re: Odd sonic anomalies on 10/27/79's Dancing on Bolt
    Yes, they appear on the USB version. starting at 9:04 and around 9:12. I don't hear any at 9:24.They appear at the same time as on the CD.
  • Lost in San Antonio
    Default Avatar
    Good morning, I had purchased this box set and it bugged me that I could not figure out which number i was out of the 6500. I didn't realize until looking at pictures of other box sets that on mine it says MIRACLE instead of a number. I remember reading about different scroll, reading the website, it says i needed to redeem by Jan 15, is there anything I can do at this time? Thanks Michael
  • boblopes
    Are Odd sonic anomalies on 10/27/79's Dancing on Bolt
    If can be confirmed by any of our Boltheads out there then it's not an issue with the CD...
  • Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar
    Been a rough patch in rock: Bowie, Frey, and now Kantner. RIP. Back to Boxzilla #2, now that Marye and Dr. Rhino got on the case. :) Blue lining this time instead of red. I'm really enjoying listening to the shows before looking at the set lists. Just makes it seem more show-like than listening to a CD. Verdicts the same as before: I really love the '67 and '69. Wish '68 was longer, but fantastic. and the '66 was a very pleasant surprise.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Odd sonic anomalies on 10/27/79's Dancing In The Street
    Reading thru this thread, I see some folks have problems with disc 2 of 10/27/79, so I checked it out for myself.I hear this distortion / odd digi-noise during Dancing In The Street at 9:04-5 and about 9:13-15. I heard it when I first played the show not too long after I got the 30TATS box, I took it as noise on the original master cassettes, "sonic gremlins" I did not hear any sonic anomalies at 9:24. I still take these noises on the original master cassettes as original imperfections on the tape, made either on the date - 10/27/79 or during playback at sometime before 2015. I don't have my original cassettes or CD-Rs to compare with, but I'm happy with the inclusion of this show in this box. But I'd rather have it "just exactly perfect" What do I do?
  • Dennis
    I was always looking at the "1967-11-10 - Shrine Exposition Hall" in vinyl, but couldn't justify the expense. I haven't spun a lp for YEARS, got a closet filled with vinyl, just don't have a turntable set up anymore. But I did like the idea of the Shrine show and them only putting out 6700 copies. I thought this thing will be worth a few bucks down the road. I have the 30 Trips Box, so I have the show in digital. I had just looked at Amazon and they had one listed, still had to resist temptation. Then my wife got a $50 gift card from her investment company (who have been doing a very shitty job and are about to be dropped). She was like, oh you can have it, I already have almost 200 bucks worth that people gave me for Christmas to get kindle books with, go ahead use it! I was like you sure? So I ordered a copy today and only put out 20 bucks! So on the shelf it goes unopened. I figure 5 years from now it goes for 1.2 mill and my wife can retire! :-)But really, I've been thinking about pulling the sound system out of moth balls and this will give me a good reference, will be able to compare digital and vinyl. In the mean time will look good on shelf next to all the box sets. Yay, me!
  • Sixtus_
    Daverock - not sure if it is the same static I hear, but around 9:14 on this Dancin' in the Street there is some mad static that erupts for just a moment or two; it is clearly an artifact happening at the actual show, because all of the musicians back off for a moment after it resolves, then they pick back up again. If this is the same moment you are referencing, rest assured it is not a faulty disc, but one of the warts of the otherwise excellent show. The same static is recollected from the cassette I used to have of this show as well, in the same spot. Rock onward, upward. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

This offering from 30 Trips is a classic Bruce/Vinnie show! The whole fall 1990 tour really. For a band who just hired two new players this tour has some mighty fine moments. New York to the UK and more! Good stuff!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

That'd be 4 CD @Felt Forum '71 4-CD Set!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

It is indeed a pleasure to see such great content on the web. I have created mine please checkout the latest collection of Happy Diwali Photos here.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

This is really awesome article.I recently start using Dancing App.You can also use it.
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Thanks to NoSurveyTool.com that has created an awesome tool called roblox hack 2016. We are so pleased that this tool is totally different and works 100% to get free robux and tickets. Do you need free robux? simple, simply utilize Roblox Hack. The best tools to get thousands free bux and tix just essentially utilizing online generator.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

Your method of explaining the whole thing in this post is in fact pleasant, every one be capable of effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot. Get the latest wwe news and rumors from WWE Universe at Wrestling News World
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 8 months

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

product sku