• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

During the entire 10 year span of Dave's picks, I have purchased one item; a DaP12 t-shirt. I bought two because it looked so cool. I would have purchased one for DaP5, but none were produced unless I am mistaken. Please correct me if I am.

Just give me the music and I am content wearing my old Calvin and Hobbes doing whippets t-shirts.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Currently Sotheby's is offering Dead equipment, including one of Jerry's guitars and his Macintosh amp.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So I had a yellow t-shirt in '72-'73 with the skull & roses emblem on it. I think it was originally my older brother's shirt. I was recently turned 15 (I'm innocent, I swear!) and my mom would try to patch the tears in it. And say, as I headed off on the road to another show, "Be careful!"

Fast forward to a couple years ago when I got very into pulling together what New Riders shows I could find in top sound (thanks Jim and others who helped), including the official live releases and, teetering on the brink of disaster, I bought an NRPS patch to sew onto my jean jacket. Still sitting on my dresser. Cost like $12. So I'm a hypocritical ho!

Still, the GD merch world does not have to be like Safeway, where the day after Labor Day they bust out the Halloween shwag and on Nov. 1 it'll be turkeys and freakin' Pilgrims (now there's a good spot to plant a hand axe...). The day after Thanksgiving (one of America's great lies) it's freakin' mangers and Santa and snow men and a whole lotta BS on loving everyone. Anything they can sell around... Except you notice there's no shwag for Labor Day -- maybe sell striking miners' hard hats? And Memorial Day is about sales of this and that, rather than our war dead.

Hard to tell I'm not big on holidays and related merch sales, eh? So, I "get" the incentive to do the merch thing and, yes, I don't have to buy it. But I can hate on it all day long! Or, as I'm fond of saying, "It may be the way of the world, but that doesn't mean I have to like it." Then I yell at the kids to get off my lawn. (Or the short, stubby weeds that pass for my "lawn.")

Yes, curious that so many wish to be associated with the band by wearing emblems and hurling axes (Jim??), yet so many are not interested in the recordings.

Well, at least I'm perfect!

Pigpen used to love to throw his hand axe...

Edit: ...and I would absolutely buy a ProudFoot t shirt, and wear it proudly.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

sporting’ a Proudfoot Tee and the gloves, while Cassady Juggling the Axe...proper!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Campaign--Empire Burlesque was my first Dylan purchase, too! On cassette! That album gets maligned for the 80s sound, but if one can hear past that, then it's a really great album, no? Infidels, too.

Mr. Ones--PM seems to have stopped working for me, but if you post your e-mail, then I can get you a copy of that Isle of Wight music you seek.

The Race is On! Warner is now doing the Joni releases, too, so we'll see which arrives first: Watching the River Flow, or the Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 2 (with a long-sleeve Blue t-shirt), both of which are supposed to be released on the First. (whoops--never mind! In checking just now, the Joni release has been pushed back to November)

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

That would have made for a badass tee, actually all four of those that year, plus the bonus would have made excellent shirts. Maybe an archival run?

Say that reminds me, need to put on the Bonus disc from DaP 6, currently in The Eleven from the bonus of 10 at Thelma. The Other One from the DaP 6 might be my favorite Other One with no Cryptical elements, and it just rips for 16 min. Killer Smokestack Lightning on there, too.

Just over a week to go, hate that the St Louis Box releases on a Friday, with delivery rates for everything from USPS to UPS being slower and more unpredictable than usual, that portends no weekend enjoyment. Oh well, it shall come at some point and be a delight. Hopefully I won't need a hatchet to open it.

Curiously enough, I also had a yellow t shirt with the Skull and Roses emblem on it in the mid 70s. In fact I've still got it upstairs, pockmarked with holes from sitting round campfires. I bought a few ties dyes in 1990, and a black t shirt with dancing skeletons on it - this was when the band came to Europe. I don't remember much stuuf being sold to tie in with the shows they played here in 1981.

If they do want to keep releasing things to tie in with holidays etc-definitley the shows would the the way forward, I would say. Those Halloween shows Billy the Kid mentioned-I'd swoop on them if they were released.

I like the way they commemorate not playing at Altamont by not releasing anything to tie in with it. It works every year.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

only $39.99

you get an image of my craggy self (full disclosure: I sport a beard. I know bearded images annoy some people.)

sharpen yer hatchets for opening next weex box, y'all!

Now...I mmuusstt get onto my career gig

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Yes to Empire Burlesque! Seeing the Real You at Last -- awesome song, excellent vocal take. Would have been great for Keith Richards to do it with the X-Pensive Winos.

This fall is an incredible season for archive sounds: Dylan '80s box last week, next week is Dead box, then Beatles Let it Be box (I only go for the short expanded sets on Beatles stuff), then Coltrane's A Love Supreme Live in Seattle, and then the DVD and remaster of Springsteen's 79 No Nukes show. HOLY COW.

I highly suggest limiting the production run to say 10k and be purposely vague about international shipping. Also, you could offer ProudFoot razors or Proudfoot Orange tinted Mustache Wax (just in time for Halloween) or something. Sneakers.. tie clips, weed shredders with images of skeletons sporting the signature Proudfoot Beard, anything.. it's gonna sell out. Handguns and riffles would be a fine option as apparently we have a sudden primal urge for medieval weaponry.

This thing is going to get big quick..

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

How can it Be that we’re getting yet another Let It Be? Pretty sure this wouldn’t be happening if John was still around. But Let It Be was Paul’s baby, and it was a disaster, a bad (for the Beatles) album and a depressing film that put the final nail in the Fabs’ coffin. And Paul just can’t Let It Be.

Paul always blamed Phil Spector’s production for the album’s failure, and he tried to “fix” that 20 years ago with “Let It Be … Naked,” a record nobody asked for and one that proved the “Long and Winding Road” is still a sappy song even if you scrub Phil Spector’s strings off of it.

Let’s face it, Paul: it was just a bad idea. The Beatles weren’t getting along, they hadn’t played live in years, and filming the sessions just gave everybody the not very pleasant experience of watching the Beatles argue with each other as they struggled to remember how to sound like a band. Seriously, compare the version of One After 909 they recorded in 1963 (and eventually released on Anthology 1) with the Let It Be version. The 1963 Beatles’ playing is tight and driving, the Let It Be version plods like a bad bar band after too many Buds.

Let It Be was, by Beatle standards, just a bad album. It’s still better than what a lot of groups could do, but the songs and performances are not up to the Beatles high standards, and another reissue isn’t going to fix that. John and George were by then completely sick of working with Paul, they didn’t want to be there, and you can tell. I have no doubt that when the new version of the movie comes out, they’ll edit out all the griping and arguing and give us a new happy revisionist history in which the Beatles were actually having a lovely time fumbling through rock and roll oldies in a freezing warehouse while the cameras rolled. But that won't fix it.

Ah well. Maybe they will supplement the music and the film with Let It Be coffee cups and candles and toe nail clippers. I’d like to thank you on behalf of the group and I hope we passed the audition.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

BUT, why not go with a Proudfoot Crossbow?? Talkin' medieval... Plus the Proudfoot Trebuchet for the Proudfoot Medieval Raffle, just to publicize the more affordable toenail clippers. Toss in a cow for the winner and a free trip to the Vault for testing the cow-throwing power of said trebuchet... Or, for more modern sensibilities, how about a Proudfoot Potato Cannon? These handy devices will hurl a one-pound, raw Yukon Gold at least 150 yards, as proven in my front yard, aiming towards an (uninhabited) middle school across the way. Even got my uncle to fire one off -- he is (was -- RIP Covid got him in January) a former university chancellor and he mistakenly fired off a potato towards a major highway outside Albany, NY, about 20 years ago. We held our breath for the rending metal sounds but all we heard was splintering fiberglass so no worries, no harm done. The igniter is from a gas grill, the fuel is AquaNet. My own cannon developed a hairline fracture in the fuel tank, so I decided one night to fire it off, but not hold it next to my head, but rather alongside my hip. Great blast of smoke and flame and hurtling potato in the night, only to discover that my pants had actually caught fire... Girlfriend on the ground, laughing hysterically while I ran around the yard yelling "My pants are on fire!" Really, a long overdue moment in my life, but yet again, with zero consequences. I never learn anything.

Quote of the week: "Let Let It Be Be"... a wise admonition and solid analysis.

On archival incoming, yes, it's a flood: GD, Dylan, Coltrane, Neil Young, Johnny Cash. Man, that'll keep me busy until there's snow on the ground.

Starting to itch for the new GD box........

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

The Dead played a lot of cool venues in the early eighties, and this was certainly one of them. What a great show, Deep Elum Blues, Ship of Fools, Uncle John's Band, Broke down Palace, what a blast! Ice cold beer and red hot doses.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Article in seattle times about ancient footprints in NM that indicates humans arrived in N America earlier that previously thought

ancient proudfootprints

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

We spent the day at the S.F. Blues Festival listening to Solomon Burke , Charlie Musslewite, Robben Ford and lots of other great music. After the show we drove across the Bay Bridge over to Berkeley to hear Garcia,Lesh,Weir, and Vince play an acoustic set for a benefit concert. They did a great set of music, with the highlight of the show being an acoustic version of Attics of My Life, boy talk about a moment to remember. After the show we hit up Everett & Jones for some great bbq. What a great day!

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

41 years ago today was the start of the Grateful Deads historic run at the Warfield theatre. I went to 3 of the shows. The 3 shows I went to were all really good ones, 10/9 & 10/10 have been partially released. I know that some of the guys on this forum went to all the shows. This run of shows coincided with the Dead's 15 year anniversary, I think it was the coolest thing the Dead did in the modern era. The Dead could have easily have played in some huge arena and sold out every night, but the fact that they chose the tiny Warfield Theatre made it all that more special.

I remember walking in and couldn't believe there was an acoustic set up on stage; first thought was, we'll get one acoustic set and one electric set - wrong. That first show was great, I believe it was the first GD extended Deal. Loved that run, saw 11 of 15....miss these days!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I don't find anything.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

....I cannot.
Google.
However, Billy Strings dropped a new record yesterday. And it's wonderful.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I pulled out the july 78 box and played the Arrowhead 7/1/78 2nd set estimated>TOO. I'm priming myself for the new box. That estimated is some heavy shit man. That reminds me of the cheech and Chong car scene where cheech was tripping hard and told chong he has seen a friend who had taken to much acid and his head looked like a pumpkin, man.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Man, you lucky bastards. Those shows at the Warfield and RCMH. What an unbelievable time to be going to shows. I always felt this run just hooked me for life with the band. Of course I wish we could get the music released, but as Dave mentioned last year, it will never happen. I will say, it appears some fresh Millers have been showing up lately, so at least we can listen to some of the magic.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Bob Weir posted this on FB: Bob was there at the beginning; he even did a stint in the jug band - we used to practice at his (folks’) house in the early days. He was our first roadie - our first employee, though his wages amounted to not much more than a free entry and gas money to get himself and our gear to the gig. I always sought and valued his views on how the music and the band were developing. He went on to become our *recordist* - a word I hadn’t yet heard at that point and really haven’t heard since. In later years he went on to success in a telecommunications field I have yet to understand. The next world that awaits us all will be more efficient and sound better now. Bob Voyage, Vaya con Dios, Bob Matthews.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by marye

Thanks for all your contributions,
May the four winds blow you safely home!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....good stuff.
Heading to the Raiders/Dolphins game now. I've seen the Dolphins live 3 times. I'm 0-3. Hoping to change that.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Bob Matthews, plus THANK YOU.

and thank you to Marye for sharing Bob Weir's Facebook post

Enjoy each and every day, everyone.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Geeez, he was a conduit for Live/Dead and Workingman's, along with our/his beloved Betty. Those are, arguably, the live and studio pinnacles of this band.

A man with BIG EARS who knew which knob to turn and when. That's not as simple (or as sick) as it sounds.

Go gently into the big night, Bob. It'll be Camarena Tequila and a Spaten Munich or two in your honor tonight while I play around in my own little studio.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by marye

I will raise a glass to Bob tonight. A big part of the greatness we all hear today.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Yup, good story. Marye pokes her head out once in a while. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

The heroes of my youth keep on passing on into the great beyond, soon, we will all be there and what a party it will be. There are so many of my brothers and sisters I will meet up with when it's my time to go to the promised land.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by unkle sam

I wouldn't be surprised if I meet up with one or two down where I'm going, too!

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

Those two guys sure had a lot of crazy fun times in their lives, and helped provide a lot of crazy fun times for me and lots of other folks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Hi Mary. Can you pleasee let me know if you received a PM from me a few minutes ago regarding an oder? I received a "not authorized" error when I saved it. Thanks!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

They aren't friggin working very friggin well.. But I figured out how to fix them, I am attaching the Lancelot Linq below.

ww dot pmsarentworkingworthashit dot clob

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I know just the one song, Hot Rod Lincoln.

I will play it loudly today on the way to work.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yes, and I have reported the strange behavior to the tech folks. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by marye

Hey PF, I. Don’t think Vguy likes the Raiders much, he was going to see his Dolphins, as the 72 in VGUY 72 stands partially for the 72 Fish....

And dbl ooopss if your not familiar with the Ole Commander!
Lost in the Ozone, Down to Seeds and Stems Again, and my favorite and our groups theme song BITD: Too Much Fun...all the things I ever done...
I think them doing Momma hated Diesels was perhaps the greatest country song EVER! Seeds and Stems might loosen a tear, but Diesels is like a musical old Yeller!

Yeah, thanks Marye! Nice to see ya!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Counting down the days for LttR. Got the vinyl show for the first time ever. My teenage daughter got me into vinyl and now I'm hooked. My daughter has a portable player with a built in speaker, which of course is a piece so I need one of my own.

I was looking at players with a pre-amp, but don't really want any new wires/speakers. Does anyone have a recommendation about whether to use a wireless record player? It seems like you might lose something if the analog turns the music digital for the speaker, but can't really find anything that confirms that. Anyone else using a wireless record player? Thanks ya'll.....

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Itsyburnsy-it looked funny to me reading that your daughter turned you on to vinyl-made her seem older than you are! I plug my record player in, though, so no help here unfortunately.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

There's a 2-CD set, which I have, and several download files of a handful of rockin' shows rec'd by Bear.

I'd personally recommend supporting each and every Owsley-taped release. Even artists you're not familiar with. They've put out a real variety and every one so far is killer.

RIP, Commander.

If you can, you’ll probably want to steer clear of converting your analog table signal to digital...kinda defeats the purpose. You can find TT with a built in phono stage, though not sure how prevalent?,, but if your existing stereo, receiver?, has a built in phono stage (many older units do) then you can get a less expensive one without the phono stage.
Make sure your phono stage matches your table type MM, or MC...
The Project brand has some fine, “affordable” entry level tables, but there are many out there now...
But a TT needs some kind of phono stage pre amplification, which takes the very low level TT signal, and raises, or amplifies that signal, so it is what’s called line level, which is the signal level that CDs, cassettes, R2Rs etc put out and into a pre-amp or receiver. That unit then amplifies the signal another way to drive the amplifier channels, whether built in like a receiver, AVR, integrated amp, or via separate, stand alone Amps.

EDIT: you can also find inexpensive separate little phono stages if your stereo doesn’t have one and you see a table you really like that doesn’t have a built in one...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html