• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hey Nappy, on your north rim adventure, did you take the 75-mile dirt road out of Pink Coral State Park, Utah, south past Vulcan's Throne to the campground with the awesome organic toilets?? I've got a great Vulcan's Throne story for you...

Angry One, ah the good old daze, which imprinted more at the time than we could appreciate. And there's nothing like looking back 48 years later to make the old daze seem like the "good old daze," eh? I mean, they definitely were, but it was rugged at the time... the paradox of time...

Vguy, you're KILLING ME!! Dancing to the GD with a shrimp cocktail in your hand.... man, when we were little kids at our first GD shows, we grew wary of the Hum Zone (aka Phil Zone), which was the first 20-30 feet back from the stage where everyone was tripping madly and packed in tight. You show up there with a shrimp cocktail, circa 1972, and you'd a been without shrimp cocktail in seconds! Why they'd a taken the flesh right off your bones!! Yeeehhhiiiii! What a great image, though.

Yeah, that "luxury box" thing is, I think, only for events you don't give a hoot about. If it's a show you want, you go down to the floor and get some. And being barred from smoking, toking, vaping?? Nah, give me KAOS on the floor (with Siegfried) instead!

Oh, and I did enjoy DaP 39, especially West LA Fadeaway, which made me curious to hear a few of the '80s shows from the Rocks, just to hear what I saw... We were impudent young scalliwags back then, old enough to know better but too young to quit.

I gotta stop reading this forum, cuz I keep ordering CDs that I suddenly "need," including Coltrane '65. Will you guys cut it out for, say, 30 days??

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

That was the whole point of the story.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....duly noted. I agreed.
And I love shrimp cocktails.
Luxury boxes are stagnant and boring imo. Had a box during a hockey game. Was fun for ten minutes, then I got bored and left.
Found a seat in the lower bowl. Much better.
Even if I was rich, which I am not, I would still mingle with the "unfortunate souls".

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Absolutely.

A bunch of us husbands have season football tickets just so we can hang out, catch up on old times and drink a few beers. Our seats, by choice, are in the very last row. With the “commoners” as you put it. We have a blast.

Invariably, at every game, one of the attorneys in the group invites us to his firm’s luxury box. No thanks is the universal response. We’re fine right here.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....you don't need to be concerned about some asshole behind you trying to start shit. YouTube sports fans fighting in the stands. Back row is a safe spot.
I'm proud to be a humble knave.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just got home after a week on a Greek island. There it was 34° (93° F) with endless sunshine whereas here it is 17° (63° F) and grey, overcast and raining. What a shit summer it has been here in north west Europe. It was easy adjusting to lashings of Greek food and litres of ice cold Mythos beer. Now I'm home I'm wondering why I didn't stay there. At least it helped to pass the time while waiting for the box set.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

The thing I always liked about uphill seats, no security!!!

You could have a damn bong up and smoking and no one was gonna come up to get you. Even if they did you had an unobstructed view of those coming up!!

Always somebody I intended to listen to, but sadly never did. That goes for Jamaican and dub music as a whole really. It was very popular in mid-late 70s England - I can still remember a poster of the cover Peter Tosh's album "Legalize It" in the window of a shop opposite where I lived circa 1977. I've got that, Bob Marley's "Catch a Fire" and a smattering of compilations from Studio 1 - which I think pre-dated reggae slightly.
So much to get into, so little time !

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Don't tell it again. Get lost, whoever the (n(^ you are.

addendum 2 hours later...

Thank you for getting rid of that interloper, GD/Marye

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

...no I didn't take that route...I live on the South Rim so I just drove east out of the park to Cameron...then north to the 89A cutoff, over Navajo Bridge on the Colorado River to Jacob Lake and then south to the rim...Might have to look up the route you're talking about, sounds delightful....I almost took the road to Point Sublime but after a few miles of the road steadily worsening I did a quick U and headed back to paved roads...I had about another 15 miles to go...

...just looked it up on google maps...Vulcan's Throne looks awfully close to the Toroweap Overlook which suggests the campground you're talking about is the Tuweep Campground....

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Nappy, sounds about right. Man, we hammered down that dirt road, which was pretty well maintained. I had Bonnie Raitt blasting and did some hoovering of Peruvian marching dust along the way. My buddy was in another vehicle, so as fellow lunatics we raced each other at times, passing in bad places. So, to Vulcan's Throne... we parked just off the road and, immediately, I noticed a large, dessicated rattle from a diamondback sitting on the ground. It's still on my desk, probably ~25 years later. So we proceed to clamber down a do-able outcrop and make our way across a valley to Vulcan's Throne. Ahead of me, my buddy yelps really loudly and I look up to see him catapulting through the air, impressively high off the ground. I was just getting off on the shrooms so I laughed really hard. He looked so funny! When we caught up he pointed out an absurdly large diamondback, fat as your forearm and maybe 6-8 feet long. A sobering sight, but not for long, as the shrooms did their magic. So we climb to the summit of Vulcan's Throne; it's a cinder cone, formerly a volcano (its flows formed Lava Falls on the Colorado River below, sometime in the last 2 million years), so sight lines were good. We're on the summit, peaking, and I said casually, for effect (not believing it myself), "You know, there could be large snakes under any one of these rocks," pointing to a handful of summit rocks maybe 2-3 feet high and 5-6 feet wide. We'd sat on one after reaching the summit. I point my walking stick at the nearest rock and we look underneath: there's another fat diamondback wrapped around the underside, staying warm. We looked at several other rocks: diamondbacks under nearly every single one. We were aghast: we'd just been sitting on one of those rocks. We managed not to panic, but we decided rather swiftly to exit the area, and to do so very carefully. My entire being is now fully programmed for visual identification of diamondbacks. My buddy tried to get conversation going as we hiked back to the car but I told him to stop because I didn't want sound to interfere with my visual scan of the terrain ahead. We encountered a few more rattlers in the valley, but if undisturbed, they're harmless. The key concept here being "if undisturbed." Here in Colorado we have small prairie rattlers (which can still put you in the hospital) and nocturnal faded midget rattlers (diamondbacks only in Las Animas County on the NM border), but the size of your neighbors, Nappy -- truly fat diamondbacks -- definitely intimidated me and I'll never hike the North Rim again without paying FULL attention to every single step. (Good practice anywhere.) We spent 5-6 days out there, truly stupendous country. (The Tuweep toilets were a marvel of Scandanavian design; love me a good outhouse!) Managed to locate some very primitive rock art nearby that suggested they were more than 1,000 years old -- crude symbols with lots of patina.

That's the easy answer as to why cowboys wear cowboy boots, I can say that. And I'll say this: the road trip from Grand Canyon to Grand Junction is one loooong drive. As you probably already know, keep your eyes peeled when you're on foot in northern AZ!

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Sometimes I wish there was a consumer protection law that would require that classic rock bands have to include at least 51% of their original members if they’re going to perform under their original name. Kind of like how Taco Bell has to have a certain percentage of its ground beef if they’re going to call it ground beef.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

....my thoughts. But homemade tacos can't be beat. Jerry's quote wouldn't work regarding....
"Not everyone loves licorice, but the ones that do really loves licorice."
Everyone loves tacos.....

Believe it or not, but google ShaNaNa law, a suit that was started in NJ where none of the original members of the band performed under that name. Now there must be at least one surviving member in the band of it to call themselves that. Like at Queen. They have only two original members. Sorry I used to work as a booking agent ans that was part of our licensing test.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Got the new email for th download for Playing In Ther Band from the St Louis Box Set but it isn't working...not just me but others too...no problems with the first two that were made available...this kinda stuff is getting really really old fast...

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I had the same problem trying to download my FLAC of PITB. I hope TPTB are on this.

While we wait, maybe somebody can explain to me why they don't just make your downloads available as soon as you buy the box set? What's the point of releasing one song, and then waiting a month, and releasing another, and then waiting another month for the next one? Maybe it's kind of like kindergarten, where sometimes they just want you to practice waiting for things?

Glad to hear about the Sha Na Na law law law, but we would have to agree that's a pretty sad standard: you only need one of the original 12 members? What's that, a mere 8%? I expect more beef in the burrito.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

It's good to have a house
It's good to have food
It's good to have intellect
It's good to have a job
It's good to work in a school
It's good to have the GD
It's good to have this little outpost of the internet
It's good to have Listen To The River arriving soon
It's good to have health

"rejoice, rejoice, we have no choice but to carry on"

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

How about the one on the way to Taos High Bridge:

"Do Not Throw Litter"

Of course, it's perfectly okay to carefully place toxic waste on the ground, just don't THROW it?

Or my fav from Alaska: "At Your Own Risk Road." We did not go down that one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

The saddest part will be when the whole band is gone, is it just tributes then? ESP since we are now at a point where the first rock and rollers are going faster and more often. Copeland just died and how Mick and Keith outlasted him is beyond me. Jagger just had a hip replacement and his youngest SON just turned 4. He is also a greatgrand father!!!

A contribution to best sign,
Reported in UK Guardian many years ago.
Sign in an otherwise empty field reading ' do not throw stones at this sign'.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Sotheby's is auctioning off some of the wall of sound, including a McIntosh amplifier with a rolling parts box. The other items include owlsleys LSD original chemistry set given to 'ramrod' before bear went to the kink. The chem set is estimated to go for $10.000-15,000. Let's start a collection for that chemistry set, guys.

King Crimson have only had one original member playing on stage with them since they split up at the end of 1969. Lyricist and sound mixer Peter Sinfield stayed on board up until 1972.
Hawkwind have only had one original member with them since 1976, and Gong have literally none, although they had the blessing from founder Daevid Allen before he slipped this mortal coil.
All three bands still performing live under their original name.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

:Dogon, that's a classic example of a sign that will invite stones to be thrown.

Out here in the American West, it's practically any sign that is riddled with bullet holes, large and small. Except, thankfully, on the Interstate.

One sign that is fairly ubiquitous is: "Speed monitored by aircraft"! Yeah, right! Maybe that was true for like 15 minutes 40 years ago, when the cops "realized" that that was not cost effective, now they're just a punchline.

O-kay, t-minus 29 days and counting... yes, I know I'm on the wrong thread. Story of my life..............

user picture

Member for

7 years

Thanks to D. for hooking me up with the RTR show. What a show.

Reminds me of the school of thought that suggests that legislating against something often makes the thing being legislated against more attractive than it would otherwise have been.

Dogon - I think you referred to Help Yourself as being a bit like Quicksilver in a recent post, and I have just noticed that a new box set by them has been released of their complete studio recordings. I have never heard them, myself, but they sound worth checking out. If that makes sense.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A fine, fine band. Certainly worth anyone's time and effort to check out their music. The new 6 CD box set anthology has to be considered essential.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I saw that there is a vinyl box set that is or has been released that will include Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel, Blues for Allah and Steal Your Face in a slip case. It's called Box of Dead Gems.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Good enough for me. Maybe not today, but definitley before the night draws in.

that I was in a record store and found some GD bootlegs (true bootlegs) with weird nonsense song titles. I think they were from 76.

On the drive to work I checked to see if my "no GD right now" rut was still in place. First two tracks of 11/30/79 rocked nicely. So, hopefully that rut is over.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ordered a while back, but Richard Thompson's Mirror Blue, in limited CLEAR vinyl came in today.

The clear is really cool!!!

Forgot they were limited to 1200!

Anyone else get this one?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

The highs are really high, and the rest is good stuff for an end of tour show in the bustling metropolis of Binghamton on November 6, 1977. I particularly enjoyed the St Stephen> Not Fade Away> Wharf Rat> St Stephen Truckin' segment much more this time 'round. The ending of the Truckin' is really strong, and they really nail the ending, and I swear for a moment in the ending, it sounded like Jerry wanted to reprise St Stephen, perhaps forgetting they had already done that after Wharf Rat, which admittedly had rocky lyrical moments. Jerry was also forgetful on Scarlet Begonias, but that's only part of why I've never connected with this Scarlet> Fire, and still didn't this time. Dire Wolf was also an excellent choice in the 1st set, and somewhere I thought I heard Jerry teasing the Dire Wolf lick, maybe Truckin'. Clearly from the tape, they were having fun in the last shows for almost 2 months.

Dave's 26 (11/17/71 & 12/14/71) came up next and I went with it to prepare to Listen to the River in a month's time. Remarkable how different, yet also the same, Truckin' was in those intervening 6 years. And they had to restart Sugaree, and Jerry begs the crowd's forgiveness seeing as "We're new around here", alluding to their New Mexico debut. I listen to The Other One from this show every few months and usually the absolutely incredible Not Fade Away> GDTRFB> NFA. Billy's intro on the drums is just exquisite. First time in New Mexico and they destroy it where Buddy Holly recorded it and Dan Petty gave himself a co-writing credit for producing.

10/18/72 is coming...

My last listen was Dicks 31-the compilation of tracks from 8/4/74-8/6/74. Incredible sky high jams that seem to leave the songs they grow out of behind.
Earlier in the day I finished off 6/9/77, which is also great - very bright and breezy. Skims across the surface a bit compared to the 74 shows. The Help-Slipknot-Franklins is the centre piece of this one for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by daverock

Has always been a favorite of mine, as well, Dave. The only flaw being the shows are incomplete. But we definitely get the meat. Arby's has nothing on that Playin - Scarlet - Playing on CD 4. (As a brit, DaveRock, you likely don't get that joke, unless Arby's has made it's way across the pond. And if so, on behalf of all Americans, I'm truly sorry.)

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

David Crosby is releasing IICORMN which will include outtakes from the session. Do believe Jerry was involved big time with this release and some new unreleased gems will be included in this 2 cd set. The second cd will be all out takes and demos and some new unheard tunes. Always loved this lp and I need to add it to the list of cd's to pick up when it is released in Oct.
Would love some 1970 for Dave's 40.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

as regards Owlsleys LSD original chemistry set...I wonder how much they'd charge to just lick it?

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Just finished listening to this again. I must say, I liked it much better the second time around.
That is all.
Have a wonderful Saturday!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Lebowski99 - no, I'm afraid I don't get it. But I can tell by the tone of your post that there is nothing to apologose for!

Sam - yes, that's a classic album by David Crosby - one more reissue to look out for.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....until my first concert since Iron Maiden in September 2019.
Billy Strings in on tap.
Such a long long time to be gone, but a short time to be there.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

It’s amazing to me how fantastic some of these releases sound after putting them on the shelf FOR YEARS!! We used to discuss having time to go back and listen to the “oldies”, but I certainly haven’t spent much time doing that lately.
The Dark Star>Sitting’ ’ On Top>Dark Star is a gem to me, given it’s mere 17 minute length. The places the boys go in that first 14 minute section are time travel to me. On to Dave’s Vol.5!!
I do wish all a safe and healthy Labor Day weekend.
Music is the Best!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html