• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

sorry.

never assume.

I thought the 72 was for GD 72

another reason for me to leave sports alone

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

we went to Mt. Rainier Saturday. free admission.

If you ever get to WA, you must visit that national park.

burnsy, your image is you at MR, am I correct? (no assuming)

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

41 years ago today, I was up at the Warfield Theatre seeing a killer acoustic/electric Dead show. What a blast! They started the show out with Dire Wolf , what a killer of a party.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Listening to a rare Nina Simone album, "Nina Simone Sings Billie Holiday." Sublime.

Went to Van Morrison Saturday night at the outdoor shed. Standing in line before the show, bullshitting, some dude hands me and my bud four capsules of powdered mushrooms. We immediately took one (natch) and waited about 90 minutes before washing down the other with a double Jack Daniel's and soda.

It was one of those untouchable, beautiful summer nights in Denver, the air cool clean and crisp, yet balmy and soft. Now I've heard a lot of things about Van Morrison and not all of them good. Van played and sang his ass off, a 76 years young R&B singer belting out his biggest hits, "Moondance, Jackie Wilson, Brown Eyed Girl, Baby Please Don't Go, Gloria, etc.) and blowing a ton of sax at altitude. He still carries himself like a badass and sounds like he always has.

I would like to thank both the random gentleman in line and Van Morrison for the best night out of this year, so far.

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Daverock - it's very hip right now to collect vinyl all the kids are doing it
Oro - thanks for the advice, agree it does defeat the purpose to go wireless
Proud - it is Rainier! Didn't make it this summer, but snagged an Olympic NP (The Ho'h!) backpack instead. The Wonderland Trail, someday, maybe, well one can dream

Love Mt. Rainier, love acoustic and electric Dead, love mushrooms, love Van Morrison.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today………..

September 1971 is the only month of the year in which there were no live Dead shows. However, the Dead did hold rehearsals with Keith Godchaux in late September and early October 1971, supposedly at the Santa Venetia Armory in San Rafael, California.

For an excellent discussion of the Dead’s rehearsal spaces/places, see the following:
lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2013/01/grateful-dead-rehearsal-spaces-1965-1995

For an excellent discussion of the circumstances of Keith joining the band, please see:
deadessays.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-keith-joined

The rehearsals themselves appear to have been held on September 28-30 and October 1, 1971. Variable quality recordings from these dates have circulated for quite some time, and predominantly consist of run throughs of short songs, including new material (such as Jack Straw, Tennessee Jed, One More Saturday Night, Mexicali Blues) and some material that subsequently was not played later in 1971 (Deep Elem Blues, Attics Of My Life, Ripple). While there are some short jams, no longer, free form jams appear on the commonly circulating recordings.

If the only new thing we have to offer is an improved version of the past, then today can only be inferior to yesterday. Hypnotized by images of the past, we risk losing all capacity for creative change……

Rock on!!

Doc
Face your fears and doubts, and new worlds will open to you…..

I was surprised to get my ticket for Patti Smith this morning, rescheduled from last year to...next week! Yikes. I'm not ready to go back to London just yet though -train journeys, hotels, loads of other people...so I cancelled my ticket. Shame.

Itsyburnsy -looks like I am "down with the kids", as they say round here. Long time since I did anything that could be described as being hip!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Ledded - Sounds like you saw Van on THE perfect night. I’ve never been able to connect up to see him, regrettably, since the guy has such a great voice. I think I got hooked when I saw him in the The Last Waltz.

As for other performers from the Waltz, I received an e-mail from Dylan’s site the other day, and he is hitting the road again - awesome - but what was amazing was he is planning a tour until 2024! He is 80 now. I just love these guys - Bob, Van, Neil, the Stones, etc - just love to play live. Yes, maybe not peak era, but it works for me. I’ll book any towns for Dylan in my vicinity, and I usually trek to upstate NY, but with the border still closed….

Burnsy - Vinyl is sweet sounding, but being retired (ie - of “modest” means), the price is too prohibitive for me. Once I bought all the Blue Note jazz reissues I’d want, I’d be busted flat.

Daverock- That is too bad about missing Patti Smith, but understandable. This Covid doth sucketh! There will be other shows.

Doc - You really have to write a book. Your passion for the Dead is contagious. We’d all get an in for an autographed copy!!

Oro - Hello Amigo! I hope all is well Colorado way.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Gonna see the man this Sunday with Taj Mahal opening. But first...Pat Metheny tomorrow night (3rd row center).
First concert experience since Ricky Skaggs in March of 2020. Lotta good stuff coming up, including my first Phish show later next month.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

ThatMike - nice thought-at this stage in the game we can but hope!

I only saw Van Morrsion once when he guested at The Pretty Things final performance about three years ago. He sang "Baby Please Don't Go", "I Can Tell" and "Roadrunner...and his voice was incredible. It was a great gig all round, but he did lift things to another level the brief time he was on stage. Is he always that grumpy, though? He didn't look very happy at all.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I see 17 is released in mid-November. It’s a compilation of the best existing bits from three shows from Nov 76 in NorCal.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

All is well. Sent you a follow-up PM.

KF

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

First predictions, Winterland 1977, or maybe from the years 1979, 1990 or 1991. I would like a 1968, 1969 or 1970 box, but I don't look for that to happen.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Can someone tell me why this unopened box w/bonus disk commands such a high price from $1,400 - $1,750 on a popular site? I know it was a 2008 release and it's limited . I also understand its probably on the top 5 all time greatest but it seems some boxes are hit or miss on the resale prices no matter the rarity. Thanks. P.S.- I would also ask that if I did haggle on the site for mabey $1,000, would this box increase in value, say for an investment to my daughter when I bite the dust?

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

I see an unopened copy of the 1973 box set at Winterland with the bonus disc going for $499.00 on eBay at 11:30 p.m. P.S.T. Now, I would pay that much for that, because I think it's that good.. The 1977 box set from Winterland is the one on eBay that people seem to ask a whole lot for and I would never pay as much for that as they are asking for, but thats just me. Anyway, you can get the 1973 box set for a whole lot less then you mentioned, and it is in my opinion much better then the 1977 box set.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The question is whether anyone is paying that much for it. There is a way to do a search for sold items by title if you login through computer (at least there used to be). Finding one of these brand new with Bonus Disc is a rare antiquity, and the bonus disc is no slouch. But I very much doubt it's going to sell for that much. But who knows. Lotta Dead fans out there, especially with Dead and Co being alive 6 or 7 years now, and sticking with it through covid. This guy just needs one guy who fits 2 criteria to make his sale: avid collector and money to burn. I fit in the avid collector category, but unfortunately not the money to burn heh.

user picture

Member for

7 years

That sounds much cheaper and good advice. I'll keep an eye out. There is going to be a lot of banter going on till we get the goodies around the 8th. Thanks guys.

He is known to be. He can also be a good guy. I saw him up close a number of times in the 80’s & 90’s when my friend worked for BGP. Impatient would b a good description
On another note I received the long sleeve Halloween long sleeve shirt. Definite value very thick unlike other t shirts I’ve bought from them

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by snafu

Snafu - I'll bet no one has accused Van of using laughing gas ! But joking aside, some of the best people I have known have had rough personalities, and some of the .... people I have known have had very pleasant personalities. And some of the people I have known have had no personalities at all.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Unless I’m mistaken, I do not believe that was a limited edition release. Back in late 2012 and early 2013 Dead.net seemed to be cleaning house with their inventory. Or at the very least running sales around the holidays. I had the sense that these would no longer be available someday, so I grabbed a bunch of box sets and some of the Road Trips series. The entire music collection of Europe 72 was also on sale at a discount.

I looked up my old email receipts and was able to pick up each of the Winterland 73 and 77 releases for only $10 more than the Hampton 89 release. All I know at this point is that I way over paid for Hampton.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

never a big fan (never heard Astral Weeks)...probably because I have heard Brown Eyed Girl WAAAAY too many times.

everyone seems to say he is curmudgeonly

who pooped in his corn flakes?

at the risk of TMI: I do play his version of "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" to my (sometimes curmudgeonly) beloved on our anniversary every year.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

It had a Dark Star surcharge of about $25.

Barely sounded better than the CD-R copies of the shows I already had at the time.

Yes, those sales around 2011-2012 that AJS speaks of.
I used them to pick up the RT chop jobs that I previously passed on because I only wanted complete, or as complete as possible, shows. They had a sale one year on 4/1 called “April Ship of Fools Sale” that was 10 or 20% off with free shipping. I spent several hundred $ that day and filled in some gaps.

....if I remember correctly, they both skyrocketed in price seemingly overnight. I got Winterland '73 for $100 on this site. Put off getting the '77 box at the time. Started looking to get it maybe a couple of months later, and it was going for at least $300 if not more on resell sites and was sold out here. Hard pass for me. I think I got the better of the two anyway.

Those sales were quite awesome.

I basically bailed on the band from 95 up until Furthur in 2011. Consequently, I missed out on FW69, E72, lots of Dick’s Picks, the Road Trips series and both Winterland boxes.

Aside from FW69 and Dick’s Picks I was able to fill out my collection through the sales. E72 at a 20% discount with free shipping. A no brainer. I instructed my brother and a few friends to purchase E72 as well. All were hesitant, but now are forever appreciative.

Who knew the band would experience such a resurgence and prices would become so ridiculous.

Hampton '89 should be remastered and re-released in my humble opinion. This one did not get the Full Norman and it shows.

As for Winterland.. I never understood the 77 vs. 73 price weirdness. I'd take 73 over 77 any day of the week, not that 77 is bad, but hey.. it's just me being me and I like 73, these shows rock. I also recall the histrionic comments on the sound quality of '73 when it first came out.. so many complaints, so little merit. Yes, it's flawed somewhat.. but man, for the most part it sounds fantastic. To each her/his own. Winterland '73 is a high water mark of sorts.

My big regret is that they released 2/24/74 as a stand alone release and eliminated the Winterland 74 box.. which would have made this whole conversation bigger and better. Oh, BCT 72 should have been a box too.. but at least we getting the Fox Box, which is every bit as good.

So there we have it.. some excellent GD hype, and well deserved hype at that. Great shows great music, most of which has been or is being released. Happy Day.

Edit: One other add.. and I could be wrong. I don't recall either Winterland Box being a limited release. If I am right.. they could and perhaps will one day do a second pressing. Tomorrow never knows.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'm completely on board Jimbo... I could just imagine it packaged exactly like 73 and 77 except red.

I was lucky enough to get 73 and 77 while they were still available on this site. That was in 2014 so they must have manufactured a shit ton of them.

I also agree with you Jimmy on the odd discrepancy between the pricing of the 73 and 77 box sets on eBay. I may be biased because that winterland 73 box that was my first taste of 1973 Dead. I don't mind the audio. I'm not sure what the complaints were because I wasn't around when it was released, but the only thing about the audio that I can tell is that it's a little bit mid-rangey, but that's what the equalizer is for. I thought I remember reading that it was recorded on a better quality higher speeds reel-to-reel machine the normal for that time. The recording is incredibly dynamic and even throughout, so it sounds really full to me at high volume, and with no drops or flutters or sudden symbols slicing through my ears. I listen sparingly because I don't want it to lose its magic. Outstanding setlists and performances. Contains a top 10 Dark Star and IMHO the GOAT Loose Lucy (it has this slow hard Groove that's really heavy on the piano). Screw it, I'll put it on right now - Lock and load! Damn the torpedoes! Fire in the hole!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Two open used '73s have sold in the last day on eBay for $199. The prices for the '77 are all over the board, especially the unopened ones. They range from $300s to $1400 but buyer beware. Two I saw looked like they may have been re-shrink wrapped. Did they even come shrink wrapped? Collectability would be the reason to never open it and thus insure your heirs will have high value but who among us would not listen to it? Would you buy two and save one? There are better investments. As for the ups and downs of the collector market for these, my guess is they won't bottom out like brown furniture has as the collectors aged and younger folks with the money aren't into that style. These Dead CDs will hold their value if you don't overpay but they won't keep going up steadily like rarer collectables. You can look at it on a shelf but they were meant to be played.
Cheers!

Edit: The bonus disc seems to be the most egregious pricing as it is rarer, settling in around $150. Obviously the box sets that include this are also much pricier. So in general you will pay at least double in the secondary market so buy it while it's fresh and play Dead!

Mine came shrink wrapped.. the only thing that did not was E72 which came in a big plastic sleeve/bag. I think the bonus CD for W 73 was inside the box if memory serves..

Freaking awesome three show box set. I will have to give it a listen one day soon.. perhaps next month??

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

These 3 October Dead shows should definitely be released: 10/9/82 Frost Ampitheatre, 10/31/69 San Jose State, and 10/12/68 Avalon Ballroom, all great shows , all very release worthy. Comon Deadnet, turn em lose.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I don't buy all the box sets, but I picked up both the Winterland boxes shortly after release. They were definitely shrink wrapped and came with a bonus pinback button in each, which I still have placed on my speakers. The Winterland 73 box came with a Good Ole' Grateful Dead button and the Winterland 77 came with a GD Movie button (the standing skeleton). I rarely listen to the bonus discs.

Both are in my regular rotation, with 11/10/73 (Playing'-UJB-Dew sammy) and 11/11/73 (Dark Star for the ages) obviously being major shows and the 6/9/77 with the standout H-S-F never being off my phone for listening to in the car. Just last week I grabbed the 6/7/77 show and that, too, is a stellar show despite some hiccups with Jerry's microphone. The UJB is one of my favorites after listen after a long break.

Side note: I have been listening to shows I have not heard in awhile and grabbed the DaP 19, Honolulu 1970. Has anyone ever figured out who the extra singer was on the Lovelight on that release? I suspect he is also playing slide for a brief solo during said song as well.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

You'll probably like that RGM $12. two LP sale item: Live Fillmore West 1969 Country Joe & The Fish and Friends. Guests for CJ&Fish's last gig (as they were breaking up) include Jerry, Mickey, Jorma, Jack, and Steve Miller. Has a big two sides jam that was kinda meh for me as early psychedelia has a little too much tremolo in both the guitars and vocals for my tastes. According to liner notes "the new English band" Led Zeppelin opened the show which gave the friends plenty of party time before coming on. Photo shows Jerry wearing a suit jacket or blazer. Never seen THAT! Steve Miller's harp awful and off key. Jerry basically on rhythm as Jorma takes the leads and Jack belts out excellent bass through 4 amps, one for each string. No wonder he always sounds powerful! Nice groove overall but a bit like other "and friends" things where too many chefs spoil the broth. Did have an interesting Pigpen style rap early on that steals from his Mojo Hand verses. Great liner notes about having to record in a truck out on the street and the recordist having to watch the levels and his back. He had to fight off a "street gang" trying to break into the truck using a broken bottle. Don't guess Betty ever had to do that. Vanguard label producers said that it was hard getting good recordings of CJ&Fish earlier at Fillmore East as the the shows were so long that CJ came on after Procol Harem and 10 Years After and by then it was the middle of the night and both the audience and the band were wiped out by then. Those were the days! So there's my review.
Spinning the formless reflections vinyl now of Light Into Ashes. EXCELLENT sound quality! Damn, that is a good Dark Star. The Phil stomp sounds so good on vinyl. Always better bass on vinyl it seems. And that's my other review.
Cheers all!
Rockthing: That sale album had a skip first play. Got rid of most of it but it was excess vinyl. Actually has a spec of black vinyl imbedded near there too in an all yellow LP. Good thing it was cheap.

I think this came out originally in the 1990s. I really like their first two studio albums, but I wasn't sure about this-if its the same one. I'm not sure jamming was really their forte-and those late 60s early 70s jams with three or more electric guitarists on stage at the same time don't do much for me, I'm afraid. Not trying to be a killjoy or anything!

Good news about Light Into Ashes. I'm waiting for that one here in England.

So, any possible rumors/info on what Dave's 40 could be?

So far this year, Dave has given us: 4/15/78, 9/8/73, and 4/26/83.

Plus, the Fox Box has 2 shows from '71, 3 from '72, and 2 from '73. And the Skull & Roses 50th had a chunk from 7/2/71.

I'd say early 70's is played out. Gotta be earlier ('70 or before) or perhaps Hornsby era ('90-'91). Two Brent era releases would be virtually unheard of. And the last release is usually pretty tasty to spur ordering subscriptions in November. So I will go with 60's Pig.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

DaP 35 and 36.
A year ago.

The DaP series is due for a Hornsby show.
I’ll take 10-31-91 please.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Is that a Hornsby show? It has a Dark Star>Drumz>Dark Star, that I know...

By the way, my favorite Grateful Dead cover is Shakedown Street. Just a little zing. No harm meant or intended...

P.S. I think that Kesey reads some poetry during the Dark Star or Space or something on 10-31-91...and things get pretty intense. Going on memory here.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hoping for more merch than a glass. I need a beer cozy. My Get Shown The Light pair are almost worn out.
As for music, I don't have enough of the late peak years, say '89 or '91.
When does 40 come out again?
Cheers!
Edit: Testing... testing... just wanted to see if my new avatar was working. A little more like my user name.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

Hope all are well. Been a few weeks, had my secondary machine die so pc shoping.

Wanted to express my condolences concerning Bob Matthews. A huge loss to the Sound Engineering field. He will be missed. Hope loved ones are doing ok.

I still have a lot of history to catch up on him.

g

Yes, Gary Duncan does play with the band at this show. While I don't much care for guitar armies jamming on blues riffs, I would make an exception for Gary Duncan. And John Cippollina too, of course. A definite case of- clear the decks, guitar royalty is at hand. Pity the latters appearance at the closing of the Winterland 12/31/78 shows him in such an unflattering light, especially considering how widely available it is.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

Don't comment on here too often, but I'm an avid reader and big fan.

All the talk of 10/31/91 brings back some great memories. I was at that show, dressed as tie-dye Jesus (crown of thorns and all). It was a great show. Nice Help/Slip/Frank to open the show. I think the only Dark Star I saw live?

Ken Kesey was definitely there during space, I think, and he did read a poem. It was just 5 days after Bill Graham died in a Helicopter crash coming home from the Concord Pavilion. The poem that Kesey read was the following by E.E. Cummings:

'Buffalo Bill's/ defunct'

Buffalo Bill's
defunct
who used to
ride a watersmooth-silver
stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat
Jesus
he was a handsome man
and what i want to know is
how do you like your blueeyed boy
Mister Death

Anyway, great show memories. Thanks all for sharing, I enjoy all the stories...

Now where's that box!?!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In fairness, same goes for men. I've met some huge a-holes in my time. And, I've probably been one myself a few times no doubt. Gotta make sure we are being honest with ourselves, hey...

In the end we all just gotta try to be our best selves...and Be Kind! :-)

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html