• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Does anybody know who this is?
I don't.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Does anybody know who this is?
I don't.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Just received mailbox candy, yum, burning into iTunes as we speak. Nuggets game on, wife on the couch, dog on the floor (is that backwards?) ;-p

I shall have to pour a glass and prepare for an enjoyable listen...

Past five:

Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
Led Zeppelin - Presence
Aerosmith - Night in the Ruts
Art Pepper - Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section

Cheers!

\m/

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Just got an email from HendrixFreak...he wanted me to say hi to everyone and let all of us know that he has been snafued to the nth degree trying to log in...password recognition is driving him crazy and sucks him into a vortex of insane endless loops...other than that he is doing fine ....hasta

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

No idea
A tattoo?
Where'd you find it?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....but I get blocked.
They were decent.
I'm not one to usually give up, but there is a limit.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

It looks like a portrait of Walter Becker to me. Perhaps, for a tattoo?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I stumbled upon a Treasure of ABB recordings, many of which I have had on tape and some on mp3, others brand new to me. One of them 11-22-69 features a 55 minute Mountain Jam that is one of the most spectacular things I have ever heard. At one point in what's tracked as a Will the Circle Be Unbroken Jam, Dickey is raging it toward The Other One type licks. Berry also has a longer, and more impressive bass solo. Long Bo Diddley Jam section, too, but this is just amazing stuff. Also, the 3-13-70 Warehouse show is included, which I've only had the 45 min Mountain Jam from before, so was excited to check the sound on that. Quite good, but best thing may have been the intro to Liz Reed where it's drily introduced as "Dickey Betts's composition... "I've Got Peanut Butter Caught In My Pubic Hairs", to which a refinement of Crunchy Peanut Butter is offered before Duane jokes that "You can dance the Funky Chicken to this song... if you have a mind to" while Dickey is playing a figure like the lead lick in The Eleven. They proceed to rip through what is now one of my favorite versions of Liz Reed. No shipping notice, so gonna dive into the Allmans for a while...

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

Number 3002 has arrived!
Earlier than the email notice anticipated as well, which was still not too slow at all.
Very impressive start to the subscription year indeed! Thank's Dave.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by RyXs

Goals by the R e d W i n g s.
Take that VGK.
:)

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

More gold nugget finds: 7-15-71 a short show without Gregg, Duane sings 2 songs, and and 2 instrumentals, but the second song he sings is the old blues Goin' Down Slow which he, Berry Oakley, and Johnny Sandlin (Jaimoe not being comfortable in the studio yet) recorded for the project that would have been his solo album, but became the ABB instead. The recording of Goin' Down Slow was one of two songs released on Duane Allman Anthology and then re-released on the Dreams box, Trouble No More Box, Skydog Box, but so worth it. And at a Montreal show 9-3-71 between Whipping Post and Revival is a Jam that features a snippet of Duane doing the Layla lick, then Dickey doubles it, and they do it for a couple bars. Made me wish they had done that back then, they had two fairly competent guitarists and Gregg could have sung the absolute shit out of that. I'm in hog heaven over here. Also, found one stinging regret in missing the Raleigh show in Sept 2000 with Jimmy Herring (did catch Charlotte 3 months prior and Xmas Jam 3 months later), where they did Loan Me a Dime, a Boz Scaggs song Duane played a 6 minute solo on. Never knew they did that outside a few Beacon shows.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

How do you post so much without getting Hey Now'd?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I just try it and see. I can get Hey Now'd for one sentence, as well. There have been several days where I tried posting recently and was forbidden by the Hey Now overlords. Yet these snuck through. I don't know, man. I just don't know.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by RyXs

ryxs your post made me go check my own shipping status, and I see it reached my local PO earlier this afternoon and now has a delivery date of Monday. This does seem faster than last year, that's for sure... fingers crossed ofc, as it ain't here yet!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Still no shipping notice, but USPS had it in my account. Just showed up today in UPS, with an estimate of Tuesday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....arguably their best year. I'm firmly in the '94 - '98 best five years camp. They were en fuego. All the practice came to fruition.
Pink Talking Fish are playing tonight at The Brooklyn Bowl. $30. Seriously thinking of going.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I have not received a shipping notice yet. Should I be concerned? And yes the weather has been mild here in N.Y.C..

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by deadegad

80 in dc the other day

Quite a hoax

There was a 79 degree day in DC on the same date in the 50s, i read

Still

Mild

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....it?

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

VGUY72 I am partial to phish 92 started seeing them back then first show was chestnut cabaret on the campus of Drexel University where I went the next two for me where arrowhead ranch and Amy’s farm. Was so laid back back then Chestnut Cab was such a small venue hey it was a great show between dead tours.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jjc

I notice that Dicks Picks 1 and 2 - on vinyl - are now available on Amazon UK. I've already got the 2nd - which is immaculate, but number 1. is calling my name too.

user picture

Member for

7 months

eta today before 1900 hours, fingers-crossed. better half works tomorrow so this house will be a rocking so don't bother knocking
here's to you all!

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Facepalm. If you happen to remember what page it was you got this, please let me know. Thank you.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

What's DiP 1 vinyl going for over there? RGM had it very limited for $99 for the 4-LPs and now others have it for $149 now. (Experience vinyl and private parties) Even our A ma zon wants $141. I just can't go there. My limit is $25 per LP so I'm out on that one.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

This high percentage of harmless posts that are still getting heynowd.

AngryJack was right, it's become pointless censorship.

It seemed to let this one through though, but not any of the variations of the one I wrote regarding 1985 Grateful Dead so I just gave up and wrote this instead.

Unfortunate. We have become part of a dysfunctional corporate bureaucracy

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

1stshow - I've just looked it up, and it comes to 176.54 dollars. I'm still tempted though. I haven't subscribed, so...that justifies it !
On the other side of the scale is the cd that arrived today - "Slick! Live at Oil Can Henry's" by Grant Green. A great sounding live cd from 1975, with a chunky little book. Yours for 8.66 dollars.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

anyone have a massive collection?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

left last one short just in case.

I've been asked about the group,,, I have random cuts. I see the archive has some. Anyone out there have all, in order?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by marye

I visit often enough, I just start typing "daves"and see which appropriate numbered Dave's Pick forum page comes up, and as the page loaded, right at the top was a big red Hey Now message. A few hours before that, I did have some trouble sending a PM, and got an error that referenced something about a server error, not the typical Hey Now admonition from our unseen Hank Kingsley overlord. But it's funny, as proudfoot had rightly questioned how the hell such long, verbose messages of mine had gotten through as others were denied. Maybe the Hey Now was just catching up with me, or giving me a pre-emptive strike of shock and awe.

user picture

Member for

10 months

Still no Frost shows shippee confirmee here.

OT but here’s a fun fact for the day. The neighborhood of South of Market in SF Bobby sang of as the “land of ruin” in 1989 on Picasso Moon is, as of December 2023, the most expensive neighborhood in the country in terms of price per square foot at $5,415 a square foot. Number 2 is $4,415.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

So far just listened to first set day one. Great mix, great energy. Yahoo I was at these shows!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

bought dp 2 vinyl from experience, one album had chip. Took two months, but they got me a new one and with a better number

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

3 messages got thru, time for a lottery ticket

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

A Book Signing with Robert Hunter - Menlo Park, CA. Nov. 4, 1990

World Premier of a 18 minute Q and A with Mr. Hunter.

Now available on dreamswedreamed dot com.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by VirgoHead

No shipping confirmation here yet either. In N.Y.C., North West Bronx.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html