• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

I love this release! i'm on the first not fade away. the only bad thing I have to say is that I'm sad that its almost over already.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

Wow, I haven't even listened to Albuquerque yet and this one is a top 5 for me. The sound is awesome! From listening to both Ann Arbor 1971 shows dozens of times over the years it seems they may have edited out some of the space between tunes. That said, there was more between song chatter on 12/15, namely before BIODTL ("You want the what louder? The piano? You want the piano louder?"). Great to finally see the Hill Auditorium shows get some love!
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

This is the first year I subscribed. All were bought ala carte sans DaP vol. 10 and 13. I bought 10 on Amazon and the seller sent me someone else's purchase. I forwarded on the other person's purchase and He sent me not only 10 but 13 as a thank you for not being a thief. We are a good group of folk. That said... DaP 10 4373/14000 DaP 13 13165/16500 DaP 14 16182/16500 DaP 19 1297/16500 DaP 20 5981/16500 DaP 25 12806/18000 DaP 26 8507/18000 Why do I never see Vol. 19 getting any love? I just listened to all three discs today at work and fell in love all over again. I think Dino from QMS is singing with Pig during Lovelight and he sounds awful and it is as if the band steps on the gas to make up for Dino's blowing it. Vol. 10? Also fucking spectacular. You can really get into all these cool little nooks and crannies of sound during disc 3. The bonus disc is stellar as well, needless to say. My top 3 favorites of what I own in the series are 26, 19, 10. Can't spin them enough.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Watching TB vs Bos.During a break in play the organ in the arena was playing Subdivisions. What we need is an organ player who can play China Cat.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I am sure I missed it being discussed, but what is the correct order for this show and what songs are missing? Thanks for the help
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Because plinky keys will resonate well on the ice
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 9 months

Typically anything I order arrives two weeks after the shipping notice arrives. It's not hard to wait two weeks for a t-shirt or some other bauble I order off Dead.net, but waiting for a DaP after receiving the shipping notice becomes a lingering hole in one's gut when you read all of the fabulous (or sometimes not so fabulous!) reviews posted here on each of these great releases before my copy arrives! Hope 26 arrives in time for the weekend. GO JETS GO!
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Dude. You are out there. Given where you live, how do you choose between the Jets, Oilers and Flames? My beloved Jets are killing it. Down 0-3 last night after one and comeback to win. Nice. Bolts beat the Bruins. Nice. Caps beat the pens in the final minute as those classy fans give Ovechkin the finger. Nice.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I read all these hockey posts and for some reason I get more excited to visit Banff than to watch fans offer their middle finger as a means of conflict resolution. But Banff.. yes.. Haven't been there and somehow, now.. it's in my future. If not this summer then next. Thank you Dead.net. Reminds me.. Q - how do you tell the difference between the scat of Black Bear vs. Grisly Bear. A - Black bear poop is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and perhaps feather or fur remnants. Grizzly bear poop is larger with little bells in it and smells like pepper spray. I still have more to say about Dave's Picks 26.. but how is Dave going to beat this? I really do need to compare the Best of Dave's Picks and recompute. Edit: I do live in the middle of Penguin country.. I'm a little afraid if I express an interest in hockey people my E72 box set might get compromised. :D
user picture

Member for

13 years

Cowboy Songs in the middle of "jams"..... .... ARE AWESOME!!!! 1971 is the best year for this phenomenon! Case in point: Dave's Picks Vol. 26 Check out that TOO > Me&MyUnc > TOO from ABQ The whole thing is killer! But, part II of that OTHER 1 is MAMU jammed out until the walls bleed. After a brief redux of the TOO theme, (to set the framework for what they're about to do,) and some theatrical Space, the second TOO jam starts proper around the 2min mark, and it is so clearly a theme carried over from "Uncle". Our boys take that theme and DESTROY IT! Try singing the words to MAMU loudly...it'll be fun :) This shit goes on until Phil brings it back with the "Tighten Up" theme around the 6min mark, (which BTW is a perfect way to communicate to others and direct chaos - Whatever the song may be called, I'll always call it "tighten up jam,) and then they go into a Phil and Keith breakdown that is made of crystal... then "Escaping through the lily fields" It's that "damn cowboy song" as a landing place amidst the chaos that directs the ferocity of the following jam, which makes up a truly special The Other One. 1971 Rules. Peace
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Well.. clearly you are somewhere just off kilter to space and time as we know it. My guesses are either you the last survivor, recently freed from the Bataan Death march or you're just hanging out scarcely clad in robes sipping tea served from a beautiful temptress in a Burmese Stupa. While we are on the subject.. so how about that new box set? btw.. all the bolo clues were spot on.. bacon and sans bacon.. an unsolvable riddle only solved by a 71 split, two shows, one month apart, half w/ bacon, half w/out. ..but how the hell are we going to guess that, I thought we were pontificating on the 73 Box Set. Edit: Right on Otis. I have been thinking about the good Doc's Capitol Theatre thesis from a month or two ago. Very well written.. but the tangent I draw regarding this era is Bob and his Gibson ES-335. It's my favorite Bob stuff. Or am I crazy? (don't answer that).
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....a crucial piece of the puzzle.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Recieved mine. Number 8377/18000. About to give a listen.
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Since when?
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

AJS - remind me again which classy franchise just had their goon suspended for three games for his third illegal head shot in the playoffs. But yeah, a fan giving the finger to a multi-millionaire superstar is the real crime. I want to second (or third? I lost count) the sentiment that the TOO - MAMU- TOO sandwich absolutely kicks ass. I love it when big spacey jams are grounded with a nice tight song structure in the mix somewhere. Phish is really good at that, too. The Dead, of course, invented it.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Boy if there’s a hidden leviathan yet to fully surface for GD releases, '81 would be it. Many great shows between February and May.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

went to SeaTac airport yesterday to pick up. waiting in the cell phone lot, listening to DiP22. Alligator > China Cat > Eleven > Alligator the transition Eleven > Alligator...listening with eyes closed, beautiful spring after noon...drifting along... BLAM! I _jumped_. "DUHFUQ!" freakin' hilarious.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Gave DP 8 a spin on vinyl for the anniversary yesterday- it never disappoints. It's funny because it's always my snow day show- love to listen to that out shoveling and then in front of the fire with a nice frosty beer when I'm done. I rarely think of it as a spring show- didn't it snow that day in '70 or do I have that confused with Cornell? Anyway, going to get into 26 this weekend. From what I've read, this is one for the ages- all love. Can't wait. And CosmicDavid- I am right there with you on 19- love that whole release. It definitely flies under the radar, but that one is always in heavy rotation for me. 10 too! Happy Thursday, y'all!
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Bolo has "no clue" on the upcoming box set? Do you all recall the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry and George meet for coffee?(For the umpteenth time.) George asks Jerry, "So what's going on in your love life?" Jerry: "I got nothin'." George: "Oh come on, just give me something." Jerry: "I'm not in the mood." George: "Well, you GET IN THE MOOD! I have no job, no girlfriend, I live with my parents and all I got is living vicariously through your life. So, you GET IN THE MOOD!" Hi Bolo -- I'm not sayin' it, I'm just quoting George Costanza: "No clue?" "Well, you GET IN THE MOOD!"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

It's a good point about BoLo.....I would doubt he really has any real insight about releases. His incredibly cryptic "clues" are just annoying. WHAT THE PHUCK is the next box set & when will it be out?!?!?! Why continue to tease & piss off fans with no releases except Skeletons in the CLoset - Live or whatever that mess is on the front page?!?! Time for info on the Greek Box Set already...
user picture

Member for

11 years

Was just bantering back and forth with a buddy of mine about the Dead which is not unusual and he said crazy how the band played Red Rocks in July 78 for two shows and in August 78. Boom!!! There it is!!! The next box will be Aug 30-31, 1978. Just in time for the anniversary! Thanks to my buddy! "Once in a while You get shown the light In the strangest of places If you look at it right" Peace
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Sorry to burst your balloon, but the August 78 shows kinda sucked and the band knew it. I believe they rec'd Shakedown St, hadn't played a show, and banked on the July magic to carry them. After a fairly disastrous first set, first night, they retreated backstage and refreshed themselves, came back out and did nice second set. The better shows were Aug 12-14, '79; the first at the Rocks, the second and third at Big Mac (shed). All quite hot. And RV3: can we please use a little humor and fewer F-bombs, perhaps? I'd like to tease Bolo, but expletive-laden harangues I just can't get on board with.
user picture

Member for

11 years

Looking to maintain my perfect record of never being right about these things....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

struck a chord or two with me, so to speak. I'm another big fan of the Weir ES-335 sound. One of the showpieces IMO is the Bertha on From the Vault 3, where it's high in the mix and really drives the tune. Very rich and mellifluous tone, if I do say so. Between that and Garcia's tone on the Peanut in April '71, as well as throughout 69-71 pretty much, that era's always topped my list. Garcia's guitar just seemed more raw, raunchy, unrestrained, and at times even gutteral and vocal to me during that time. I've been on the road so DaP 26 awaits me at home in my post office held mail, which I'll return to this weekend. The reviews have me stoked for sure. Still hoping for both the Ark and Feb. '71 Port Chester boxes sooner rather than later. Once they release those masterpieces, they can do all the '73's, '74's and '76's they want! But of course, I know they'll follow their own muses instead of mine. Hangin' out in a condo unit with a partial view of the blue Pacific in Ventura CA this week. Heading out for an afternoon hike in Zuma Canyon down towards Malibu today, rising up out of the wooded canyon to an ocean view from the ridge. Most scotious, as Dr. John would say. You must go to Banff. It's every bit as spectacular or more so than the Swiss Alps, Italian Dolomites, New Zealand Remarkables, Telluride area San Juans, and the Eastern Sierra. Be sure to take the highway up to Jasper too, and stay long enough to ensure you get some days of good sunshine. Not sure how the whitewater running there is, but it's jade green with the glacial runoff. As long as you're traveling so far, be sure to cross British Columbia via Kamloops/Kelowna over to Whistler for a few days too. Whistler's known for skiing, but is a great summer mountain town too. What a fantastic corner of Canada it all is out there.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I am not sure if it snowed for Harpur College. They played outdoors a couple days later (5/6/70 at Kresge Plaza, M.I.T. - Cambridge, MA) and it was but cold, perhaps a flurry or two. After NFA Bobby exclaims, "Thanks a lot folks, we will see ya'll tomorrow but it's too fucking cold out here" Indian summer in reverse.. what a great show.
user picture

Member for

11 years

Kresge was one of my first tapes...and I miss it. This would be a great filler or bonus disc! Might be High Time to spin some May 70!!!
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

You're kicking around my neck of the proverbial woods today. Enjoy that Zuma ridge view, man. It truly is spectacular. One of the million reasons I love living here.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Was there. It's always a good day when Jerry throws a fist pump! This was part of a great little Spring run up the coast, and there have been a few of those.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Lucky bastards... although there's nothing wrong with the views from my little retreat, especially on a day like today. I'm not heading to SCal this year, but what a beautiful state that gave us some great music and culture too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Yep skull, the whole area from Santa Barbara down to Santa Monica is my favorite part of southern Cal. Although OC through San Diego, Pasadena into the San Gabriels, and Palm Springs over to Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead ain't too shabby either. I did the Sandstone/balanced rock loop at Circle X yesterday, almost like a mini-Utah. Fantastic. The LA area is way underappreciated by outsiders for its vast scenic outdoors options, not to mention the weather that enables it. A quick one day drive back home to the Bay Area is made even easier passing through the little paradises of SLO and Monterey on (the) 101 too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

A slight return to the Before the Dead vinyls. There are only 25 units of the 5-LP limited edition box set that can be added to the shopping cart. I managed to pre-order a copy when there were 75 units left back on April 28th. Edit - I checked the Garcia Family Provisions website before hitting Save and see that there are now only 20 boxes left.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

That's exactly what I'm having for dinner right now. I'm on my drive home and I'm up to ramble on Rose, which means the other one is on the horizon... Oh, and as far as the weir ES-335 comments to go, I couldn't be more on board. Bobby never sounded better.
user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

LoveMyGirl would like to know how to post some photos on here. and I don't know how. so if you know LoveMyGirl and know how to share photos on here kindly message him/her on how to do it.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Rocking to 5-3-72 Other One right now
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

A great one.. Dark, moody, brooding.. then suddenly at peace with the world. That one takes me places no car or airplane can ever reach.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Did Jerry Just sing 'Listen to the whistle of the acid train' lol ps. now on Good Lovin' Pig sings 'all i need is a little grease' lol
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

The numbers only matter if you think they do. I have a sealed DaP with no number at all! FWIW, I have Richie Havens compilations from Rhino and they are numbered in the same exact way. Thanks to whoever posted that ESO link. I've managed to download that zoomable image. Love getting lost in the pixels of space dust of our outer galaxy. Wow.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....a question as old as time on this site. Never seen a definitive answer. So I guess it's a no go....unless one wants to change their avatar every other day.
product sku