• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years

in '95 I wasn't into the Dead at all. it was Marvel Comics, Spider man and current 90's dance pop all the time every time lol
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Thanks, Jim. I'm one of those people. Ripple was my wedding song, played acoustically as my wife and I walked down the aisle (it was an outdoor ceremony, but still). Maybe the video posted isn't particularly enthralling, but the song itself is a thing of beauty (pun intended).
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

4-15-1970 Winterland.Yup.Same show. They were opening for our boys. Get some Midnight Cafe' :o)
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

6-2-1995 Shoreline:o) ...all is not lost...
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

I enjoyed that video. Ripple is an amazing song. Interesting to pick that song for your wedding. I've always imagined it as a perfect song for a memorial. Either way it works, its a metaphor for our lives and the impact we make on the world around us. With songs to fill the air the whole time. Just frickin brilliant. *glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg* "Dude, what's this song about?" *glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg glurg* *cough* "Dude, its about US, man. All of us. We're the Ripple, man. We're all just like a ripple, in a pond, right, and first there's a big splash, and the ripple, like, goes out in a circle and it touches everything around it, and then it eventually dies out. But nothing is ever the same after the Ripple." "Whooooooooa, that's deep man." "That's Jerry, man. Jerry was a wise soul." *Whooooooooooooooooooooosh* "This is cashed." "Damn, I'm dry. I gotta call Ronnie." "Play that video again. That one chick was fine." "Right on man."
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I enjoyed the video, and I have always loved the song. Its fun to play, too. If I am ever in a guitar shop, and feel like trying an acoustic guitar that is what I play. I don't sing it, which might empty the shop. About 10 years ago, I visited one of my friends at his home. He was a psychiatric social worker in a local hospital- a secure unit. Anyway, he had some guitars around, and I played Ripple for him and his family. They hadn't heard it before. The next time I saw him, a few months later, he told me he had set up a music group for some of the patients at the hospital, and he was teaching them all Ripple. He encouraged as many people to join in as could.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

As usual Jimbo thanks for straightening me out. You would have been proud of me last week when I settled this crowd down in your absence. People were at each other's throats about The Who and the Doors. I warned them you'd be coming home soon:-)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I took that as another Bolo clue that I am still trying to make sense of.
user picture

Member for

8 years

The Who or The Doors post by ‘Bolo’ wasn’t a clue if I remember correctly.
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

F*** Neil Peart. I went to about 20 of his concerts over the years, and that mother f***** never invited me to watch the show from the catwalk. I hope he just goes and retires. And I'm sure what Pigpen actually said to Manzarek was "no you can't borrow my organ, can't you see I'm banging this chick on it?"
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Also a Thank You to Shirdeep for that illuminating excerpt between Neal and Mickey. Super insightful. I hadn't ever scratched the surface of Rush until about 5 or 6 years ago when one evening after a work dinner i plopped on the couch and happened to catch one of Rush's later-years documentaries on HBO and it was very captivating. I of course was familiar with some of their radio-play songs, but never really understood what they were all about. That documentary had me walking away and grabbing a whole bunch of their stuff and doing a preliminary deep dive. What struck me the most was the affable relationship between the three band members, a True Friendship. And Neal Peart was so well spoken, introspective, down to earth and HUMAN. Zero ego. For any of them. So refreshing. And this in turn garnered that much more respect from me for them. It warms my soul to see these two craft-masters so respectful of each other and their talents. Despite the goals and missions of each band being so different. KeithFan will be in Hog Heaven with this story. Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

What a great release this Dick's 18 is. As noted below somewhere Jerry's solo on the Bertha opener is just exactly perfect. While the crowd noise is muted one can hear a burst of applause just after Jerry's Bertha solo -- yup it was that good! The crowd erupts! The liner notes has a praising a fan letter which talks about the band 'stretching' that night. The Truckin and Other One have the band building up into these big in unison crescendos rather like the 'slamming' part of The Rolling Stones Midnight Rambler but better. Dick's 18 gets Two Thumbs Way Up!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Indeed Sixtus, awesome story about Neil and Mickey (thanks for sharing that shirdeep). I had no idea they knew each other - very cool to read up on it. I was surprised by Neil's take on the Dead's interpersonal relationships; he made it sound like they pretty much met on stage from night to night, and that was it. I'm not sure how Bobby could be his "bag man" under those circumstances, unless he was sneaking over to Jerry's tent ;-) I did some Junderhalle on the way in to work, as well as some 30 Trips '77 to celebrate those anniversary dates. Now I have DP 26 going on my work speakers (kind of nice, nobody bothers me). Did anyone else put the Viola Lee Blues from Fallout from the Phil Zone in their folder for DP 26 / 4/26/69? I've taken to doing stuff like that. Also made a whole new folder for 11/2/77 and combined the DaP 12 bonus tracks with the DP 34 bonus tracks; add some soundboards of the leftover missing tracks, and voila - a whole new Dead record (including some snappy album cover art I borrowed online, but improved a wee bit). https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4ESdD07n7_aN2Z4YzVXRVZXRFU
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just watched that for the first time. Beautiful rendition of a classic favorite. Production value is top notch in both, video and audio. A nice tribute to Jerry from a large global cast of all-stars from their respective geographic locations, and all for a great cause. Read their "About Us" mission statement on their web page and believe their cause to build music and art schools for the under-privelidged is something the world needs more of. Why somebody would find that boring is beyond me. They might get a kick out of this though.... Donna Jean slowed to 60% - Donna Jean Godchaux during the Playing in the Band scream. Veneta 1972 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7LrdKDDbYc&app=desktop Just saw this posted on facebook and thought I'd share it here. Don't know if it's already been posted elsewhere here.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Should have asked first, but,,, I just got tics for October to see David. Anyone see the current tour? The guy on "World Café" raved about it. Opinions. Oh yeah, got my notice also. Also, nice sounding youtube vid of Bob doing a acoustic demo of Weather Report Suite.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Haven't seen the current tour, but I've caught him live a few times over the years. Never been disappointed.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Spacebrother, if you slow Donna down another 30% she'll sound as good as Brent!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I little while back I was conceptualizing an album comprised entirely of every Donna scream edited together as something along the lines of "Grayfolded - Transitive Axis/Mirror Ashes". The Youtube video of Donna screaming at 60% pitch gives me some ideas. Maybe a concept like Brian Eno meets Yoko Ono. Sure, it was intended for humorous purposes, but now think it actually should be done. Perhaps somebody with good production/editing acumen could take on this kind of project. You never know, it could be pretty cool. Somebody should pitch this idea to tptb....seriously.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Folks, been out in the backcountry for a week, making some "head"-way. So I just listened to Dave's basement-side chat. It appears that the Anthem reissue news came out after Dave's chat, is that so? So, when he talks about DaP 26, then "one thing," I think he's referencing the Anthem project with the much-anticipated 10-22-67. On my recent journey, I had a highlights CD of 11-10-67, which reminded me how far along they were at that point, especially with Anthem material. When Dave talks about this "other big thing" for later in the year, I imagine he's talking about the annual box set, but gives zero clues. Maybe Bolo's clues (do I recall 2 and 7?) referred to the 10-22-67 show coming in July? Or has anyone picked up anything more on the content or timing on the upcoming (I presume post-July) box? Heading back out next week for another springtime mind refresher, free from concern that a box announcement is imminent... But hoping DaP 26 arrives before I split. In fact, Saturday morning would be ideal.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Are we really attempting to have an intelligent conversation about what specifically was or wasn't mumbled on a noisy stage between two inebriated musicians 50 years ago based on decades old personal accounts from people who didn't like each other? Slowed down Donna screams??? Hopefully DaP26 will get our heads on straight again. Mine comes Monday. Woohoo!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I have not caught anything from this tour.. which is too bad as it looks like they already did this part of the country.. but I did catch his American Utopia rap on Cobert. It was entertaining and witty.. I'd go if given the opportunity.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

thank goodness. Ray and the Pig Mickey Heart and Neil Part Donna screams slowed down...anything slowed down sounds funny. Even JG. Butthole Surfers were masters of slowed down sounds. stay grateful, my friends. BRING ON DaP 26!!! I'll have to wait until summer for AOTS. and what indeed is in the box? must be a box of rain reference.
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Donna hater
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I noticed nobody's mentioned any of the songs that are available for the listening party. I've been avoiding them because there's nothing like that virgin listen. I guess since nobody's commented on them, we're all into virgins?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

and the just exactly perfect time for that virgin listen. I do have a road trip to Oregon coming up. If I receive it before then, that will be right for my first time.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I also do not partake in the listening parties for that exact reason. I actually get a little neurotic about listening to soundboards, because I'm afraid of ruining the first listen of a show that might be released some time in the future. For example, I've never listened to June 10th 1973. I listened to December 15th, 1971 once, and felt like I should have held off. I pretty much ruined the Get Shown The Light box set by listening to the sound boards first (but I couldn't help myself there, because we never thought those tapes were coming back). Anyway, it's a Neurosis for sure.
user picture

Member for

8 years

...Neville Brothers saxophonist Charles Neville died today 4/26/18 of pancreatic cancer in Massachusetts, where he had lived for many years. He was 79. RIP... :(
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Dark Star 9/21/72Wharf Rat 2/18/71 He's Gone 5/6/81 UJB 2/27/94 Terrapin 3/20/77
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Too bad to hear about Charles Neville. A lot of our guys are reaching that age. Here's a great clip of Yellow Moon with John Hiatt guesting. He fits right in. Charles on sax and the Neville's guitarist rip out some feverish interplay near the end. Special appearance by Ed Bradley in the audience for a few seconds too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87iUDZGDKs
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Great Link. Enjoyed the Nevilles a good bit over the years. First exposed to them opening for and playing with the GD.. but boy where they free and fun. Thanks man.. ..and RIP Mr. Charlie.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey KiethFan, I saw that you mentioned that you are combining tracks from various releases into one folder/playlist. I have been doing that too. Over 6 months ago, maybe longer, I discovered that a few releases when combined either completed a show or more often came close to it. I did some research and I came across these shows along with the ones you mentioned (4/26/69 & 11/2/77) that fit the the bill: 2/13/70 2/14/70 4/28/71 4/28/71 7/31/71 8/6/71 12/6/71 4/26/72 5/7/72 6/16/74 6/18/74 10/17/74 10/18/74 10/19/74 7/16/76 10/11/77 10/16/77 9/16/78 10/21/78 11/9/79 Now some of these are the Road Trips or Daves Picks where the bonus disc combined with the rest of the same release helps to round out the show. Yet some of these are from 2 (or more) completely different releases. Again the combination does not always give a complete show release but definitely 50% of it for most. Also there are more that I may have missed or just didn't include because the combination doesn't add up to more that just a smaller portion (less than 50%) of the show. 10/11/77 is my favorite of these becuase it combines the hidden filler on DP 29 with tracks from Road Trips V1 N1. This became a fun projrct for me. I know this may seem a little nutty too but this appeases the collector in me. Any way I have a thorough breakdown of all of these release combinations if anyone is interested.
user picture

Member for

6 years

the playing in the band was the only one I listened to. saving your virginities for this show....neeeerrrrds!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Reminds me of.. Now's not the time to panic. She's just kinda pregnant. You guys have no self control. I don't believe I have ever listened to a listening party.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm saving myself, at least for tomorrow's mail.. Does that mean I will go to heaven? Got my 2/27/69 FW in the mail today.. does that mean I am blessed? Shit.. did I miss Easter?
user picture

Member for

6 years

I have to at least listen to just a bit to know what I'm getting into. it could sound like poopy on a stick for all I know. I listened to one track so I basically only groped and fondled in the back seat.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

"I pinky swear I will pull out (my earbuds) before the big jam sequence.." You should be ashamed... :D Save yourself from eternal damnation, avoid the listening party..
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Say 10,000 hail Jerry's and all is forgiven.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Make it a Bruce show and all is forgiven.
product sku