• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

What could it be? Maybe there is more than one. Dave said that they erased a lot of the Warfield tapes for practice tapes for Brent, but maybe they didn't erase the video tapes of the shows. I sit here watching Scarlett Begonias & Morning Dew from Winteland 1974 and I think to myself, if they released all the video and audio from Winteland 1974 that would be hard to top, is that the last great box set
left? What if they have the whole Great Northwest Tour from 1968 in the vault,, that would certainly be a contender for the last great box set. I can't wait for this s new box set, it looks like a killer! Oh well, eventually we will find out, time for another beer.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

being difficult is a trait both men and women can have

I am just venting about my immediate circle of people I need to deal with

in the immortal words of the Plasmatics

"tell me how you got your mind so crazy
P S Y C H O!!!"

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

A new documentary now streaming on Netflix.

Proudfoot, I see you have been talking with my wife. So long as you don't tell her I am on the river.. everything should be copasetic. Just let her rant for a couple hours and with a little luck she will humanize a bit.

Edit: Clearly we need some new music to distract is from.. well.. ourselves... Having listened to most of the shows in the FoxBox as they currently circulate, I just know this will be an awesome adventure in sound and I cannot wait to enjoy the FullNorman versions.

Plus, news of Dave's Picks 40 should begin to trickle out pretty soon.

Bolo, Bolo.. wherefore art though Bolo? (I hear if you mention his name three times he magically appears) Perhaps he can help shed some light into what might be coming our way on the subscription ending release.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

...I find myself bitching about lights that are left on and the water on the sink so much that I'm wondering if it's purposefully done now. I swear, in her previous life, my wife was a seal. :-)

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Yes, they have the tape(s), as a few trx have been released.

And, most importantly, its release would "justify" the avalanche of Halloween merch.

Count on it.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Or more accurately, I'm lodging my wish list: 8-12-79, Red Rocks, for DaP 40.

I don't give a hoot about 10-31-79, I was just trying to think "like Dave," but, like, he's Canadian, so what the hell was I thinking? Impossible to fathom his mind except for his inevitable love of flannel hats and donuts, right?

KIDDING!!!

Just make it a truly hot show.

And, while I'm "thinking" (Red Alert!) what would be the format or venue for releasing any of the '68 shows that are left? RSD? They've been holding out on 10-12-68 that went with that so-called book of silly cartoons, when do we get it?

Boy, gotta get my torches and sickles together if I'm gonna talk like a one-man mob, no?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Hat = toque in Canadia

You just weren’t thinking within the correct vernacular to get in Dave’s mind.

But don’t be too quick to try to get in Dave’s mind, you might be disappointed when you only find avocados.

Recall on the NYE ‘87 video when Mickey, dressed up as Mr. Spock, reads Jerry’s mind and finds lots and lots of cigarette butts.

It's only a matter of time until we get a '91. I like this version of the band as well, and on average they seem to be better recorded than shows in the earlier parts of the Healy era. Bruce could jam with the best of em..

Reminds me of a comment a Trinidadian friend of mine said in the 80's (talking about Captain and Tennille), in my best Trini Accent "Maaun thut guye con plaaayy tha pee-annnn-nooo!" He was a big heavy metal freak and the comment coming from him still cracks me up thinking about it to this day. Not to compare Bruce with the Captain, I just thought the comment was a riot and why rob him of is piano hero. Plus, Bruce can really play the piano. Party on Victor!

HF - Holy Crap.. dipping my big toe into 8/12/79 Red Rocks for the first time. Really good, I cannot turn it off.. great recording great performance (so far, just midway through the first set). Yes, this will do nicely.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In fact, I actually am kinda lit, so I thought I'd say that my next to last show was Soldier Field, 22 June 1991, and I was WAY BACK and still enjoyed that evening with Brucey onboard. I'd take that show anyday as a Pick.

I love this sh** one week out from an announcement (presumably) and I'm sure Dave will surprise us all.

Jim, that Red Rocks show really ripped us new ones and we were chock full of blotter for it. That show roars! Wonder if they have a lot of Rocks shows in the Vault and, if so, whether Dave's got "Rocks Box" somewhere in his notes. I kinda gotta believe that's true. Only 7-7-78 & 7-8-78 released so far.

Yeah, where the hell is Bolo? Shouldn't he be raffling off a free Proudfoot Toenail Clipper to whomever can decipher his indecipherable "clues"?

In other news, the new box is due here Friday. And I'm a gonna ladle on a wee bit of tequila and indica for that first '71 show, yes going chrono.

Not to change the subject, but now I'm going into the living room to watch Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956). Try topping that, boys!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Define "Ladle on a wee bit of Tequila and Indica."

In the mid Atlantic we generally preface a reply such as this with, "yes" or "yes please" occasionally, "yes, thank you" and rare occasions, "yes thanks.. apologies for the dent in the garage door."

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I would hope the video and audio of that show gets released. I was there and it was epic.

92 Soldier Field had a great first night. Was at both of those. Steve Miller and James Cotton sat in. Epic as well.

93 Soldier Field had Sting open. I don't remember those shows being particular standouts as I haven't even listened back to them in over 20 years.

94 Soldier Field attended the first night but not second. Seemed it had its moments.

95 Soldier Field, historic significance and Vision of Johanna was the real lone highlight except Phil stepping up. Not the same band from Fall 91...

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

It might be nice, if a show was released for each decade that the Dead played in. A Dave's Picks from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. Have that be the Dave's Picks model for each year.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Soldier Field 91 was my last Dead show until Soldier Field 94-- had a girlfriend in college who hated the Grateful Dead. I still shake my head about that one-- why did I date that woman for 2+ years?!! I missed out on many good times, but I digress.

We had floor seats at Soldier Field 91 and I remember we highly enjoyed the first set with Bucket and Shakedown. I loved the Wang Dang Doodle. During set break, the chemicals starting really kicking in for our whole group and we all found the 2nd set, let's say, intense and sometimes tedious with all the Dark Star teases. We booked to the concourse for Drums and Space, but returned for the post-Space section and loved the Black Peter. I would be interested in hearing this show with fresh ears 30 years later.

In 1994, I vividly recall walking into Soldier Field with Traffic kicking into Medicated Goo-- to this day my favorite Traffic song, mostly because it takes me back to a good day in 1994. Spacebrother is right about 1995, Visions of Johanna was all that was memorable on 7/8.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

for properly capitalizing Tequila and Indica...

"Ladling on a wee bit" is a euphemism for having gargantuan quantities on hand -- just in case they should be needed -- as a multi-hour show unspools on the sound system.

When the weather was quite warm, I'd mix Small Ice Cubes with the Squeezings of a Lime and pour ~2 oz on top, let it sit Five Minutes and Consume with Pleasure. Preceded by a Packed Vaporizer stuffed with Indica of the Finest Strain I could raise in captivity. As the weather cools, I skip that ice crap and go for the Raw Product.

Adjust Volume as Necessary. Leap Up with Glee when Pigpen begins his Greasy Caterwauling.

Do Not Rinse, but Repeat Throughout the Listening Experience.

That is My Definition of Ladling on a Wee Bit, mon frere. No Please, no Thank You, just a libertine's I'll Have That NOW!

Well, I think there are a lot of possibilities, especially if one continues down the multi-year track some (Giants, PNW, Listen to the River). However, if we are gonna go with the tradition runs from 1 year, I have some ideas. Two types, the first where we have some releases/even a good chunk, but not the whole thing. And then ones where nothing/little has been released.

1. Complete Me
A. Full Winterland '74 (audio & video)
B. Full Closing of the Fillmore East 1971 (Can maybe throw in the rest of 7-2-71 F. West Closing if they have it).
----May be some legal issues with the Beach Boys stuff.
C. Fillmore East '70 (2/11, 2/13, 2/14). Issues with ABB stuff. With some NRPS in there.
D. Full Alpine '89. Audio & Video.
E. 1980 Acoustic stuff: but I think the tapes are toast.
F. 1972: Full Academy of Music Shows (or just the ones not released in full yet).

2. Little/None released
1. 1973: 3 before PNE: Kezar (5/26) plus RFK (6/9 & 6/10). ABB issues.
2. 1973: 2/9 & 2/15
3. 1970 Fall: September Fillmore (3 shows) or Stoneybrook + Cap Theatre + Rock Palace (7 shows)
4. 1969: Ark Box
5. 1968: Carousel Ballroom
6. 1985: Summer Tour box
7. More fall 1989 (Philly Spectrum as centerpiece)
8. More Hornsby 1990 MSG
9. 1987 (if they can get Dylan on board to release full shows).

Got my shipping notice on Listen to the River today! Who-hoo!

Also, got Garcia Live #17 ordered.

Getting psyched for DP #40. 10-31-79 Halloween angle is interesting.

Still think '91 or Pigpen show.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

I think it was meant to be around like certain runs or big events, The Europe 72 tour, the Fillmore West run. The complete Winterland 1974 run would certainly fit in that category, the April 1971 Fillmore East run would certainly be there. I thought the complete 1968 tour of the Great Northwest would fall into that category, if they had all the tapes. The complete Avalon Ballroom recordings, like you mention, multi year options. I guess that there are a lot of possibilities.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kidd

The Complete Great North West Tour of 1968 would be a hot potato !

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Got a notice my box will arrive Saturday! Yay!

Just received my Grateful Gardening Bear growing mushrooms. Sooo Cute!

....this is truly divine.
Ahh, the simplicity of the description, the utilization of two of my favorite consumables, no less.

The Share is appreciated; and the telling is, as always, an enlightening, entertaining, joy-inducing read.
Why am I suddenly craving Tequila?

Be Well, People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Just lost a long post about 2/21/71. Not going through all that again. Bottom line - it kicks ass big time. Loved it out of the starting gate, but it just keeps growing on me. 2/21/71 - get some!

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Those April 1969 Avalon shows would sure make a nice release. Killer version of Death Don't Have No Mercy on 4/6/69. Looks like the complete show of 4/5/69 is all there. Hopefully, we get a 1960s release, we haven't had one in a while. 10/12/68. would make a wonderful stand alone release, like the two acoustic Warfield shows or the acoustic Family Dog show from 1970. It doesn't have to be a Dave's pick, surprise us with a stand alone release.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hard to imagine what's actually in the Vault, but they gotta have a half-dozen '68s left, no? Just guessing without any basis -- my usual m.o. The '66, '67 and '68 in the 30 Trips certainly rang the bell. Let's ring it again! A standalone Proto-Dead or something. Make it a limited edition if they think there's only limited, hardcore interest. A '66 show would get more interest from me than an '86 show, just sayin'. In fact, the OSF just announced the preservation of a single reel of a single set '68 show. Collaborate and celebrate '68!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Here in the Twin Cities we are fortunate to have a dedicated jazz radio station (KBEM--88.5 on your FM dial--streaming, too!), which is member-supported (yes, I donate). They have a bluegrass show and a jammy show (that DJ usually plays one Phish song each time), but mostly just play straight-up jazz. I listen a lot in the car when I am not making longer drives that warrant a 20-minute Playin' or some such treat.

Anyway, the other day I'm cruising around running errands, when suddenly, that beloved and familiar riff comes sneaking out of my car speakers: "Duh duh duh duhn . . . duh duh duh duhn . . . " Dark Star! The station was playing the new release by Dave McMurray, and at midday, nonetheless.

Yesterday's bike ride tunes: Schubert String Quartet No. 14 by the Juilliard Quartet, followed by disc two of DP 11 (9/27/72), the latter to prepare for the River box.

Also--started listening to my fourth show, 9/5/91, and the first set just kills it! I was lucky to have seen some of the summer and fall 1991 shows, as they really rocked my world. Is 1991 > 1990? :-O

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Magical years. The reason why there may have been so few shows released from 1966-1968, and literally none in the Daves Picks series, could be because those releases are aimed at "Deadheads". And they didnt exist in the 60s. They didn't start germinating until the early 70's kicked in. The rational for releases could be that Deadheads are more interested in shows they attended and merchandise than they are in the 60s shows. Crazy - but there you go.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

I bet we get one or two more, but that's it. If there were more available for release, they would have released those.

88 and 92...mark my words, that's what we will get next.

Moody Blues Days of Future Passed side two is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good

"and the world still goes on through the niiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhhhht...."

GOOSEBUMPS

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I have 5 Dark Stars lined up to listen to...and I just don't have the time to dedicate to them right now.

AAGH.

8/24/72, 12/6/73, 11/11/73, 8/1/73, 11/26/72

I will have the house to myself for a few days in early November...I will be playing these at full volume.

Oh, and 7/18/72

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Actually.. I'm not surprised at all. Someone involved with the All About Jazz website has taken some serious time to both listen to and provide some of the most informative reviews about GD music I have every read. And they seem to review just about anything that gets released and I think there are a lot of different members that went through the trouble to write reviews.

If you take a step back and think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Good to hear though.. great that similar sorts of people in the great state of Minnesota take some time out of their Jazz world to play and give praise to Grateful Dead music. Thanks DHB.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

They just played a snippet of "Bertha," heading into the commercial break here in the 2nd quarter of tonight's TNF matchup between the Rams and the Seahawks. Anyone catch it? Apparently there's a Head on the FOX TNF production crew. We are everywhere.

I've never had a problem choosing between sports and rock and roll. It's always been both. Bill Walton comes to mind...

Here in Denver we are also blessed with 89.3 KUVO - Jazz. Most excellent. Whenever I go into another city (usually in another state) I get on an FM set and start searching out the local classic rock and jazz/blues stations.

When I was a kid in the 70's tons of AM stations played a great variety of music, but I avoid it now because it sounds like shit and is full of talk show extremists.

Be well everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

If you have an extra $45,000 you can make a bid on Garcia's Guild Starfire 12 string guitar or his Gibson Mastertone banjo,in the original case. He used the guitar on a couple of gigs in 1969, Weir also played the guitar. You can also bid on Pig Pen's Fillmore East shirt, current bid is $4,000. Lots of other Grateful Dead items, auction runs until Oct 14th. You can see all the items online.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The national monument, not the recordist and chemist. Interior Sec. Deb Haaland announcing the reversal of the former guy's hack job on the environment and sacred lands. If you've never seen that part of Utah you owe it to yourself to see these holy places. Spent more time on the Grand Staircase (also restored) side of the highway, the Great Gallery, Kane Creek and Turkey Pen Ruin, and Fish Canyon ruins back in the day. The rock art is priceless.
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

coming a little later than usual, as the St Louis box lands on our doorsteps?

I'd guess post-Oct 15, as it'll take another week for the luckiest among us. Got mine last night, will start in on the first show tonight.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

39 years ago today, I was at the Frost Ampitheatre to see a great show with the Dead. I think this show is definitely releasable, so far no releases from the Frost, Greek or Ventura. Maybe they are saving up for a box set. Not all the shows from these venues were great, but there definitely were some really good ones.

....10.9.89. You know what I'm talking about. Stealth shows.
I'm still a little salty due to the fact I attended the Shoreline shows prior and the band decided not to bust out Dark Star in their home town.
I missed the Friday Shoreline show where they broke out Death Don't, but thats on me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Last week's Jam of the Week. Where do I know this from? Has this been on a release? Something clicked as I heard Donna laughing in the background and her patented scream (later in that song?). Did a shallow dig through the discs and the closest I came was 2-3-78 and 2-5-78 from Dick's Pick 18, Dane County. No wonder I liked it so much. I better keep digging. Maybe a bonus disc somewhere?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I think the Vault has quite a few iconic shows tucked away, as well as tons of shows we attended and haven't heard squat from.

I'm not a natural optimist, but remember that Dave thinks the DaP series will go for 20 years. That's 100 shows, counting bonus disc. Plus he's putting out another 7-8 shows per year in a box. Another decade of boxes is another 80 shows.

All I'm saying is that, to accomplish that, Dave has to have a long-term plan, not just plucking the occasional show out of the Vault for release. I have no actual knowledge of his m.o., but it would seem to me he's got to come up with box themes that'll fly tape-wise and business-wise. So he may very well have Frost, Greek, Shoreline, Red Rocks (that's my personal desire) shows staying intact, under the radar, to enable future boxes.

Notice I didn't say something like, "Have patience..." because I want that Rocks box NOW!!

Just sayin', there's hope.

GD renewed the 10-year contract with Rhino a couple of years ago and will probably renew for a third term when that time comes.
So, Greek, Frost, Ventura, and others will probably get sifted through for release.
But, Dave has the returned reels to deal with first.
I think that the 80’s DaP’s we have received so far were selected so that the ‘better’ 80’s shows can be used later when there are few pre-Brent shows remaining.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So, Icecreamed, I'm curious why you say that Dave has to deal "first" with returned Bettys? I have openly speculated here that the initial plethora of ABCD-related releases in years just passed might reflect some arrangement with the gents who are ABCD to get the material out more or less immediately. Do you have any argument or evidence that that's true? Being sincere here, not snarky.

I say this because I note that only one reel in the St Louis box is from ABCD. I don't know how many reels per show were used, but is it safe to say more than 20 reels for 20 CDs' worth of music? So the St Louis box benefited from one returned reel but is by far mostly composed of reels they had in the Vault. Neither DaP 39 or 38 were from the ABCD stash.

So I'm genuinely wondering: if there is/was a deal with ABCD to get out those returned Bettys, did the initial slew of ABCD shows (spring '77, Red Rocks, etc.) in the past 2-3 (3-4?) years satisfy that agreement and now Dave is free to intersperse Vault shows with returned Bettys? That scenario seems kinda likely, in that I can imagine an ABCD deal as described above but not one that would shackle Dave for any length of time from freely choosing shows after an initial burst of ABCD releases.

I guess we can only speculate, as a confidentiality agreement probably exists.

As for speculation that we're being softened up to accept '80s shows on cassette -- a world of difference from a Betty, I think many would agree -- that is ... disturbing, to a degree. I'd probably keep subscribing even then, because as in this year, when Dave did '87 and '83 shows, he also gave us 9-73 and 4-78. The '73 shows are a must-hear, must-have for me. So I'd suck up a few '80s cassette shows to get what to me is the really good stuff. My storage situation reflects my personal approach: I've got prime shelf space in my office for '66 thru '75 GD. '76 thru '90s shows are in a tall oak bookshelf in the basement (along with 3/4s of my Jimi, all my Dylan, and other top artists, so no disrespect, just space issues).

Blah, blah, blah! My guess is that the ABCD agreement has passed its initial phase and we're now in potpourri territory. Yes, "potpourri territory"... mmm, need more coffee...

My speculation regarding the rate of ABCD releases is based on the speculation I read on these boards. I have no additional knowledge.

Regarding the STL Box, in the seaside chat Dave explains how this Box came to be. I don’t recall the details but I think it was something like most of the shows had been selected for release at some time, and he wanted to do another regional Box, and this one came together at this time, although another Box could have also come.

I think that digitization of all the analog recordings (presumably starting with the best sound quality) is a constant process because getting digital copies stored in multiple locations is an insurance policy to keep the releases and revenue coming well into the future.
You don’t want to pull a Universal Music and lose everything in a fire.
So, I think that the library of digitized shows is constantly increasing and that Dave has an ever growing selection to choose from, and then he picks a show that appeals to him at the time. In seaside chats in the past he has said how he has more than one show in mind for an upcoming release, and then makes a decision for whatever reason.

Regarding 80-85 cassettes, we basically know what sounds good because you can get copies from the torrents. There are a lot of people who do want shows from those years released, but also a lot of people who will not buy them. The Rhino business plan may be to generate as much revenue as possible from the pre-Brent years while the people who only like those years are still alive and spending money.

This has all been speculated on in the past on these boards, and I’m just respeculating.

The USPS app says that my Box is out for delivery…..

They needed to get returns on their investments.
I believe I read there is a NDA?

Theory: using say just four years of DaP only with 20k subs at $100 per sub = $2Mil per year (not including extra ala carte $, boxes, aprons, hatchets etc)
So that’s 8 million in four years just for DaPs...
So my theory is that after production costs and corporate profit etc, it’s taken a few years to pay some or all of that investment off, thereby loosening things up a bit. I’m sure you’ll see ABCD reels being used more then less until their either mostly gone, or the shows aren’t up to par. Hey, a well recorded lousy show is still a lousy show...
As for 80s shows, I’ve said it all along: have 2 series!
I think you snobs would be surprised how well a series dedicated to 80s and 90s “cover band” shows would sell.
I think there’s a huge army of silent heads just waiting...GIANTS box anyone? Sold out way quicker then 78, 76, PNW or the current one!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html