• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The box set arrived yesterday and I surprised myself by listening to the first four cds one after the other. Well worth owning, although you can, perhaps, see why they didn’t hit the big time. It’s a bit like the folk rock groups Mellow Candle and Caedmon. They were perfectly good groups but there is only so much space at the top. I’d be interested to hear more live material from Help Yourself as the two tracks from ‘Christmas at the Patti’ still sound good. I haven’t heard that album in decades although I have it somewhere in the LP stack Their tracks on the Zigzag concert release are also worth hearing.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I'll one up ya: how 'bout a "stay-in-bed-all-weekend-drinking-Irish-coffees-and-smoking-fatties" weekend?

Celebrating would provide a big boost to the whiskey and weed industries.

And the soundtrack will be 1971-73 GD.

Oh wait, I'm kinda doing that anyway....

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Okay...how about "stay in bed all weekend - drinking Irish coffees-smoking fatties... and have a few friends round". Broad minded ones, preferably.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....yeah. Not a musician, but a shining light amongst dark clouds. At least to me.
That was my lame attempt at a weather joke btw.
Oh. And if you have a chance to catch Billy Strings live, I suggest you jump on it.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Wasn't willard scott in the Stephen king movie Salem's lot?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

Don't know about Salem's Lot, but my favorite factoid about him has always been that he was the originator of the character of Ronald McDonald. Too bad he didn't get to have his own 100th commemorated by either Al Roker, or whoever would have replaced him by then.

Born in lansing michigan
I was born in east lansing michigan
Twilight zone

US festival happened just after i headed to wa from cali

Missed it by that much, kief. I mean, Chief.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by Colin Gould

In my opinion the live band was a completely different creature to the studio albums, nice easy records with lovely harmonies, but missing ooomph. Today they might come over to new listeners as a bit twee. And I dont remember listening to the albums back in the day, but live they breathed fire, and I stand by my Quicksilver analogi. Full disclosure, I saw them several times, but have no idea which line ups I saw, so perhaps also like Quicksilver, not every iteration brought home the bacon? except at the Zigzag 5th birthday party where I saw them all!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dogon

They seem a bit like the Welsh band Man, Dogon, the way you describe them. With whom they shared a few members. They too were great live - maybe the most Dead like British band I saw -but their studio albums were strictly second division. The live ones weren't bad - Live at the Roundhouse from 1972 stretches out nicely, and goes well with 70's wallpaper.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I would like to second VGuy's rec to go see Billy Strings if you have the chance. The guy absolutely slays on guitar, and every time I have seen him, he has done a few really nice Dead tunes. He is the real deal. We have tickets to see him in November in D.C.

_'Salem's Lot_ is an absolute classic! There is a television series on Epix called _Chapelwaite_ that is based on the short story "Jersusalem's Lot" found in the early King collection _Night Shift_. It takes place in the 1850s and goes into the history of the town that eventually allowed it to be the place of horror it is in the novel. I haven't seen the show, but it looks pretty good - Adrian Brody stars. The issue is that in order to watch it, you have to subscribe to Epix - yet another streaming service. We got rid of cable in favor of streaming only to reinvent a more expensive and confusing version of cable. Alas... If anyone has seen the show, is it worth shelling out another $5.99 a month? (On another note, I am currently reading _Later_, one of King's more recent efforts. It is good - not _'Salem's Lot_ good, but the man can still tell a hell of a story.)

One more thing to note: Last weekend, the wife and I attended a music festival just outside of Baltimore and saw some great acts. One that absolutely stood out was this guy from Mississippi named Christone "Kingfish" Ingram (you can find him under Kingfish.) The guy is 22-23 years old, but plays and sings like he's been around for a long time. Incredible energy, incredible singing, and blistering guitar. If your into the blues, check him out and be reassured that the tradition is alive and well with this young man!

What's the last Dave's going to be? Back to the primal years? First foray into the 90s? Looking forward to finding out!

Happy Labor Day, DeadLand!

Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, is the live at the Roundhouse with Cippolina?
If so, I was there. If I remember only a couple of Quicksilver songs made it on to the album, those that had appeared on the Revolution soundtrack, I guess it was a copyright issue since both Man and Revolution were on UA.
It was a nice gig, quite similar to Zigzags 5th birthday, plenty of pubrock bands, Kilburn and the Highroads (Ian Dury!)Chili Willi (with Martin Stone of Mighty Baby!) Bees make Honey, and Barry Melton, a couple of songs made it onto his UA album.( My departed pal Paul is on the record, whooping to the immoral song Ice Cream man)
I had to sit my finals the next day, but going to the Roundhouse with my (immoral!) Spanish girlfriend to see Cippo seemed like a better use of time than study preparation.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Hopefully, 10/31/69, or some other cool show from 68, 69, or 70. 9/20/70. would also be cool.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dogon

Dogon - no, the Man gig I am referring to took place a few years before the one with John Cippollina. It was on February 13th 1972, and was a benefit for the Miners strike. There is a three cd set of this, called "Greasy Truckers Party" featuring one side of Man, one of Brinsley Schwartz and one of Hawkwind, who headlined.

I think you definitley made the right decision going to see John Cippolinna with an immoral Spanish girlfriend instead of doing study preparation. In fact, I can't think of much that would top that! I still haven't got round to getting that album, though.

Incidentally, Deke Leonard wrote a very amusing account of his meeting and time spent with John Cippollina in his excellent memoir "Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics - The Legend of Man." Well worth hunting down if you haven't read it.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It was fred Willard who played Larry Crockett in Salem's lot. Half-credit I guess. I was listening to RTR and enjoying the brilliant caution>jam. I am a jam fan of the dead and this is pretty much as good as it gets for that feeling you get in your stomach when the jam gets to its crescendo. Good stuff D.

It would be 2 1/2 more years after that show in the Stanley Theatre before I would see the GD for my first time. This two night run has always been highly regarded. The theatre is a gem and the band was on.

Living within target range of Pittsburgh, I have seen multiple other shows in this venue since. I realize most cities have these old Vaudeville era theatres, but the Stanley (now the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts) and Heinz Hall are class acts with stunning acoustics.

Google the venue and imagine seeing the GD there. (cannot past linqs).
These 79 shows were many of my friends first show. Sadly, they only played there six times. Twice in 69, twice in 79 and twice in 81.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

After first listening to DaP39, my first reaction was basically, “well, I guess I’m just not that into ’83 Dead.” And I kept that reaction to myself, partly because discussion of this DaP seems to have gotten a little testy, and I didn’t want to throw gas on the proverbial flames.

But then I listened to DiP6, which as many of you will know is recorded just a few months later in ’83 than DaP39. And it’s fucking awesome! Fucking. Awesome. Which got me thinking about the differences between the shows, and between Dick and Dave.

I think Dick was just trying to issue the best shows that he could, without much too concern about it being a complete show or being in less than perfect sound quality. And Dave, by contrast, is insisting on complete shows, and seems to insist on consistently high quality audio. But the bigger difference seems to be that Dave seems to really like the little oddities: the fact that it was the first time they played that song, or one of the few times they played this one in the first set, whereas Dick didn’t seem to care about that. So with Dick you get a 1983 show that includes a lot of the warhorses—a Scar>Fire, TOO, Eyes, a (great!) Stella—and is just fantastic (IMO, of course) from start to finish. From Dave we get curiosities like the first Shakedown, and Little Star, a “what the hell, why not?” cover of Satisfaction, but the show is (IMO, again, obviously) kind of hit and miss overall.

I think it’s understandable for the GD reissues to have evolved this way. If you’re trying to establish a reissue series, you need to put out some great shows if you want to get people interested. Once you’ve got a couple dozen shows out there, you’re probably going to start to worry about things like duplicating material that people already have and representing different eras of the band. And over time, the ‘heads have come to expect full shows, so people would probably be disappointed with the DiP-style release that left out a couple numbers.

I’m not saying DiP > DaP or anything like that. But I do think maybe the takeaways is that it’s time for me to stop subscribing. Of the recent run of DaP’s, I feel like there have been more “interesting” or “pretty good for that era” shows than essential shows I’m going to listen to over and over. I have to go back to 34 before you find one of those. IMO, YRMV, etc.

Ah well. Ah so. Listening to you, I get the music. Gazing at you, I get the heat.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Doood, if you dig '79, check out 8/12 and 8/13, the first one at the Rocks, the second at Denver's McNichols Arena. 8/12 is a screamer. 8/13 starts with what I've always considered the ultimate, jammed out Shakedown Street. We did some purple blotter both nights. I understand 8/14 is also hot and I was there, but the memory is just not there on the third night. I'm pretty sure I know why...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I will have to listen to this again.. the last time I listened to it was at the urging of one of my college roommates who raved about this one.. he put it on for a road trip. I always thought it was a hot show, but could not get over the recording and fire sounded strung out..., but I took it as a just me thing. It might take me some time to compare them but I will try and revisit later.

I've been round long enough to understand two things.. most importantly my tastes are continually changing.. we all follow our own muse.. plus shows don't always gel even if you were there... sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. If I could clear my mind on demand.. well.. that would be a good trick. The world would be a better place and the music would likely always find a place closer (and to a lesser extent further) to (from) my heart.

So far six never did it for me. I think I should listen to six and thirty six back to back and reform my opinions. Same venue four years apart.

Thanks for posting.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Ala carte is always an option. There definitely has been some head scratchers along the way, but I love the series. Not every show, but man, we are so lucky.

Dick passed away before Dick's 15 was released and Dave took over the series from there. Some great releases before and after Dick passed and we can thank them both. There were some full shows released and sometimes two.

They retired the Dick's series because
the last few in the series did not sell well at all. Which is surprising, but true.

Road Trips were a totally different idea and of course turned into complete shows.

And tbe whole point of tbe Dave's series was complete shows and I think the numbers speak for themselves. Keep them coming Dave!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

That seems a pretty good summing up of the state of play as see it.

Listening to Dicks Picks 7 yesterday-the compilation from September 1974 at Ally Pally. I think this is a great release, although reports from people who attended the shows from this run are a bit guarded, going off memory. Maybe listening to this release, chopped up as it is, is more satisfying than it would have been to have been at one of the actual shows. As I have thought before-listening to recorded live music at home is a whole different ball game to listening to it on the spot, as it was played.
One thing for sure, with these Dicks 1974 compilations-and the October 1974 run - you do get a lot of jam on your sandwich.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

... then you can thank me. Or, on second thought, keep it to yourself, because Phil would probably be ticked off!

As you might know, a great Californication is occurring, in which hundreds of millions of dollars are being spent to answer the question of whether the guy who won the governor's office with 62% of the vote way back in November 2018 should be allowed to continue serving the final 13 months of his supposedly 4 year term.

There is a recall election upon the land, and the ballot contains two questions: Should Governor Newsom be recalled? And if so, who should replace him?

I'm not crazy about Newsom--I've seen better, and I've seen worse--but I am even less enthusiastic about the list of troglodytes and reality show stars who would replace him if the recall is successful. So I voted against the recall (if you must know), but I voted for Phil as a write-in candidate for his replacement just in case. I also talked my wife into doing it, and a couple friends. So Phil's going to get at least 5 votes.

I think he'd do a good job.

not to get political, but perhaps in a short sentence?

when I think of American politics, my mind hears a medley of Laurel and Hardy, Three Stooges, and Benny Hill music.

but we are here for the GD.

11/11/85 is my current show. interesting opening pair of tunes, at least.

How many total shows did the GD play?

A lot.

Phil won't be governor, just good humor.

Dead.net does have a Senator or two though.. ;D

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Second that emotion and recommendation to proudfoot re: the '79 Red Rocks/McNichols shows. All we could say was who was this new guy with the long hair ripping it up on keyboards? Brent's new energy and jazz chops were evident from the get-go. Maybe like the Beatles when Billy Preston came in to save an album, Brent got the band interested in their own music again. Some of Brent's early "learning curve" stuff is better than when he got his own groove, then later rut, established. Like HF my memory is vague about the third night except that my seats were bad and some echo chamber sound issues, but the second night had a great Nobody's Jam sequence that Denver has gotten it's fair share of over the years.
Full disclosure: I never met a Red Rocks show I didn't like.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

what's the O for? Oh my God, it's early

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I would have forgotten about this anniversary set. Interesting that people who saw the DP 7 shows thought they were subpar Daverock. The recording takes some EQ touch-ups, but overall I love the good separation and loud Jerry / Keith frequently in "jazz" mode.

The collection for the DP 7 set is all great, but the 2nd half is worthy of some serious attention. Has one of the best '74 Truckins' I can think of (Keith especially jams out nicely on the grand piano; then there's the Wood Green Jam (I would love to know who named that one) then Wharf Rat (another Keith extravaganza), and then I can't remember the quality of Me and My Uncle, but how bad can it be, right?

Just reviewing the set list and listening as I write this and throw down some French Roast (even better when you set the K-Cup water level to 8 oz instead of 10.

Next there's a somewhat overlooked foray into a looong NFA. I don't recall other pre-hiatus versions exceeding even10 minutes, let alone this16 minute ode to marijuana. It's all "pick your face up off of the floor" oooey-gooey jammy. It makes for a great round of "follow the Jerry". I'm losing brain cells just thinking about it.

And then the real fun begins. One of the best Dark Stars in my book, plus "Spam Jam". Personally, I just think Dick felt certain Jams were name-worthy after a bong hit.

Morning Dew. What can one say? There really aren't any bad ones, but this one is extra melty IMHO. Jerry's soloing is xtra good, Keith does some really cool shit with the Fender Rhodes to add some atmosphere and mood - great stuff (I guess I talk him up a bit, but it's just kind of what I do). Well, in the immortal words of Vguy: "Morning Dew ain't no filler".

And I enjoy '74 U.S. Blues the best. I never dug this song too much until I saw the front row Deadhead in the Grateful Dead Movie rocking out to it and singing the chorus.

Anyway, that's just the back 9. Whole thing is awesome. I think this would be a good one to remaster. I think with the advances in technology and the job we've been hearing Jeffrey Norman do on '74 shows lately makes this one a great candidate. Maybe include the 3 shows in full and we can decide for ourselves. I'll be interested in looking at the setlist.

Saw Rush last night at the movie theater. I think it was a one-night only thing, but I must say for Rush fans. Mostly close-ups and excellent sounds so it was the closest type of thing to seeing them we'll ever get again. On a related note, I can't believe they've done 40th anniversary box sets for the last four records, but seem to have skipped over their Zenith Moving Pictures. Would love to have one of those shows remastered from beginning to end.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

As an attendee of one of the September '74 Ally Pally shows, I can assure you that I thoroughly enjoyed the show. For a live performance in what was basically a large shed, the sound quality was amazing - it was of course a Wall of Sound show. I was unimpressed by Ned and Phil's Seastones that separated the first and second sets, but the rest was all top notch as far as I can recall. I was extremely wasted due to a surfeit of space cakes, the story of which I have already shared on here in the distant and not-so-distant past, but despite that, or maybe due to that, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening's entertainment.

@ Keithfan: I also have no idea who named the Wood Green Jam, but it is in fact not such an arbitrary name as it may at first seem. Alexandra Palace is in Alexandra Park which is bounded on the north east side by a railway and Alexandra Palace railway station. On the other side of the tracks from Alexandra Park is the suburban district of Wood Green in the London borough of Haringey. Also the closest London Underground station to Ally Pally is Wood Green station.
The close proximity of Wood Green to Ally Pally would seem to be a likely reason for the name Wood Green Jam.

I would also welcome a remastered release of all three shows in their entirety as a small box like the Winterland '73 and '77 boxes.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

40 years ago tomorrow, the start of a stellar weekend at the Berkeley Greek Theatre; 3 shows that would have made a great box set had the tapes been in the vault.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

I am familiar with 8/12/79

I heard set two of 8/13/79 a long time ago

mo' 79 Dave, please

Greek September 81: I wasn't on the bus yet, but have recordings

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

Sorry about that Simon, I misremembered what you said about Ally Pally in the past. I remembered the space cakes and what you said about Phil and Ned, but not the rest of it.
I too would welcome a remastered release of the whole run - hell, why not the whole tour? The jam on 9/11/74- from Seastones into space into Eyes into a jam that reaches ever onwards is exceptional.

Incidentally, I noticed a 40th anniversary of The Stones Tattoo You coming out in October. This for me is the best of the studio albums they cut with Ron Wood. It's too expensive, of course, but I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for when the price drops a bit.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Go to the utoob D&C channel and watch the intermission show with guest DL.
It’s at the start of the free 9-10-21 Set2 preview.

And then stay for the Deal, with bandana Bob and headphones John.
?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Most of the songs came out of the can from previous albums. Start Me Up started as a reggae tune I think for the black and blue record in 75. The backing track for waiting on a friend goes back to 72 I think. Mick Taylor actually plays rhythm guitar on it.

ttps://youtu.be/xFCJHVv636M

Keithfan-yes, I can remember reading that Tattoo was pieced together from many songs recorded and written in the past. It's surprising it works really.
They did that with earlier albums a bit, too. Sister Morphine dated from about 1968, and some of the songs on Exile were born during the recordings that made up Sticky Fingers. Loving Cup on Exile was first played live at Hyde Park in 1969.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I didn't realize that was played at Hyde Park. I've almost bought that one a few times, but I think maybe it's just excerpts that I've seen (and not great camera angles). I really do enjoy the Mick Taylor era best. Ronnie Wood is a cool dude, great guitarist, and a great fit for Keith, but I can't think of a single solo he's done that's blown me away. He's like half a Mick Taylor. He fills in perfectly as the second rhythm guitar for the "weaving" sound that Keith and Mick Taylor truly developed, but I have never been impressed by his lead work. Love his slide playing. I got into the Stones via Start Me Up on the radio every 10 minutes when I was 9, but stuck strictly to the hits. Hot Rocks and Rewind was all I needed until I hit college. Then I caught the bug a little bit with some deep cuts like Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile, and Time Waits For No One. But Exile on Main St eluded me. For years I just cherry picked Tumbling Dice, Sweet Black Angel, and Happy from that one, and I wondered what all of the fuss was about. Then I saw the Ladies and Gentlemen concert movie on TV around their 50th, when they released Grrr! Then I had a Stones resurgence (I typically only listen to one band at a time for weeks / months / years). I had a lot of time and Percocet on my hands after wisdom tooth surgery and put on Exile beginning to end. "Ah," thought I, "simply didn't have the right drugs in me all of these years". (Disclaimer - opioids are bad, mmmkay?) But man, Rocks Off, Loving Cup, Soul Survivor, Just Want To See His Face, All Down The Line, Shine A Light.... all fantastic in their own right. I think it's the only time I've listened to a record twice back-to-back in one sitting. The magic of Exile is that it works best as a whole. And it's aged extraordinarily well. Once considered a mediocre mish-mosh of a follow up to the mighty Sticky Fingers, the Stoned-er Than Thou critics who once looked upon it with indifference now consider it their magnum opus. For my part, I would have a bitch of a time choosing between it and Sticky Fingers. If anyone out there hasn't seen the Stones in Exile documentary, it's a pretty good watch about their time recording it. Man, it sounds like rock 'n roll excess at its peak. At least read the Wikipedia article about it. Would love to have been a fly on the walk for that extravaganza. But yeah, Tattoo You - the luckiest number one record ever. In America at least. Wikipedia says it only reached #2 in Britain; you Englishmen knew something was up (i.e. the album was a batch of old songs strewn together). Trivia question - MTV days, Waiting On A Friend video - what is the building they're sitting in front of famous for?

Listening to 6/18/74 Road Trips. Jimbo, I think this has an Eyes ofbthe World you recommended a while back. This is a great release. Possibly the loudest '74 Jerry guitar release. I think I caught a little bit of It Hurts Me Too in It's A Sin jam.

Got offered a Guns 'N Roses ticket in A.C. 2nite. I can't turn down this opportunity. Will be my first show since covid. Turns out we have floor tickets but I'm told it's a standing / "festival seating" type of deal. Sound should be good down there and it's a small venue. I'll have plenty of space once I break out the air guitar.

Well. That was a bunch of crap. Sorry about the rambling post.

Maybe better than the bandana are the clam diggers!

I guess everything really does come back.

A straw hat and bob is ready to sing Jamaica Farewell.

... I'm sad to say, my pants shrunk this way...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I have numerous Stones vault videos in which Ronnie Wood simply stuns with his powerful, adroit lead lines, absolutely KILLING IT.

Okay, you may not perceive it that way, granted. I'm not casting asparagus. But I'd urge you to have another look and listen, cuz that man can rage on lead guitar -- even while fooling around onstage, smoking and making the requisite rock 'n roll faces. How many times have I been blown away, jaw literally dropping, at Ronnie's screamer leads. Any comparison to Mick Taylor is apples and oranges, like comparing Jerry to Jimi -- two different animals.

With his ability to do anything -- catch that man playing slide! -- Ron Wood long ago became a quintessential Stone. In a band that, for me, now, sadly is defunct without good ole Charlie.

Thus begin the Ronnie Wood Wars as we contemplate a box in three weeks and another DP at October's end. I'm sayin' '69 is coming for Halloween and that's somehow appropriate.

Actually, I'm just a crispy fan who probably over-amped at most of the early Rocks shows, thus becoming a zombie evangelist for those shows.

However, noting your nametag, I surmise that 8 July '78 was your first show. Lucky you! That was a goodie, even though they couldn't wrestle Bobby's slide away from him.

Ooops, there I go again.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keithfan - Loving Cup isn't featured in the film of Hyde Park - not in any version I have ever seen, anyway. The film itself is quite interesting as a piece of social history - but it feature possibly the worst live music I have ever heard by The Stones. Or anyone else, come to that. This is what rock music must sound like to people who don't like it.

As for guitar styles within The Stones - Keith Richards is the only one that really matters. Lead guitar is just the cherry on the top with this band - the heart of the beast lies in the rhythm. The fact that they hit such a strong run between 1968 and 1973 had nothing to do with Mick Taylor joining. Great guitarists playing single line solos were 10 a penny in those days, but no one else could whip up the voodoo like Keith Richards. Similarly, their decline had nothing to do with Mick Taylor going and Ron Wood coming. In my opinion, of course.

I must check out that Exile documentary - been meaning to ever since it came out.

It has also just occurred to me that tomorrow marks the 48th anniversary of when I first saw The Stones in Belle Vue, Manchester.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html