• 945 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Born Cross Eye…

After listening to this show yet again, about 20 times after release, I find it, especially the 1st set after Shakedown, to be underwhelming. It just doesn't "do it" for me. Shakedown Street is the exception.
    Others may get it, but this one burns out on me. 3 bolts (out of 6)

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

By my unofficial count, not counting the Bonus discs, Dave's by lineup:

J, B, B, Ph, K & D, M = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, K & D = 12.
    J, B, B, Ph, M, Br = 7.
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M, TC = 3.5
    J, B, B, Ph, K, Pig = 2.33
    J, B, B, Ph, K = 1.67
    J, B, B, Ph, Pig, M = 0.5

No core 5. No Vince or Bruce. No Keith/Donna + Pig unless Donna is on that Academy of Music (not credited). Though with Europe '72 already released there isn't much to aim at (Hollywood Bowl + other Academy shows). No Dana Morgan Warlocks nor '73 horns shows.

• Oroborous

I was right and wrong, lol.
    It’s technically a 90s, but really another 80s…
    Let the whining begin ; = )

• onthebussince77

See you over there when the comments open.

• Oroborous

I’d like to see a 91 show to be equatable to others who like more than just 5 years…it’s WAY past time Dave!
    9/26, 4/1 or perhaps 10/31 would be logical choices, 6/22 would work but you have to wonder about some kinda GIANTS deal with video. 6/9 might fit?
    81 would also be a great choice, since there’s so many hot shows there, but I don’t think he’ll go 2 80s in a row again.
    I hear the haters T.P.ed his house, put sugar in his car, and kicked his dog after last year.

80 and 69 are most overdue. I don’t think he’d go 68 unless he uses 3 short shows, which would be nice!

I’d say wild cards could be 70, or 82, but again, I don’t see 2 80s in a row this time.

Something from the 90s is really really overdue!

• Jason Wilder
    Default Avatar

So, this year we've had:
    Dave's: '78, '73, '83
    Skull & Roses 50th + some 7/2/71 bonus.
    LTtR: '71, '72, '73.

It screams for 60's or '90's. I'd be really surprised if we got more early 70's or Brent 80s. Though acoustic '70/'80/'81 would be welcome, though I fear the tapes may not be there.

On that front, we have gotten cassettes with the plangent treatment (Da39), so maybe more shows are now in consideration.

• Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
    (First #) = Year:
    (2nd =)Total Releases from this year/
    (3rd = )How Many Releases since last pick from this year../
    (4th =)Release # of last pick from this year

80: 1 / 31 / #8
    69: 2 / 29 / #10
    81: 1 / 19 / #20
    72: 3 / 15 / #24
    71: 3 / 13 / #26
    76: 3 / 11 / #28
    70: 2 / 9 / #30
    79: 1 / 8 / #31
    77: 5 / 6 / #33
    74: 5 / 5 / #34
    84: 1 / 4 / #35
    87: 1 / 3 / #36
    78: 4 / 2 / #37
    73: 5 / 1 / #38
    83: 2 / - / #39

No Picks from:
    66-68, 75
    82, 85, 86,
    88-95

• hendrixfreak

Jim makes sense about a '69 release, in that -- as daverock states -- this box really hits the sweet spot. I've only listened to 1 and 1/2 of the two '71 shows and they rock flawlessly or the flaws are musical, which reflects the forward energy of the band in performance. But with a huge glow around GD-fandom created by the box, Dave would really cement a lot of excitement for more by topping the box with what (at least Jim and I believe) is a fairly good stash of '69 shows still in the Vault. I don't think '80s. If Soldier Field June '91 is a multi-track, that's probably out for a DaP.

In a sense, a Halloween show would be welcome to explain the merch madness. I say that because if they're going "full merch" and every freakin' major holiday brings forth holiday-related merch, I'd be kinda sad. Yeah, maximize revenue, but everyone involved at the TPTB is doing fine. This was supposed to be about the music.

So, Dave, how 'bout a crisp '69 show to strenthen the faith factor? We'll know soon enough.

• JimInMD

Wouldn't that be sweet. I would say unlikely, but as predictable as Dave is.. he is somewhat hard to predict. I look at Dave's #8 as a risky step out of his comfort zone that turned out spectacular. Perhaps my favorite 1980 show (sorry Radio City and Warfield).

I think this is a complete wildcard. If the past is any indication on what's to come, an off the beaten path decent 80's show. ...but I just don't see this coming in this slot this year. I'm sticking my neck out and predicting 1969. There's still a lot of good sounding tapes from this period that have yet to be released and it just fits. Second guess 1991. As much as we would like to hold out and hope both the audio and video from these shows come out.. I haven't seen much success marketing shows this way. Which yields space to think about the real crown jewel #41, the season opener which will be announced sooner rather than later.

So 1968, I give an enthusiastic hell yes.. what we will actually get is a crapshoot.

• daverock

Alvarhanso - me being a bit facetious. It's just that the box has hit such a peak that it seems impossible for the next release to sound anything more than an add on. I would imagine it will be a show from the later years, which will obviously please a lot of people. Which is good. I would prefer 1968, but as my friend often reminds me.."It's not all about you !"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

We're feelin' Philly 4/26/83 and its '80s highs. See what we're on about when you pick up DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83, the final show of a three-week tour, played at the venue that the Dead played more than Madison Square Garden (there's your daily dose of Dead trivia). This one fires on all cylinders, with extremely well-played, high-energy tight sets featuring newbies "West L.A. Fadeway," "My Brother Esau," rarities like Brent's tune "Maybe You Know," precise medleys "Help>Slip>Franklin's," an inspired new pairing "Throwing Stones>Not Fade Away," and the Dave's Picks debut of "Shakedown Street."  And before you come down, we've got a prime slice of bonus material from the previous Spectrum show 4/25/83 and an extra dollop of '83 from the War Memorial Auditorium, Rochester, NY 4/15/83 (featuring the Bobby rarity "Little Star").

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 39: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA, 4/26/83 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Thanks for the advice
You're right I should
There's so much other great music around that doesn't bore me to death
Last 4 purchases
Roy Harper - Lifemask
Tim Buckley - Live at Carousel (Bear Family)
Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
Various Artists - The Amazing Zigzag Concert Rainbow 1974
....each of which will get repeated listens
I just don't want TPTB thinking everyone likes 80s stuff which is the impression they must get reading the comments section here.
I started exploring African music in the 80s because i didn't enjoy much British or American music being made then and found some absolute gems like Thomas Mapfumo, Franco & TP OK Jazz etc
Once again.......to each their own x

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by docmarty

With 25,000 copies now being released, you can most likely get the ala carte copies you want and not have to subscribe.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Does anyone know how many times CC was played in the 30 years tour? I know at least one in 6/14/76. I'm pretty sure I have never heard it on tour. Tanks.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Just to balance it out. I appreciate all releases with 82-85 being always on the wish list. For me DP39 is perhaps my
favorite release so far. Just unreal Phil and Jerry. To each his own. My one and done back on the shelf
is anything in the 70's. Go figure.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

According to Deadbase 10, it was played 41 times between 10/8/68 and 9/25/76. I would have thought it was played occasionally in 1990, but not according to the good book.

Maybe I should come out of the closet and say that I don't care for 1980s shows now either. Not subscribing has enabled me to side step this latest release, and I got the other two with ease. The St Louis box looks as though it will be amazing - but the gulf between the music the Dead played between 1971- 1973 and between 1980-1989 has now widened to a chasm for me.

What the series really needs, in my opinion, is a shot of adrenalin from the 60s.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by docmarty

Conekid, that’s the best thing I’ve read here in forever!
I’d give up my front seat in hell for some Blu-ray audio releases!...especially say the 89-90 multitrack stuff, hell ANY of the multitrack stuff!!
Speaking of, release more/all, the multitracks! This other stuff is fine, but nothing comes close to the auditory ecstasy of MT, for all years! PERIOD! Still blown away by the 71 stuff!
What the hell y’all waiting for, the people willing to shell out to be Dead?

CONEKID: thanks for those great posts. Very interesting stuff!

MIKE: how’s it goin’ eh!
Check your PM.
Things funky but ok. Got my server back so been fixing metadata etc that got all messed. Lost both drives this time so do to various idiosyncrasies have a lot of work ahead. Good news is all music at least saved due to back up drive!
A must, worth every nickel folks. Thinking I’ll get a double backup...
Been digging some bad ass hi res stuff my music computer guy turned me onto, especially a couple of Bill Evans albums, SWEET! Like buttaaa!

Didn’t see Ornette, but Metheny, Dejohnette, Holland and Hancock? (Cool, out there stuff)at Art Park in 1990. It’s this small chill place along the Niagara River up near where the river meets Lake Ontario. Awesome parting down along the River as you could still hear tunes.

4/28/85 IS a winner fo sho!

RE:GONE, agree, I think they’ve hit the sweet spot. Selling enough up front to justify costs etc, but leaves a few for people on the fence or who missed the original drop. And it’s not just cause it’s 80s, haters, as the last one was similar.
I think the whole selling out to fast thing just fuels aftermarket sharks too.

Maybe You Know: yeah, you could tell they wanted a rocker. You can hear someone say something about “let’s rock” right before they play it on 39. Another good rocking Brent tune that unfortunately didn’t quite have the lyrics to match. It’s a shame he didn’t get with Hunter...my only real qualm with Brentski was his need to wallow in the mire too much. Sure a good angry rock or blues tune can get things going on occasion, but in small doses. Imagine if he’d had some Hunter like material...and/or wasn’t so susceptible to his demons?

Speaking of 39: finally arrived Thursday. Not too bad considering what’s going on with our mail due to I70 closures etc.
was stoked to rip and rock on Friday. First time I heard this show was on a Friday and it fit that FAC energy well.
As I ended up being unexpectedly off, and tge disc just magically showed up, thought the stars (maybe not the little stars ha!) had aligned and was going to have one of those days, instead of one of thhhhhooooossseee days, ahem.

But technically difficulties said otherwise, remember folks, the situation is the boss, so had to wait for Saturday AM.
Initial thoughts after first run through are very positive. Sorry some are so down on it. Yaassss, to each their own.
Interesting some one commented on how they turned into a rock band after KG was out, like it was a bad thing?
I think that’s a good point. A bit of a line in the sand for some...
But this is why I like the 80s so much.
They kicked ASS! no mellow staring at their navels, or standing around tuning for ten minutes every song etc,
although I don’t disagree with the idiosyncrasies found during those years, some more perhaps than others, at the same time their generally in tune, both guitars and vocals, something often NOT the case in the early seventies.
The production/tech is galaxies better, as well as an overall better batting average of all around professionalism.
If only they would of kept Beatty around...and JG was in a better place.
But as some notice, what he may lake in vocal proficiency, he makes up for with his playing.

But I get it, we all have our niches, and some folks have a narrower comfort zone. I’m just in the camp that likes anything good from any year and can get past some of things others can’t. Cie la vie...
So I loved this one. I think it’s one of the best of the 80s, at least from Dave’s Picks. Big reason is the sound, which I found pretty damn fine considering the source and technological limitations there in. Perhaps the vocals are occasionally too out front, but that’s a byproduct of it being a PA mix...
Spring 83 seems to have been doomed via early taper bias BS as Dave alludes to in the liner notes.
I’ve heard em all now and I don’t get it?
Sure there’s imperfections just like there always is, every show, from every year, that’s just part of the Dead being the Dead. But overall I think it’s a fine tour with plenty of highlights and good shows: Hampton, Morgantown, Bingo town, Bits of Jersey, New Haven, and Providence perhaps the top dog overall.
The S.D.is not the GOAT, and JG wobbles a bit at first, but like any good opener besides the quick/rockish stuff, they take their time nicely and let it build. Well, I’ll skip the play by play. Just wanted to add to the other happy campers who are digging this one and hope that with the Plangent steps now available for cassettes, perhaps there’s hope we’ll get some more 80s chestnuts!
But first, RELEASE THE MULTIS !! (on Blu-ray audio!)

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Oro - Sounds like you had computer nightmares flying left and right, but praise Buddha for back up drives. I went through the “CV” you sent me, and pretty pretty impressive! You’ve got a good ear, and lots of tech and practical background to back it up. Anyway, I’m glad all is well under the Western Colorado skies out your way. You will remember from your days living in the Great Lakes Region how the humidity makes it New Orleans North, and it has been brutal this summer. Hey, good show you saw with Holland, DeJohnette, Hancock and Metheny - a lot of Miles “A” Team guys! Be good Amigo, and enjoy Bill Evans!

Daverock- Sorry for the late reply, but I ended up getting that Ginger Baker Trio CD - I could instantly hear that Bill Frisell tone, and for a jazz trio, Baker hits the skins a tad hard, but not a bad sounding trio! Thanks again!

The Song Remains The Same soundtrack sounds pretty awesome on BluRay audio.

The audio on the BluRay video of 6-17-91 from the GS Box sounds pretty good too.
So, more video releases would be a way of getting hi-res audio out.

I built several hard drive RAID mirror systems as backups. Multiple backups is a necessity.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Agree conekid, have those you mention plus others. Bought as much for the audio as the video!
Have a couple albums also.
Not for surround either, though that can be fun, especially with Auro 3D, but for the ridiculous resolution etc.

The one album I’d kill for a Blu-ray audio version is Magical Mystery Tour! And any Dead Multitrack ; )

Bill Frisell. Now it’s official, dude keeps showing up everywhere after being no where for my whole life.
The gods have spoken! Uncle Jeff, here I come...

MIKE: certainly do not miss the weather there!
We get some serious weather here, but never that never ending gray, excessive humidity no matter what season that always makes it colder or muggier than the temp suggests...makes one depressed just thinking about it. Apologies to all the good folks back in Southern Canada that have to endure...especially if YOUR Bills move to gulp, it kills me as a Buffalo fan to even say the word...Texas...ok, I feel sick, gotta go.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Great show, I was there, definitely release worthy. Great China Doll.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I thought the first night at the Frost (4-27) was really good as well. Still my favorite Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

No surprise that I dont like the 80s, I was on the bus already in 67...but I think they turned into a cover band when K and D left! And yeah I know they always did covers...of course I dont wish to detract from the pleasure these releases give to those who like this era, different strokes and all that...so you turned to African music? I turned to Turkish music, pace earlier discussion sprung from Kaleidiscope.

I was at the ZigZag 5th birthday party in 1974 at the Roundhouse and it remains, together with the Dead in 72, and Telvin, the Turkish trio, as one of the 3 three best musical experiances of my life. Help Yourself, the UK Quicksilver, John Stewart and Mike Nesmith...as we left at the end, Beefhearts Zig Zag wanderer played us on our way.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dogon

Worse thing was, post K and D, they often sounded like a cover band when they were playing their own songs.

That Mike - thanks for the nod.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

What is the sound of a rock band?

What are The Rolling Stones going to sound like this upcoming tour?
A cover band?
A rock band?
I haven’t bought a ticket yet, and probably won’t since the scalpers have them all.

You had a huge effect on a lot of people, and a lot of people miss watching you play live.

Even if you did only play in a cover band.
And even though you did choose to play rock n roll.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

A tribute band?
Or as Don van Vliet said: old farts at play?😉

Thing is, I always held the Dead to higher standards than just another rock'n'roll band, for me they were never just another band from SF, they were unique, that is, until they were not anymore.
Discussion is about when their stature stopped growing, and when their shadow merely began lengthening. I also agree with Dave Rocks last comment.
Once again, to be clear, I am not disparaging those who have another opinion.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

The first DaP of each year is likely to be classic GD, late 60s, early 70s, even late 70s. The second selection pretty much the same, as it comes with bonus disc. The third pick will be 80s, 90s -- a low point for SQ, if the cassette master thing-y holds -- then a mystery pick for fourth DaP.

It's the only way TPTB can keep the DaP series going over the long haul. Though there's plenty of well-known choice material in the Vault, if it all got released ASAP, the series would dwindle in .... X FACTOR .... years. (Fill in the blank yourself. I know of, say, at least a dozen or so great unreleased shows. And, clearly, double that for many shows that I'm not familiar with. But we never really know what's actually in the Vault.)

Also, Dave's got to think ahead, say, 5 years, on the box set front. If they settle into the 6-7 show box sweet spot, that's nearly a dozen shows to release each year, with the 50th anniversary series being their outside the pattern release format. (Here's hoping for the Watkins Glen soundcheck with the 50th WotF release and 6-17-75 with Blues for Allah.)

For me it's the whole picture. The new DaP 39 is a hot night, no doubt, I'm enjoying it -- it rocks hard. And early to mid-80s could be sketchy (Jer) and the SQ is so far from a Betty Board as to explode any comparisons, so it's quite a dip for me, soundwise. But the upcoming box is so loaded with sweet spot goodness -- my gawd, Pigpen, fall '72 and late '73 over seven shows? C'mon! -- that I'm in firm, continuous support for Vault releases. We vote with our money. I skip the boxes I'm not keen on.

That said, the only other wholly reliable and voluminous source of killer period tapes is the Owsley Stanley Foundation, which has already hit it out of the park repeatedly and now a Johnny Cash show is on tap. They've skillfully touched on the expected Bay Area psychedelic people, with releases of the NRPS w/Jer on pedal steel and a proto-Hot Tuna set, (add the ABB at FE) but gone admirably wide on Tim Buckley, Ali Akbar Khan, Doc and Merle Watson, et al. So I will buy whatever they put out unless Tiny Tim gets a release.

I can handle a smokin' '83 tape in the big picture, even if I personally would choose differently. Meanwhile, with archival music flooding onto the market (because it should, it's cheap to produce) plus the GD Vault and the OSF, my money is pretty much spoken for. Do not take this as an endorsement for more '80s cassette masters!!

And let's face it: like Hunter Thompson putting together a collection (okay, of drugs) for his Las Vegas escapades, once you get into a serious collection, there's no stopping. That's a good reason why the GD Vault is endlessly fascinating. The season, the year, the venue, the taper, how the band was feeling on that very night, the setlist, the jams. All quite intriguing.

A lengthy post to say very little. Maybe that's my epitaph!

Always appreciate your insights. I just don't think Dave puts that much thought into it. He likes to be unpredictable, which is great. What surprises me is that he has released two shows from 83 before releasing two shows from 79, 80, 81, and zero from 82.
Still working my way through this pick as I just received it this weekend. Love the addition of Plangent to the Dave's Picks series and I hope we see more of that in the future.

Would be interesting to see Dave release a 91 show for #40. How about some Shoreline shows. I am also thinking we will see 10/2/77 released in the near future.

For me, they lost their daemon after 1973. They still had the mystique and power on that tour, but it seemed to have evaporated by the time the following years "It's Only Rock n' Roll" came out. I have seen them many times since then-the last time in 2006, I think, and I've mostly enjoyed them. But there has always an element of parody, for me, in what they have done since 1973.

10-30-77 fits on 2 CD-R’s, so how about packaging that another 2 disc 77 show?

Or are those 2 disc 77 shows all going to be Boxed up together?

And for DaP43, how about summer tour 84 or 85?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Will they still tour without Watts, or postpone until he has fully recovered?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Apparently Esteban 'Steve' Jordan will temporarily take over the drum stool and the tour will go ahead.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Any dead is good dead, not a big fan of this release. If 80's can be released, why not 90's. There is some grate shows 90-92, and a few even after that.

Hendrix is correct, there is a formula to the series. Feb release is always from the short list to get you to subscribe. Then comes another top tier show and bonus disc for May that you can't resist. After that, the August release is always the least desirable release of the year, always. November is usually good not great, just enough to get you thinking about re-upping that sub come December.

GDM most certainly has box ideas for 5-10 years in the future. For example, is 6.10.73 ever going to be a DaP, hell no. That will be part of a box eventually, at least we hope, where is it DAVE? Anyway, some shows are just too good for the series I'm guessing.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Not sure the third release has always been weak. #3, #7, #11, #15, #23, pretty solid shows in my book.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'm easy

6 10 73...please
11 19 72...please
7 13 84...please

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I really like this one. For me the sound is right in-between Dead Set and Without a Net. This is closer to the Jerry guitar tone that I really like, which is late 80's. You can really hear the noise of the picking and fretting which gives it a concrete, 3D sound. That Help Slip Frank's really flies by!!! I'm not a gambling man, but I would put a fiver on this being the shortest one ever played. See you on tour!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I finally got my first uninterrupted listen to this Dave's Picks.

The first set to me has a start and an ending bookmark and the rest to me was uneventful. The Shakedown Street has a nice groove and is played well the Let It Grow, again to me, simply cooks. I rearranged the play order to correspond with the show so the next sequence up was a hot Help on the Way > Slipknot! > Franklins Tower. Something like a half hour of some smokin' Grateful Dead. Jerry's playing, even if you don't care for his style in this period is phenomenal. There's a decent post space Morning New and those are the highlights. The whole show, opening to encore is perhaps not completely solid start to finish, but once they get cooking they hold their own. A really strong LIG through Slipknot! is alone is worth the price of admission. I had to re-listen to this segment two or three times just to figure out where exactly this balls to the wall guitar work bubbled up from. Suddenly he was blazing up and down the fretboard at a ferocious pace. Hard rock perhaps, but hey.. it's Jerry Garcia, isn't that Grateful Dead enough?

This thread seemed pretty positive until recently and even then the era/keyboard centric discussion was quite cordial, almost polite with perhaps one small aberration.. which I really do appreciate. I understand 80's releases are not everyone's cup of tea and really it's all a bit subjective and personal anyway.. after all we like what we like. But I get that there is a large segment that doesn't like post 74 or 75. We should expect to see 80's and 90's shows get released from time to time. I think ConeKid said it best, w/ 25k copies per, you don't need to subscribe if you don't want too.. and we know the release schedule you can get the shows you want so long as you don't go on vacation or have internet outages at just the wrong time.

Worst Dave's Picks ever? Hardly, at least to these aging ears. This is a pretty solid early 80's show, it's high energy and even if the whole show is not light the fuse and run away, overall the peaks seize the day. There are a few others I believe don't seem to quite rise to the occasion but again, it's all subjective. It's an above average recording for the period too, which compared to some of the other early 80's shows released speaks well comparatively.

One last point, I have to politely disagree with the GD sounding like a cover band post hiatus. The Slipknot! in particular is, to me, classic GD and the whole show has a GD tribal boogie to it. I even think when they do covers.. they Grateful Deadize it, thinking of their interpretations of Dylan in particular. They don't sound like Dylan, they sound like G'Dylan. So I respectfully disagree with that analogy.. hope I did so without offending. They do sound more like a hard rock band than they did in say '72, I would agree with that. I would add my soft spot is clearly 68 through 74 but it's all Grateful Dead to me.. if I like the taste I will take a second bite.

In the early 80's they were not the '69 psychedelic powerhouse nor the euphoric '72 nor the jazzy, free flowing 74 nor the practically perfect band of '77. They certainly had a hard rock edge but balanced with delicate ballads, drums space, etc.

You really start to hear this change before Keith and Donna left, starting in mid '78 or so. Jerry, especially, started to rock it more and the vocals became more dramatic too, less delicate. Look at the Garcia Band during this period as well.. Deal took an edge, etc. I just don't see them as being a cover band nor this happening after Keith and Donna left. The Dark Stars became less frequent starting in '74 and songs like Passenger, Werewolves, etc. entered the fold. My point, this was a Jerry lead shift in direction that predates Keith and Donna leaving the band. I think there's an interview in late 78 or early 79 where Jerry quotes Punk and New Wave as recent influences.

That's my take, probably not perfect but I do not see this as a reflection of personnel changes and I don't think they ever sounded like a cover band (although they did some great covers). Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Have a good day all.. hoping against all odds this comes across as intended, no harm no foul.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years

I haven’t heard or seen much mentioned about today
Maybe I’m in the wrong section of the Deadnet site
Why do I remember this day so vividly
I became clean and sober one year earlier in 1994
Where was I in 1995
I was a resident of a Therapeutic community
What is a therapeutic community?
Basically in-patient drug treatment where I was for 27 months
Why was I there?
Heroin addiction……fun stuff
Why do I remember the day
My sister called me at the facility to tell me Jerry had transitioned from “ here to there”
Honestly at that moment it had no real meaning .
I was more concerned with getting my own existence together from the crash and burn life I was living……if you wanna call that living
Anything Grateful Dead was not on the high priority list
The last time I remember anything Grateful Dead was selling a ticket at the Giants stadium ( year????) because “need that cash to feed that jones”
Sorry to say
Some folks make it
And some folks don’t
How have managed 27 years later?
Considering I’ve had my Black Peter moments over the last 10 months.
Speaking of Black Peter
I know this has been discussed on other forums
But what does line 3
“Annie Bonneau from St. Angel “ come from or it’s meaning
Did Jerry or Robert Hunter ever explain what it means
Anyway August 9 , 1994 still remains an important day in the span of 27 years of one day at a time
And August 9, 1995 is just one of those
Some folks “get it”
And others “just don’t “

The Rolling Stones
No Charlie Watts
Yeah I’m going to see them
I’m 66
There getting close to 80
Saw em in 72
And other years
I figure “this may be the last time”
I’m surprised they don’t do residency in Vegas or Atlantic City
That being said I’m going to see em in Atlanta
Gotta go one more time
Unless of course
The Covid rears it ugly head again
Hopefully not

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by darobace

Every year during the day's between or more aptly 8/9 I watch the YouTube of So Many Roads performed on their last show at Soldiers Field. Such a beautiful song and such a sad moment.. it's bittersweet to me. It sometimes brings tears to my eyes.

I cannot compare or imagine what you went through during those 27 months, or the years before that brought you to that first day. Good for you for turning the corner, somehow, someway. Thank god I stayed away from that stuff and the other two of the big three. We all have our demons I guess, but sometimes they get the better of us. A close family member of mine chose his own China Doll moment a couple weeks ago and Saturday we will gather and try to make sense out of that, an impossible task. A victim of covid fallout perhaps.

I consider myself very fortunate. Never could reach it, just slips away but I try...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I think we're so overdue for some 1969. They could pack up a pair of shows with some good set list variety on another one of those 4 disc releases. Is Thelma the last '69 release? That's insane.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I'd love something in the 68 through 70 range. We are due...

Dammit Dave, give us some Primal Dead already.. or we will be forced to storm the vault!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by darobace

I first saw the Stones in 1973, and I can remember reading an article in a music paper at the time, which pointed out that Jagger was now 30, and maybe too old for all this. Although they weren't much younger, the heavy/glam rock brigade had moved in with updated outrageous behaviour. They were still being touted as possibly the best rock n' roll band in the world...but also maybe a bit of a museum piece.
The next time I saw them was at Knebworth in 1976 - the worst show I ever saw by them, although my perception was affected by me having the strongest acid trip of my entire life. But anyway - we all thought that would have been it for The Stones. They looked and sounded like a spent force. When punk kicked in later that year, the writing was well and truly on the wall.
So, I don't know about this being the last tour. I think as long as Mick Jagger is alive there will always be the possibility of another show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Has anyone found where to order the Johnny Cash stuff? I see the cd and vinyl on sale at amazon, but the stanley/merch mountain site say a "deluxe" set is available but I don't see how to order?

Anyone?

UPDATE - I think I got it. Did a wild search and it pointed me towards amazon having the two lp limited copy,,,, didn't show up on normal amazon page,,,, was a different page. The Stanley site shows no way to order?!?!

Was also odd the "limited" vinyl will not be issued until December, but cd coming end of October?

I think I have all ordered,,, confidence high on the cd front, little lower on the vinyl :-)

Tried to edit last message, but system wouldn't do it.

I found a amazon page that listed the vinyl copy (limited). Had to do a search for limited vinyl and the amazon came up. I think I have cd and vinyl ordered from . Cd coming out end of October,,,, looks like vinyl not until December?

Could not find how to order from Stanley

The UK Amazon site list two versions of the forthcoming Sonic Journal vinyl. One is described as a box set but they are both listed as 2 disc versions with the same number of tracks. There is no indication of any difference apart from the box set version costing around £30 more than the other one. They appear to be coming out in December unlike the cd which is due in September. Perhaps more info will appear soon

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

And Dennis, YES, I draw the line at Tiny Tim. I don't mind seeing the Owsley folks putting out that 12-LP vinyl set, I'm just not buying it....

So we can agree, DP 40 is a total crap shoot!

Meanwhile, the GD a cover band after the hiatus? That's the goofiest thing I've heard lately in this digital swamp. From '76 (a totally new band) to perhaps 80-81 the GD rocked the country without mercy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I've been trying to order the Cash OSF set for awhile now and since the announcement its been crickets about the actual product on both Owsley and Cash's sites. No pre-order that I've been able to find. The pre-order button to his merch but there's no listing for the Cash release. Did see the Amazon business got the deluxe pre-order as its no charge from them and can be canceled. When OSF gets it together I'll gladly and preferably buy from them again.

user picture

Member for

11 years

Geez I go away for a week and there's over 250 new responses to DaP39. Will take some time to catch up, did check a few. I managed one listen to 39 before I left for a place way down east in Maine. Washington County is poor, almost 20% of residents below the Fed poverty line, median household income a little over $30K. Not crowded at all. Its not about money, right? Stayed at a place with no television, no internet, just a good college radio station on a radio smaller than a loaf of bread, WMEB. We hiked, we foraged for blueberries and chanterelles, we watched bald eagles and osprey, we ate, drank and etc well. Oysters, mussels, various very fresh fish.
Tonight I will revisit, listen to 39 with fresh ears. Flabbergasted how good the audio sounded a week ago, coming from a cassette master. There's just not much for oxide particles on that skinny little bit of tape running at super slow speed. And the playing, very very fine, me happy with this 83 Dead. Came back through central Maine, Augusta and Lewiston, Sebago. Fond memories, ten years there in the 70s, concerts included Rolling Thunder Review, Muddy Waters, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa among many others. Now their laws have changed, must have passed 7-8 dispensaries along the way. We are all blessed to be here to enjoy what we can share and care, do not miss your chances to savor the people and music you love. And DO NOT forget the best meteor shower of the year is on display! Get thee to a place with a dark sky, roll out a blanket, lay back and enjoy the celestial show of the Perseids.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Just thought I'd say greetings to everyone on 8/9. Can be a tough day.

In terms of the Dave's "pattern" it has really only happened the last 3 years or so. Not much 80s before that. Lot if the early #3s are smokin.

Bigger mystery for me is what the next chat from Dave is about? Video box of some kind? I can dream of Meet Up/Alpine '89 box, right? Kind of in the All The Years Combine mold.

Of the 9 meetups, 4 had already been released on video (GD Movie, SSDD, 7/7/89 on CW&I, and the Giants 91 show). Plus the RFK 89 on CD. Go all three Alpines, 7/2/89, RFK, and Beat Club on Video. 7/17 being the anchor.

Pleeeeease, Dave.

Keithfan, you speak the truth.

Storm the vault?

"Do you hear the Deadheads sing?
Singing the song of angry Heads?
It is the music of a fanbase
That wants '69 again!"

Forward!!! (BYO torches and pitchforks)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

That happened long before K&D left, and was true before they got there.

I mean, they started as a cover band. 2 originals on the first album, and that us Cream Puff & Golden Road. The heavy stuff from 68 is rock to me. As is 71.

The jazzy stuff from late 71-74 is the exception. Two main factors. First is having a better keyboard/piano player. Pig is pretty basic. The second is having only 1 drummer. Unless you really slow it down (76) the drums tend to overwhelm the keys/piano, and that lasted 1 year after Mickey came back. The band realized this & tried to get Keith to switch to keys.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-39.html