• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I am not a Stones fan at all, but I have always loved Charlie Watts's drumming. Pete Townshend nailed it on the head when he said he wasn't a rock drummer, he was a jazz drummer, and that's what I liked about him. And the man knew how to dress.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I appreciate it. I'll contact you in a few days. Thank you.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

PM's are mucked up at the moment. What does snafu mean again?

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Dennis; Nappy Rags - Did you guys receive the above captioned Lee Morgan set yet, and have you had a chance to dig into it yet? I’d love to know your thoughts.

RIP Charlie Watts, a great drummer, jazzman, and likely the most stylish dresser in the music world. RIP Rolling Stones, too, because this amazing near 60 year career is ending, and talk about a band that truly touched The World!

Yes, Lee is in stock at the Dennis house.

I've played it out work twice, not the best environment. I like what I hear, when I listen at the store I generally only zero in on the songs I know,,, so it's the different cuts of Speedball from The Gigolo. Wings are spread on this tune. The studio album has a 5.30 minute cut,,,, the one live cut clocks in at 12 minutes.

The recording is very good. I wish I had the money to totally piss away on the vinyl copy of this collection.

Listening (once again) to the 12 minute Speedball,,,, wow,,, the piano guy is wonderful.

I'd be lying if I said I knew any of the names of his fellow band members, but they're flying on this set.

I've always love Morgan's use of tension, he can blow those lines that just seem to knot up. I feel the same sort of thing when the Dead do Viola Lee, a lot of sound with no where to go and then the resolution. I wrote a letter......

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis - I agree on his backup band. Except for Bennie Maupin, who I know via Herbie Hancock, the band is unknown to me. But they really stretch some of these numbers out in dynamic fashion, and as always, Morgan’s trumpet is so clean and precise. The choice of material was first rate, too, and even with all these sets captured from a three day period, and overlap in material, like the Dead or Dylan, the same song is never played the same way twice. Just a real gem of a release, and it would have been something to be in that small beachfront club in 1970 to hear these guys play. I’m glad you are enjoying it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Situation normal, all fucked up.

That's the part that will take time to take in. I only know Speedball and can hear the differences between album and live. The rest I will need to study!

I made a tragic mistake, some might say two. I opted to re-listen to Atlas Shrugged (some would say first mistake),
but instead of the 12 hour abridged version by Edward Hermann, I think I got going on the unbridged 48 hour version. (second mistake),,,,,, oh why?

This will eat into time!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Just listened to the 8/1/73 Jersey City show. A bit late on the birthday show this year. The Deadpod’s been steering me right for many a year now. 9/26/72 before that. Smooth and absolutely perfect. Killer He’s Gone with Jerry slaying it on the outro. Both Jersey City shows where my Pops was born in the 30’s.

I liked Daves #39 a lot. Course I love me my 80’s shows and I love Brent on keys. Had only heard the melt-down version of Maybe You Know previously. Great song. Was playing again in my car a few weeks back as I argued with the palliative care crew to back off and give my Mom a chance to recover from an unexpected surgery.

Course Death Don’t have No Mercy as we know and she passed over the weekend. Rest In peace Jerry and Charlie. And Mom and Pops too.

On an upbeat note, let’s drop that sweet box soon. How has that not sold out yet? That’s pure bliss in a box. Peace all and be well!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I have not come across a better live rendering of the Stones than that Ladies & Gentlemen Blu-ray movie. A few years after its release the CD soundtrack came out. Must have for all Stones fans.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Unknown to most. A legend to those who knew him.

A belated tribute, as I just learned of your passing today.

You are singularly responsible for turning hundreds of people into Deadheads. Well before it became fashionable.

Prodigious at your craft and a voracious bong smoker.

Much too soon my good man.

Peace. And as always, thank you for the tapes.

AJS

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Sorry to hear that.

Peace.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

August 26, 1971
Gaelic Park, Bronx, New York City, New York

Set 1: Bertha-Playing In The Band-Mr. Charlie-Sugaree-El Paso-Big Boss Man-Big Railroad Blues-Hard To Handle-Beat It On Down The Line-Loser-Sugar Magnolia-Empty Pages-Good Lovin'-Casey Jones

Set 2: Me And My Uncle-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Deal-Cumberland Blues-Truckin'>drums>The Other One-Next Time You See Me-Me And Bobby McGee-Uncle John's Band-Saint Stephen>Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to greatnorthern, Stashew1967, kyleharmon, BlissJBliss, Dschian, TheBiznizwhiz, Porterhouse10, moberg, JackstrawJay, dmcvt, Inquisitive Dantian, Dantian's Brief Interjection, Drumspacejam, mrkaos63, Crimsonandblue, Pelts, WOW69, David Duryea, SkullTrip, and dantian72, because great music is that which penetrates the ear with facility and leaves the memory with difficulty……

The last gasp/last blast of the original quintet. And what a blast it was!

Rock and roll, bobby-country-western, jamming, with a tincture of bittersweet. The last Empty Pages, and the last Pigpen version of Hard Handle, a wonderful rave-up that worked well for the Dead during its short repertoire life span.

Pigpen would soon be absent, and while he would ultimately return, it would never be quite the same………..

Rock on!!!

Doc
There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I am reminded of Philip Larkins poem, "The Mower" reading some of the posts on here, and the references to loss. Its about his feelings having accidentally killed a hedgehog, so I hope no one feels it is inappropiate - it's always struck a chord with me when I have experienced human loss. Anyway the last few lines of the poem are :

Next morning I got up and it did not.
The first day after a death, the new absence
Is always the same ; we should be careful
Of each other, we should be kind
While there is still time.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that I always live up to that standard. I'm still liable to fly off the handle at any real or imagined slight. But if anyone wants a goal in life, to live by, I can think of no finer one than that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Like many, I was reading through all the words of condolence for Charlie Watts from fellow musicians - including his band mates - and the praise for The Person was notable. You really do have to wrap your head around the passing of people like this, because they seem so immoral. I always enjoyed the Stones’ music (who doesn’t!?), they have left an incredible legacy, and the enduring image of Charlie Watts for me will always be him and that donkey from the cover of Get Your Ya-Yas Out! Something about his always bemused smile/smirk!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

There were comments about 39 a while back about the "pretzels" on the grill in the cover art. I wasn't sure about why pretzels were on a grill, but okay.

Tonight I had to open the E72 box to pull out 4/24. And what do I see as the cover art,,,, a skeleton eating a pretzel!!

I don't recall pretzels being a thing on tour?!?!

Do you?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Soft pretzels are a thing in Philly. They're not shaped like regular pretzels though, they're shaped like chain 1inks. You'll find vendors with them at the exits to the parking lots at all of the concert and sporting events. The grill is fiction; they are wheeled around in shopping carts. Years ago (and possibly still) you could find Philly soft pretzel vendors parked at intersections of busy inlets to the city.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Doc, thanks for the reminders on the '71 show anniversaries. I ran through DP 35 2x. Wikipedia describes DP 35 as two complete shows from 8/7 and 8/24 (plus 8/6 bonus tracks), but 8/24 is missing a bunch of songs. No Sugaree, Truckin' etc. Would have enjoyed an official Truckin' with just the Hammond post-spring. Those Spring versions feel like they're still finding their footing a little bit. Anyway, the 16 tracks on DP 35 are cool. Phil has some high bass moments, and the Good Lovin' is a bit unusual the way they work back into the Reprise - a bit pre-reminiscent of the '78 "got to have love" extended Reprise (except it's very short here - but cool nonetheless). I think I may have made up a new word there. Empty Pages has always been in my early Dead mixes. Would have liked to have heard that one more often, and maybe with some Keith, to see what he may have added. Jerry could have developed some extended nice bluesy stuff in there too (talk about your opportunities to get some Les Paul swagger in the mix). What Jerry has here is cool, but with a more regular rotation in the set, I think this one could have soared a bit more. Brokedown Palace is always welcome. Probably my favorite ballad.. They should name a box set after it.

Haven't heard 8/26 yet.

Still listening to those shows from 8/14 & 8/15 - the Gibson Les Paul shows. The 8/14 TOO => Jam => TOO belongs in anyone's "Dead Jam" play list.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

....definitely a yearly ritual for me. It's also my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Dennis, no idea what this sounds like, but the only time I was ever "on tour" was catching a two-nighter at Watkins Glen, hitchhiking a few hundred miles home, showering, then catching a two-nighter at Roosevelt Stadium, then again in '87 when I caught a three-nighter at the Rocks (20 mins from home), then a two-dayer in Telluride (which ended my GD days, but for two shows in Albany in '92), via a rent-a-wreck vehicle.

We weren't really "on tour," we were just haggard crispies, often cadging rides from one show to another. Never strung together three shows in separate locations; i.e., "touring." In '73 we had the clothes on our backs, a jacket, blanket and drugs for Watkins Glen. No money, no food, just water and LSD, mescaline and smoke for two days, then two days home, then two nights out at hell-hole Roosevelt (when the wind blew, the infield became a dust storm). Never had a dime for concession offerings, but man the food smelled good! It's a poor reflection on my lifestyle and profession that I was in no better financial condition 14 years later in '87, though we'd graduated to cocaine and psylocibin for the shows. Still, money only for gas and, oh, a large white rock. I was living in Steamboat Springs, making $3.25/hr as a small town reporter... but I had a good connection.....

I would have LOVED a hot pretzel in those days, but we categorically ruled out concessions -- we needed the gas money. I do recall in the late '70s at the Rocks that a long-sleeved white shirt with skull and roses was for sale, maybe $20. I LUSTED for that shirt, but couldn't pop. And, in the end, of course, all these cravings/lustings passed and ephemeral material wants evaporated. They always do.

Today, after working full-time for 47 years, I can afford a fricking pretzel, but the GD is gone and pretzels don't sound tempting anymore.

Moral of the story? None, of course. Just rambling, as always. But something about the pretzel mention made me think back to the days of yore when I'd hitchhike 200-300 miles to a Dead show in sneakers, jeans, and t-shirt with a few blotters and doobies and literally nothing else. It was a GREAT time to be growing up and misspending my youth, with Jer & Co. providing the proverbial soundtrack.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

been on a bit of an isolationist mode the past few weeks...spent the last few days on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...low 70's at 8,000 ft is always welcome...first off Goodbye Mr Watts...no words can convey what this loss means to me...I have always been first and foremost a Rolling Stones fanatic...and previously to have heard about the passing of Don Everly....the Everly's make up a good chunk of my life's soundtrack...I got to see them in '67 at the Hollywood Bowl in what had to be one of the craziest billings I have ever seen...Eric Burdon & The Animals, The Who, The Everly Bros, The Association and Sopwith Camel....crazier yet was you could get a free ticket by buying any LP on various co-sponsored record labels...

And Mike...I have possesion of the Lee Morgan but I've yet to hear any of it....been busy absorbing a new GEMS (I think) release of 8-23-68 Shrine Expo Hall show and a lot of Coltrane...will probaly get to Morgan this weekend...speaking of Coltrane did you all see the imminent release of Love Supreme - Live in Seattle release date Oct 8th...?

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Grateful Dead
Shrine Exhibition Hall
Los Angeles, CA
Friday, August 23, 1968

01 Cryptical Envelopment >
02 The Other One >
03 Cryptical Envelopment
04 Dark Star >
05 Saint Stephen >
06 The Eleven
07 Death Don't Have No Mercy
08 Alligator >
09 Drums >
10 Jam >
11 Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) >
12 Feedback

The only bummer is that the end of The Eleven and beginning of Death Don't Have No Mercy are cut...oh well

It only seems a few months since I watched it on last years anniversary. I have had a cheeky listen to the cds inbetween times.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Only my second run through this show and for me it's one of those where the first set outdoes the second. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
And what was that incredible sub-sonic rumble during drums? Was that the thing Mickey has that looks like a piece of railroad track? Did not know my speakers were even capable of delivering sound that low and powerful. Great fun!
Still trying to get to the bonus material.
Cheers all!

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

1stshow, the instament that Mickey is playing ,is called the beam. Type in Mickey Hart s Beam , into your computer and there is a whole big write-up on the beam. I always thought it sounded cool.

user picture

Member for

4 years

Found a gap in my collection - bonus disc - Rockin’ the Rhein with the Grateful Dead - Academy of Music, New York City, March 1972.

Any thoughts re prices being asked? Is it worth chasing down?

Thanks!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Private Message me with your e-dress, and we'll get you hooked up with the music . . .

user picture

Member for

4 years

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Tried messaging you but it kicks it back.

Please try jp1119@aol.com. That's a generic catchall but will send another one once we connect.

Thank you!

Came upon an old punk band Stalag 13

Rockin' stuff

I liked punk prior to GD obsession

Still listen to Germs, China White, Circle Jerks, Fear, Dead Kennedys from time to time; Stalag 13 is new, though.

High energy

....background noise unfortunately.
Set two goes to eleven at mi casa.
"Release the hounds Smithers!!"
And stoltz is on a punk thing. Nothing wrong with that. Except you left out Agent Orange and The Subhumans and Corrosion Of Conformity. Lol.
I also enjoyed punk and metal prior to.
Still do in fact. Unfortunately, the Veneta Playin' is playing. And, at times, touches every musical spectrum. Incredible.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

About 10 years behind you. I wrote about something similar to this a week ago.

It’s been told before, but we used to hitch-hike hundreds of miles to the shows in the 80s. Back when it was a dying profession. Never had much money and what we did have was spent on drugs and booze. Rarely ate. We slept in cars, rest stops, public parks and airports. Lost jobs because we could not make it back home in time for the next workday. Way more stories than I care to elaborate on. Looking back, I cherish those days.

My last show was Dead & Company in a private luxury suite with air conditioning, catered food and drinks. Anything we wanted.

The music was mediocre and so were the memories.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

...."My last show was Dead & Company in a private luxury suite with air conditioning, catered food and drinks. Anything we wanted."
And therein lies the problem. Distractions suck. I would've marched down into the stands while eating a shrimp cocktail and vibing.
I have one rule regarding live shows. Just get me in the venue and I'll find my spot. Might be my seat, might not.
Gotta feel the room and take advantages.
"And the memories sucked."
Exactly. Get down there man. AC during a hot show may be awesome sounding, but so does taking a shower the next day, washing off the experiences.
That's me though.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Going to gigs is-or should I say was - vastly different for me too from when I was 15, to how I am now-64. And at all points in between. It was very exciting in my teens discovering live music and roughing it - getting out of my head and having adventures. I felt as though I was living the life being sung about. But I would say I enjoyed things more from my mid 20s onwards-going with a girlfriend instead of a group of people, and getting back to base in one piece. I dont think I travelled to gigs much in my 20s-30s , just saw them in my home town. When I go now, to London, I stay overnight in a hotel and have a great time. I don't remember much about what I've seen or done a few months later, mind.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Hahaaaa, you thought it was Doc....nah, but he doesn't use that one much these days and it's such a good ice breaker.

Vguy - Just saw your post from yesterday. It seems we have more in common than cereal, dogs, and trippy throw rugs. My mother's b-day was also yesterday.

JP119 - I was bewitched with the Rhein Fever several years ago and ponied up around $120 for the Rhein bonus disc, but I've seen people pay as high as $150. I was initially hooked by Sugar Magnolia from that 4/24/72 show, and when I saw that the bonus disc had another version plus the painfully absent Uncle John's Band, I sprang for it. Playing in the Band is one of the few w/out Donna from that era. UJB has a cool lead in from Phil. Great Caution / Jam. The Dark Star is of course the diamond in the rough. Not sure what your taste in Dark Stars is, but I think this one is underrated, going by some of the mediocre comments on he heady version site. It has a little bit of everything. 23 minutes, great Dark Star theme intro and Jerry noodling; early first verse, maybe around 6 minutes in (peaceful bliss); Space then meltdown (featuring some prominent bassage); then the last 7 or 8 minutes is some great melodic jamming with maybe a familiar theme; and it concludes with a very rare 2nd verse. For whatever reason they had begun dropping the Mirror Shatters verse; it was a very rare thing to hear it between 71 and 74. You would think for a song that was running anywhere from 25-45 minutes, they could spare 90 seconds and make me happier 40+ years later. I suspect they dropped it because they enjoyed merging Dark Star with other songs in those later days, and the return to the main theme and second verse is more of a wind down to completion than a segue into another song.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Back in 2003 I went for 'The Dead' New Year's Eve show at the Oakland Coliseum.
Left Frankfurt on Dec. 31 in the morning and arrived San Francisco in the afternoon.
Among cool people I enjoyed a fantastic show that lasted way over midnight.
Left SFO on Jan. 2nd. Great trip, no jet lag, great experience.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I only had access to a “luxury box” for a Dead show one time. It was night 2 if a 4 night Capitol Centre run in Fall of ‘88. First set was excellent, but at halftime, I wandered down to the back right(if stage) corner. I happened to bring a nice sized chunk of hashish that night, and I wanted to share it with my tribe. Needless to say, I enjoyed the second set exponentially more than the first. Really fine show, with Box of Rain among many highlights (for me anyway).

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

My wife's company has a company box at the Dallas arena. We got to go see Van Halen when they were there.

Yeah all the food shit was going on, but, you couldn't smoke because it was work related, I not a van halen fan and most of the all, the sound really, really sucked in this little corner room. The echo was horrible. Would have been great for a sporting event (if I ever went to such things), but for concert sound!?!?!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

I saw Van Halen at Philips Arena in 2007 and the sound was horrendous, the worst concert sound I think I have ever heard.
And I was on the floor next to the soundboard.
The sound was turned up way too loud and all the instruments just blurred together. And then the sound system broke during Eddie’s solo.
Those sound people should have been fired.
They sounded better in 2015 but it probably helped that it was outdoors at Piedmont Park and there was no echo.

Some people blame the arena but I saw several concerts at Philips that had good sound. Probably because the bands know how to do concert sound correctly. Saw Roger Waters 3 times there and Dead & Co 2 times.

I’ve never been in a luxury box, but I’ve sat right in front of them because they are behind the last row of the lower bowl at The Palace. There are enough seats for everyone in the box, and they can go into a room that has a tv and food. I had mail order tix in that last row 6-8-93, straight back, aisle seats.

At Soldier Field for FTW I was looking at the boxes and they all had windows covering the front. The people in the box weren’t exposed to what was going on in the stadium. A terrible place to be for a concert, and even a football game.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Ditto on Dennis’ thank you for the heads up on the “lost” Coltrane recording from 1965 in Seattle. Pure gold.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

39 years ago today we were up in Oregon to see the Dead. Interesting scene, the weather was hot. We were pretty beat , we drove all night to get there. I liked that they played Duprees as an encore, I had never seen them play it. I saw better shows in 1982, Frost, Greek ,and Ventura, but it was fun. We saw Ken Kesey driving across the field before the show ,n a big white Caddlilac. The Dead were gonna play 3 shows there in 1992, but Garcia got sick and the shows were cancelled, I still have my tickets to those shows.

I remember that. I was bummed.

I heard the 82 show on tape while lysergic years ago. :)))

2nd set starts with day job. Lol.

Did you go to 8 29 82 in Seattle? That was juuust before I arrived in the Northwest to go to college. As in, two or three days.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Naw, we didn't go to Seattle, we were all pretty beat, I don't think I even knew it was going on. We left the fairgrounds it was late, we drove through a hell of a large storm on our way back to the Bay Area, the sun was up by the time we got back.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html