• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Sorry, but I’m not being allowed to respond to your PM.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

We don’t apologize for the inconvenience and thank you unkindly for understanding that we will continue to make this as hard as possible.
The fact is, we don’t really want you Dead Heads here messing up our space.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

What a stupid site.

In that case, here’s the whole thing:

Hey, No!
Due to increasingly stupid and/or incompetent actions on our part, and the desire to keep you from posting benign comments, we are no longer allow-ing words and commentary on our forums.
We don’t apologize for the inconvenience and thank you unkindly for understanding that we will continue to make this as hard as possible.
The fact is, we don’t really want you Dead Heads here messing up our space.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

If you want to honor her memory, I can think of no better way than a trio of clips from the Kids in the Hall's Amazon season. Look for Doomsday DJ wherever videos are housed. It was the sketch that won that whole season for me. Dave Foley is gold, and you will never heard Brand New Key in the same way ever again.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Doesn't that go against the message I've been receiving from the music all these years?
We shouldn't let some "Hey Now's" ruin our good time.
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by TN John

....because, to be honest, I had no idea who you people were talking about.
Now I remember.
32 albums. Damn.
Deep into the Lakeland Florida '80 offering from TTATS.
The gift that keeps on giving.
Drumz is incredible!
Edit. That went through without a hitch.
And Space is killer here as well!
And loud.
My loves bigger than a Cadillac!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 1 week

Small; Red Rocks 1982. Bigger; A Greek box (in the style of the first "Spring 90" - a show from each year). Big; Complete New Years Eve 1979-91.. A man can dream, cant he.. ?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Sorry to hear Melanie passed away. A powerful voice, I had a crush on her back in the day. That song - “Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)” - she did with the gospel group still gets me, as dated as it is.
On more contemporary topics, is everyone getting shipping notices yet, at least the subscribers? I’m al a carte, but an average of six phucing weeks from mailing to delivery, let’s get this edition OUT.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Listening to preview of # 49 on sirius radio. Some stunning guitar work from Garcia on Tom Thumb Blues!!

Bring on #49

Rock on, gang!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I saw her at a festival in England in the early 70's. I can't remember what or where - that's how it was in those days. Her performance was great with a really powerful rendition of Ruby Tuesday. Great stuff. She looked really cute too.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

OK folks, I am officially done here. I tried to post a completely benign and unoffensive paragraph about Melanie and A bucket list game for me on Sunday.

I'm DUCKING DONE wasting my time. Have a good life y'all. Eff this ess.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Can’t anything be done to fix this site, or more accurately, will anything be done to fix this site? Lots of loyal Heads getting rightly peeved off. The Dead are more than just another band, and you’d be hard pressed to find better fans, and good people. Cut the cap-t-cha would be a start, it’s on steroids.

I was sorry to read about Melanie too. I only heard her singles - "Brand New Key" and "Look What They've Done To My Song". Also her cover of "Ruby Tuesday". Mott The Hoople covered "Lay Down" on their album "Wildlife". What a beautiful face she had.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

spring is heating up in them thar mountains, Mr. Bob Dylan brings his band to town in March for 2 nites and in April, Live Dead and Brothers will grace the stage. Hell of a line up Les Dudek, Tom Constanten, Mark Karan, Duane Berry Oakley, Scott Guberman and Pete Lavezzoli playing The Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead from 69 to 73. It's not the real thing, but it's close enough to pretend...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Ship notice today. On paper only. Number not even active yet so it's just for show. Rhino saying, "See, we did something by release date."
Cheers and good luck all in the shipping crapshoot.

user picture

Member for

8 years

….Daves Picks #31 was a 79’ performance & the cover artwork was a dragon. The Chinese New Year 2024 will fall on Saturday, February 10th, 2024, starting the year of the Dragon. I’m hoping the next Boxset is “chasing the dragon” of 1979 Grateful Dead’s magic!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Excellent. At this point, I’ll even take a “just for show” notice. The preview on Sirius today of 49 whetted my appetite.
PS - Is Nate MacKinnon not MVP material, or what!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hat trick + one.
Bra and thong thrown on the ice.
Guess they don't need them?
Cheers

Edit: Maybe it's "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK"

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....let's see what he's got.
Looks like a mini-tour. Vegas, SLC & Boise in three consecutive nights.
My first concert in over three months.
I need my fix.

Vguy is meeting with KW to obtain some real estate, namely a parking spot in the Sphere parking lot so that in the future, after he pays $1k for a concert ticket, he doesn’t have to pay another $1k to park.
Planning ahead…..

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

If I ever come to Vegas for a Sphere concert, I might need to rent your parking spot.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....utmost respect to Keller. One man band and looping master. Very impressive. Even pulled out a Scarlet Begonias, Deep Elem, Life's Been Good To Me So Far, Another Brick In The Wall and Phish's The Wedge.
I'll be seeing him again if he comes back around. He also breaks out a cool mutron tone.
Very small crowd. Maybe 1000 people. That's OK though. Those 1000 people were getting down!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

He makes all look so easy!
But hey, them Leaf’s hanging in there so far!
And Bu faf is at least watchable this year if not quite there?
But hey it’s only January so…

Mike and AJS would be proud how much “best game in the land” if been watching this year. Secret is tunes…

Hey Amigo. I think Jack got pissed off at trying to post here, which I totally get.
Tunes during games are often a must. The worse my teams play, the louder it gets!
Big Nate is my vote for MVP so far. The great ones always make it look so easy. He’d look right at home in a blue & white jersey…!
Be well!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

As the subject line says. Just got home and got the confirmation email (lol can't seem to post the time it was sent or I get hey now'd)
(update: it's the colon that gets me hey now'd)
(update: no it's not, it's trying to put a number then a colon then a number.)
(yep that's it. Even something like six colon six triggers the hey now)
But I suppose I can say that the email was sent out at 1630 hours

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

Good name for a band. NOT.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine why this 'upgrade' is so hard to undo. Unless, of course, it was outsourced and the specs were agreed upon in advance meaning to undo it means you have to open up another contract and get budget money💵. Then again, when you type money you get an emoji 💵 popping up, so clearly this is an upgrade even if you cannot type about the weather or time or say, the music of the best band in the land.

Ridiculous I say, everyone is frustrated beyond belief.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In typical Dead fashion, I see a package coming from Gnarleywood in my USPS account. But I have not received a shipping notice. Oh well. I think
I’ve had all combinations of: Notice, No notice, Tracking with updates… One time it just showed up outta the blue. If history repeats, should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Got Hey Now’ed, and then it posted twice. Oof…
In typical Dead fashion, I see a package coming from Gnarleywood in my USPS account. But I have not received a shipping notice. Oh well. I think
I’ve had all combinations of: Notice, No notice, Tracking with updates… One time it just showed up outta the blue. If history repeats, should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Shipping notice received.
The actual package? Six weeks.
New Phish box set coming mid March - The Spectrum ‘97 - 6 CDs

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

Going from that to 85 will be a shift

I haven't checked for a shipping notice

I predict it arrives on Tuesday 1 30

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html