• 1,201 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

• dmcvt

Don't know what the ticket prices started at for Phish at the Sphere, $1200 is scalper territory. As I understand it (never been to one) Phish used to go to some effort to control ticket prices. Not their fault scalpers in Vegas got crazy. They donated their efforts last summer at SPAC for two concerts for flood relief in VT and NY. Balk at anything past three digits, the last, a few nights ago in a 90 seat club, Tony Trischka quartet, $20, music was outstanding. Trischka has an album coming out in tribute to Earl Scruggs, guests include Billy Strings, Molly Tuttle, Sam Bush.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

We're up and running. No notice on this one. Hope it sells out.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Glasses again! If you're gonna do the glasses, you should offer a package of all four. Sign up early save some coin and not have to worry about ordering again!

But time for something new, versus 50 dollar shot glasses,,,, sorry tasters!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Cleaner than the copy I have,,, which doesn't suck.

My copy is hotter(?). This is more controlled.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I wasn't all that stoked for this until I listened to Dave's chat. His passion is infectious. Bring it on!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Fresh ice!

Dennis - Thanks for the heads up on the new Owsley release. This one definitely looks like a keeper.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Another year of shows from New York and California. What a surprise.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Looking forward to this one. This is what this series is all about. Tapping into some under-represented shows that fill in the collection and span the entire arc of the band's output. I love the mid-70s as much as the next guy, but as someone who's subscribed to Dave's picks since season 2, its way more exciting to get some '85 stuff than another May 77 show. As good as those shows are, I have a good handle on what they were up to in 77.

Another seam to mine is January 79. As far as I know nothing's been released from this tour. I'll be around for Dave's #100 if they keep on Truckin.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Got a day off because of the weather on the south shore of Lake Erie. And then the notice comes. Can’t get much better! I’ll echo 1STSHOW70878‘s comment. I was ho-hum on this, and Dave got me pumped up.

Byrd,
If NY and California are their most inspired shows because of roots then I say keep bringing them!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

PLAY DEAD
PLAY DEAD LOUD
LET'S DO THIS

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Anyway, The Frost from April 27 and 28 was the shows I almost experienced when they happened. Almost being only eighteen days later here at my home in Växjö, Sweden through good sounding audience tapes!

I had a tape traders ad in issue #5 of fanzine The Golden Road and one of those who answered was a Dead Head in Watsonville, California. He made those tapes at Frost and rushed copies to Sweden for med to enjoy. Eighteen days almost 39 years ago was fast at the time with recording, maybe som editing and making copies.

And now as a subscriber I will soon revisit those shows through the soundboard into mastered CD's.

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So awesome to see this year finally get represented. I've subscribed since the very beginning from the last year of the Road Trips series, where they were first offered.

There were great shows all throughout the year of 1985. Lots of breakouts and experimentation in the setlist and inspired performances that made 1985 unique.

My first show attended was in 1984 at Pine Knob, which was actually a really good show during a stretch of good shows. Didn't see them in 85. 86 and 87 I attended Alpine Valley for the full runs and was hooked from there on out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Love these 85 shows especially N1. Although it's a shame they had to split that eyes and going down the road. I guess you had to make the cut somewhere. But that's a banger opener of a second set if I ever saw one. Had they ever otherwise done a scarlet begonias into eyes of the world???

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hockey fans take note of his p ost under F ree S tuff in recents. Keep getting haynowed tring to tell others of his generous offer.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Personally, that was the best seaside, er, office side chat, evverr! Personally speaking…
Now I’m not narcissistic enough to think he actually reads my spew lol, but damn if he didn’t check a ton of boxes off my Hmmmm???? list.
Never felt compelled to reach out, but might have to track em down and say thanks etc.
I wouldn’t call these shows, best of year, but they are fine shows, worts and all, and he discusses future consideration of some of my favs, which is reassuring!
Hell yeah, sign me up for DaP 100! (Hopefully I’ll still be kicking ; )

Only downside of this release for me will be the nasty shit we’ll have to endure, sigh…

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just the other day some of us including Blair and Regan were on a panel talking about those Golden Road days. A student had brought his dad's mint copy of Golden Road #1 and wanted us all to sign it. Those were the days, although these days have a lot to be said for them as well.
user picture

Member for

6 months 3 weeks

ya'll on that ZOOM call with Dave lol! apparently lots of "goose bumps" during his discussion of all those wonderful '85 shows, rock on my brothers and sisters!
Peace All!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Supposedly the only time they ever did it.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Bring it on!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dave's mention of these in the Office Chat has me hoping for an 85 box.

I recall having the 2nd set of 4/27/85 in my collection and listened to that tape often. The Scarlet > Eye's > GDTRFB > Women Smarter and six song post drumz run of songs are quite good. Haven't collected or listened to the 2nd show so that'll be an extra treat.

The Red Rocks and Greek shows are legendary in their own right.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Back then we had only heard of these California shows thru the deadvine, and lots of talk about the "old" tunes that they had been pulling out for the 20th anniversary. The boys had not been down south since 82 and we all knew we were due a show and sure enough, in the fall we were rewarded with a great show in Tampa. I have a good sdb of the 28th but have not heard the 27th so once again, Dave somehow pulls out a show I have not heard and do not collect/hoard so am looking forward to revisiting those days. Always like their take on Gimme Some Lovin' and their is plenty of Jerry, he's all over these

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Oh no this is the highlight of the show for me and they put the disc break there! I would much rather have Around>Sat Night, Day Job out of order and at the end of disc 1 to preserve the Scarlet>Eyes>GDTRFB. That move into GDTRFB is the highlight of the run for me! Goodness gracious me .....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 5 months

Dag so disappointed to see them separate the Scarlet>Eyes from the >GDTRFB. Checking the soundboards on Relisten, sounds like maybe Healy tried to stick the beginning of the 2nd set on the first tape? In any event... This is a situation where it would be really nice to get access to a digital download. Would also appreciate a little bit more technical info and perhaps more transparency from Dave. Brings to mind the 80 Trips box which is littered with patches, some audience, that go unacknowledged anywhere. #geekswanttoknow

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

I feel similarly. May '77 has its many virtues, but back in the day I really loved the '85 section of my collection, and I've been outspoken about hoping that Dave would shine a little light on this year. I'm really quite excited for this release.

And you mentioned early '79... I seem to recall Dick Latvala saying that the vault's holdings for '79-'82 were not in a good way... I wonder if this is why there is such a dearth for much of '79, and when Dave HAS dipped in, it's been two shows from one single week in December (w/ filler from a third night.)

Still, it's one of the treats of this series... having the archivist curating these releases... the surprise and near-constant delight of "what's next?" never gets old

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Tasty

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I was there at both shows too with my friend Kevin! But I agree with CeeDee, it's a shame that the Scarlet>Eyes>GDTRFB had to be split with a CD break. That sequence (for me) was the highlight of the WHOLE weekend!
Which by the way, were daytime (2pm) shows with full sun both days!
Also, seldom mentioned, but these were benefit shows that came about because of the 'deal' Garcia made with the court for 'punishment' for his Jan '85 drug bust in Golden Gate Park. If I recall correctly, Jerry's court appearance (sometime in Feb or March?) was packed with heads, several of them 'volunteering' to step in for Jerry and do 'his time' for him, instead of Jerry doing his own time. I think the judge was taken aback by that and let him off easy by requiring some benefit shows to help a San Francisco charity and a promise to seek rehab. Anyways, ... the 1st set Bertha, with Jerry's line of "Throw me in the jailhouse" got him smiling wide and the whole crowd whooping it up - 'cause we all knew what that meant LoL!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Tastier

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I wasn't in attendance

Starting senior year of high school in LA

First show still 10 months away

9 12 is overall more "complete" to me. No gripes about 9 11, just....9 12 has so much great stuff.

Picky Deadheads, all

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Said Officially licensed, from a company called Ripple Junction. Was 14.99, so I got it. Pic is the one in the avatar. Thought the image was from a Dave's Pick, and indeed it was, numero 6, to be precise. This is not noted anywhere. Always liked that year's art. Just thought I'd mention that.

The Listening Party sounds good. Only listened up to half of Esau, and didn't have good speakers to see if any bass on the PA mix. Also, that means I haven't heard Jerry's voice yet. Have heard some AUDs, and didn't like. His guitar work is great thus far. The PA mixes have strong vocals from Bob. Gonna have to re-check and pray no Red Rooster. Bob's caterwauling may be worse than Jerry's hoarseness.

Praises to Dave and co for those two Picks featuring two Dark Stars, DaP 6 12-2-70 and 12-20-69 and 43 11-269 and 12-26-69. Wonderful stuff. Digging on 11-2-69, great Dancing in the Street Jam (the Dancing earlier featured a Dark Star jam, so nice symmetry) then a glorious Soul Strut. Great St Stephen and Eleven and delicious melt into one of the best Death Don't Have No Mercys I know.

Also, also, the sound on DaP 42 and DaP 46 is louder and better than a lot of them have been lately. Don't know if that's better source tapes, but I've noticed they're conspicuously louder.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

these shows were my 2nd & 3rd ultra crispy snbd shows I collected !… I had plenty of older (pre-‘81 …as that’s when the bus came by for me ;-) snbd tapes , but someone who claimed he had 1st gens hooked me up (btw, Hartford ‘82 was the 1st for me .. superior quality circulated) … what made these somewhat unique was how the drums and high end was pronounced .. and the lack of hiss …played the shit out of them .. soon after, many crisp boards started to come my way … I imagine it was similar for others …

so GDP always cleans the results even finer, and that’s enough motivation for me to snap ‘em up !

It was noted last year that I got one Pick - as a non subscriber - a few weeks before a subscriber did. That's here in England. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether you subscribe or not as to what service you get. Should it?

This is a CD series, with a few releases eventually being released on vinyl.

Yes Daverock, subscribers get extra benefits, that being the bonus disc and reduced pricing relative to ala carte.
Subscribers should also receive their copy by release day as another benefit of their willingness to support the series through subscribing.

This series has always been a CD series and subscribers have always received a bonus disc. It’s been that way from the beginning, and it’s been clear from the beginning that that is how the series works.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 months 4 weeks

Looking very much forward to the new OSF - set.. that disc with Garcia/Weir.. oh boy.. BW from cold Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

9/11/81 was life-changing for me. So life-changing I was kinda sidelined for 9/12, which is on a lot of people's best-of lists. But I was back for 9/13, first of many Sunday afternoons at the Greek.
user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

If I could go back and see one show out of all the shows I went to, 9/11/81 would be that show.

I subscribed up until 2020- the first 36, so I know all about the gimmicks. I never felt I should get my copy before someone who didn't subscribe during those years. I couldn't have given a hoot.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html