• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Jerry's voice is paper thin

Great performance nonetheless

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Donna was absent.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Backstage drama most likely

Being in a band must be great, as well as hellish

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Since someone mentioned downloads vs cds/vinyl, I got thinkin'.
I still enjoy the cd releases, and the nice packaging, though I convert them to digital like many of us. People seem to want both. So how about a Hybrid release model? A CD release could have a different added online download release, any show, or timeframe, partial reel, etc. . The cost of remastered downloads may even be built into the overall price of the physical media/subscription. I'd pay a bit more to get a bit more.

Vinyl is nice too, but the digital formats make probably make more sense in the future, even if I'd prefer otherwise. Maybe it's all inevitable. But either way, whatever format, I will keep enjoying those new releases. I just hope a solar flare doesn't wipe out my digital music collection. That would be quite tragic.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Western New Yorkers must wonder what they did to anger the Sporting gods!
Cut off a bus load of nuns? Chase leprechauns off their lawn?
Any good doctor would recommend “Truckin’ Up To Buffalo July 4, 1989” to cool that pain.
If symptoms persist, they recommend the DVD.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

Beat themselves Bills did it again, ugh
I’m telling ya it’s the water lol

I was ready to post something clever about how Josh Allen is like the 85 Dead
Often surprising, always exciting, dangerous, usually all out going for it, for good or for Ill, with often spectacular results, but sometimes wrecks
Unfortunately it didn’t shake out that way

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

u
t

w
I
t
h

t
h
e

d
e
a
d

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

o
u

a
l
w
a
y
s

w
I
n

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, no fixey, no posts, harumph

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....I'm sure Scott Norwood was watching and his PTSD kicked in.
Get it? Kicked.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Too soon lol

But hey, just like Scott, never should have come down to that…

But what the hey, Go AVs lol

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Clever posting Oro! Amazed it let you post because this is so hit and miss.
Poor guys like Scott Norwood or Bill Buckner could never live down their moment of infamy.
Maybe you’re right - something stronger for the folks in Buffalo and WNY. Suggestions?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I wonder if they'll release much from this year later on, it being an anniversary an all. It would be good if they did. Buggers can't be choosers, though. I mean beggars.

By limiting the issues to cd, they're limiting their audience. When the series started, 12 or so years ago, everyone had cd players. Now, a lot of us don't. Not in my laptop, not in my car. And without a cd drive, I can't even upload the cds. So, I'd like to see digital release of the series. You'd think Lemieux and Rhino would be more forward looking. The series has already been lagging in sales, and those that do sell out, take weeks, not the minutes that it used to.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by marye

Reading marye's remembrance of high times at the Greek reminded me -- it was great to come across your name in Jesse Jarnow's "Heads". Just a great reminder of how this community got on board the electric bus with the Well (I tried to post what W E L L stands for, but I got hey now'd. Unbelievable.)

I got my first internet account in the Fall of 1989 and promptly found myself spending an increasing amount of time over at rec.music.gdead, but The W ell seemed like this mythical place just over the horizon. Now that this is all going back decades, it sure is fun reading folks remembrances. Keep 'em coming, y'all...

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by L. Mo.

Dave's Picks was announced as a subscription model cd release. It has been more successful than the Download Series and the Road Trips Series. The last year's lack of sell outs is an aberration. I think part of the lack of sell out on 46 is they have it priced 10 bucks higher for some reason. It's priced like the 4cd releases, but it's just 3cds. Who knows what the sales numbers are on the box set downloads, but I don't think they themselves know what the sweet spot number is. HCS was the fastest box set sellout since Giants Stadium, and Get Shown the Light before that. Get Shown the Light has run through its "unlimited" All Music Edition as well. I'd be shocked if the download sales of that box come anywhere close to the immediate sell out of the original box, then an All Music Edition that apparently kept selling for 6 years. And that the Giants Stadium boxes sold out in weeks, and Listen to the River is still on sale goes to show you can't ever tell. If they want to start a download series, more power to them, keep Dave's a physical product.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by alvarhanso

For a nod to the Lions, listened to part of Oct 24, 1971, from the Easttown Theater, Detroit a few minutes ago. Great energy, early Keith show, Phil crunches it, a 71 DarkStar. Maybe since we can access and download anything on the archive, they would have to really clean up stuff to market it as download to us, since Charlie Miller, Sir Nick and others have done such nice work so far. Yet another reason I'll bang the drum for more primal stuff, from the vault, that has not been posted to archive.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

New Dead Head TV now up on dreamswedreamed dot com:

Close to the Edge with Spencer Dryden - 1989

Spencer Dryden was drummer for the San Francisco rock band, Jefferson Airplane. In February 1971 Dryden replaced Mickey Hart in the country rock band The New Riders of the Purple Sage. In 1982, he formed supergroup the Dinosaurs with fellow Bay Area musicians Peter Albin of Big Brother, John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, Robert Hunter of the Grateful Dead, and Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996 with his Airplane band mates, inducted by Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I like the CDs (See deez nuts! Haha!). My laptop doesn’t have an optical drive, so I bought an external one. I rip them to digital, and listen that way. Probably sounds dumb to some. Oh well…

user picture

Member for

10 months

If you’re into CDs and DVDs, think about getting another player now. Based on my recent experiences, though I scored an economical player at a local hardware store of all places, in the future if you can get one at all it might only be at “pro audio” prices.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

Can’t post a simple comment about sports yesterday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

It wouldn’t have mattered if he made the kick. Kansas City would’ve had almost 2 minutes to drive down the field and score again. Anyone who really watched the game would know this to be most likely………

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Apparently mentioning the
R
E
D

W
I
N
G
S

is not allowed here

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

If it’s any consolation, Tampa Bay lost twice in Detroit yesterday.
Lions beat Bucs
R e d W i n g s beat Lightning

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Rhino isn’t competent enough to run a download service.
Box sets have a download option, go read the comments on those boards.
The files are defective, the shows are incomplete, the lynx don’t work.

....then yes. KC would have had to respond. Point is. They didn't have to.
For the record, I don't like either team, so I had no skin in the game.
Go Lions.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

rmarley1 - I do the same. External CD/DVD drives are inexpensive, and plug n play (no setup). I convert all my Dead CD's to digital so I can play them in the car. My car doesn't have a CD player. Streaming services (at least the one I use) do not have Dave's Picks or the box sets.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Always wondered about that album title. Like, as opposed to what? Metaphysical Graffiti? Duuuuude.

Anyway. Here's a thought about physical format vs digital files: why not release ALL limited edition archival releases, all DaPs and box sets, as digital files AFTER the physical copies sell out?

I can understand the idea that Rhino might need to sell out the physical copies of the limited editions (or come close to that) in order to keep the series going. I can understand thinking that selling digital files might undercut sales of the physical copies. But why not make 'em available as downloads after the physical copies sell out?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Like some Blu-ray’s: you get the Blu-ray, a dvd AND a digital DL…

But as Conekind mentions, they can’t get anything to reliably work, not even this site…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'll put in a vote with Oro for a Spring 1978 box. The April 19 Columbus snippet on this week's Tapers has the swagger.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

And their all prime Beatty’s!
What’s not too like ; )

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I was at this show. I took some great 8 X 10 black and white photos of the show as I was involved in my college newspaper. Still have them. Inaugural Werewolves.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

Think the box was well mined already in the Dave's Series, and Dave has alluded to that, saying William and Mary 4-15 DaP 37 with 4-18 filler, Nashville 4-22 DaP 15, and Normal 4-24 DaP 7 were all candidates for April '78 box, or even mini-box of Nashville, Lexington, and Normal. If they release any more if this tour, I hope it's 4-12, even if it is at the Devil's Den. I think Dave also hinted more of Pittsburgh 4-18 could come out as filler, I think.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Sounds good to me, however, how about some post Egypt 78? Not much released from that time period yet with a few exceptions.

Hey Now chopped off the rest of my post.

user picture

Member for

7 months

Good Morning! Your Grateful Dead Store Order has Shipped, Dave's Picks Vol. 49. would make for a FUN weekend listening session, fingers-crossed!

Have a great day:)

uncle_tripel

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 3 months

They probably should get better at digital. I expect them to eventually open it all up to digital downloads, it would probably be easy money after they get it set up. For me, I like the CDs and Vinyl. I'm a real dinosaur, not only do I have numerous devices to play CDs, I even have several devices that support HDCD. Why they still do HDCD is beyond me. I've never been able to tell the difference.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

received, first time I have ever received a shipping notification, hope that doesn't mean anything like "missing" in transit or delivered to the void. Looking forward to this for the cherry listen to 4-27

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

I haven’t heard the 8, 19, or 21 yet, so guessing something in there, but if the 11, 10, 16, and at least the 12 aren’t box worthy, I don’t know what is? The 14 perhaps too. 6 and 7 good but perhaps not quite on par with these…

Stop reading bs on the internet and listen to the music play!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I bet they do an 89 box

People get total wood over the Alpine shows...I bet that's the new box.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Sad to hear Melanie passed away yesterday.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

I just so happened to be listening to Melanie's performance at Woodstock, on 08/15/1969 on the big "Woodstock - Back To The Garden: The Definitive 50th Anniversary Archive" box set early in the morning before I heard the news.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

Test

Getting Hey Now’d in the PM zone.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html