• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...sorry to stray off topic but while we are all talking about the art work for daves pick #26 and the bonus disc, I can’t stress more what an amazing artist the Dead have chosen for this years series! Well, while we are on the subject of art, I have some news. I have 3 paintings of some very rare art work hand signed and numbered by the legendary Stanley Mouse that I’m looking to sell to help pay medical bills. History shows more than most of Stanley’s art prints/paintings for sale are from 500 total prints made. My 3 art works are of only 250 total prints, very rare. I can’t figure out how to post photos on these threads, sorry. If anyone’s interested, please send me a message. Thank you.... ...ok, back to daves pick 26. Love’n every moment of this show/release both primo quality audio and restoration from a recording made from 1971. Good ol Grateful Dead indeed my friends! ....
user picture

Member for

6 years

Got my Dave's Pick #26 (#851/18000) a few days earlier than expected and its been on continual rotation ALL day. This is a truly exceptional release - I'm talking like my instant top 10. Just turn it on and turn it up and there will be nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile! THANK YOU
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

DaP26 and the bonus disc are in separate holders that are shrink wrapped together. If you subscribed but didn’t get the bonus disc you need to contact customer service. Reply to the confirmation email you received when you subscribed.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

I was at the Cap Theatre that night for the first of Jerry's two solo shows that night. They were the only time he did it, getting John Kahn to join him after that. I heard it was because he was really nervous up there alone. And when he spoke to the audience during the show, her certainly did seem nervous and really appreciative of all the positive vibes. I love that show. Finally found a good digital copy last year.I have a cassette tape of it I got a month or so after the show, and it was the last cassette I still listened to - 35 years later. Just a really special night of all the shows I saw. So glad a friend of mine at MIT had a ticket he could spare. I drove up from U of MD and met him for the show. Still owe him for that. My DaP 26 is at the PO box. Picking it up in the morning. Good to see all the feedback is so positive. Will get it ripped and loaded to my phone and will start it as I head north between ABQ and Santa Fe next week on my way to Red Rocks and Phil. Love the cover art, and while those aren't the Sandia's, they are close enough for me.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

There's no arguing that disc 2 from Albuquerque does not deliver. It goes all Frodo Baggins on your ass, taking you 'There and Back Again' especially during The Other One, by way of the Wild West. Was that a 'Feelin Groovy' in there? Yup. And don't even get me started on that Not Fade Away>Going Down The Road>Not Fade Away sammy... And I haven't even tapped disc 3 or Bonus Boy yet. Sixtus.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I think it sounds amazing. I've only hit a few tracks, but Black Peter from Ann Arbor delivers! A great reference point, imo. The single drummer formation helps keep this song succinct, and this version just rings. I know I commented in this exactly a year ago when DaP 22 dec '71 was released, but on a lot of songs in '71-72, Phil sings a LOT of harmonies, often while Bobby hangs back. His harmonies on this Black Peter sound good, and this version just put a huge smile on my face driving home tonight, I fricking love getting 2 shows in 1 release.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

#13,858 is safely home in Chicago. It's a frosty late April Saturday and I could plausibly be accused of putting back a few too many Le Tubs, but the Knights just scored an overtime goal, set 2 just started, and the good vibes are permeating the dead.net forums. How cool it is to hear this music from a 47 year old set of reels, once recorded and cherished, listened to and put away, traded and stored, forgotten and rediscovered, here and gone at the same time? Hurling through time and space with the rest of us, a fossil buried in the earth while its radio active cousin lived out its own half-life. Turns out the Vegas goal didn't count. Ramble on Rose took precedence over the linesman's explanation, but I wonder if anyone will watch a replay of this game in 47 years. Maybe a really old V-guy, depending on how the surf breaks. Well, back to the show. I'm really enjoying the music. If I have to pick a nit, both Jerry and Bob are forgetting some lyrics, but these are largely new songs and the playing makes up for it. I know the words anyway. I'm interested in how ForensicDoc11 sizes this one up too. P.S. This Other One is a monster.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

Being one of those who listens to a lot of GD but didn't exactly make the effort to seek out every note they ever played, I hadn't heard a lot of Fall 71 other than the utterly sublime 10/31 on Dick's 2 until Dave's 22 and the 2017 bonus came along. I found those shows good not great--more letting an audience in on getting ready for 1972 than stellar in its own right. I was expecting more of the same from the Albuquerque show, and boy, was I ever proved wrong! A well oiled, tight jamming machine that should not be possible a month in to acclimating the new guy! A hard rocking element very different to anything I ever heard out of this band. Keith is aggressive sounding in a way he wasn't thereafter. Sounds like Keith is on an upright rather than his usual grand. Unique and powerful music. Wonderful surprises like this is why I subscribe.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Uh HuH! 17147, 853 away from 18000 arrived today and i'm spinning Albu-quer-que! So glad the 1971 city deciders decided to let one more show proceed..and a universally qualified choice with dancing hippies and the like ensuing...'Police get no calls'....indeed.I always do the listening party, cause it's at work, and it's always better when i spin it at home. Although i understand waiting, for our kids we chose to be surprised. DAP26 is a surprise, deep into cryptical envelopment/drums/the other one/uncle/too now..... Holy Moly they're waking-rockin' on this.. Hippychic it IS nice to just receive it in the mail, that pleasant moment when you go to your mailbox and your day or evening gets some transformation. The artwork is great, I want a T-shirt of the bonus. Ericandjenn, send the car buyers off with a CD starting with Truckin'!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

GDTRFB, just heard Black Peter today, was the first song the DJ played when i was listening, and the DJ heard Jerry passed...good choice
user picture

Member for

14 years 10 months

Vol. 26 Albuquerque New Mexico No. '71 arrived today (1300's). Wow. I must say that the Bonus disc with Ann Arbor MI '71, coupled with the other Ann Arbor material on disc 3, is like getting almost 2 full shows in a Dave's Picks release. Thanks Dave!Been up all night listening while editing photos. Magnificent solid shows all through!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I have also been impressed that I have read only positive reports about Dap26. I don't think I have seen a single expression of disappointment. But I don't mind reading critical comments-ones that could be perceived as being negative. The fact that people do feel free to express such views on here can only mean that when there is a unanimous thumbs up-then that show must REALLY be worth hearing. Not that shows that are criticized aren't-but I am sure you get the point. I haven't received mine yet, and wont for several weeks, living here in England. One things for sure, striker-we both have plenty to look forward to!
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I'm sorry to hear that your father-in-law passed on. May he rest in peace.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Wow! What a jaw dropper! Amazing! Much better than I expected.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!! Perhaps it is reverse karma that as one of the few chronic advocates for 11/17/71, and one of the super rare group of folks who have listened to the previously circulating "bad FM" recordings of it regularly (I've always listened all the way through at least once a year, and some things----like Truckin', TOO, and the NFA suite---I've listened to much more often), I shall receive my copy of the eminently listenable DaP 26 after everybody else has gotten theirs. I'm encouraged by the early positive reviews, and I'm not surprised that in some cases it has exceeded expectation. I've been saying I told you so for 25+ years lol.............. Come Tuesday, when I finally maybe kinda sorta get my copy, I shall luxuriate in it!!!! Rock on my friends! Doc I may even miss the funny voice-over during Truckin'
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Damn dude. That sucks. All of our best to the Vguy clan through this tough time.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

As someone who has been critical of 1971 (only compared to the transcendental greatness of the surrounding years), must concur with the opinion that this Albuquerque show is super hot from beginning to end. Thank you Dave. [12 14 bonus disc is also superb ...]
user picture

Member for

8 years

...sorry to read about you and your families loss. Sending many prayers your way....
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

not here yet, but I hope it's on it's way. So, a follow-up question what's missing from the bonus disc? I saw mentioned ramble on rose, anything else missing from the bonus disc?
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

one of the five greatest of 79, and an all-time classic. 79 is frequently overlooked due to 686970717273747677 being so awesome. take some time to explore 79, especially Autumn and the New Year run. reeeeeeeeeeeally good stuff 1027 1028 1031 111 112 115 118 1125 und so weiter
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

7/31/82
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I will listen to DaP26 on my Oregon road trip next Saturday. anticipation anticipaaation
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Otiel performed at Gathering of Nations Pow Wow the past two days. Bumped into him and we talked some. A real standup human being. And regular guy. Looking forward to 11/17/71 when I return home to SW New Mexico.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Always a good sign. 12/14 is chopped up, but they *almost* got it all in there! And I understand why (no allowed covers on bonus discs). Still, with how sweet this release is, it gets my thoughts turning to the Box Set. Plan is to do at least one big one every year. We had two last year. So what is next? Well, if you wanna tell your future, just look what's in your hand. So to speak. In terms of Box Sets, we have had 15-16 over the years (I would not count the 5 CD GD Movie Soundtrack), and at least one a year since 2008. 4 of those were multi-year spanners (So Many Roads, The Golden Road, Beyond Description, 30 Trips). I think we can cross off that format. That leaves 12. All from what I would call a peak year ('69, '72, '73, '77, '89-'90) or one very close to it ('78 + '74 if you count the GD Movie soundtrack). All centered around multiple outstanding shows from a top year. I think we can throw out 4 years that have had a LOT of ground covered already. '77 has had 3 (Winterland CR, May '77, Get Shown the Light = 35 CDs). '90 two (Spring '90 + Spring '90 TOO = 41 CDs); and while '72 had only 1 (Europe '72 complete = 73 CDs) it was huge & has the most releases (16) and most discs (119+) of any year. Well tilled ground. 1989 also had two, including the most recent (Warlocks, RFK = 12 CDs). And the only Box that really is NOT iconic (RFK: that should have been Alpine, guys).
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Both of them. We were 10 rows off the ice, right in front of the goal, when Brett Hull was in the crease and scored the infamous "No Goal" against Buffalo back in 1999. Still stings to this day. Hang in there. You've got a good club. DaP26 will help to ease some of your pain. Peace.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Sorry to hear about your loss(es) Vguy. Wow - totally digging that ABQ show. That little compact of a Playin' is the best compact powerhouse of that song I've ever heard. Love hearing the evolution of a jam in the embryonic state. Such a leap, such explosiveness, that was as we say in these parts "wicked pissa". And that Other One - wow did they just Genesis me? The first two discs alone probably puts this show in the top 5 DaP's for me. And I have not even moved over to Hill, will be have to play the Black Peter in honor of Vguy's father in law...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Continuing. I guess there are two real ways you go could go on a box set, one would be something entirely unreleased (or close to it), another would be to completely release a run that has had significant stuff released from it but is incomplete. I am not opposed to either. And I would most likely choose a top year ('69, '72, '73, '77, '89-'90, '70, '71, '74, '78, '76) or at least a B+ year. If we go with completing a set that has parts released already, I have 6 goodies. 1) 1970 Fillmore East (2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14); 2) 1971 Closing Fillmore E (4/25, 4/26, 4/27, 4/28, 4/29), 3) '74 Winterland (10/16, 10/17, 10.8, 10/19, 10/20); 4) Summer '74: 6/23 & 6/24 & either complete the next two (6/26&28 from DiPi 12) or the previous two (6/16 & 6/18 + 6/20), 5) Alpine '89 Complete; and 6) Acoustic '80 Full Shows: pick a run from '80 Warfield/Radio City. We still don't have a full show from this run. 4 from 10/10 to 10/14 would be my Warfield Choices, 10/30&31 Radio City. If you want totally fresh, I would go: 1) Summer '73. Four consecutive shows: 5/26 (Kezar), 6/9&10 (RFK), 6/22 (PNE). Though there is some duplication for 6/9 & 5/23 (and 6/9 is not titanic like the others. Maybe save Kezar for Indivicual 2) Fillmore East '70. 4 Shows. 9/17, 9/18, 0/19, 9/20. Now, the February stuff is probably better, but this is still Acoustic/Electric stuff. Or, 3) 10/30 & 10/31 '70. Stony Brook NY. Ditto here. 1970, for my money, is the most underrepresented year of the A years ('69, '70, '71, '72, '73, '74, '76, '77, '78, '89, '90). Time to correct that. 4) Summer '76. 4 shows. 6/11, 6/12, 6/14, 6/15. This summer has been mined before. DaPi 17 (7/17) and RT V4#5 (6/9 + some 6/12) and Download Series (6/18). Still a spectacular run here. Save 7/18/76 for a stand alone release. 5) '68 Mickey & the Heartbaeats. A strange chapter in GD history, but some great shows here. 10/8, 10/9, 10/10 for the Heartbeats + 10/11, 10/12, 10/13 Avalon (no Pig). Don't know what the tapes look like, but 10/8 + 10/9 + 10/12 would be fantastic & unusually non-repetitive. 6) Summer '85. Of the B+ years, '85 is one of my favorites. Summer tour was rippin'. 20th Anniversary. Take the 4 after the Cincy show on 30 Trips: 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1. Interesting sets. Unusual songs. Cryptical. Best Shakedown ever. Double encores.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Did not come to Plano, TX. Will have to settle for 2669. Who does get #1,,,Dave? Have only skimmed a little, will listen at work tonight. Very nice recording though, crisp and clean and no caffeine. Now in the quiet chuckle department. Was watching the Hollywood bio pic about Will Rogers, American humorist and guy who could twirl a rope. They had the usual voice over shots of train platforms showing how tough it was to travelling from town to town for shows. So here he is standing with his "new" wife on a rain soaked platform and what does the station sign read.... Gainesville! Must be a sign (double pun?)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm in the process of importing the CDs, for which I choose to change the album folder names so that they match the format that was started with Dick's Picks. This means that I have to scan the artwork and apply that to the files. Thank you for saving me the trouble! I'm using: Dave's Picks Vol. 26: 12/14/1971 (Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, MI) and Dave's Picks Vol. 26: 11/17/1971 (Albuquerque Civic Center, Albuquerque, NM) One thing that is consistent with all of these releases is that they are never consistent! Just about ready to listen to these gems for the first time!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I could go for a late 79. Say an NYC MSG September 1979 three show run as a minibox?!?! Bestimmt! All of those other 1979 shows would be good candidates too. The January NYC MSG 1979 would be, likewise, great too, but, the tape may be missing. That was on e of Charlie Miller's all time favorite second sets.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks again for promptly posting this on here and Album Art Exchange!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks again for promptly posting this on here and Album Art Exchange!
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

A kind soul took mercy on me, and e-mailed me a copy............. What was only seen before through the haze of fog, is now experienced with the clarity of a deep Vermont winter morning, taking one's breath away................ What happened during the set break? They entered the stargate as hard rocking, country western rockabillys, and emerged as radiant interstellar goliaths. The Other One frenzies have propelled me through the outer rings of Saturn, I'll be back one day............ My one question-----how, and WHY? did this recording survive the ravages of time????? I'm rockin' on, Doc If he was indeed mad, his delusions were beautifully organized.............
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Thanks to several including copperdomebodhi and Garrett H, most everybody probably already has the cover art you need. But just in case: Dave’s Picks 26 appeared here in west Texiz late yesterday, so I was only just now able to finish scans of cover art for it and the 2018 Bonus CD. These are higher res scans, color-corrected, and in square format that combines all imagery from both CD case AND booklet. If you’re already on my list, I’ve emailed you directly. You can download it all from DropBox at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k66dd52wd1h7ub7/AAB_s0b4OTT3iouVDUngLCaUa?dl… FROM THE ROAD: We were in Albuquerque a week ago for a short visit. Had to leave before sunup in order to drive all the way to Houston that day. As we headed east on the interstate pass thru the Sandias, a dozen or more hot air balloons already dotted the sky. First rays of the rising sun were beginning to radiate up through a weird cloud bank that was blowing over the mountains from the east. Maybe a week early, but it was a dazzling, real-life version of Tim McDonagh’s great cover art. Onward!
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

This one's a scorcher! Knocked me flat on my ass at first listen. Easily one of the best in the series so far (imho). Just when I think there couldn't possibly be any more surprises -- well, here we are.
user picture

Member for

8 years

Ciao’ Doc!Just wanted to say thank you For giving me a reason To carry on. ...Beautiful post Doc! Love it! :)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Many thanks to Peter Rowan. Great tune. now.. back to the mind blowing DaP26 discussion already in progress.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

...was waiting in mailbox when I returned today from fourday trip home. Was glad it wasn't left carelessly on the porch by the carrier, or swiped. I prefer mailbox delivery from USPS when possible as it is most secure. This is maybe my second lowest number ever in this series. I'm not that obsessive, I'd have to go downstairs and look at 'em all and I don't feel it's important. But 2,331 / 18k is a low number by any standard. And, oh, why does that matter? To date nothing has been yanked from our porch, though I suppose this admission could be the kiss of death. Best Dokken song ever, "Kiss Of Death." Cheese but that is the best rhythm figure or lead George Lynch ever released. Hot. So, back to the GD I burned the bonus disc first. Great cover art, on display here in the hive and the Black Peter is exceptional. Moving on to the Featured Presentation, well, it is less time-traveled than other areas. Going back I mean... tasty, fresh and just exactly what I wanted. I can listen to every song and hear how it went before tuning into the nightly jukebox that was E72. And that was if not the, one of the highest water marks. Like the drop that splashed another foot up on the rail when the wave came crashing in. As it does.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

11/17/1973 - Dave's Picks 511/17/1972 - Dave's Picks 11 11/17/1971 - Dave's Picks 26. A case can be made that these are perhaps the top 3 Dave's. What say you? Any other 11/17 shows release-worthy?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

All youse that are spinning this gem, spare a thought for me, according to customer service my copy has not even been sent yet(!), and even after someone gets round to sending it, it will be at least a month till I have it my hands in Sweden.... This year has been one whole series of frustrations with my sub for Daves, I have a correspondence with the ever helpful Marye as long as a Pig rant... Good thing I have other stuff to listen too, just now Masabumi Kikuchi, next up, Flash by Motohiko Hino, modal jazz from Japan is really hitting the spot chez Dogon.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

does hill auditorium have a bell tower like in the picture? Modal Jazz didn't he marry Tevye oldest daughter?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Sorry Dennis, Im a bit obtuse and dont get the reference!Sometimes I do need little pictures drawn for me...did once date a woman called Chava, but thats another story and has nothing to do with either jazz, modal or otherwise, nor the Dead.
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

That big tower on the bonus disc cover looks like its just behind Hill Auditorium. You can see it in the frame if you do an image search. Its called Burton Memorial Tower. They're both right on U of M's main campus. Hill is a cool venue. I've seen several shows there: Herbie Hancock Quintet, Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea, Beck, the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. The ceiling has this very ornate, circular design that's super trippy when the lights go down. I'm sure that had nothing at all whatsoever to do with Dead's decision to play there and none of the fans in attendance would likely notice or be into that sort of thing ;) https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hill+auditorium+picture&id=4AE39F1…
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thanks RogueDG. Cool venue indeed.. I am always curious of the venues from shows I like. ahh to have been in the audience 47+ years ago..
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

My plan for "Ann Arbor first" went out the window when we gathered last night and we listened instead to Albuquerque. This show really presages Euro '72 in that most "Euro '72 songs" come across fully developed and ready for the 16-track, even more so than the Academy of Music, 3-72 run. Classic GD to stumble over the intro to the second song of the show, then recover to deliver a great show. Amazing and new-to-my-ears jamming late in the compact Playing in the Band and seriously new music being played during The Other One. And I personally always love first set rockers like Big Railroad Blues, where Jer's ripping leads threaten to turn things upside down. This is a huge addition to the GD live release riches. Will rearrange the songs to hear 12-14-71, which I previously had on tape with a way-too-loud piano in the mix. And taste the bacon grease. Looking forward to the seasonal "Run Rudolph Run," of course. We remarked on the sheer luck we've all had that this tape survived the storage locker saga intact and recorded well beyond my wishful imagination to deliver such you-are-there sound. The vocals were reminiscent of the very best shows when you swear the boys are in the room with you and each instrument is well and crisply represented. I see ForensicDoc has emerged from the ether-laden gloom to celebrate and, like a real trouper, do so without getting his first upgraded listen yet. Cheers!
product sku