• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

The Grateful Dead played 4 times on Garcia's birthday : 8/1/67 Toronto, 8/1/73 New Jersey, 8/1/82 Oklahoma, and. 8/1/94 Michigan

Floor seats through mail order, aisle seats Phil side, approximately along the center court line.

The jam from Space into Watchtower was cool and had a good light show.

A set 2 SBD was in circulation pretty quickly but Set 1 was noticeably absent, and I think it still hasn’t surfaced.
SBD’s from 7-31-94 also surfaced pretty quickly, although I think that they were recorded from the monitor mix.

SBD’s from The Palace the following year, 6-27,28-95 also never surfaced.
From listening to the AUD recordings those shows could potentially be official releases, and maybe were kept out of circulation. There’s some good stuff there, notably the transition from Victim to Foolish.

Happy Birthday Jerry!!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Of Jerry commune with us all today. I am partial mainly, to good shows, and in my opinion, this is a real good show. It’s nowhere near my ‘67-‘74 preference, but it’s a fun listen, and it’s well played. I don’t live all of Dave’s Picks(or even Dick’s Picks for that matter), but I love most of them, and this for me is a keeper. Well, of course they’re ALL keepers. I’m enjoying a rainy day in mid-Atlantic region, the Dead just makes it even more enjoyable.
I sure wish I could figure out which part of grammar Dead Net is objecting to!! Sheesh.

Music is the Best!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

Half Step-Rider 2nd set opener. My 2nd show as a 15 yr. old, lived in DE, parents let me take charted bus with juniors/seniors, keg in the back, smoking all around, with ticket to boot, 1st level, midway, Jerry's side. I have the fondest memories for my casual indoctrination into the Dead from older kids, it was so natural back then.

I was already long hair, ear pierced, wearing deer shin moccasins, smoking, listening to usual stoner music with AC/DC, Sabbath, Zeppelin,Floyd, etc. One day I'm cutting class out back the wall at Mt. Pleasant High when this older kid, I shit you not his name was Casey Jones, his main bud was Joe Kelly if anyone went to Mt, asks me I'd been to a Dead show. Goes on to explain how it's right outta what we were doing and the 60's, but alive here and now. I took a chance after getting tapes from him and others, and my parents took me to my first show 6/28/85. Like I mentioned earlier getting turned on to the Dead was just a natural progression back then.

Just popped on #39, Phil is out the gates!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well at least THEY got it to Morrow, GA. Hopefully you'll get it to-morrow, too! :-)

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

It's not that I was expecting 'not to like' an '83 release, but I did feel the need to set my expectations. I was sure it would be a good 'solid' show, but I was NOT expecting the brilliance of Dave's Picks 39. WOW! To say this show is 'exceptional' is no understatement. The performance is truly fantastic & the recording is sublime. Shakedown & its funky goodness is worth the price of admission all by itself. Play it, play it again. Even though this is a soundboard (of the finest sense) you can hear the Philly crowd in between tracks going apeshit from the 1st note all the way through US Blues. There's no doubt that every bobbing & spinning head was wearing their grins ear to ear - & now so am I !!! This entire show rocks, the band is tight, & the ballanced soundscape nothing short of magnificent. Go '83! Go Dave's Picks!

Y’all are getting yours and enjoying them!
Mine is in Denver, so now it needs to go all the way back across the state to GJ, (passing within a mile and a half of our house in route), then halfway across state to back here. Problem is I-70s been closed more than open lately through Glenwood Canyon due to mud slides associated with the big Grizzly Creek fire from last year. That means a long 2 lane detour of many extra miles and several hours to cover the usually less than an hour (from detour start/finish points) so guessing it might take a couple extra days. Tracking says late Tuesday but we won’t get our hopes up. Wednesday would be good for “batch nite” lol.

FIRST SHAKEDOWN: 3/13/81, not the GOAT, but no slouch either.

8/1/94: we were at those shows, sounds like we were pretty close to you on the floor Conekid!
Agree, those were good shows, especially for the times. Made up for the poor experience at Vermont.
Fun camping stories after 7/31 with skunks in the camp and my cousin and I unintentionally waking up the whole damn place lol.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....judging by early recipients. My delivery date got bumped up a day. Arriving manana.
Happy Birthday Jerry. When I'm down, your playing never fails to cheer me up.
Miss you every day.
I feel like hearing a Here Comes Sunshine. Brb.
Ooh look! Dave's 38 Bonus disc happens to have one!

was a fine time with David Lindley, Los Lobos & The Grateful Dead at Laguna Seca....what a great weekend we had...the following week I moved to Grand Canyon National Park where I pretty much have lived since then....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Almost forgot, the thing I seem to do best now, ahem. Lol
A big radio hello out there to our ole buddy Skulltrip!
Glad to see you sir! We were getting worried about ya!

Great “stubborn” on a cellular level comment!
Makes me think of Anthony Hopkins in Legends of the fall “SCREW EM!!”
Be well amigo!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....a great time nappyrags. Although we missed the 29th. Oh well. At least we caught that Midnight Hour encore on Sunday Funday. And, for some reason, I can hear that Gentlemen Start Your Engines like it was yesterday.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

I wish there was a Digital Download option for Dave's Picks as it would be nice, like the Box Sets.
(16-44 / 24-96/192) resolution at the fingertips. No running out of copies and can go as far back as necessary to keep feeding our head(s) and for those that totally missed out. More revenue I would think?
Keep the CD "option" for those who prefer, but allow digital download options if ppl missed out.
Would be a great "option".

My solo MUATM

Essen on dvd

Sound is great!!!
Visuals!!!
OCD on my part? You betcha! However, I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong.

What a great show.

There has been a lot of Shakedown Street talk here...check out the one from this show.

Pete fookn Townshend...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

/m.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFmrcWxtQ0

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by rowjimmy7

another California dreamin looking kinda place I wish I’d made, but, unfortunately not...
88 line up looks sweet!
I have a tape from there? Not sure the year, but think 88, that was good? Hmmmmm?
synapses not connecting...

3/28/81: always loved this one, yaasss good Shakedown but kinda unusual if I recall?
Different location? Yeah, this was out all over the place, decent vids (for the times) and audio. Had a buddy who taped onto reel off the radio while stationed there. One of my early collection jewels.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

A lot of you freaks live here in my state. I'm just sayin'. The fire smoke sucks, but other than that this is pretty good living.

Don't any of you other motherfuckers even think of moving here, permanently, for one second. Have your weekend at Red Rocks and Garden Of The Gods, then go back home. Ski Telluride, buy your T-shirt, and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

"Welcome to Colorado! We're full. Now get the fuck out of here."

\m/

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by LedDed

I think I might going to Montana soon...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by LedDed

Ledded - sounds like you own it! Or think you do.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Don't worry, doesn't sound like its big enough for the two of us. Sheesh, I'd hate to ask for a cup of sugar. You can't even go to the ocean for real oysters. :P I agree, this release has a plethora of surprises and sounds 👌 for what I was expecting.

Dave mentioned they used Plangent for this release. Direwulf, can you verify that?

Unfortunately, mine hasn't shipped yet so I have no idea when it will arrive.

And Dave thought this would sell out in less than two hours?? Not sure when it will sell out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I totally get Ledded's remarks in warning off would-be interlopers to Colorado. We call it the "last settler syndrome". Once you've escaped megalopolis, it's "close and lock the gate!" My wife and I live in the mountains of west Texas, 9.6 miles off pavement on a 4WD ranch road. For the first 8 years there wasn't anyone within earshot except for an occasional lost pickup grinding around in low gear – our ears would prick up and we'd wonder who'd dared to violate our tranquility. Now we grudgingly have a "neighbor" about a half mile away. Getting claustrophobic around here. Onward.

My Dave's 39 should arrive in town by tomorrow. The story of its first of only three "Little Stars" is cool:
web.archive...
org/web/20030817114106/(insert* here).elizabundledee.com/littlestar.htm
* h t t p : / / w w w (without spaces)

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

OK

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

My paycheck last week was only 800 bucks for two weeks, but,,,,, I just bought the Mosaic Records set - "The Savory Collection"

Mosaic Records presents “The Savory Collection” – six CDs with 108 tracks locked away for more than 70 years and finally available on CD for the very first time anywhere. The recordings are from the personal collection of Bill Savory, a quirky and secretive studio engineer in New York whose day job in the late 1930s and early 1940s was transcribing radio broadcasts for foreign distribution, and whose nighttime passion was turning on the disc recorders to pull in and preserve what was happening in the clubs of New York City and other cities.

Does this sound good or what?? This is early Deadhead shit, bootlegs from the 30's/40's!!!

Had to Have!!!

Enjoy

But plenty of manger space available...

Cue that Eagles song The Last Resort...

Led may be agro, but he’s not wrong!
Though I believe he lives in or around Denver, which IS a huge metropolitan area, so not sure why he’s upset now?
It’s been a cluster there for a long time...although now that half of Cali, Texas, and Florida have moved here it’s outta control there too.
Meanwhile, out in the boonies, the population in our town has more than tripled in the last twenty years.
Fucking town council people never met a developer they didn’t like, WHORES!
The point of moving so far away was to get away from all that.
I have a sticker that looks like the state license plate that reads “save an Elk, shoot a developer”
When we moved here 25 years ago, you could get on I70 and go hundred and see few cars, or cops.
Now, I70 is like a frickin parking lot! SL is 75 (so WE drive 80-85) but all the interlopers drive 60 in the left lane.
And forget about when it snows as most of them come from warmer climates. I70 shuts down constantly now, which means you can’t get ANYWHERE, usually because of some lost sailor who has no business driving up here!
Yes I am aware of the irony. Coming here we’ve contributed to the problem, be we’ve fought overdevelopment amap.
The vast majority of folks moving here now are not doing so for the reasons we did, which was in tune with the way it was.
We’ve been thinking it’s time to cash in and go somewhere cheap to die.
Somewhere nobody wants to live, to get some land cheap, with little or no taxes, but with a college/hospital somewhat near by...
Of course many of those places are full of angry rednecks, not freaks...
All we want is a quiet place to lay our heads and listen to the River sing sweet songs!

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Got mine. Sounds great for an '83 (in terms of audio quality, from a cassette master). This is actually from the same tour as my first show (4/16/83 w/ Stills), so its nice to hear something from my introductory era. Some initial thoughts:
- OVERALL a great show - Wow! Phil is big in the mix, unlike many 80's soundboards. Dick is right - this show pops with energy from beginning to end.
- Shakedown is long and well-jammed, and has Brent very prominent in the mix and clearly not on the Hammond B3 - using a electronic 80's tone instead - kinda distracting, but hey, you have to experiment. He uses varying organ voicings for the next few songs.
- Minglewood Blues.... Jerry rips, and this version smokes. My brother and I use to joke that during Bobby's slide solos Jerry was cringing thinking "Oh god, my solo after this better be good!" Bewildering. "These Philly phillies start looking good..."
- Maybe You Know - They actually played this at my first show the previous week, 4/16/83. It was only played 6 times total.... I don't remember it at all, until I heard this version and looked at the setlist from my show.
- My Brother Esau is only a month old, and is without the quirky intro riff which is fine since it was often clumsy. This is GREAT version of one of my favorite Bobby songs. Very chill and understated, at about 3/4 regular volume and slower pace, without the overwrought bombast that can sometimes hamper other versions. Almost sounds like they're just casually rehearsing it and running through the changes in some parts, but it totally works.
- Let It Grow rips!! As do many version from this era. Always loved this 1st set jam.
- Help On the Way starts with us overhearing Bobby telling the drummers "After Women are smarter you guys go RIGHT into the drum solo!" Then you hear Jerry clarify the whole pre-drum setlist, Mickey confirms the setlist back to Jerry ("Got it!") and they're off! Cool banter. GREAT clear version of Help - Jerry's voice sounds great for '83, and the guitar work is generally crisp and confident, which is not always the case for this song in '83.
- Truckin' ending jam has great energy (Phil seems to trigger a breaker on the big Phil-bomb part, as his bass tone suddenly hiccups) but they disappointingly end it just as it gets interesting. After the crescendo, It almost immediately dissolves into brief "Nobody's Fault" and "Spoonful" teases before they bail out completely. Would have loved them to stretch it out a little longer. The mid-late 80's seem to have many truncated versions of otherwise heavily jammed songs (especially '87).
- Morning Dew - Like going to church. Apocalyptic Phil bombs, majestic guitar. Thanks Jerry.
- Throwing Stones> Not Fade Away - This is the early era of this pairing, before it was maligned as "Throw Away" for being overused.... But for many in that Philly audience, it was the first time they'd ever heard this perfect pairing with the audience chant at the end. You can hear and feel the magic in the air.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Love the artwork on this release! All the little Philly references (like the pretzels and the guy up front with the cheesesteak to name two,) are cool. I really like this artist - she might be my favorite of the series so far!

In terms of the show, I haven't had a proper listen, but from what I have heard, it sounds great! Only took 8-some years and 38 volumes to get a Shakedown Street.

Finally, I am pleased to see such positive energy surrounding this release. Part of me was expecting to log on and find a lot of less-than-enthusiastic comments. Perhaps the nay-sayers are playing it cool to allow those of us excited about it to have a moment in the sun.

Hope all is well! Continue to stay safe out there!

Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Colorado - The New Jersey of the West

Lots of assholes with Green Plates showing up in New Mexico, just sayin’

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Colorado sounds like where everyone escaping the coasts and bringing their bullshit with them should go. Montana? We're full up, we're a bunch of angry rednecks, and many of us aren't vaxing for a disease with a 99% survival rate. Colorado, that's where you want to go.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....I have relatives in Idaho. They said they're full too lol.
Philly out for delivery.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

You should get a load of all the newbies in Seattle!!! "Go home, tech bro"

Grump grump grump...

I am beyond certain the indigenous populations living and deceased are laughing themselves silly over modern complaints of "too many aholes moving here".

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

When your lost in the rain, in Montana, and it’s Easter time too.
And your gravity fails you and negativity won’t pull ya through...

Well, hell then come on Deadnet, usually a happy place, and spew hate!

Welcome back! We missed ya.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I don't post here often but lurk a lot. This conversation sucks. I guess asshole is a universal language.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

in Santa Barbara. I've been warming up for this with Woostah '83 from Thirty Trips.
The real estate market is too hot to handle here, as well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I can understand why people consider that America is too full. The population density is 88 people per square mile. That may seem like a lot to you, but here in the Netherlands we have a population density of 1183 people per square mile. Please don't get the idea that this density is artificially high due to the fact the there are mega cities here. The largest city has around 742000 inhabitants. Bearing this in mind, I don't see how one can justify any statement that suggests that the state you live in is full. Maybe it would be a good idea to move to Mongolia. Big sky country and endless empty grasslands where your nearest neighbours could be way over the horizon. What more could one wish for? Possibly a sense of perspective is lacking here.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

I apologize to all, I was just “whining” about the irresponsible overdevelopment by greedy developers that is ruing my state as well as others. Then shit git weird...
Mongolia sounds kinda nice!

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Throughout history humans have been moving from one place to another

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Since I commonly gripe about some of the mediocre offerings, it's only right to extend a compliment when appropriate. DP 39 is really good. I was not anticipating a show from 1983 would have this much energy. Pleasantly surprised. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

My #39 is being delivered today. Surprised it hasn't sold out.

I completely identify with the irresponsible developer stuff.

Born and raised in Idaho.

..it takes mail a bit longer to arrive here in East Central Mongolia.. but I am a recent fan to this show. Agree with the high energy and good recording (for the era) comments. Sometimes you need some high energy, jazzercise workout Grateful Dead. This fits that bill, works as prescribed.

I only have one box set issued by Mosaic, and that is The Complete Dean Benedetti Recordings. A 7cd box set featuring just the solos played by Charlie Parker during a number of live dates in the 1940s. Each track starts with a blitz of a Parker solo, and ends abruptly when the solo ends. All lovingly recorded by Dean Benedetti using primitive recording techniques from wherever he could hook up in the club Parker was playing in

There is an essay on Dean in the So Many Roads box set, called The Children of Dean Benedetti, a self explanatory reference to taping Deadheads. The box set is a true work of devotion, with great essays and photos.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by WharfratWhitey

Is in da house...ok we shall see what we shall see

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

If you dont have your 39 yet, give a listen to Captain Beefheart and the magic band's Strictly Personal. It'll blow your funky mind.

"Strawberry caterpillar!!!"

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

did that 13 years ago, moved up from Florida to North Carolina mountains. Used to be quite nice, low noise, didn't hear a siren or cop for weeks at a time, then started to hear one weekly or so, then more, more till daily now. The natives are a bit well, country or mountain, but basically harmless, except for the rednecks, they have weapons and don't mind using them. Mountain William (hillbilly) all the way.
Everyone from Florida is following our lead and moving up here, and they don't know how to drive on these mountain roads. Way too much traffic now and no improvements to the roads, so, you get a lot of parking lots too, or very slow moving lanes. Used to be, you could fly around here, not any more.
The weather is good, not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter, but we still will get an occasional snow in the winter, 4 distinct seasons that you can pretty much set your watch to, like on the Autumn equinox, the weather will change that day, believe it or not.
Soon, Florida will be up here, the weather has all ready changed from what it was when we first moved here, it's unsettling to think about it that one day, it could be just as hot here in these mountains as it was in Florida, but it seems to be happening.
So, to sum it all up, where is the perfect place? No, it's not here in the mountains, thanks for looking, now go home. Ha, go to captcha and it says, pick out the mountains

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

My copy landed in my mail box this morning. It's already on my Ipod and I'm listening to it now. Thanks Dave!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Sweet.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Anyone know how to get in touch with Charlie? I'm looking to add some aud tapes I made to Archive, and could use some guidence. These are pre 84 taping section recordings.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html