• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Multi-track and a BluRay.
We need more video!

80/90’s multi-tracks should all be released.
And the 2-track DAT Masters if they sound good and the performance doesn’t have any major meltdowns.

As for the 80’s cassettes, if they sound good and the band is on, then release them. Especially since Plangent can now do cassettes. I would support and 80’s cassette download series, but not until Rhino figures out how to run a download service.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

now that Plangent can be used on cassettes, wouldn’t they want to wait on digitization?
I agree that they should get digital back up ASAP for everything, starting with the best sounding good shows as ICCK suggests, but it seems like they wait to cover the production costs until they have the years submoney in hand?

Remember this was one of the big riffs that happened between band members: some wanted to “sell out” to some corporation who would have the financial resources to digitize the whole collection, so you could get any show ala carte, but Phil was like “I’m not turning on the TV and hear Truckin’ during a Chevy commercial” not an exact quote, but he wasn’t about just selling out, he wanted to maintain control and do it their way, well maintaining the respect the music deserved. Or remember the whole Terrapin Station debacle, where Mickey said there’d be a kiosk, so you could put your order in at arrival, and pick up your shows after you toured the museum etc,
So there has been talk at least of trying to make the vault more accessible. But now that Rhino has bought at least some level of control, I don’t think their in a hurry to do any of that, which sucks.

Now if there was any forethought, Rhino et el would of been reinvesting some of the profits from all these years of windfalls to build up enough scratch so if/when the Beatty well etc runs dry, they have the cash to fix up the better cassettes, properly!, and then start pushing them out en masse? Not sure if it’s true, but a reasonable theory, that they could be marketing to the “older” crowd currently, assuming that more of the 80/90s market is younger and thus will be around longer. That seems limiting to me, but what do I know?
Personally, I’m in the All The Years combined camp: let’s get all the multitracks from any year out first, or say one box of multi’s a year at premium rate, so they can milk it along, combined with say DaP series of Beatty’s and predominantly older stuff, (perhaps with some “normal” boxes mixed in), and also offer a no frills 80/90s outlet for everyone else to enjoy, you could call it Pedro’s Picks as I’m available ; )
Sure they might not sell as much of any particular individual format/series, but cumulatively they could be selling more total! And no offense, but their doing this to make money!

maybe that’s it Conekid, save up the working capital from profits now so they can afford to fix up and digitize, then add a DL series, but one that not only works, but excels. Ya know, something the Dead used to be known for: cutting edge, leading technology...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Icecreamed I appreciate your logic. I'd agree that ABCDs will continue to come out, interspersed with what's in the Vault. Clearly, for this St Louis box, that one ABCD reel enabled the entire box. Frankly, the list of returned Bettys is rather stunning. I'm still panting for every release and that's 50+ years after hearing AB and Skull & Roses for the first time. (Actually, I borrowed Live-Dead from a friend when it came out -- I was only 12 and couldn't make sense out of the opening to Dark Star, so I took it off the stereo and returned the LP unheard!!) And I'll leap at any '80s shows that are hot, after all, I did attend my share. Agreed, cassettes of hot shows beat multi-tracks of lacklustre performances.

Here's a curveball: whatever happened to the tape stash that Mtn Grl turned over? Those were Jer's tapes and Dave did release that killer April '70 acoustic show with the Pigpen set. But I haven't heard anymore about them, nor ever seen a list. (That probably doesn't exist outside Dave's files.) Then there are the tapes that the roadie's ex turned in, which helped create the Fox Theater/FW 69-70 release (DaP 6) and an undisclosed source of returned tapes that enabled Thelma 12-69 (DaP 9). There's a bunch we simply don't know about. And primal stuff, too. I'd think they still have a fair amount of '69 suitable for release. (DaP 40???)

Though thinking about the Vault holdings can drive me a little crazy, I'm kinda glad that Dave doesn't release a list. It keeps the surprise factor going and my earlier posts about the Vault -- how many excellent shows remain unreleased -- run to the optimistic side because Dave has many aces up his sleeve and, as I surmised earlier, he's looking for commercial patterns that could lead to a box and one-offs that work for the DaP series. I must say, while I really don't want his job, it's gotta be mighty fun. A couple tokes and a tour of the Vault would probably leave me quite worn out.

As to preservation, it's not clear to me what the process or pace is. I did get the impression from Dave's description of his DaP process that he selects a show, and THEN it gets digitized and a technical once-over to see if will stand up to release quality. I'd love to hear Dave talk about his process, which shouldn't reveal anything he doesn't want to reveal.

Meanwhile, it's been established that the OSF still has reels of GD. I asked them to keep an eye out for 9-19-72, which is in the Vault, but missing a reel. Fingers crossed, that was my first show. I did sponsor a reel myself of 1973 NRPS. OSF told me that they had opened a box marked NRPS, only to find it empty -- disaster! Yet it seems they've recovered quite a few reels somehow (mislabeled, misplaced?) since then because, obviously, they did that early NRPS box and, presumably, more NRPS releases to come in the future. Johnny Cash at the Avalon is coming out soon! They must have feelers out to innumerable artists for permission to release and they've been careful to go outside the San Francisco bands to broaden our palate. I'm, grateful.

Man, I never tire of this stuff.

And Icecreamed, the new box is pretty sweet. The setlists are mindblowing. You're gonna love it, I'm sure. I'm gonna stretch it out into the early winter just so I savor every skull fuck.

Edit: P.S. Yeah, the demographic angle (Giants box sell-out) is a strong one. I suspect that each era has its fans. I didn't see any '60s shows, but I'm on 'em like white on rice. I caught one '91 and two '92 shows after leaving the GD concert scene in '87, and I'd love to have those properly restored. And I caught shows in every year, 1980-1987, which of course I'd love to hear again. Think of it this way: if you were 25 in 1985, you're ~61 now. Still rockin'. I kinda doubt that, except for Billy the Kid, that any of us did catch '60s shows, but we're hot for 'em. Crazy good stuff.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

It is puzzling that so few sixties have come out?
Yes their very repetitive, but look at this box, obviously that doesn’t stop em...
And yes many are short,
And there probably not as many good recordings,
but I’ll bet there’s still enough quality there to do something?
Been way too long fo sho!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

At least here's a thought: what if they have one-hour sets from '66, '67, and '68? That's the magic, three-disc requirement for a Dave's Pick. What GD fan could resist??

Okay, perhaps not attracting the 25,000 purchasers needed to sell out a DaP.

Thought experiment over! But for a split second it was sweet! Hell, I'd buy two!

As far as market/demographic, FW box sold out quick!
I think there’s enough folks who would dig some primal dead as long as it’s not too repetitive.
I think your idea would help with that and the length issues...
Do something similar to PNW, Giants, and St Lous, only with 60s shows...

A three disc set from those years would be great. It occurred to me the other day that they must have good recordings of all the shows that were used as a basis for Anthem. If those were released, together with the studio recordings for the same album and you would have one hell of a box. Even less likely to happen than the 3 disc 66-67-68, unfortunately !

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, I believe I read that those shows got all chopped up to make Anthem?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Think of it:
Cobble together a disc or 2 of 66, a one disc show or 2 from 67, say 3 or 4 68 single disc shows, and say three 69 shows!
I’m guessing they’ve got enough good stuff to do that and I’m sure it would sell. I just don’t think a 69 box for instance, of several shows with basically the same songs would do as well? (speaking general population, not personally) But if you get enough variety of songs, years, jams etc, in this box format that’s worked pretty well for them, who knows?

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

39 years ago today, we were at the Frost for the 2nd show.. The Frost was a nice place to see the Dead. The Dead played a lot of nice places in the eighties, Frost, Greek , Warfield, Ventura, B.C.T. and Marin Civic Center.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

We have an idea you might want to consider, if you haven't already...................

I'd have to guess that Dave actively or periodically considers how to present the '66-'68 shows in the Vault. He's certainly capable of thinking big, re: E72, 30 Trips, etc.

Dave! Oh, D-a-a-a-a-v-e! We can "help" you!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oroborous - I wonder if they stiil have the Anthem shows, though. I was thinking about how both 11/10/67 and 2/14/68 have released as whole shows-and going off that, maybe they have the others available, too. But maybe they don't.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Not sure DR? Just somewhere in the recesses of what’s left of my memory I thought I remember reading or seeing here etc that when they made the album they cut/spliced the tapes from those shows for the album?
But I most certainly could be wrong?
Perhaps someone else knows?
Where’s GOGD when ya need him! Lol

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I know the Nappy Rag Man got the recent Dylan bootleg.

These things always have so much stuff on them, mostly throw away out takes, but boy everyone has something.

I am in love with the outtake of I & I. It is so much better than the album version (Infidels). I would have paid just for that!

What'd ya think?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That was Anthem. They talk about it at great length on the documentary Anthem to Beauty, which you an stream for free on YouTube.

I don't think they were as disciplined as they could have been in doing this though.. so there was likely a lot of loss and unlabeled work along the way. I think for Aoxomoxoa they recorded the whole album on 8 track, then 16 track came out and they did it all over again. Those 8 tracks still exist, or did they re-release the as alternative takes last year, I honestly forget...

They certainly have been stingy on 1968 though, haven't they.

Don’t post much, but read often. Thanks for the entertainment everyone.I’m thinking 6-22-91 for the next show. Dave’s picks hasn’t given us a 90s show yet. Just as good as the D.C and N.Y shows that preceded it. I was lucky enough to see them all. I would rather have a 68 to 70 show, but if Dave wants to go 90s, 6-22- 91 is pretty good for the time. Lots of Bruce which I love.
I saw my shows from 83 to 95, but I find Dave’s 39 a struggle to listen to and haven’t been able to listen to the whole thing. The anniversary of my first show is later this week 10-15-83. Just my opinion, but that show blows away the two 80s releases we’ve gotten recently.
Hey Dennis, I agree that I and I from Dylan’s latest is the best song from what is a kind of disappointing release.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by annalee10

I wasn't there, but I sure remember hearing it for the first time on disc.

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I cannot remember where exactly, but I remember reading that some of the tapes they were "experimenting" on for Anthem made them unplayable/unusable for a release. Now, obviously, some of the Anthem stuff has been released (2/14/68, 11/10/67, 2/23-24/68, 3/17/68).

Aah, there it is! DeadBase says Reel 1 of 3/17/68 is unplayable due to experiments done on it during Anthem. Reel 2 was the Download release of 3/17/68.

So, I mean, some stuff was obviously still OK (11/10/67, 2/23/68, 2/24/68). Some stuff was partially OK (Reel 2 of 3/17/68 OK, reel 1 ruined). How the other stuff (11/11/67, 1/20/68, 1/26-27/68, 2/2-3/68, 2/22/68, 3/15-16/68, 3/29-31/68) fared? Who knows? Every tape I have ever seen of 11/10 & 11/11/67 has the exact same Alligator>Caution on them for both dates). Some of 2/2/68 was still OK because the Dark Star is on the Carousel Road Trips as a bonus track.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

It's a raucous, motley crew around here (speaking for myself, of course -- me and my multiple personalities), so we welcome one and all. Jump in anytime, we're not very serious.

Cheers, HF

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

yes I do have it and I agree 100% on that version of "I & I"...been dealing with my Beisbol fanaticism mainly and sucking in all I can of the playoffs...I know quite a few here are chomping at the bit for the start of the NHL season but I'm a baseball guy...and don't forget that Oct 22nd the live Coltrane "Love Supreme Live In Seattle" releases and that The Beatles "Get Back" Super Duper Edition gets released this Friday...I've been busy filling holes in various old R&B collections I have, getting the missing volumes to complete them....also am going through my CD collection and ripping to various external HD's I have...as long as I'm dealing with music I'm happy...

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Howdy y'all. 10/15/83 was my second or third show. This WAS a great show! I do think the 10/14/83 equals the performance of the following night, though the song list for set 1 is MUCH better on the 15th. The Saint Stephen on the 15th is pretty ragged, it's but it's hard not to get caught up in the emotional outburst that accompanies it through the entire freaking song.

I just received the St. Louis box. Holy moly, this thing sounds great. But we knew it would.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Either Dave will try to hit one out of the park with DaP 40 -- because otherwise it'll land in the shadow of the St Louis box -- or DaP 40 will be a relative dud, because it'll land in the shadow of the St Louis box. Or, obviously, it lands in between.

Dave also has the option to announce a killer DaP 41 as subscriptions open for 2022. So a killer show for DaP40 isn't a given, nor needed to stoke interest in next year's series.

With everyone gorging on the box, little wonder there's been no speculation with a show announcement due anytime.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

..... 1979-01-15 - Springfield Civic Center - Springfield, MA

No reason, but 1/15 is my birthday and I think it's the only time they played on it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nice to see ya!
I was at those shows and always thought the first night was better.
It was one of those you had to be there nights: the sound, the lights, the band, everyone was on.
It’s unfortunate that the recording doesn’t really capture all that.
BITD, before I saw many more shows, I thought the 14th was the best show I’d seen.
Yes the Steve wasn’t super tight, but no one cared. It was an amazing thing to be present for.
Right up there with the first 86 Box O, and the 10/9/89 DS. To be there live with 15 or 20k of your close friends was as powerful as being at an 80K seat NFL playoff game. Gives me chills just to think about it!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not a bad guess Dennis as that one is on that possible list Dave put up early on that he’s been slowly chipping away at
Here’s that list:

Or not fucking captcha BS!
Won’t let me paste the list and I don’t have time to type it out, uugghh!

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

of must releases: 3/18/67, 1/22/68, 10/12/68, 4/4,5,6/69, 10/31/69, 9/20/70, 2/17/79. That's fairly short.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I would think whatever is released will be in the shadow of the box-one of the best Dead releases ever. Consequently, I wouldn't be surprised if Dave's 40 is a bit of a clunker. Followed by an all guns blazing classic to kick the new year off.

Off the point - but I was thinking what a great box they could make in a similar fashion to the 71-73 box, but going from 1968 to 1970. With music spanning Anthem to Amercan Beauty it could feature and incredible span of styles, songs and jams. A 30 cd'er for sure.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

I saw a St.Stephen in my first show, Hartford 83. I was there for the Box of Rain breakout in Hampton 86. I saw all of Alpine 89, was there for all of the Albany 90 shows, all of the Boston 91 shows, saw the Here comes Sunshine modern debut in phoenix 92 and lots of other cool stuff. BUT, T I think the most intense GD energy I ever experienced was the Scarlet Fire at MSG on 10-14-94. One of the best half hours of my life!!!!!…… I think I will listen to it tonight. 94 and 95 weren’t that good, but a Road trips release would have worked to release some of the buried gems.
Absolutely love this new box, looking forward to the next Daves, peace.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A 90s pick is long overdue for this series. Europe 90 has some nice shows. December 90 has some monsters. 91 was a solid year. The two big ones that stand out are 4/1/91 and 9/26/91.

Would love to see more Spring 89 released. Ann Arbor and Milwaukee for example. Two fine runs of two shows. That would make a sweet 4 show box actually.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

But I'm pessimistic on '68 getting included. Though I'd howl at the moon if it was included.

I'm feelin' '79, as in, you already know, 8-12-79 -- but Dave's holding back the hot Red Rocks shows for a possible box, I'd think.

On the 1991, I'd go for 6-22-91, Soldier Field. I enjoyed being there, but would LOVE to re-experience that show.

Okay, I guess our dibs are in........

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

Hope not. That would be a waste of a 10th anniversary Pick. This year has probably been one of my least favorite so far for the DaPs, I'm hoping for a strong end with something like 7/25/74 or 8/4/76 or the multiple show Grease of Pigpen Pick. You're definitely right about the Box, though; so far, straight fire to mine ears.

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
(First #) = Year:
(2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
(3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
(4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
69: 2 / 29 / #10
81: 1 / 19 / #20
72: 3 / 15 / #24
71: 3 / 13 / #26
76: 3 / 11 / #28
70: 2 / 9 / #30
79: 1 / 8 / #31
77: 5 / 6 / #33
74: 5 / 5 / #34
84: 1 / 4 / #35
87: 1 / 3 / #36
78: 4 / 2 / #37
73: 5 / 1 / #38
83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
66-68, 75
82, 85, 86,
88-95

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

So, this year we've had:
Dave's: '78, '73, '83
Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
Let the whining begin ; = )

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html